• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think of these vids from DistantKingdom?

Reaction score
DistantKingdom seems to be infamous in the pokemon community for constantly milking SwSh and complaining about small things like the lack of..."realism" in the modern pokemon games, so I'm curious to see what people think of his newest videos about Scarlet and Violet.

Last edited:
I don't care. I've already moved past my former interest in 'caustic critics'; and I try to focus less on bashing and negativity these days. I enjoyed playing Shield despite everything; don't really feel the need to base my opinion on a disaffected nitpicker.

I can't stand people that use negativity to generate views like DistantKingdom or Verlisify.
I've watched a lot of his content, and although I do think he makes...some good points, ya I have to agree that he seriously milks negativity a lot to get views. He did that a LOT for SwSh. Some of his complaints in his videos also seem very...bizarre? Like, he complains that pokemon aren't scaled properly and it's not accurate to what the stats say their size is actually like or something??? Ya, sure, completely ignore that if they did make the pokemon gigantic it would cause serious issues such as clipping through stuff all the damn time.

Like, he complains that pokemon aren't scaled properly and it's not accurate to what the stats say their size is actually like or something??? Ya, sure, completely ignore that if they did make the pokemon gigantic it would cause serious issues such as clipping through stuff all the damn time.
I both agree and disagree with this statement. I agree that having the Pokémon be their complete sizes wouldn’t be the best idea, but at the same time having to depict big Pokémon as being the same size as much smaller Pokémon is just jarring. Even if it isn’t 100% to scale, would it really be that much of a hassle to scale the species in relation to each other instead of making them all roughly the same size?

I both agree and disagree with this statement. I agree that having the Pokémon be their complete sizes wouldn’t be the best idea, but at the same time having to depict big Pokémon as being the same size as much smaller Pokémon is just jarring. Even if it isn’t 100% to scale, would it really be that much of a hassle to scale the species in relation to each other instead of making them all roughly the same size?
Well, ya true. During battles, they could scale the pokemon in battles, Let's Go did at least prove that it's possible. The pokemon following the player in the overworld is when I take issue with his point. Some pokemon would simply end up being too big that they would end up covering the player character and would clip through shit all the time, they simply can't scale the pokemon too big without causing problems. Though, it does still look jarring to say the least.

Last edited:
Don't like his negativity, but he's hardly comparable to Verlisify. DK at least has a point sometimes, and it's not necessary to defend any and all of GF's decisions.

Graphics could look better (not necessarily higher fidelities, but better lighting, placement, etc.) Scaling is off, some animations are jarring, etc. They sell millions of copies, every year, come on people.

This is a man who makes playable barefoot mod models of underage character, had an entire controversy on Twitter over pedophilia and does these mods without an entire development cycle and stakeholders applying influence/pressure that needs to be kept in account.

I think that says all that needs to be said, really.

Like, he complains that pokemon aren't scaled properly and it's not accurate to what the stats say their size is actually like or something??? Ya, sure, completely ignore that if they did make the pokemon gigantic it would cause serious issues such as clipping through stuff all the damn time.
I don't know, having a game where pokemon go giant and then have Wailord be like a fraction of its pokedex size is pretty ridiculous. Specially because earlier 3D games had much more accurate sizes for that pokemon.

Should really just give up already and let people enjoy things.
I have watched some of his videos and at no point did he gave shit for people liking the new pokemon games. He only criticizes the games themselves, not the people that enjoy them.

And why should he give up? If he doesn't like the direction of the series he has every right to criticize it. Same way some people can be positive about the direction of the series, others are allowed to be negative. Let people NOT enjoy things.

Last edited:
I don't know, having a game where pokemon go giant and then have Wailord be like a fraction of its pokedex size is pretty ridiculous. Specially because earlier 3D games had much more accurate sizes for that pokemon.
Yeah, coughs in Battle Revolution / Colosseum.

Anyway, DK also has a point regarding difficulty, road-design in SwSh, etc.

I'm not aware about his mods, nor any controversies.

Have seen some people bashing him for "negativity" (note: unless said criticism has no point or nothing with what's criticizing, criticism does not stand for "negativity", but we'll get to that), but doesn't he make plenty of other videos too? That's including videos where he praises the points he thinks GF gets right?

Also, again, critical thinking/criticism has nothing to do with "negativity", at least not in the derogatory sense. If really there's a point to it, criticism can be good and constructive. If done correctly, it's a good thing for both companies involved and especially for us consumers, as it could maybe lead to brand growth and better products/games.

Exaggerated "positivism" or "complacency", on the other hand, are things that encourage worse products only.

Remind: No matter how much affection we do have for games and even some of developers, at the end of the day, Game Freak, TPC, Nintendo and relatives are business companies still, not our friends. Futhermore, if it's a smart company, it's going to want to know what we want, after all games are made for us to buy, products are made for their consumers, if we (consumers) didn't buy games, there would be no reason for them to be made in the first place (at least in the case of a business company).

So, since he's a fan/potential consumer too, there's absolutely nothing wrong with him voicing his criticisms.

Should really just give up already and let people enjoy things.
No one is stopping anyone from liking things, though? Unless he outright said something on those lines in the video, I don't think it has anything to do with it. That's subjective.

I'm not even a fan of this person, I'm sure i've never watched more than maybe 2 half videos of this guy. But from what I've seen, he at least seems like a good influence to fanbase in that department in the sense he tries to use logic and voice his criticisms. Unlike other influencers who unfortunately try to influence people to act like consumerism zombies sometimes.

This is a man who makes playable barefoot mod models of underage character, had an entire controversy on Twitter over pedophilia...

And what does that have anything to do with it? (see: Argumentum ad hominem) I mean, those things have absolutely nothing to do with his opinions on the games.

But out of curiosity, is this the controversy you're referring to?

I also honestly think you're looking too far into barefoot mod models of underage characters. Legends Arceus had underage barefoot models as well. I could say more on this, but I think it's enough.
...and does these mods without an entire development cycle and stakeholders applying influence/pressure that needs to be kept in account.
Why do they have to be taken into account again? It's TPC/Nintendo who chooses to release games annually to milk more money from fanbase. If there are people who are dissatisfied with that, there's nothing wrong with using their voice to say it.

Just as there would be nothing wrong with you saying you disagree and that you prefer lower quality annual releases. Fair game. Just live and let people live. Million-dollar companies just don't need anyone defending them.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm gonna ignore some of the other issues I have with this for the moment, as well as the issues I have with some people's (bizarre) takes on this, and, instead, I'm just gonna ask:

Why make a thread focusing on a specific PokeTuber and why make it in a forum dedicated to Pokémon Scarlet and Violet discussions? Yeah, his last couple of videos have been on Scarlet and Violet (since that's the newest Pokémon game), but he still brings up past games and their problems as well and his focus in mainly on Pokémon as a whole, so wouldn't this be better suited for the "Other Pokémon Video Games" or the "General Pokémon Discussion" forums? Just asking.

Yeah, I'm gonna ignore some of the other issues I have with this for the moment, as well as the issues I have with some people's (bizarre) takes on this, and, instead, I'm just gonna ask:

Why make a thread focusing on a specific PokeTuber and why make it in a forum dedicated to Pokémon Scarlet and Violet discussions? Yeah, his last couple of videos have been on Scarlet and Violet (since that's the newest Pokémon game), but he still brings up past games and their problems as well and his focus in mainly on Pokémon as a whole, so wouldn't this be better suited for the "Other Pokémon Video Games" or the "General Pokémon Discussion" forums? Just asking.
I thought since these videos were related to SV I should post on...well the SV discussion page, as his videos mostly do talk about SV. Also, I was just curious to see people's thoughts on these two of his videos, since he isn't exactly very well-liked by a lot of people.
I was primarily talking about when pokemon follow the player around in the overworld. In battles, ya, they could probably scale pokemon to their correct sizes, but in the overworld? That would cause an endless amount of issues.

Last edited:
I was primarily talking about when pokemon follow the player around in the overworld. In battles, ya, they could probably scale pokemon to their correct sizes, but in the overworld? That would cause an endless amount of issues.
The pokemon sizes were one of its lesser problems, the whole thing just looks rough and it was clearly not intended to be in the game in the first place.

And me personally i would have taken actual difficulty options, more postgame content and more side activities akin to Contests and Pokeathlon over walking pokemon in SwSh.

Yeah, walking Pokémon were a joke in SwSh. I don't think it even fits 3D games as such. Unless it's a Let's Go-like artstyle.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom