• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think of these vids from DistantKingdom?

I thought since these videos were related to SV I should post on...well the SV discussion page, as his videos mostly do talk about SV.
Yeah, his last couple of videos have been on Scarlet and Violet (since that's the newest Pokémon game), but he still brings up past games and their problems as well and his focus in mainly on Pokémon as a whole
Anyways, onto the topic at hand, I haven't watched his stuff in... years? (I really can't remember, but I think the last time I saw one of his videos was before PLA was even announced), so my opinion on him isn't that comprehensive. That said, him being critical of the recent Pokémon games is perfectly fine. Even if he were to focus on nitpicks only, they are still a form valid criticism and when you have enough nitpicks to make a 10-minute video based a teaser, it should be concerning enough to warrant a discussion. I could do without his need to reference mods multiple times in his videos, though (and that's mainly because I'm not a fan of mods anymore, rather than him not having a point, since he does use them as emphasis of a bigger point).

Saying that he does it for views... well, no duh, he's a YouTuber. Every YouTuber does it "for views", to an extent. That is completely irrelevant to whether he has a point or not and dismissing what he does by saying that he's doing it "for the views" comes off as ignorant and somewhat snotty. Not to mention that, if he really is doing all this just for the sake of "milking negativity", him releasing short videos once a month really isn't a great strategy at all.

Complaining about him trying to invalidate your enjoyment of the new games is cringe, since, if you take just a few minutes to watch one of his recent videos (like the ones posted here, in the VERY FIRST POST ON THIS THREAD), you'll see that he's critical of the games and the games only (and, sometimes, he even brings up positives about them as well). He doesn't bring up the general response fans had to the games in his "latest" videos and, even if he did, he most definitely isn't shaming people for enjoying them. Honestly, this whole deal reeks of twitter brain rot, where you just have to make a bad-faith assumption about someone who's critical of something you like, without even engaging with what they have to say (because "Why would you watch/read what someone you hate has to say?"), without even realising the implications that come from making such statements.

Comparing him to Verlisify is even cringier, considering the latter is a garbage human being who: blamed a competitive website for "destroying" his love life, constantly attempted to start witch-hunts against specific competitive players with little-to-no proof, often tried to start beefs with other PokeTubers for the sake of drama and always tried to spin it so that he would come off as the victim, told some detractors to drink blea... I mean "base liquids", refused to have a battle with a child suffering from cancer (even though it was one of the kids' dying wishes) and is an overall vitriolic and heinous person. Surely, we can agree that Verlisify is far, far worse than DK, to the point they're not even comparable, right? Right??

People shaming him because he has a thing for feet almost makes me wanna shame straight people for their interest in the opposite sex's reproductive organs. Seriously, what does him having a foot thing have to do with anything? How does this prove or disprove anything about his arguments? How does this affect the points he makes in any way? And how does a harmless fetish like this one insinuate something reprehensible about his character, to the point where his takes become dismissible? Short answer: It doesn't. And the fact that people feel the need to bring it up and laugh at it just says more about them than it does about DK. Add it to the pile of dishonesty and fallacies, I guess.

And, finally, the... ahem pedophilia controversy. Honestly, had no idea about this (since I don't use twitter for more than meme-searching or image-searching and I avoid drama and political discussions on that hellhole for the sake of my sanity) and, as such, I lack a lot of context regarding the whole thing. What I will say is, regardless of semantics, attraction to minors is wrong societally and morally and can have dangerous and harmful consequences, even if it isn't an outright crime in the legal sense. Doesn't change anything regarding his point on Pokémon games, since that twitter debacle is entirely irrelevant to his videos on Pokémon. It does call his character into question, especially when combined with the whole Marnie swimsuit mod of which I know virtually nothing about (other than the fact that it exists, either physically or conceptually). But since this thread is about, and I quote, "these vids from DistantKingdom", which focus on the direction the latest Pokémon games are taking, and not on him as a person... well, you get the point (I hope).

I am not following him, but I occasionally come across his videos. The vibe I get by him is not that he is spreading hatred towards the audience, and I believe he loves Pokémon as much as just any of us do. But the difference is, he demands when things are not working properly (in his point of view, obviously). I can't say whether he makes valid points in general since I am not seeing his content all that much, but I most definitely understand some of his points that he is making from what I've seen, especially when GameFreak straight out lied to us regarding the Pokémon models being individual and specialized upon the release of Sword and Shield (to justify the Dexit) only to use the exact same models again with higher resolution. The games sell millions every year. Pokémon is literally the franchise with the highest amount of profit in the history. And when you see that the models are still not having any physical contact during the Pokémon battles, you just go and ask yourself what is going on.

Should really just give up already and let people enjoy things.
This is a very interesting point of view for me. He is not bashing individuals, he is not telling people to not enjoy things. He, as an individual, has opinions and he is freely expressing those. There are some who agree, there are some who disagree. Silencing someone from speaking benefits our environment in exactly which way? Different opinions being spoken does not harm us, but censorship is really something that we should not get behind.

This is a very interesting point of view for me. He is not bashing individuals, he is not telling people to not enjoy things. He, as an individual, has opinions and he is freely expressing those. There are some who agree, there are some who disagree. Silencing someone from speaking benefits our environment in exactly which way? Different opinions being spoken does not harm us, but censorship is really something that we should not get behind.
It honestly feels like a lot of people take the criticism of a piece of media as a criticism on them, like liking that piece of media somehow means that they are being personally attacked. Which is absolutely ridiculous.

And honestly, i find complaining about critics of media to be far more obnoxious because the latter at least are not personally attacking anyone, while the former are just criticising the person themselves and not any of their criticisms. They are just going "they are being too negative" or "being too toxic" instead of actually engaging with their criticism.

in-thread 24.10.22
Stepping in real quick. We're fine with the discussion of Poketubers, so long as the discussion stays constructive and doesn't devolve into a flamewar. This thread however, is already in intersite drama territory so we'd prefer everyone to be more civil from here on out.
Any future discussions involving Poketuber drama will be considered intersite drama and will result in a warning for Flaming". We'd prefer not to gain any sort of negative attention from said content creators. Thanks!

Oh, him? I unsubbed during the BDSP kerfuffles because I was willing to give that game a fair chance, while he and everyone else seemed dead-set on indiscriminately tossing the same flames as they did for SwSh. It was clear we weren't gonna agree on anything so I just cut my losses and walked out.
Haven't heard head or hide of him since and don't see the point in reconnecting with that channel. The hive of negativity offers nothing for me anymore.

His entire gimmick is hating on Generation VIII games and believing he can do a better job at Pokémon game development than GF themselves. Yeah, that's definitely a skip for me.

Like, I watched one of his videos a while back, just to see what its really about, and OMG the negativity about the Generation VIII games is real lmao. I really don't understand why he thinks spreading hate is a good idea; now sure, criticizing the games is totally fine if you feel they're not up to standard, but his videos literally give off an energy that shuns and deters Pokémon fans from appreciating these games, and that's not healthy in any manner.

People who hate on things for content are sad. I don't love Legends, But I Don't Hate It, and I couldn't watch his videos after the trash he talked about SV. Also, realism in Pokemon? You came to the wrong franchise friendo.

Anyways, onto the topic at hand, I haven't watched his stuff in... years? (I really can't remember, but I think the last time I saw one of his videos was before PLA was even announced), so my opinion on him isn't that comprehensive. That said, him being critical of the recent Pokémon games is perfectly fine. Even if he were to focus on nitpicks only, they are still a form valid criticism and when you have enough nitpicks to make a 10-minute video based a teaser, it should be concerning enough to warrant a discussion. I could do without his need to reference mods multiple times in his videos, though (and that's mainly because I'm not a fan of mods anymore, rather than him not having a point, since he does use them as emphasis of a bigger point).

Saying that he does it for views... well, no duh, he's a YouTuber. Every YouTuber does it "for views", to an extent. That is completely irrelevant to whether he has a point or not and dismissing what he does by saying that he's doing it "for the views" comes off as ignorant and somewhat snotty. Not to mention that, if he really is doing all this just for the sake of "milking negativity", him releasing short videos once a month really isn't a great strategy at all.

Complaining about him trying to invalidate your enjoyment of the new games is cringe, since, if you take just a few minutes to watch one of his recent videos (like the ones posted here, in the VERY FIRST POST ON THIS THREAD), you'll see that he's critical of the games and the games only (and, sometimes, he even brings up positives about them as well). He doesn't bring up the general response fans had to the games in his "latest" videos and, even if he did, he most definitely isn't shaming people for enjoying them. Honestly, this whole deal reeks of twitter brain rot, where you just have to make a bad-faith assumption about someone who's critical of something you like, without even engaging with what they have to say (because "Why would you watch/read what someone you hate has to say?"), without even realising the implications that come from making such statements.

Comparing him to Verlisify is even cringier, considering the latter is a garbage human being who: blamed a competitive website for "destroying" his love life, constantly attempted to start witch-hunts against specific competitive players with little-to-no proof, often tried to start beefs with other PokeTubers for the sake of drama and always tried to spin it so that he would come off as the victim, told some detractors to drink blea... I mean "base liquids", refused to have a battle with a child suffering from cancer (even though it was one of the kids' dying wishes) and is an overall vitriolic and heinous person. Surely, we can agree that Verlisify is far, far worse than DK, to the point they're not even comparable, right? Right??

People shaming him because he has a thing for feet almost makes me wanna shame straight people for their interest in the opposite sex's reproductive organs. Seriously, what does him having a foot thing have to do with anything? How does this prove or disprove anything about his arguments? How does this affect the points he makes in any way? And how does a harmless fetish like this one insinuate something reprehensible about his character, to the point where his takes become dismissible? Short answer: It doesn't. And the fact that people feel the need to bring it up and laugh at it just says more about them than it does about DK. Add it to the pile of dishonesty and fallacies, I guess.

And, finally, the... ahem pedophilia controversy. Honestly, had no idea about this (since I don't use twitter for more than meme-searching or image-searching and I avoid drama and political discussions on that hellhole for the sake of my sanity) and, as such, I lack a lot of context regarding the whole thing. What I will say is, regardless of semantics, attraction to minors is wrong societally and morally and can have dangerous and harmful consequences, even if it isn't an outright crime in the legal sense. Doesn't change anything regarding his point on Pokémon games, since that twitter debacle is entirely irrelevant to his videos on Pokémon. It does call his character into question, especially when combined with the whole Marnie swimsuit mod of which I know virtually nothing about (other than the fact that it exists, either physically or conceptually). But since this thread is about, and I quote, "these vids from DistantKingdom", which focus on the direction the latest Pokémon games are taking, and not on him as a person... well, you get the point (I hope).
About the... controversy. WTAF!!!

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 9.48.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 9.49.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 9.49.19 AM.png

Nice opinion Versilfy, but, who tf asked

Last edited:
I've found something that will make you hate Verlisify even more

I'm a big fan of his videos tbh, and would never compare him in the slightest to Verlisify lol, every single one of Verlisify's opinions are unwarranted, biased, and entirely purposely negative, without any actual constructive criticism.

What I've noticed with DistantKingdoms videos is that he is always critical but he does this fairly, he points out issues, addresses how it could of been changed or made better, and questions why GF (and other mentioned parties involved in creating Pokémon) aren't making steps to change things that I would say a big majority of the community has issues with in modern Pokémon games.

He doesn't have a stone cold and aggressive attitude towards his opinions like Verlisify does; he actually brings warranted conversation to the table and his video are interesting to watch imo.

I'm a big fan of his videos tbh, and would never compare him in the slightest to Verlisify lol, every single one of Verlisify's opinions are unwarranted, biased, and entirely purposely negative, without any actual constructive criticism.

What I've noticed with DistantKingdoms videos is that he is always critical but he does this fairly, he points out issues, addresses how it could of been changed or made better, and questions why GF (and other mentioned parties involved in creating Pokémon) aren't making steps to change things that I would say a big majority of the community has issues with in modern Pokémon games.

He doesn't have a stone cold and aggressive attitude towards his opinions like Verlisify does; he actually brings warranted conversation to the table and his video are interesting to watch imo.
It seems a lot of people just read the title of the video and make an assumption that he's a raging manchild crapping on the recent pokemon games. Because why bother actually listening to the other side when you can just turn everything into a "us vs them" situation?

Honestly at the start I think he raised fair points. Sword and shield were rough. I understand his frustrations with the franchise, bc each switch game does feel rushed in some aspect. Whether that’s graphics, animation, story, gameplay, etc. But he can go overboard at times and especially how youtube incentivises negative content, since it does better

I haven’t kept up with him in ages. Last thing I remember was seeing his mods for SS/BDSP reintroducing proper scaling, follow pokemon, better animation/sprites, etc So he seemed good there, I’m glad he was actually doing something about those problems and not just complaining about it. It’s a shame that this stuff wasn’t implemented in the base game really

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom