• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think of Type-based Invincibility?

Morningstar

Memeber
Reaction score
all the talk about nerfing the fairy-type (and specifically changing their affinity to Dragon-type moves to a resistance) has me thinking...

As you know, there are some pokemon types that are invulnerable to moves of another type. These moves are:

1. Dark: Invulnerable to psychic-type attacks.
  2. Ghost: Invulnerable to both Normal and Fighting-type attacks.
  3. Normal: Invulnerable to Ghost-type attacks.
  4. Fairy: Invulnerable to Dragons
  5. Ground: Invulnerable to Electric-type attacks.
  6. Steel: Invulnerable to poison-type attacks.
  7. and Flying: Invulnerable to Ground-type attacks.
A related note are abilities that incur invincibility to certain types as the main effect or a side effect like levitate, Lightning Rod and Flash Fire. But I want to ask about the type, not the abilities.

Now of the 6 types that can't be harmed by other types, 2 of which were made to counter the type they are invulnerable to specifically. Dark was introduced in Gold and Silver with an emphasis of bringing the then omnipotent Psychic type down a few pegs and Fairies were introduced in X and Y to do the same to Dragons. However what I want to ask if you think type-based invincibility is fair or not. Do you think the game would be better if every pokemon would take damage from every move? do you think that only the types brought in to specifically counter another type (Dark and fairy) would be better off with their immunities turning into resistances? Or do you think that this kind of type interaction is fine as is?

Last edited:
Idk if this is strictly what you're asking about, but I think there's one change I would make personally. It has to do with invincibilities to certain types of attack, not the type itself. Like, grass are immune to powder attacks. That makes sense. The one that gets me though, is dark being immune to priority moves. If anything, I would have thought psychic would be immune to that, given how psychic terrain negates priority. Sure, that would make things like sucker punch completely useless against psychic, which would change a lot, but idk, it would make more sense in my brain.

Sorry if that isn't quite what the topic is about.

You forgot Fairy's immunity to Dragon.

No, type-based immunities keep people on their toes. But that said, I don't really think they should add anymore. Too many would create issues, I feel.
The only one I think I'd be in favor of would be Ice (and possibly Grass) getting an immunity to Water type moves.

I think Ice being neutral to Water is fine. After all, ice does tend to melt in water given the water is certain to be at a higher temperature. And Grass having an immunity to Water I could see much more easily, but even plant life can drown when there's an excess of water.

In any case, I think type immunities are fine. They keep things interesting and reward successfully predicting an opponent's attack with safe switch-ins and negated damage. Not to mention cool tricks like partnering a Storm Drain Pokemon with one that knows Surf in Double Battles.

Type's that are inmuned tend to be otherwise powerful types.

....except Poison.

You already covered Psychic and Dragon, but stop and think how many things can actually put a halt to a rampaging Flying, Electric, Fighting, or Ghost type. Not many.

Your best bets are, respectively, Rock/Electric, Grass, Psychic, and Dark. And the thing about Electric and Psychic is that they have low defense stats which are needed to properly tank hits from the mostly physical Flying and Fighting types.

I'd say type-based immunities are needed for balancing reasons.

After all, ice does tend to melt in water given the water is certain to be at a higher temperature.
causes-polar-ice-caps-melt_fa6d6b2b5c47857a.jpg

I don't know if that would be the best counterargument. .__.

BXZLtGa.jpg

@Envoy: Yeah, it's a shame Steel being immune to Poison makes so much sense. It doesn't do Poison too many favors.

In that vein, since Generation VI, Ghost-types are immune to moves and Abilities that would otherwise prevent them from switching out. The only move I'm not entirely sure about is Spirit Shackle given that it's a Ghost-type move, but if Shadow Tag doesn't effect Ghost-types, I can't imagine Spirit Shackle's secondary effect would either.

It's a standard RPG trend, it'd be weird for Pokemon not to have it

And ice caps exist in the first place because they receive less solar radiation than other parts of the world. Their existence is irrelevant to the existence of entropy and the relative difficulty of turning water into ice as opposed to turning ice into water.

1. Dark: Invulnerable to psychic-type attacks. are immune to prankster (psychic type move Miracle Eye takes that immunity)
  2. Ghost: Invulnerable to both Normal and Fighting-type attacks. are immune to trapping ( Scrappy and Foresight )
  3. Normal: Invulnerable to Ghost-type attacks. (there is no way to use ghost type moves on them only Curse(should be a priority move))
  4. Fairy: Invulnerable to Dragons (nothing breaking that rule)
  5. Ground: Invulnerable to Electric-type attacks. (no way to break that)
  6. Steel: Invulnerable to poison-type attacks. (Corrosion now exists)
  7. and Flying: Invulnerable to Ground-type attacks. (Smack Down and Gravity but there should be something better or they could work better)
there are magnet rise, levitate and telekinesis but those moves and abilities only prevent ground type moves and its a shame that they not react to other types too.
If telekinesis hits something that is flying or has levitate it should put it down on earth...
we have Gravity but it not blocks flying type moves and doesnt damage a leviatating or flying foe in the same turn.
the same goes for magnet rise, its a pitty that you cant use it on oponents and have a diffrent effect.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom