• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think Satoshi's last name is?

Midnight Blue

~Love Is Hard To Define~
Reaction score
Do you think it's Tajiri? Like Satoshi Tajiri? It seems in the Japanese versions they really do not focus on last names.

Really? None at all?

Hmm... That's a toughie. Gonna take some research <3

*runs off somewhere*

Whoa this is hard. Research proves nothing. :eek:

My best guess is Matsumoto, his original Japanese voice actress. It's all I've got for now.

Does he even have a last name? Satoshi could just be his given full name.

Birth Certificate Clerk: Full Name of Baby?
Hanako: Um, Satoshi.
BCC: Sa To Shi?
Hanako: Nope just one single name, Satoshi?
BCC: *Thinking* Great what's going to happen when there's another Full Name Satoshi out there?

I somehow allways thought Hanako is Hanako's last name, so Satoshi is Hanako Satoshi in Japanese. But I am probabely wrong.

I don't think he has one. He just uses the name of his town when introducing himself. "I'm Satoshi of Masara Town!"

So I guess the problem will only arise if ANOTHER Satoshi crops up in Masara Town. xD

Satoshi Katsumi is his full name. Where do you think Ketchum came from? XD

"Name?"
"Satoshi."
"Last name?"
"Satoshi."
"That's your first name. What's your last name?"
"Satoshi."
"Okay, what's your first name?"
"Satoshi."
"What's your first AND last name?"
"Satoshi."

Yup, there's nothing else, really.

This Summer, get ready to eXperience Satoshi Yoshi like you've never eXperienced him before.... to the EXTREME!!!!

Satoshi Gettodaze

Nice play off of the English name, but OUCH, the obviousness of it kind of hurts. xDD

I'd so die if he said it in a sentence with daze tacked on. SATOSHI GETTODAZE-DAZE!

That'd be as bad as Naruto being Naruto Dattebayo. NARUTO DATTEBAYO DATTEBAYO!

At least they say their family names first.

-falls over-

^ XD

I like the sound of Satoshi Matsumoto, actually.
This makes me want all the main characters' last names to be their VA's last names.

Matsumoto Satoshi
Suzuki Haruka (and Suzuki Masato I suppose lol since his sister > him in terms of main characters)
Toyoguchi Hikari
Seki Kenji
Iizuka Kasumi
Ueda Takeshi

It's sad that the only one we know for sure is Ookido Shigeru, and it's still funny because rather than call Okido-hakase "ojii-chan," Shigeru calls his gramps hakase as well..

Satoshi Gettodaze
:lol:

:lol:

*sigh* Okay, I finished lol'ing now!

If we're doing seiyuu...
Pikachu Ootani
Nyasu Inuyama
Sonansu Ueda
Moukazaru Hayashibara

;D Okay, I'll stop.

Do you think it's Tajiri? Like Satoshi Tajiri? It seems in the Japanese versions they really do not focus on last names.

Personally I think it's "Motimiya", but that's purely for the Digimon reference.

I've done some research on this, and "satoshi" can mean "guidance", and came up with "Masutano Satoshi" (A master's guidance)

I'd laugh if his surname was Hadou (Hadou Satoshi -> "Wave Guidance"), but I suspect that would have come up already.

P.S. The more I see Aestivate's icon, the more I want it as a T-Shirt.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom