• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think the cities and towns in X and Y will be named after?

I don't think the car idea would work, since, y'know, those names are licensed and everything, and it'd cost a fair bit of money to use them. And I'd only see the car companies agreeing to that if the cars actually appeared in the game instead of simply being namesakes for towns...

Then again, I believe the Persona Series actually bases all the High Schools in the various games off Japanese car companies, mimicking their logo and going for a literal translation of their name...I think? Like the one in Persona 2 is Seven Sisters, and uses the same constellation as Subaru (the japanese name of the "Seven Sisters" star cluster), and then in 4 you've got the "unintentional" logo of the Yasogami High School which looks just like the Mercedes Benz logo.

I'd personally like musical related names, would fit the European theme imo
I could see this working really well. Preludo City could be the starting town, and the cities could all have music that fits the musical styles chosen for the names. Imagine a Cantanta City with choir chanting(Cantata is usually used for religious music) or a Baroque city with the appropriate emotional feeling behind it.

Hmm. Isshu/Unova's cities are named after seals and patterns/cloud formations. Unless I missed out on something that connects the dots on them, I think that was pretty random.

So, with that random reasoning in mind, I'd say XY's cities and towns would be named after vegetables. Cabbageton City, Celeridge Town, Radishore Island... Yeah, that could work.

This made me laugh more than it should have Maybe they could do fruits too

but on another note...
I don't know, they could name the cities after body parts lol, parts of the brain specifically like hippocampus
oh lol that gave me another idea, Greek mythology

It could be anything, actually; they could just pick random words from the dictionary and string them together for all we know

Last edited:
I don't think the car idea would work, since, y'know, those names are licensed and everything, and it'd cost a fair bit of money to use them. And I'd only see the car companies agreeing to that if the cars actually appeared in the game instead of simply being namesakes for towns...

Then again, I believe the Persona Series actually bases all the High Schools in the various games off Japanese car companies, mimicking their logo and going for a literal translation of their name...I think? Like the one in Persona 2 is Seven Sisters, and uses the same constellation as Subaru (the japanese name of the "Seven Sisters" star cluster), and then in 4 you've got the "unintentional" logo of the Yasogami High School which looks just like the Mercedes Benz logo.

I'd personally like musical related names, would fit the European theme imo
I could see this working really well. Preludo City could be the starting town, and the cities could all have music that fits the musical styles chosen for the names. Imagine a Cantanta City with choir chanting(Cantata is usually used for religious music) or a Baroque city with the appropriate emotional feeling behind it.

I read this as Cantina City and imagined a city where the starwars cantina theme played constantly...im not sure what this says about me lol.

I don't want them to be named after something specific. But if they are, I'm sure the theme won't have anything to do with France.

I'm thinking each city will have either an x or a y in its name, though I also think that would be lame or pedestrian.

I agree that they should be named after food. It's France. They are serious about their cuisine.

I think that maybe naming some cities and towns after famous artists like painters and poets would be a good idea especially if the entire region is based off of France.

How about a naming trend that isn't too French?

Not that I'm too against the idea, but none of the previous generations really had towns or cities named after things from the regions they were based on. I'm pretty sure colors aren't that big of a thing in the actual Kanto region in Japan, nor do I think patterns or cloud formations are that big to New York City. They were all just random themes, and it could very well be the same here too.

Although I do like the idea of towns named after wines and cheeses, when combined.

Unova went out of the window with cloud-related names...why can't we have cities that are named after something else naturey....or animal names..One thing that really annoys me is that even after 5 generations there hasn't been a single city or tow named after a pokemon...it technically doesn't make sense if you're plying a pokemon game....there are so many legendaries and important pokemon that are so revered and respected and it doesnt really make sense if there isn't a city named after that pokemon

Unova went out of the window with cloud-related names...why can't we have cities that are named after something else naturey....or animal names..One thing that really annoys me is that even after 5 generations there hasn't been a single city or tow named after a pokemon...it technically doesn't make sense if you're plying a pokemon game....there are so many legendaries and important pokemon that are so revered and respected and it doesn't really make sense if there isn't a city named after that pokemon

I don't see why Towns and Cities should have a requirement of being named after Pokemon just because they're set in the Pokemon World. By your logic, everything else should be named after Pokemon too. I prefer they create their own unique names for towns and cities.

Lol, all you guys talking about cuisine named towns is making me hungry. xD.
But I agree with Dawnfan. I get there's been temples and such, but a city named Arceus City or something sounds cool in my idea. Or Yvteal Town or something...
I like the idea of naming them also after music and such. I can't contribute any names since I'm not very good at coming up with names...But I will go ahead and say I basically agree with everybody here on their ideas and whatnot. :D You guys are a creative bunch, let me tell you.

It'd be cool if they named the cities/towns after constellations and/or certain stars. Especially since there was what looked like an observatory in one of the early gameplay trailers.

It can't be French related names as even though thats where the region is based off that area, look at what they did for Unova and other regions. It is hard to determine what the names could come from as there are many random things in the world but I would have to say, amino acids due to the DNA related names.

I din't say that ALL the towns should be named after pokemon, I said some...there are shrines and temples like Dark Type Princess said, but why not a town?Take Lacuonsa in Unova for example...everyone goes on about kyurem and its carnivorous behavior....so why should'nt it have been named after it?Then again it's your opinion...

I din't say that ALL the towns should be named after pokemon, I said some...there are shrines and temples like Dark Type Princess said, but why not a town?Take Lacuonsa in Unova for example...everyone goes on about kyurem and its carnivorous behavior....so why should'nt it have been named after it?Then again it's your opinion...

Realistically speaking, why would you name a town after a story (that was never proven to be real) of a terrifying monster that comes to your town and eats people?

Not exactly good for the town & its reputation. It'd make people not want to live there.

I know you didn't say all towns should be, I never stated you said that. What I said is that any town shouldn't be required to be named after a Pokemon just because they're in a Pokemon world. It makes plenty of sense to me that they don't name towns and cities after Pokemon. I wouldn't dislike a town or two to be named after Pokemon, however, I do prefer the way they name their towns now.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom