• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you use the markings for?

Osprey

Nah, not possible.
Reaction score
They've been around since Gen. III. I stared at them as a seven-year-old and wondered just what they were there for. Apparently, they exist to help organize Pokemon in the boxes better. Now there are 6 marks, ●, ▲, ■, ♥, ★ and ♦. I have a living dex, so I use each mark to categorize each Pokemon by Generation; Bulbasaur through Mew are marked with the circle, Chikorita through Celebi are marked with the triangle, and so on. How do you use them?

Great question!

When I was breeding Pokemon in Gen IV, I used the markings to correspond with the IV potentials of the newly hatched Pokemon. A decent potential received the first mark, an above-average potential the second mark, the relatively superior potential the third mark, and the outstanding potential overall the fourth mark. This made it easy for me to release undesirable specimens en masse without having to level them all up. Not that I promote Pokemon eugenics or anything... :spin:

I sometimes used the last mark, the one available furthest to the right, to indicate if the Pokemon had a favorable nature.

I assign a stat to each of them (●=HP, ▲=Attack, ■=Defense, ♥=Special Attack, ★=Special Defense, ♦=Speed) and mark each stat with 31 IVs.

IVs mostly.

Sometimes to specify which are my primary Pokemon and secondary Pokemon (ie. which ones I use the most and the ones I just use as back ups).

Also, if I have more then one Pokemon of the same species and neither of them have nicknames, it's helpful there too.

Personally, I used them to categorize Pokémon by both rarity and also to mark "Party Members" (AKA my permanent team.)
●: Common (Bidoof, Zubat, most bird/bug Pokémon, Ect.)
■: Uncommon (Magmar, Pancham, Ect.)
♦: Rare (Riolu, Dratini, Feebas, Ect.)
★: One-of-a-kind (Gift Pokémon, Starters, Legendaries, Event Pokémon, Ect.)
▲: Pokémon that I used on my team but are not permanent (Think guest party members like in JRPGs.)
♥: Permanent Party Members

I had no idea XD
Until someone told me, and yeah it's for the IVs.

I never really used them until Gen VI, and I used them to mark 31 IVs like others have said.

31 IVs, I don't even know what the symbols are, I just look at their position. They make breeding a lot more convenient.

I haven't really used those symbols at all, but the IV idea is a good one.

I don't really care about breeding for IVs, so I don't mark them like most people do. I do mark HAs with the star mark, though.

Mainly for IVS, also for which pokemon I used in my playthrough since they are special to me.

I usually use the markings if I'm having a mass egg production/breeding.

I usually marked it based on batches or on per day basis and as mentioned here, for IV purposes.

It is usually a genius idea for Game Freak to come up with that kind of system.

Good work!

● = 5IVs (I release any Pokemon that don't have the IVs in the right place so I don't use the other system)
▲ = Possibly hacked Pokemon or a clone
■ = 6IVs
♥ = Favourite (usually ex team members from playthroughs or legends I like and use often)
★ = Shiny
♦ = Hidden ability

I never actually used them but the IV idea sounds good, though I have very few 31 IV Pokémon so...

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom