• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DISCUSSION: What do you use to write your stories?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. They/Them
There are many methods for writing a story and many mediums on which to write them... which ones are yours? Do you use Microsoft Word? Or maybe you prefer a more exotic word processing program instead... even NotePad, perhaps? Better yet, do you even use a computer for writing at all, or is paper with pen or pencil your preference instead? Discuss!

The method that I've been using for story-related things is typing everything down in a program called TextEdit, which is essentially the rough Macintosh equivalent of WordPad on Windows. That may sound painful, but when it comes to the art of writing, I personally prefer my "canvas" to be as simple as possible. And in the case of TextEdit, that means no rulers or margins, no "pages", and no word counters (although that last one is something that I miss). This is all actually quite useful from my perspective because it allows me to see exactly what the story will look like in an environment that looks similar to how most people will read it (like on a forum or an FF.net-style website).

That said, I've also been increasingly writing stuff down on plain old paper. You see, one of the problems I've found myself having with writing is that I'll have ideas in my head at one point and then forget them later without them ever having been written down. Naturally, that means that what could have otherwise been an awesome idea is instead lost forever, and even if I can somewhat recover what I was thinking about at a later time, it will never be quite the same as it was originally... often for the worse. Meanwhile, writing them down on paper allows me to take better advantage of the spontaneity of my thoughts and save them anywhere and anytime, especially given that paper and the tools to write on them with are relatively easy to find and take with you wherever you go.

Now, you may or may not be thinking: couldn't you do the exact same thing on a smartphone? Well, I originally thought about doing the above on just that, but for me, typing things down on a virtual keyboard just doesn't compare to the experience of writing things down on actual paper with a nice pen. Also, as far as electronic devices in general go: I find that paper is a far more flexible and liberating "canvas" compared to the average word processing program, because you can write anywhere and any way you want instantly, with complete and utter freedom from the "hard" mechanics of most computer software that can only attempt to simulate the above without ever really getting there.

With all of the above said, I can't imagine myself writing an entire story completely on paper. And indeed, I'm using it primarily for notes and summaries at the moment. For a full draft of an actual story - and especially a final draft - I'm much more inclined to do that on a computer since writing on paper is still as slow as molasses compared to typing... and that's before the all-too-necessary transcribing phase comes into play. To those writers who write everything down on paper and then write it all again on computer later... seriously, how do you guys even do it!?

Good old pen and paper. I've noticed that if you're used to writing it's not significantly slower than typing. It's not held at the mercy of battery life, or worse still, wi-fi connections. It's never worth stealing, so it can be done as publicaly as you like ...

But all that being said, the real reason I write on paper is that for some reason I just can't be creative looking at a screen. I've spoken a bit about how I do this before, but to recap, I find that when it comes to planning and mind-mapping out notes there's nothing digital that can easily replace the ability to write these things down.

Typing up the finished draft is a bit of a pain sometimes, but in practice it becomes the last stage of drafting. I typically write and redraft in small chunks at a time, so writing it all up in full gives me another perspective on what I've written.

I write exclusively with EditPlus3, which is more or less Notepad but on mega steroids. Courier font, white text on a black screen, I don't feel like you can get better than that. Having a history as a programmer I felt very comfortable working with it when transitioning into writing, and I'm at the point where I can type out my formatting tags for forums on auto pilot and don't even notice them when I'm reading back.

I don't use paper at all, except for the week I was away from my PC. I filled almost an entire spiral notebook's worth of material that week. I have a feeling that if I had a job where I was away from home for long periods of time, I'd use paper more often, but until that point, I'm in a position where I can note down whatever idea flutters into my head before I forget it. Regarding smartphone writing... I know a couple people who do it and I have to wonder how. I haven't had one for long so I'm not used to the keyboard yet, but even then my typing is worse than a drunken sailor trying to type up a love letter in a hurricane. I can average a single word every few seconds which would take waaaaaay too much time to be useful.

I use Microsoft Word for all my writing. Simple, sure, but it works. I'd like to get a writing program like Scrivener at some point, as I want to keep all my writing material in one file rather than many, but until then, Word does the trick. I will say, though, it is much easier for me to make my edits if I'm looking at it on paper, but since my chapters tend to be around fifteen pages each in my formatting, I decided against killing trees. I do miss it though.

I don't actually have that much material for my personal PMD universe than the general outlines I make for my writing, and those get gradually deleted as I type them. I think I'll write out my next outline on paper, as I don't want to look at two documents at once when I don't have to. See, I actually do a lot of my typing on my phone, using a fancy Bluetooth keyboard and a kickstand. It's surprisingly portable, provided that there's a flat surface. If I just had a pad of paper for keeping track of my outlines/worldbuilding, I'd be set (the mobile version of Word only allows one document at a time...).

I don't know about others, but I always write on the same spot where I can concentrate in peace (or something near it); my own desk at home. For programs, Libre Office Writer for the story, summaries, biographies and LibreOffice Calc for timelines, Pokemon rosters and quick sketches of events. Libre Office is a free (and open source) office suite, no need to pay for Word. As a touch typist, software tester and IT freak, I'm quite attached to good equipment. To that purpose, I recently received a 30 year old mechanical keyboard from the US that was restored to my specifications. It's the one keyboard I'll use to write all of my work; a IBM Model F122 (tada!).

In some occassions, such as when I read a book that triggers all sorts of ideas (a mark of a good book), I keep an antique notepad with an antique pen at hand to jot down (antique?) notes about scenes, characters, plot twists or simply a great line that pops up in my head. Lots of great ideas were born like that. No, they're not antique.

I write my stories in vim. I find it easier to concentrate on the story and writing that way (ie wothout any fonts or flashy page breaks or stuff). For timelines etc, I typically start writing them down on paper for the first sketches, and then I transfer them too to vim or LibreOffice. My third tool is a set of python scripts that I wrote to simulate battles to see what the likely outcomes would be (then I may change the outcome at will, though, so I see the outcomes more as a recommendation than as something I have to follow).

I use Microsoft Word because it's the one I'm most comfortable with. Sure I don't use every tool it offers, but it works for me. I've tried Notepad before, but it didn't draw me in really.

I currently use Scrivener for Windows. I used to use many others - Word, OpenOffice, LibreOffice, Google Docs - but I recently switched to Scrivener and I love the features it offers me. I have a format preset so I don't have to worry about fiddling with that, and I use the corkboard mechanic to organise my notes and view scenes and chapters in any configuration I need to.

Of course, I sometimes jot down bits and pieces in a paper notebook or on my phone. You gotta write when the inspiration hits!

Something I forgot to mention in my earlier post is the tool I now use for outlining: Microsoft OneNote. Its notebook organization makes it so I can keep a tab labelled story (say, PMD: Unequivocant) and then have a group of other sections (Characters, Settings, Chapter Outlines) then have multiple pages within them. Plus, with its fantastic cross-compatibility between desktop and mobile, I can easily keep track of my outlines no matter what medium I'm typing with.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to best organize Word for my writing purposes, as I want to streamline my writing as much as possible. I especially want to figure out the best way to make transitions that are compatible with FanFiction while also keeping consistency with the forums and my actual documents. No need to go into detail about that though.

I just use Microsoft Word, for both writing and notes. It's clean enough for writing - nothing fancy, but that's fine. And my notes are a literal mess that I have to Ctrl+F and my memory of keywords to find anything since there's no semblance of organization. I've looked into programs like Scrivener, but I think I've just come to accept that haphazard notes are the best for me. If I try to organize them, I'll obsess over them and spend time planning but never, ever writing. And I've never really had issues transfer into my writing itself with this method, so. *shrugs* I guess sometimes I forget to implement ideas I meant to, but the alternative I came up with is usually better anyway.

I've tried Scrivener but found it wanting. Not even a timeline function. When you' re writing a story covering a year with a dozen characters hopping all over Kanto doing all sorts of things you'd better keep a good tab on the flow of time or you're gonna wish you did. I keep a tight timeline in a spreadsheet document with on another tab a list of the plot twist/desire changes for all characters that trigger new story events. I didn't found any such function in Scrivener last time I tried it, I don't know if this has changed.

I It's a scifi forum, I believe. So not writing software, but certainly a digital tool to develop one's worldbuilding for example.

I exclusively use Microsoft Word but I have written things down on whatever app is at hand with my iPod or phone.

The most common office tool: Microsoft Word.

In any case, I need to use it everyday also in my work, so I had already accustomed to it. If I had to change it to another writing tool now, I don't think I'll be comfortable with it.

And also one reason I prefer Word is that, I found its phonetic guide tool very useful for adding furigana for Japanese. I don't know any other writing tool that can allows me to write "Let's do it!" but right on top of the word adding the pronunciation aka reading as "Let's kill it!"

I use three things: Microsoft Word, OpenOffice, and GoogleDocs. Well, I mainly use GoogleDocs, because it automatically saves your work and it's convenient. I don't use them for planning my fics, though. For planning and outlining my stories and chapters, I always write them down in little notebooks. I keep them detailed enough that I know what I want to write about, but still vague enough to leave me some wiggle room for some extra creativity, should the need to add some things and make additional changes arise. I find it's been really helpful, and I'm very close to filling up an 8th notebook completely.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom