• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Fun & Games is searching for new mods! Did I catch your attention? Head on over here!

What do you value in a Pokemon Game?

Lanstar

I'm a funny bug.
Reaction score
The things I value:

-A region with a large pokedex - At least 400 Pokemon - with plenty of options to choose from even in the early routes.
-A region where exploration and adventure ultimately emphasized, as if it were running around through a beautiful labyrinth of routes, forests, caves and cities without handholding the trainer. Nearly all the houses are searchable, and the sense of challenge is tied more to how well you solve the mysteries around you.
-A region that stays alive active before and even after you become champion, with Gym Leader and overworld trainer rebattles, Pokemon outbreaks, minigame areas, and easter eggs and special areas hidden everywhere. Heck - add an entirely new region after being the champion as well!
-Quality of life features: Trainer customization, custom Pokeballs, secret bases, sitting on chairs, and following Pokemon add so much to the adventure that would otherwise be a total grindfest of a game.
-A Well designed Battle Frontier. I love all the different ways to spin battles, as they breathe life to the same old rule you have to abide to ingame.
-Battle Format variety ingame. I wish Double, Triple, Rotaion, Horde, and Inverse battles could appear more often as you face even the ordinary trainers. Singles everywhere just becomes very repetitive, unchallenging and boring in gameplay. Bring on the gimmicks!

...No doubt: My standards for pokemon games is too high right now. :/

Kyriaki

Lovely
Reaction score
I think for me it would be the ease of understanding how the game works, because if it has too much complexity behind playing it properly, then I am most likely going to be less interested.
Reminds me of this:

[URL='https://time.com/3750545/does-nintendo-have-any-big-ideas-left/' said:
Iwata's Interview in Times 2015[/URL]]
“If it takes a lot of explanation for people to understand your entertainment product,” says Iwata, “you’re doing something wrong.”

For me, I also value the easy-to-understand game-play. I put a lot of value in storytelling (both lore and overall plot) and character design/development.

Oricorio

Cool Cat
Reaction score
Something that has a lot of Pokémon to catch and a fun way to battle others. This is why I am more forgiving towards XY than most, although I do wish it were a bit more difficult.