• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you want from a Pokémon console game?

L.L.

Lord of the Whales
Reaction score
All we've currently got for a possible console title is a somewhat unhelpful screenshot. So what this could be is anyone's guess.
I would like a new game taking place in the Coloseum series. Imagine all the possibilities and new graphics that it could bring.
Alternatively, a fighter game would be interesting. It could use each of the Pokémon's moves mapped onto the four buttons. You could transfer your own from X or Y, but also allow you to create new ones (that can't be transferred to XY of course) so it doesn't end up like Battle Revolution.

I would love to see a 3d style open world RPG. Something in the way of an online mode too, and I'm not just talking for battles and trades but maybe an online version of the world that is optional to play but will offer more chances at finding rare mons and shinies as well. You could also have a colleseum mode for just battles.

While I like the colleseum games I feel that with today's console technology, it would be a waste if the one on one battles were the only thing a Pokemon title were able to accomplish.

Dom

With the introduction of random matches on the main games since Gen 5 and fully animated 3D sprites being the norm for most battles, I really don't think a console game should take a "just 3d battling approach" like PBR did. It needs to offer a bit more. I don't know what that more is, but I know that it shouldn't just be a straight standard battling system.

But hey, what do I know? I don't own a WiiU and very well may never own one until it gets a significant price cut and/or drops the tablet (which would lead to a price cut). And a Pokemon game isn't something that would make me go buy that console.

I think a third shadow pokemon game would be appropriate considering the fact that the one guy in pokemon XD said he was going to revive Cipher. That and I just love the concept of shadow pokemon. It might also be nice to see a third pokepark game. Maybe.

How about an Action-RPG Pokemon game like using the system of PokePark series? I really like the graphic, movement, the liveliness of Pokemon, and most important the total self-control of moving the Pokemon during the battle. The battle tournament in PokePark 2: Beyond the World is my favourite part in the game.

But, however, I don't really like much about the story and the minigames of PokePark, they are just too "soft". I would like a bit more epic story like the PMD series. The minigames are fine, but don't make them plot-relevant, but simply an extra side-quest for entertainment.
Put it in a simpler word, a Pokemon console game with the battles and plot of the Legend of Zelda style.

How about an Action-RPG Pokemon game like using the system of PokePark series? I really like the graphic, movement, the liveliness of Pokemon, and most important the total self-control of moving the Pokemon during the battle. The battle tournament in PokePark 2: Beyond the World is my favourite part in the game.

But, however, I don't really like much about the story and the minigames of PokePark, they are just too "soft". I would like a bit more epic story like the PMD series. The minigames are fine, but don't make them plot-relevant, but simply an extra side-quest for entertainment.
Put it in a simpler word, a Pokemon console game with the battles and plot of the Legend of Zelda style.
Nice. I like the sound of that.

I'd love another PBR game. A giant Battle-Frontier with various coliseums with various rules and challenges, along with a customizable character and online battles. I won't deny PBR had its flaws, but I think it was MUCH better than the Stadium games. A pure 3D battle sim is just what we need, and we're long overdue for a new one. If such a game comes out, I hope there won't be stupid gender restrictions on clothing... Is wanting a boy to wear shorts so freakin' hard, GAME FREAK?

Agreeing with @randomspot555; that battle tournament games like Stadium and Battle Revolution will not work anymore. With the main games now in full 3D, the appeal of battling on the big screen is diminished, you need something more. What can they do though? The Wii U is slightly more powerful and can run larger, more open levels, so open world would be good. Game Freak has said they don't want to make a main game, but we can still get some neat spinoffs from this. I'm thinking a sequel or spiritual sequel to Pokepark would be good, something that allows you to explore large areas and battle in real time but doesn't have the stigma of being full of crap mini games.

What can they do though? The Wii U is slightly more powerful and can run larger, more open levels, so open world would be good.
An RPG akin to Colosseum and XD, preferably with more open-world exploration but not following the main series' formula. I can't say that I'm expecting that kind of game from Genius Sonority given their history in the past 7 years and the fact that they're currently revisiting Trozei of all games, but regardless, I don't see why the Wii U shouldn't feature standard battling with the right approach.

Considering how the Wii U can be used like an HD 3DS, I would personally like to see a Col/XD-like game with current-gen pokemon (hidden abilities for Shadow Pokemon and 3 perfect IVs maybe?). Alternatively, I'd just like to get a full pokemon game for the Wii U that's like the handhelds, only with the improved graphics, larger game size and locations. Including Wonder Trade and Battle Spot functionality, too. Only downside I can see to that is that many people would not leave their living rooms for days on end, much to the annoyance of anyone who actually still uses TV for watching stuff (seriously, who does that?)

An RPG akin to Colosseum and XD, preferably with more open-world exploration but not following the main series' formula. I can't say that I'm expecting that kind of game from Genius Sonority given their history in the past 7 years and the fact that they're currently revisiting Trozei of all games, but regardless, I don't see why the Wii U shouldn't feature standard battling with the right approach.

The problem with main series games on consoles is that at this point, there's no way to communicate locally without using a handheld game. So if you wanted to battle and trade between Colosseum and XD directly, you can't. That and Game Freak's insistence that Pokemon is a strictly handheld game (which I have to call bullshit on) is what's keeping main games on home consoles from happening. Maybe someone else would work on it like Genius Sonority, but I'm not holding my breath. That's why I suggested Pokepark, it's not a main game but it fulfills most of what people would expect out of a main game and it's a more realistic expectation.

Someone needs to explain to Game Freak that having some 'Offshoot-Main-Series' on the main consoles is a good idea. Granted a living room console is hardly perfect for a lengthy RPG, but then again you have that silly little Wii U touchpad thing which you can use while not needing the big screen. Just merge the lower and upper screens in "One-Screen Mode"

The problem with main series games on consoles is that at this point, there's no way to communicate locally without using a handheld game.

A home console shouldn't need to communicate locally with other...what, home consoles. That's why home consoles typically can have 4 controllers at a time (assuming the game also supports it).

That and Game Freak's insistence that Pokemon is a strictly handheld game (which I have to call bullshit on) is what's keeping main games on home consoles from happening.

There's no "Calling bullshit" about it. Game Freak has almost exclusively developed for hand held consoles. It has been ages since they've developed for a home based console, and I don't even think it was a Nintendo one. It was the PSX or something. If they ever did develop for a home console, they'd be sinking a lot of time and resources into just learning how to develop for it before even getting to the point of being able to competently produce a game.

This of course doesn't rule out Nintendo authorizing itself or other companies to produce Pokemon games for either the handheld or home consoles. But despite some success, the games aren't the blockbusters like they are for Game Freak and the handheld core games.

And really, Pokemon as a series, it is understandable why it is still handheld for the core games. Cheaper cost, portability, honestly, in my opinion, better online support. Remember how horrible Smash was for the Wii online? How laggy it was? Almost always? I've never had that type of problems battling and trading in the DS or 3DS Pokemon games.

This isn't even taking into factor the myriad of problems the WiiU has as a console itself. Tell me what console you'd want to develop for: The console with nearly 35 million players or the console with less than 4 million and struggling to compete with the current generation of consoles?

Someone needs to explain to Game Freak that having some 'Offshoot-Main-Series' on the main consoles is a good idea. Granted a living room console is hardly perfect for a lengthy RPG, but then again you have that silly little Wii U touchpad thing which you can use while not needing the big screen. Just merge the lower and upper screens in "One-Screen Mode"

Mostly see above. But the Wii U has a ton of problems and Game Freak is wise for not developing for it.

So if you wanted to battle and trade between Colosseum and XD directly, you can't. That and Game Freak's insistence that Pokemon is a strictly handheld game (which I have to call bullshit on) is what's keeping main games on home consoles from happening.
That's Game Freak's stance. Other developers don't seem to hold local communication on some pedestal, and neither do most players. Wi-Fi should be enough for console-to-console communication, and the 3DS and Wii U can communicate locally.

Maybe someone else would work on it like Genius Sonority,
That was the suggestion.

That's why I suggested Pokepark, it's not a main game but it fulfills most of what people would expect out of a main game and it's a more realistic expectation.
I don't see what is so realistic about that. The PokéPark games may be the most recent Wii titles (which isn't saying much since PBR was the only other title aside from the WiiWare games), but the second game did pretty dismally compared to most spin-off games. Not only that, but Creatures are probably developing the Pikachu detective game (as evidenced by the fact that Tsunkeazu Ishihara is leading the project), so I doubt that they're interested in another Pikachu-centric game. If you want to stick to realistic expectations, "Pokken Fighters" was trademarked by TPCi as well as being foreshadowed in a video.

Nintendo Life interview said:
One final question: we’ve spotted a certain video on the internet from an event in Japan showing a short clip of Lucario fighting Blaziken on a street scene, which looks suspiciously like Wii U graphics… Was this a teaser for a true Pokémon title for the Wii U?

Junichi Masuda: [smiles] Ooh, I wonder what it was… I’m not sure… [laughs]

NL: Oh go on! Don’t dash our dreams!

Junichi Masuda: That was actually a video which was shown at the Pokémon Games Show, an event in Tokyo last month and it was showing the history of Pokémon games as well as the future. It was kind of a concept about what the future of Pokemon may look like…

Last edited:
Pokemon mmo. Traditional main series style gameplay with a focus on multiple regions. Regions act as servers so you pick the server/region you want and bam. Your starter is of course determined by the first region you choose. and region transfer requires a "plane/cruise ship" ticket which if gamefreak is nice requires ingame currency. You have the option to be a typical trainer working to complete the pokedex/beat the E4's/what have you. Or can choose to enlist in a bad guys team (team rocket etc) you battle the gyms still but maybe altered elements like battling in your team to raise your rank or profs or police.. Mainly this would just serve to encourage the pvp and team aspect of most mmo's. But the main kick is your constantly around other players to battle or trade in real time. with maybe support with the 3DS to transfer XY pokemon.
I think it would differ just enough to validate gamefreaks desire to keep the main series on the handhelds but would be taking pokemon to the logical step its been slowly building too.
... but honestly I would kinda prefer this concept on a future handheld.

Ideas

Pokemon fighting game

Even though I'm not the best at fighting games I met a lot of cool people who are crazy about them and I can enjoy it too from the social aspect. And from their enthuism and someone breaking it down for me. I realize possible outcome for a Pokemon fighting game is good for the gaming community

1. If it is good then it would be awesome. One of the most popular and social genres of games with pokemon and it being good. It would awesome people would get excited about it and people would have tons of fun

2. If it was okay then novelty would make it worth playing with your friends or watching a LP's

3. If it is bad then it would be hilarious

I think it would be cool if they had trainers doing 3 on 3 battles kinda like KOF or they could have be emotional and be in the same world as PMD

Second idea Pokemon super stadium

First rental pokemon like a ton of them. Like three of each at every level rank.

Online inverse battles because hype.

Minigames cause everyone won't shut up about them.

Character customization given

Third Idea RPG anthology

Basically a bunch of Short character based RPG's

Each PC would have their own personality, look, team and obstacles.

A home console shouldn't need to communicate locally with other...what, home consoles. That's why home consoles typically can have 4 controllers at a time (assuming the game also supports it).

Except regular controllers don't work in this scenario since you need to separate files to communicate with each other. There's no way to do that between two Wii Us locally.

And really, Pokemon as a series, it is understandable why it is still handheld for the core games. Cheaper cost, portability, honestly, in my opinion, better online support. Remember how horrible Smash was for the Wii online? How laggy it was? Almost always? I've never had that type of problems battling and trading in the DS or 3DS Pokemon games.

The bullshit part of Game Freak's statement is the part where they say portability is an inherent part of the gameplay. It's not. Everything about the gameplay still works, you can catch, train, battle, and trade just like you can in the handheld games. The only issue is the aforementioned local communication issue. That's the only real excuse they have to stay away from consoles.

To the contrary, home consoles are actually better for a more lengthy RPG because you play them when you're at home and have much more free time. Also because home consoles are more powerful and can handle much larger, richer environments. Anything more adventurey would be perfect for home consoles.

I don't see what is so realistic about that. The PokéPark games may be the most recent Wii titles (which isn't saying much since PBR was the only other title aside from the WiiWare games), but the second game did pretty dismally compared to most spin-off games.

Probably because the Pokepark series is poorly advertised and unfocused, people look at the game and think it's another crap party game. Take the action adventure elements and put them in a new game that builds on them and it'll be much more successful.

Not only that, but Creatures are probably developing the Pikachu detective game (as evidenced by the fact that Tsunkeazu Ishihara is leading the project), so I doubt that they're interested in another Pikachu-centric game.

Pokepark isn't just Pikachu, the second game had the 5th gen starters as well.

Though I love my Colosseum/XD games, the possibility of a home console Pokémon game in the region of Orre seems highly unlikely (but if it ever came to fruition I would certainly be at the front of the line for it!). I'd like another Poképark game, I suppose, or something like Pokémon Stadium. I'm a bit iffy about that weird detective Pikachu game, but you never know; it could turn out to be awesome...

Would like pokeball customizability now that we can breed into pokeballs. The Pokeball Boutique could offer a paid service to put pokemon into different pokeballs in your posession. Would also like to see stickers returned to further alter how pokeball effects are displayed.

As for what I'm looking for in a game in general, multiplayer outside of the battle system. Add a variety of minigames like races using our own pokemon like the anime had and mini games similar to what the Pokemon Stadium games had. Again, all these activities would be with our own pokemon. Their stats would probably not matter, just their sprite and name used. Not all pokemon could be entered into different games and perhaps a default pokemon would be offered of you enter without a viable pokemon in your party.

You could add trophies that go on the pokemon who get first place. I doubt the system would have enough memory, but adding a flower wreath around the neck of 1 place racers would be a neat little addition to display in battle.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom