• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you want in Gen 6?

We finished the whole game, we don't want to watch our trainer avatar run home the whole time (the most common of these endings), or worse, some crappy chibi animation that was HgSs or that super close up of the dragons in BW.

Hey! Don't knock the HGSS credits. I thought they were the cutest thing ever. Though I agree that, for the most part, the credit sequences have been really dull.

And regarding the player outfit thing, people have talked about the possibility of customisation for a long time now. It'd be nice to be able to dress up our characters and not worry about them getting pleurisy because they explored an ice cave while wearing a miniskirt.

Well, I guess the HgSs credits were still better than watching you ride your bike home. FrLg gets some points for showing your rival possibly going through character development. Possibly

Outfit customization, at the very least, should be done for online play. They already allow us to choose trainer sprites as our avatars online, why not just let us design our own style?

I bet Game Freak will make the Gen VI's fire starter Fire/Fighting just so they can piss us off. Anyway, I think there will be two rivals again, and I'm hoping Gen VI will be a sequel to Gen V just like how Gen II was a sequel to Gen I.

And I think Unova will be available after the main region, because a 3DS cartridge can handle that much memory, and a Game Boy cartridge can't (which is why GSC did Kanto very badly). And I think in the Gen VI regional dex, we should see all 156 Unova Pokemon and all the Gen VI Pokemon just like what the Johto Dex did.

It'd be nice to be able to dress up our characters and not worry about them getting pleurisy because they explored an ice cave while wearing a miniskirt.

Yes, because frankly I can't believe Dawn hasn't gotten frostbite yet. And then I wouldn't have to deal with the color pink. *shudders*
I hope they do that. Really. Why can't Pokémon characters look how they want? They probably had the technology back in Generation 4! Jeez!

And it creeps me out when there's somebody that looks just like me that can murder my Ho-oh with their Level 100 Rayquaza.

What I want
New Eeveelutions(Normal and Dragon)
A dark gym
A fire starter who isn't /fighting
Main legends who are not part dragon(They have over done it)

What I don't want
New types(Screw you light type wanters)
new starter types
3D battle system(They should stick with the moving sprites but make them less pixelated)
Rock gym being the first gym
Useless evos of past pokemon

I always seem to get my hopes up, but these are some of the things I want from a new generation.

1. To get a glimpse of a second region. I'd like the 6th Generation to open up with you in the 7th Generation region, and then immediately move to the 6th Generation region to start a new life there, similar to how the protagonist from RSE was from Johto. I want this in order to see the starting Town of the 7th region, complete the 6th region, and go back home to the 7th region. At the end of the game, we would be shown our player character getting ready to explore the 7th region, and then we would play the rest of the 6th region (post-story stuff) in the form of flashbacks that happened between the end of the 6th Generation games, and the start of the player character's new journey in the 7th region.

2. Link the mythology of two regions. Which is the reason for the entirety of the first point. I want the mythology of the two regions to be connected, but not the story.

3. The player character to become some sort of legend. I want the 6th Generation protagonist to move on and become a great Trainer, and while we only play as them for one Generation, they are mentioned throughout the next generations, less and less by each one, until a new Trainer becomes the legend, and so on. This stemmed from the fact that Red became a legend for beating some mafia, while those who saved the world from the apocalypse didn't.

4. Conclude the story lines. The Cyrus plot, and the Ghetsis/N story weren't finished properly in their respective games. Team Rocket is dead, and hopefully will stay that way, while Team Magma/Aqua abandoned their goals, but Cyrus is still a danger, and Ghetsis is free, also a danger, and surely, N knows better than to let Ghetsis do what he pleases. I want these stories to conclude in the 6th Generation just as the Team Rocket one was concluded in Generation II/IV, and the Team Magma/Aqua conclusion in their own games.

5. More involved officials, and more character. I want the protagonist to remain silent, but I also want them to have a personality. Whatever plot ties Cyrus, Ghetsis, and N together, Cynthia, International Police, and whoever else is in a position of power related to them should be involved, while the protagonist would rush in, and try to become a hero. This could lead to an interesting speech from Cynthia at the end of the game about how you should think before rushing into things, but praises you nonetheless, for being like Lucas/Dawn.

6. More recurring Characters. I think Pokémon's strongest point is the characters it introduced, and I wouldn't mind having more Characters aside from Rivals, Professor, Gym Leaders, Villains, Elite 4, and Champion. Scott was a good addition, and I wouldn't mind seeing more Characters like him; a deviation from the typical.

7. I mentioned this before, but Team Galactic (Cyrus) + Team Plasma (Ghetsis) = Team Plastic. Don't waste that!

Well, if I could have what I want, I'd;

-Remove the gyms and the pokémon league. The concept is too old, too much used and provides very little use in-game. I got a frickin badge, now I can move a fucking rock. Amazing! As for the league, what is actually the point of defeating it? It offers no recognition at all, and serves as a distraction to the main plot. Besides, they aren't very difficult.

- Remove the evil teams. Another concept that's been rehashed too many times. There must be better ways to spin a moral story without some organization in your way. Criminality is fine, just not try to a) make it a monopoly based on one band (that's the impression I'm left with, anyways) and b) have some sort of plot of taking over the world.

- More pokémon-trainer interaction. What happens when you decide to be a big douchebag towards others and your pokémon? Why is the only option to play the good guy.

- More explanation of myths. This means actually building a story behind a legendary, not just throw it into the game as an event pokémon. We've got enough of those already. Interesting sub-plots and side-quests can be spinned around this, it's a wasted potential in the game as of now.
- More actual side-quests, and a less linear plot, with better sub-plots.

- No HMs. HMs are just silly and annoying. Make them innate abilities if anything.

However, seeing that every single thing on the list above is not probable at all, here's what I would like to see in a game that follows "the mold":
- Kick up the difficulty. I mean, you can make the game harder yourself (RBY Caterpie-only challenge?), but I want the game to be genuine challenging when I play with the pokémon I want. And make the game longer. That means basically "improve the plot!".

- Actually use introduced concepts to the fullest. Double, triple and rotation battles come to mind when it comes to battling. Double battles were, IMO, poorly implemented in RS (Emerald was better, but I feel that it wasn't properly used till gen IV), and triple and rotation battles in BW was just Gamefreak trolling us... (it's not like I like any of them, but if you introduce them, at the very least use them!)

- More Water-pokémon. The two latest generation has been a massive disappointment. I can't think of a single water-pokemon that I actually want to use from Black (except perhaps Oshawott and friends, but that's because it's a starter). Water/Steel killer whale pokémon. However, make any water-routes optional.

- More post-game content. Actually having something to do after when the game is over would be nice.

-Varied, changing weather. Constant rain on route is just stupid. Have the weather change fluently, with harsh sunlight, rain, hail and snow. I refuse to believe how snow = hail, but that's just me. Reintroduce fog, but don't make it so thick you actually have to remove it. Having a weather like fog makes sense, Defog doesn't make that much sense.

- Actually use seasons. Now, it was first introduced in BW, but they could have done so much more with it. Not only that, but having the drastic transfers between the seasons is odd. Make the change smoother, with more seasonal change implemented all over the region. When it snows for a real month, and the temperature is below zero (the weather research center route), you'd think that it was more than a bit spots of snow. Make the rivers freeze. Different pokémon all over the region. More regional migrations. Etc. etc. This would set the stage for a dynamic world.

- Longer routes. Less healing-spots underway. Longer dungeons. etc. etc. Kinda the same as making the game more difficult.

That's to name some...

The gyms turning into a reputation and ranking system for your trainer level and the character being heavily involved in a major investigation against the evil team. That's all I want from Pokemon, and that's all I'll ever want.

I think people would want this too, customizable character. hmm walking pokemon? if there is something complicated like c gear i would really like it to be better explained in game how to use it. but I think I would prefer something more simple like what you had in the other generations. maybe a bigger list of generation exclusives, if I am right I think it was only 6 pokemon in black/white for the new guys introduced, with that large of a list of guys created I think they should make more version exclussive guys.

What I want
New Eeveelutions(Normal and Dragon)
A dark gym
A fire starter who isn't /fighting
Main legends who are not part dragon(They have over done it)

What I don't want
New types(Screw you light type wanters)
new starter types
3D battle system(They should stick with the moving sprites but make them less pixelated)
Rock gym being the first gym
Useless evos of past pokemon

I agree with pretty much all of this, although I must admit I'm not too stuffed about the starter types.
And the Dragon thing? Absolutely. And Flying. And useless Psychic. Not that Psychic is useless, but that there hasn't been a really powerful one since Mewtwo and Mew. And Lugia (if you bring in the extra type). It would be nice to have Psychic version mascot, like maybe Psychic/Dark and Psychic/Poison, but how likely is that?

We don't need a Light type. Psychic is our Light type. Look at Espeon!
Also sick of the first gym almost always being rock. Let's see:
Gen 1 - Brock
Gen 3 - Roxanne
Gen 4 - Roark
I think they should stop that, because it's unfair to the poor fire types, and because they're running out of names. Brock? Okay. Roxanne? Smart. Roark? No.

Red became a legend for beating some mafia, while those who saved the world from the apocalypse didn't.
Yes. So many times yes. That is so dumb, and yet you never hear about Lucas or Dawn, who stopped the world from being annihilated. That's so sad I bet they're getting very depressed about it. People may have stopped visiting their villa.

Speaking of villas, what happened to our Gym Leader rematches? Those were great! Especially the HGSS system! Why did that not come back?

Last edited:
Only one Water HM woud be nice. Like, a Pokemon that knows Surf could go around on water and up a waterfall without knowing the move Waterfall.

And, I know this'll never happen, but instead of having to use a Pokemon that knows Fly to get you places fast you could have the option of riding on a Pokemon over land. So, the bike function but on a Rapidash or something.

Only one Water HM woud be nice. Like, a Pokemon that knows Surf could go around on water and up a waterfall without knowing the move Waterfall.

And, I know this'll never happen, but instead of having to use a Pokemon that knows Fly to get you places fast you could have the option of riding on a Pokemon over land. So, the bike function but on a Rapidash or something.
Yeah, I get annoyed when you need like 6 HM's to go through one cave

Character Customization, more balance, ditching the FC system, less linear (Not Press A to win like with BW), a better story, and no removed features.

^^ You've got a point. No removed features. So they should bring back the Vs Seeker and stuff like that.

Why can you not register phone numbers anymore? You get, like, 5 calls throughout the whole game! This may have something to do with the fact that the Xtransceiver and the C-gear are two different machines. I wish they would put them back in one.

-More character customization
-No more evil team, I agree thats been done to death, instead how about 1 "evil rival"
- More features like Entralink but make it so you can use them over wi-fii: Game Freak really dosent takeinto consideration that some people dont know anyone who plays Pokemon, so have no one to do Entralink missions with, so these people cant use them.
- A feature similar to the Pokeradar

If it's on the 3DS, how about letting you use your Mii character?

-A female rival that is your superior and a male rival that is your inferior
-Player image customization.
-Dark type gym
-Villainous team with female leader.
-The Pokémon professors are husband and wife
-Region based off of the Chūbu region of Japan.

-A female rival that is your superior and a male rival that is your inferior
-Player image customization.
-Dark type gym
-Villainous team with female leader.
-The Pokémon professors are husband and wife
-Region based off of the Chūbu region of Japan.

Hmm, interesting thinking about this post, what if there was just an evil gang (gang=about 10 people) led by a mysterious person that can see the future through these glasses (or something else, it doesn't matter). Part of the plot is that the future is that these visions of the future are corrupting the public so you have to find the glasses and destroy them. After the E4, it is revealed that your female rival is the leader of the gang and she challenges you to a battle with the opposite version mascot on top of a volcano. When you are both down to one Pokémon, the volcano erupts, the glasses fall off and are destroyed. The male rival then shows up. The female rival tries to push you and him into the volcano, but the version mascot comes and saves you. You then get the opportunity to catch the version mascot at level 55. Your Pokémon are healed by the male rival. You battle the female rival again (and hopefully win). The rest of the gang comes, and they release all their Pokémon, resolving to be better people. The rival hates them for it and flies off. On her way, she drops an Ultra Ball at your feet. This Ultra Ball contains the opposite version mascot. You can then choose to try and capture it, but if not, it goes into your bag for you to try later. You probably spend the rest of the game wondering if she dropped it on purpose or not.

That actually sounds like an interesting fanfic...

-Removal of all HMs, instead have the abilities inherit to the pokemon that should be able to do them, ie water types can surf and go up waterfalls, etc, flying types can fly you around.

-The ability to lose battles. Pokemon isn't like other RPGs in that when you lose you're essentially dead, you just head back to the pokemon center, heal up, and try again. I'm sick of going into battles knowing that there is no real consequence for losing other than the monetary loss. (leads into next two points)

-A serious evil team that is able to succeed in their goal if you fail at stopping them. Make a flowing plot that changes depending on your actions/inactions, instead of a static beat the leader, save the world. Have real choices in how you control the plot. Sometimes I want to see what happens when the bad guys win.

-Change the entire difficulty curve of the game. Either add in difficulty settings or just change how the AI works completely. Trainers never switch out to gain an advantage, levels are ridiculous at certain points, and for the most part the game feels rigged to make me win. I want to have to struggle to win the battle, using actual tactics instead of just spam my strongest attack and move on.

-Remove pokemon levels. Instead of leveling up, have a more intricate system where when you use certain attacks enough, you unlock more attacks. ie you use quick attack in so many battles, you unlock something like extreme speed and agility, giving you the option to learn just one or both abilities. As for stat increases, I think certain moves should increase certain stats with time, again using quick attack will increase your speed as well as your attack stat over a period of time of using it. Or using flame thrower will increase special attack over a period of time using it. Probably too complicated for a handheld game, but I can dream I guess.

- Make rivals matter more. I liked that Cheren and Bel were a little more involved with the plot than previous rivals, but at the same time I would like to see a plot revolve around your interaction with the rival as well as your interaction with the main plot. If you ignore a certain thing in the flowing plot, the rival's attitude towards you should change a bit, thus changing how they approach you. If you start to turn evil, they treat you as such, if you remain good, then they remain friendly towards you or vice versa.

-Non-linear path along your quest. The biggest thing that annoyed me about B&W was how linear the game felt. It felt like I was moving in a straight line the entire time. If they did my level suggestion, then the order of the gyms you do wouldn't matter, giving you more freedom to play the game. I would also like more gyms than needed to enter the pokemon league, so I could choose which gyms I want to face instead of having just the standard 8 and that's it.

-Continue the plot past the league. I like that they did that for B&W, but it just wasn't as much as I had hoped. If the plot was more flowing, you could work it out so that you may beat the league, but the bad guys might just then be starting their evil deeds. It just feels boring knowing that after the league the game is essentially over, plot-wise, so time to restart.

I know most of this stuff is probably impossible on a hand held, but I guess it's just my dream list. Probably have more suggestions later.

You know how in some RPGs there are battles you have to lose to proceed in the storyline?

Why has that not happened in Pokémon, anyway?

Back
Top Bottom