• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you want in Gen 6?

You know how we can now choose the language to play in? I hope this isn't one of those scenarios where you choose in the beginning of the game and it's set for the entire game. I'd like it if you can switch between languages as you play through.

You know how we can now choose the language to play in? I hope this isn't one of those scenarios where you choose in the beginning of the game and it's set for the entire game. I'd like it if you can switch between languages as you play through.

"Note that once you select a language, you won't be able to change languages again during gameplay."

That's what it says on the XY site.

"Note that once you select a language, you won't be able to change languages again during gameplay."

That's just awful. Why would they do that? All languages are clearly programmed in the game so it would be wonderful for people learning a second language.

That's just awful. Why would they do that? All languages are clearly programmed in the game so it would be wonderful for people learning a second language.

Probably because you could end up missing important conversations if you don't know what you're doing.

Probably because you could end up missing important conversations if you don't know what you're doing.

You could miss important conversations by button-mashing the A button as well. And before you say "you can just talk to them again!" what would stop you from changing the language settings back to English and talking to them again? I was really hoping it was going to be one of the selections on the Option menu like the Kanji/Kana option.

I wanted to alternate between English and French. I hope that the selection just affects the save file rather than the game itself.

Well, with "during gameplay" I am guessing they mean just while you are actually playing, rather than the entire playthrough.

In essence: you change it in the "main menu" at the title screen and not in the start menu once you are in the game, but you can just change it anytime without it being bound to a saved file nor anything of the sort.

At least, that's how it's done for pretty much every multi-language game. Which makes sense because usually people would spend at least a session playing in a language, and even if not you can just save anywhere and go back to the title menu, so it's not that big of an issue.

Last edited:
I can speak both English and Korean, so I'd like it if I can change the language from time to time to see how the speeches differ. Sometimes, different languages adapt different puns, so it'll be cool to check them out.

Well, with "during gameplay" I am guessing they mean just while you are actually playing, rather than the entire playthrough.

In essence: you change it in the "main menu" at the title screen and not in the start menu once you are in the game, but you can just change it anytime without it being bound to a saved file nor anything of the sort.
This intepretation isn't supported by the following wording: "When you play Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, you'll be able to select from seven languages at the beginning of your adventure!"

Last edited:
The only reason why I think they might not want to switch between languages could have something to deal with the pokemon names maybe.

This intepretation isn't supported by the following wording: "When you play Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, you'll be able to select from seven languages at the beginning of your adventure!"

I don't see how they conflict. While it's true that certain things (e.g. player name and gender) are accessible only via starting a new game, many Pokemon games already have options accessible only via the frontend menu; language selection could just be another one of those. In fact, the only problem I see is with the naming of captured Pokemon: If I switch to French mode and go capture me a wild Ténéfix, when I switch back to English mode that Pokemon will still be named "Ténéfix", not Sableye. Only the local Name Rater can change that.

I don't see how they conflict. While it's true that certain things (e.g. player name and gender) are accessible only via starting a new game, many Pokemon games already have options accessible only via the frontend menu; language selection could just be another one of those.
They specifically refer to the beginning of the adventure. If that doesn't refer to starting a new game, I don't know what does.

But the statement by itself does not say anything against changing it later -- that's covered by the other statement saying "you can't change it during gameplay".

However, the possibility of changing it via frontend menu after starting a new game does not technically violate either statement, because you did select it at the beginning of your adventure, and you cannot change it during actual game play.

In fact, I don't see why they wouldn't make this an option on the frontend menu anyway. Even the menu wording needs its translations....

I don't see why they couldn't have made Cut require you having the Badge to move on.
Because they ditched the HM Badge requirements as a whole for G5. And really, considering this was practically the ONLY place in Unova where the plot forward is blocked by an HM obstacle instead of yet another NPC, I don't think we should dis it.

I think it's there to prevent conflicts with different language names being in the same dialogue, particularly with the player name/player nickname/group name. The dialogue might be made with specific spacing in mind, which can get ruined if you go above the limit by changing the language.

Because they ditched the HM Badge requirements as a whole for G5. And really, considering this was practically the ONLY place in Unova where the plot forward is blocked by an HM obstacle instead of yet another NPC, I don't think we should dis it.
They could have just kept the requirement for that Badge only, or used something else to keep us from sequence-breaking. They had the same restriction in BW2, and IIRC, only a random person was blocking you from moving on, not an HM-required event. I don't see why they limited trading then, either. I just want to be able to trade my own Pokemon in, and I don't think that's a lot to ask for.

They could have just kept the requirement for that Badge only, or used something else to keep us from sequence-breaking. They had the same restriction in BW2, and IIRC, only a random person was blocking you from moving on, not an HM-required event. I don't see why they limited trading then, either. I just want to be able to trade my own Pokemon in, and I don't think that's a lot to ask for.

I think it was to prevent disasters like trying to beat Cheren with a level 100 Charizard, and said Charizard falls asleep after loafing around. I don't mind first badge limitations - it gives you a chance to check out the games first before bringing your prized teams or favorite pokemons

When I've played through the games 50 million times, I've checked out the Pokemon already available before. If someone wants to bring in a level 100 Charizard that'll loaf around, fine by me. It's their choice.

A search function for the Bag.

Also, a feature for Cut/trees similar to Strength in Gen V. Once a tree/bush has been cut, it's gone for the rest of the day, or week. I don't want the tree to be gone forever because it's a tree, it can grow back. Or if seasons make a return, maybe a tree won't exist during winter.

Last edited:
Walking Pokemon (like in HGSS), although I'm already 99% sure that won't happen.
Secret Bases, like in Gen III, would also be a nice feature to add, since those were really great.

I'd really like to see the ride-able Pokèmon outside of cities, though it's not looking likely as of so far.
I'd also like to see them branch out with some designs; lately they've been focusing a lot on domestic and commonly-seen animals like dogs and cats - some more exotic animals would be really cool.
I've always liked the PokèBlock and Poffin Making features, so I hope we get something like that too.

Back
Top Bottom