• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do your parents/siblings think about Pokemon?

My older brother played Gen I and Gen II. He often jokes about it being childish but he doesn't really care that I still play it.
Once in a while he will play Pokemon Blue or Yellow on Stadium, so he doesn't have anything against them.

My mom is cool with me liking pokemon. She'll buy the the cards, games, or plushes if I ask real nice (or it's my bday). Though she doesn't really understand pokemon too much, she says she'll watch the odd anime episode once in a while. She even has a still sealed mint condition pokemon silver box in her closet! She says it's the beginning of her own pokemon collection, although she hasn't bought herself another pokemon thing since xD but it's cool cuz she will sit in my room and let me show her all my pokemon stuffs :D

She says her favorite pokemon was Eevee, though she seems to be moving on to Meowth (I think she likes Team Rocket's Meowth especially lol) and speaking of TR, my mom has a crush on James (like me xD though I prefer old skool James) and she also likes Brock but only because she likes anime guys with spiky hair haha. She was so sad when I told her he wasn't going to be on the show anymore :(

My little brother was kinda into it when it was 1st really big but didn't really understand it. Later on though he got back into it and asked our mom for SoulSilver after I had gotten HeartGold. He doesn't really play it much, I think he's more of a big console player since he's always playing on our ps2 and ps3, though he will sometimes fire up the old gamecube and play some colosseum or gale of darkness.

He still has most of his old pokemon cards and posters up on his wall. Though he doesn't seem to mind that our cats like to destroy everything on his walls (;-;) he was genuinely upset though when I told him I'm not watching the anime anymore. He got back into it cuz I would record episodes. He says that I'll be back, and he's probably right lol

My parents think it's kind of childish but don't really mention it unless they're mad at me and want to use it against me. My sister used to like it, but now makes fun of me. And my brother has a mild interest in it.

oh god my mom used to do this all the time with almost anything I liked. It got to the point where I wouldn't show interest in anything around her or tell her what things I liked :/

They think it's a child's game and have no idea that I still play it. Actually I think my mom/dad probably have their suspicions, since I keep all of my game cartridges in fairly plain sight on my dresser, and they could find out easily if they did any kind of searching on the computer, but they've never said anything, so who knows. But yeah, as a whole they think it's more of a kid thing.

Well, let's put it in this way.

My parents like Pokemon, because it's not violence and it's a "kids TV show"
My brothers like Pokemon, yeah, Pokemon, new Pokemon, pokedex, merchandise, Pokemon cards, games etc.
I like Pokemon, I enjoy both aspects of Anime and Game.

The most simplistic way I can put it.

My parents think it's childish, and my Dad especialy thinks that I should get out of the Pokemon fandom and into competetive sports. He was the one who first broke my Blue version and my only ever Mew and completed Dex.

Dude thats not cool... at all he better have gotten you a new Blue Version... seriously you don't go breaking other peoples things... my mom and step-dad don;t think much about it.. Mom actually got me Yellow for Christmas way back when and thus my pokemon oppession lol... I'm 19 now... and looking at the age poll a majordy seems to be over 20 though I still feel old though becauae I remember whe their was only 151 pokemon... man were they right when they said there was more to see... 500+ more to be exact

My parents don`t seem to mind at all that I like Pokemon. My brother likes to play the console games sometimes, and my sister seems to be obsessed with Pikachu for some reason...

Well, my parents don't care about my interests, but at the same time, I'm scared of asking my parents to buy me some Pokémon franchise at the local mall cause when I do they do that "Pokémon is for kids" rant..... sad story......

My oldest brother is a HUGE Pokémon fan just like me. In fact we both got into the franchise at the same time, when I got Pokémon Sapphire and he got Pokémon Ruby. His favourite Pokémon are Dodrio, Kyurem, Darkrai, Steelix, and Xurkitree.

My youngest brother likes Pokémon as well, but not quite like us. He does watch the anime, and prefers the older series compared to the new ones (he likes the original series in particular). He likes Pikachu, Foongus, Rowlet, and Kricketot.

My mum and step-dad aren't interested in Pokémon at all, but they don't mind that my brother's and I like it.
Though my mum knows the names of quite a few Pokémon, my step-dad on the other hand, can only remember Pikachu, Squirtle, and Meowth.

My parents aren't interested.

When I was introduced to Pokemon by the DP anime series, my brother mentioned Charizard many times and mentioned how it was his favourite Pokemon (and at that time I didn't know what Charizard is due to lack of Charizard coverage during DP. I saw him during Os reruns, though).

So, my 22 year old brother still jumps when Charizard is mentioned or seen. Maybe I could show him my own Charizard if Kanto sequels are a thing.

My parents don't really have the interest per se, but they think it was a good thing considering its popularity around the world, and how I made some of my friends through shared interests. I'm quite happy to pass them down to my future kids too.

Just for that matter my local church is perfectly fine with it too. (One pastor even used the phrase "Gotta catch 'em all!" in his sermon!)

Apparently my dad never liked getting me and my brothers the cards, my mom said he thought it was addictive. It kind of was. Other than that they (my parents) are indifferent. My three brothers have fallen out of Pokemon, though we all share a fondness for the first two gens.

My brother likes pokemon somewhat. Not as much as me. His favorite is Dugtrio.

My mom gives me a look and says "alrighty then" whenever I mention pokemon. She hates it because of the idiots walking out into streets and going out in the wee hours of the morning playing Pokemon Go when it was popular. She probably knows who Pikachu is and that's about it.

My grandparents probably know next to nothing about pokemon besides Go when it was in the news, and my gushing whenever a new game is coming out. They're cool with me liking it and listen and let me gush.

My parents like it, my dad got me Red version when I was younger and he has played Platinum once (he likes video games in general). My mom thinks it's a really cute series, I remember once asking her which Pokemon (of the first 151) she liked and Eevee is her favorite.

As for my older brother, he used to play the games with me before he left to go live with our relatives in Italy, but I don't know if he still does or even likes the series anymore since we haven't talked in a long while.

My sister plays it once in a while along with the other games she saw my brother and I play when we were younger.

My brother...best not to mention it.

My mother can't get enough of Go.

My parents are neutral with Pokemon. They've obviously never played the games since (like most people their age) they don't play video games, but they've never had a problem with me liking it. They've largely been hands-off towards me and my siblings' interests.

My older sister's never cared for Pokemon. She always thought it was kind of dumb. Most anime she watches is shoujo anime like Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura (although she does like One Piece, which is shonen). She also prefers PC gaming to handheld or console gaming, so Pokemon's definitely not in her interest.

My older brother doesn't like Pokemon as much as I do. He outgrew it for a while, but then returned to it years later. He didn't get any of the games between RS and ORAS (he did get a copy of Omega Ruby, and he has a copy of Sun). He thinks the anime is really childish and doesn't understand why teens and adults would watch it. He doesn't watch as much anime as me, although he is a fan of One Piece, Hetalia, and Dragon Ball Z. He's more into sports, specifically soccer and rugby. Unlike me, he hasn't kept most of his old Pokemon merchandise - he either sold it or gave it to me. He despises Ash and he has expressed his wish that they'd cancel the anime (or at least get rid of Ash).

Last edited:
I'm 34 and have like a million pokemon plushies. My parents don't care. In fact, last year my parents were in LA visiting family and dad happened to see a store that sold plushies and came home with a Keldeo plushie for me without me even asking for anything. They may or may not be getting me a giant Eevee plushie for my birthday this year.

My dad used to play Pokemon Stadium with me when I was a kid. We both had a really great time. However, since my dad is old-fashioned, he stubbornly refuses to enjoy anything beyond Gen I and tends to become exasperated whenever I buy Pokemon merch of Pokemon that are from any generation except Gen I.

Surprisingly, unlike most other 90s kids, my younger brother had virtually zero interest in Pokemon.

My mom is neutral towards Pokemon but will happily listen to me rave about it. Basically anything that makes me happy makes her happy too. :X3:

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom