• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What does everyone think of Sonic forces?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Ketchum

Sayaka miki, Magical girl of justice
Reaction score
Me personally? I enjoyed my time playing the game. I don't see that much of a difference between gens classic Sonic and forces classic Sonic. Could go with it not using the lost world engine though.

It's not a bad game by any means and is perfectly enjoyable, if a bit dull and uninspired. Personally, I want the modern Sonic gameplay to get scrapped and them try something new since I think it's gotten really old, really fast since Sonic Unleashed, though it is serviceable and fun at times. And I say that as someone who prefers 3D Sonic way more than 2D. Classic Sonic I wish would stop appearing in modern Sonic games and instead stay in his own Sonic Mania-style stuff. His gameplay isn't even that fun here and is by far the weakest link of the three styles. Generations was okay with that, but there was no reason Classic Sonic needed to be or should have been in Sonic Forces imo. The Avatar is a cool idea; I think it would've been cool if the Avatar played in straight-up Sonic Adventure-style (I miss that gameplay so much). Clearly needs some refinement as it is... though that could be said of Sonic Forces as a whole.

Also, no more reusing and retooling old zones/stages from past games. Green Hill Zone needs to never return ever again lol, no matter how they want to dress it up to try to make it "fresh."

On the positive side, the music!! The MUSIC!! It is SO GOOD! The best soundtrack this series has had in a very long time. I've missed vocal themes (especially vocal songs as level music), and man did Forces deliver on that front. And it gave me Infinite's Theme, which is like one of my favorite songs in the whole series now. Edgy as all get out, and I LOVE IT. So catchy, and honestly once you get past the "ow the edge" factor, the lyrics are pretty darn cool. Feed me the edge, I bask in it.

Visually, it's beautiful. The game looks great. Luminous Forest in particular is a stand-out as far as the stages go, and it has one of the most interesting stage concepts/themes in the game too.

And the story! Can't forget that. I appreciate that it tried to have a more serious story for the first time in a long while with this series. Now, did it succeed? Err... not completely. I still hate Sonic's personality in the post-Sonic Colors era, but aside from him, everyone else is in pretty decent form (well, minus Tails, but lol Tails in recent games anyway), and I'm just glad that characters aside from the ol' Sonic/Tail/Knuckles/Eggman/sometimes Amy group got to have a role again. I'm one of those people who loves the cast of the Sonic series and wants them to be prominent again, so it was nice to see people like Silver have a decent part again. Infinite feels like wasted potential though. I really do hope they continue with this effort and keep trying to have a good story in Sonic again. No reason they can't work on gameplay and story together.

Also, obligatory "please stop with Pontac and Graff." No more. I hate their involvement in the Sonic franchise and frankly I don't think they care about the series for more than a paycheck. Their humor is super cringe and only occasionally worth a chuckle, and even if their involvement is fairly minimal like in Forces, the effect is still felt and they ruin it imo. Get Ian Flynn maybe, or get whoever wrote SA2 or Sonic 2006 or Sonic and the Black Knight back (yes, I like the plot in 2006; at least it took itself seriously). Or the Sonic Boom TV show writers. At least they can make jokes that are legitimately funny.

I personally found classic Sonics stages to be the best. Oddly enough it was real satisfying to go through those stages and speedrun them.

General consensus seems to be "okay but nothing super special." From what I've seen there's a lot of potential to be a really good game in there if they put a bit more polish into it, gave the stages some extra length and variation, and made the gameplay of the custom hero and Classic Sonic more engaging.

Sonic generations the forces project. Gens modders can make that happen for modern and classic Sonic. Im sure modders could make versions of forces levels for those two that involve the gens controls.

Sonic forces isnt the worst Sonic game to date. The worst Sonic game can most likely go to Sonic blast on the sega gamegear.

Its okay. I mean Sonic handled decently and I did like the custom character, as well as the story. Classic Sonic was honestly very unnecessary though. As for the levels, I thought they needed more variety, environment wise? There were really only 4 or 5 zones I felt, and I wasn't really crazy about the soundtrack. Sonic Forces probably had the weakest soundtrack out of any Sonic game.

Hey Sonic forces is better then Sonic blast. Never forget the lust for laziness in the gamegear games. TUUUUUBES!

The fun part of the game for me was turning off the radio so the characters don't scream at me, which means I'm then free to reinvent most of the story from the ground up, helped along by the many, many, many outfit choices

I literally have outfits for "casual dress" "prisoner" "resistance fighter" "veteran" and "endgame"

It's ripe for fanfic material, which fits the game perfectly

My only true gripe would be the lack of Avatar stages - it'd be a much better game if you never had to play as Sonic

Episode Shadow was also sadly dull and most of the interesting stuff happened via talking heads rather than cutscenes, which soured the experience for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom