• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What does the future hold for Dawn now that DP is winding down?

What does the future hold for Dawn?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybersai

Reaction score
With the first Gen V Pokemon revealed on Pokemon Sunday, the DP era will be coming to a close. If the past is any indication the anime will go through another re-boot/revamp for the saga based on the new series of games.

What do you think the future holds for Dawn? While she'll obviously finish her Contest arc at the end of Sinnoh, what do you think the writers have planned for the character after that? Is Dawn only going to get one Grand Festival?

I only included two options on the poll since, realistically, those are the only two things that would probably happen. I did not want to include any "extra options" that felt more like fanfiction rather than what the writers would really do.

So what do you think the future holds for Dawn after DP ends?

I think she'll be gone, but what do I know. I hardly watch the anime due to its crap time slot.

I'm pretty sure she'll be written off. I can't see why she wouldn't be. She'll show up in the future, at least once in the future at least.

She probably will be written off. And. that time slot is terrible.
7 AM?
Most of the time, I'm still sleeping.

So will she be written out like her predecessor or stay to fight the good fight for another region?

Hell if I know. Hell if anyone knows. You pretty much give the only two options there are, staying or going. Shall I consult the crystal ball?

I think the end of this year will be sayonara for Hikari.

I honestly believe that there is a slim chance for Dawn to stay seeing as to how unpredictable DP is and how important the writers made her, to the point of being co-star with Ash..

Either way, I hope She doesn't leave.

Yeah, she's gone. Gotta make room for the female protagonist from Gen V, after all.

Although, it's going to be really weird for them to just drop Piplup, considering he's like the second Pikachu over in Japan.

Her future...
She will have a final battle/contest involving ash in it, then will decide to go to a former area and take up Contest there, then we'll never hear from her again >:/
That is... until she's brought up by the next girl, then dawn will make a 'suprise' appearence, more than likely in a contest, than that's all folks~

Under any other circumstance, I wouldn't doubt her leaving, but it's not quite as cut and dry with Pochama around. We're not talking Munchlax or Pichu here, this thing has long since ascended above 'flavour of the month' status. It still gets huge amounts of screentime, still sells toys and assorted crap like hotcakes and still gets shown with Pikachu in pretty much everything. Pochama's the real deal, and I find it difficult to imagine them disposing of it simply because 'Hey! New generation!'

Misty left, May left, Dawn will also leave. What makes her any different?

She'll probably pull a May and say she's going to some other region to compete against her rivals, or else the writers are going to pull some really random excuse out of the sky to get her ass off the show for Gen V girl.

Yeah, DP's unpredictable, but I don't see that as a reason to keep Dawn. And either way, she's totally overstayed her welcome (imo).

Goodbye and good riddance. :rolleyes:

I can’t bring myself to vote for some reason… My instinct says that she’ll be gone by year’s end, but when you think about it, there’s been a lot of focus on Dawn as a character.

The first Sinnoh episode was completely devoted to her. Her starter pokemon stays out of its pokeball and is a pokemon mascot. She’s the only person on the main, besides Ash, to have challenged a gym leader in an official gym battle and an Elite 4 member. She saw a legendary pokemon before meeting Ash and she played an intricate part in defeating the criminal team of her region (Brock also shared that role with the Uxie storyline, unlike the very small role he play in the Team Aqua-Team Magma storyline). By Sinnoh’s end, she’ll be the only main character, besides Ash, to have a full pokemon roster after traveling her first region. Add the fact that her contest arc was treated with much more depth with the writers making lose in the performance round twice (which never happened to May if I’m not mistaken) prompting her to enter a depressive state and challenge the aforementioned gym leader and showing Dawn in many contest episodes. Like Ash, she’s had a pokemon that refused to listen to her in the beginning. She’s the only character that traded a pokemon with another character of the main cast. Ash has also taken inspiration from Dawn’s battle style in two of his gym battles (Oreburgh and Hearthome), which never happened with any other member of the main cast. Plus, if the games come out at the end of September, she’ll have received more focus than any member of the main cast besides Ash, while being there the shortest (except for Tracy)…

Now that’s a whole lot of development to throw out of the window and start over with a new girl. If we go by history, she’s gone and will be replaced by a new girl (whom I'll probably love as much as Dawn or May) but if we go by how Sinnoh’s been unpredictable and liked to throw curveballs at us… I don’t think it's outside of the realm of possibilities she might stay… For the first time, at the end of a series, I could see the main girl staying…

Also, Gible should devour Pikachu and become the new pokemon mascot ;)

Last edited:
I know that history basically says she'll be gone, but I feel like she'll be around for quite a long time longer than what we think she will. Back in AG, I always sort of got the feeling that May was an experimental character - they were trying out a new thing and, in the end, they always had the intention to shelf her regardless of what happened. They made a few mistakes but had some successes and Dawn is sort of the result of their observations.

She's been handled so much better than anyone else that I just can't see her going. For another female coordinator? Not gonna happen. I think it's more likely that one of three things happens to introduce the new generation. A) We get a fourth, fully formed traveling companion, B) Someone replaces Brock, or C) New female/male protagonist serves as Ash's rival. They did the last one with Barry and pretty much everybody loves it.

While I can't say that they will replace Dawn or not with certainty, I can easily say that, going by past experience as well as the WPM interview, IF they are going to do a Gen V anime (Note: I said Gen V anime, it's already evident that they'll do a game), Dawn will end up getting the boot, regardless of how much focus she had gotten. People said the exact same thing about May (in regards to so-called "focus"), and she ended up getting the boot anyways. Besides, I don't think there was even one movie where she was the primary focus, period. I mean, Misty and May at least got movies that focused on them ("Power of One" and "Temple of the Sea", respectively), I don't think there was a single movie where Dawn was the focus, period.

Whatever the case, going by what they said in the interview, they don't seem to intend on stopping the whole issue (doesn't mean I can't try to stop it, but still.)

Yeah, I think Dawn's going to leave as well. I'm just hoping that there will be something new for the inevitable new character to do besides contests once again.

She'll stay if the new female character isn't jail-bait enough. Big if.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom