• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What does the future hold for Dawn now that DP is winding down?

What does the future hold for Dawn?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There were some nice additions, but it should have been more. Maybe they should have kept the dancing from the Super contests.

Yeah, like how no one on the cast is allowed to catch electric types, like how Ash will never leave a Poké again, like how Ash will never trade his Poké, like how Ash will never evolve his Poké with an item, like Hikari's dub name starting with M, like Dawn's story being an exact copy of May's story, like a death of humans would never happen or be implied in the show, like Ash will never get a dragon type, like how we never see all the Elite Four in one region......
If you want, I can continue

People are so stuck in the past and closed to new ideas that it's really annoying...
Even if something isn't likely, that doesn't mean it's impossible and that we shouldn't think of better ideas than repeat of the same thing again and again
Especially when there are reasons to believe there's a little chance for this better idea to happen

Many other shows have tried changing. They've been accused of fixing something was not broken in the first place. Pokemon, which has followed the same formula in both it's games and it's anime, will not fix something that has worked for four generations. This is simply the most logical conclusion.

There will be different Pokemon and different trainers. Everything else will the same. The rival. The gym battles. The dream of becoming a Pokemon master. The giant legendary Pokemon that might destroy the world. These are time honored traditions. If you do not want the same formula every single day... then Pokemon is not right for you. There are new, uprising franchises every day that attempt to redefine our visions. Give them a try, but Pokemon must remain the same.

In conclusion, Dawn will be cast aside. It is her role as a female protagonist of Pokemon.

All I really need to do here is say Sinnoh Battle Frontier. They haven't explored the huge island above Sinnoh yet (the name escapes me) and I reckon Generation V wont be out untill mid 2011 at least in the US, which gives us plenty of anime time between now and then. I reckon it will be a replay of the Kanto Battle Frontier, just with different Frontier Brains and Dawn tagging along instead of May. Here's me sincerely hoping Ash has a rematch with Palmer where Palmer gets his ass handed to him. But that's just me :p.

Dawn should stay with the gang really. You just know that the new female will pretty much be an exact replica of her anyway. The only thing I can see them changing is the color of her hair.

Many other shows have tried changing. They've been accused of fixing something was not broken in the first place. Pokemon, which has followed the same formula in both it's games and it's anime, will not fix something that has worked for four generations. This is simply the most logical conclusion. There will be different Pokemon and different trainers. Everything else will the same. The rival. The gym battles. The dream of becoming a Pokemon master. The giant legendary Pokemon that might destroy the world. These are time honored traditions. If you do not want the same formula every single day... then Pokemon is not right for you. There are new, uprising franchises every day that attempt to redefine our visions. Give them a try, but Pokemon must remain the same.

Wrong. Flat out wrong. If you've watched Sinnoh, you have to have realized that while the format of the show has remained unchanged, they've made some changes over the years to the show.

Pokemon has changed, otherwise Ash's Sinnoh pokemon wouldn't have evolved, Ash would have gotten the badge in Eterna by saving Gardenia's Roserade from a fire, Main Girl would only be there to have an unfocused plot, hold a baby pokemon and pull Brock's ear.

What Piplup was saying was that there's been many things that fans said would never happen (like a main character catching an electric pokemon, that no other main character would ever challenge a gym besides Ash, that Ash wouldn't evolve a pokemon using an item...) but that have happened in Sinnoh.

In conclusion, Dawn will be cast aside. It is her role as a female protagonist of Pokemon

You're acting like Dawn is the exact same thing as May or Misty when she's not as she's been getting much more focus and as actually been treated as an equal to Ash as opposed to a sidekick. Actually, you could argue the case that Dawn is the first female protagonist of the Pokemon anime... bacause while May and Misty were on the main cast, they weren't protagonists.

All I really need to do here is say Sinnoh Battle Frontier.

It's gonna be realeased in late 2010 in Japan and Ash still hasn't gotten the Sunyshore gym badge as of the last DP episode, so no on the Sinnoh Battle Frontier thing, unless they cram it in 5 episodes...

you could argue the case that Dawn is the first female protagonist of the Pokemon anime... bacause while May and Misty were on the main cast, they weren't protagonists

You Perceive her as a protagonist. The only real protagonist is Ash. I agree Misty wasn't there for a particular marketing reason, but May definitely was. She was introduced so to appeal to the female audience and promote contests, and she was a protagonist in the Pokemon games of her time, just like Dawn Is now. It's not fact that Dawn is Ash's equal just because they have a more straight forward friendship.

It's not fact that Dawn is Ash's equal just because they have a more straight forward friendship.

No, it's just fact that she's getting more focus that makes her an equal. Not only does she have a storyline of her own (like May, I agree), but she's been more involved in Ash's gym storyline (Oreburgh, Veilstone, Hearthome) and training with Ash, she been more involved in the TG storyline, even if you discount her contest battles she's been in more battles than both May and Misty... I've listed all of those things before.

Also, the title card in japanese says Ash and Dawn's adventures (or something like that, anyway it mentions Dawn, which is a first as no other character has had that before)

The writers have truly shifted main girl from sidekick to protagonist this season, which could be a valid reason for Dawn staying.

Also, the title card in japanese says Ash and Dawn's adventures (or something like that, anyway it mentions Dawn, which is a first as no other character has had that before
)

I'm not convinced. They probably didn't put much thought into that title card. Just like they probably wont put much thought into everything this forum speculates about until the cows come home. Of course Dawn Is of equal importance to Ash (she satisfies the female fan-base, whilst promoting the games) but she's not as important as Ash. May did exactly the same thing before her. She trains with Ash and supports him through gym battles, because it's in her character to do so. I hear people think that Piplup Is equal to Pikachu just because he Is aloud out of his pokeball and gets screentime. Misty's Togepi was aloud out of its pokeball too, and it got a lot of screentime over the years.

They must have otherwise they would have kept it the same as the original and advanced.

Got a feeling this Is a subject we're never going to agree on...

I'm apathetic to the debate, I just see some comments and have the need to pick them apart. I agree with everything else you said though.

I'm apathetic to the debate

I neither like Dawn nor dislike her. Some people in this thread are bias because they really like her. Apathy agreed...

You just know that the new female will pretty much be an exact replica of her anyway. The only thing I can see them changing is the color of her hair.

Not sure about that. Look how different Lyra/Kotone is from Dawn. She was the next female protagonist but didn't become that major since she's from a remake game instead of a new gen, but her personality was fairly different.

I also imagine that if we ever saw Leaf in the anime, her personality would be fairly unique too. Marina also had a different personality too.

I'm sure they can come up with more unique personalities. Its not as if there are only two types of girl personalities to choose from

Its not as if there are only two types of girl personalities to choose from

You're right there. My opinion Is that everyones personality has been toned down (especially Brock's)There used to be some great humor in the anime but now they've lost that and the character personality traits are weaker.I'd like to see another female who has as strong a personality as Misty had. It's not just the females. All the characters have become boring in my opinion (even Pikachu) Some people have said that it's because they've matured which Is reasonable (but personally I preferred Ash and Co. when they were immature) :)

I think that we're gonna have to say goodbye to Dawn and say hello to the Gen V female protagonist.

There should be option to pick: Her character will be written off and old character will return. Because I can't agree at all with both 2 options.

There should be option to pick: Her character will be written off and old character will return. Because I can't agree at all with both 2 options.

That's ok, but in reality, old characters really only return for specials...

Gen V girl is most likely to me.

I'm not convinced. They probably didn't put much thought into that title card.

...are you serious?

May did exactly the same thing before her.

And she didn't get as much screen time or development... and she wasn't important enough for the writer's to change "Ash's story"...

You Perceive her as a protagonist. The only real protagonist is Ash.

This would like to have a word with you:

...are you serious?

Yes.

People need to get over that title card already. It doesn't say 'the adventures of Ash and Dawn *brackets* Dawn Is now officially as irreplaceable as Ash.

And she didn't get as much screen time or development

May got the most development out of all three girls.

The poll says it all, if it were a poll on the likelihood of Ash being dropped in Gen V. Then it would look very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom