• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What does the future hold for Dawn now that DP is winding down?

What does the future hold for Dawn?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people keep bringing that up? We know good and well why Misty stayed for Johto.

Nowadays there's main playable female characters from the games every gen.

No we're not. In five years, we'll be running the same thread for Dawn because she'll still be around and for Brock's replacement. :Db

Yeah, you go with that.

Well look at misty. She was around for two generations before she became boring. As a matter of fact i really think it would nice to see one girl throughout the series. It worked for Brock it should be able to work for a female protagonist too. The thing is i really don't see a good reason for Dawn to leave. I still see her as the inexperienced coordinator that needs to lean on someone i did when she arrived. The writers can't say
"I want to go pwn mah nub rivals" because the Kenny-Dawn rivalry is not as intense or progressed as May's rivals. I also noticed when viewers lose interest its not necessarily because of the person but because of there Pokemon roster, which makes sense. If Ash was still calling on Bulbasuar, Squirte etc yes it would be very boring, but the bring in a new team and new Pokemon(par pikachu), which we can all agree works better. My point is the writers could just clean Dawn's team and go from there.

Unfortunately, the writers don't care about whether a character needs to grow further. All they care about is selling their games, and Misty didn't get boring at all imo and her journey should have been further touched upon too.

Quoted for truth. Well, minus the replacement for Brock part.

... I hope it's the truth.... I like Dawn alot... =( I seemed to adore the idea of a female finally being treated like the heroine, in which we deserved years ago!!! They seemed to be bringing the heroine idea to many NOW anyways... I mean she saved the hero and the pikachu in the beginning and has a piplup that's like pikachu... T_T This has Ash writen all over it...

It's an extremely late capture. Dawn gets it after all her contests are over.

True... It's also the final evolved form of togepi... So it's less likely that she'll leave, but I don't think it's what they ment...

Dawn could "do a May", but the way things have been going lately gives me a gut feeling there will be a twist of some sort.

I think they're saying togekiss has something to do with a twist from pulling a may???? I'm not so sure...

Why do people keep bringing that up? We know good and well why Misty stayed for Johto.

Nowadays there's main playable female characters from the games every gen.

So everything needs to relate to the games? If its a pathetic advertisement they could simply do nothing and bring in a new girl with a roster already and have the squad fight TR every episode?

Nobody knows what the Togekiss is for. It may not even be used in the GF.

Last edited:
Now that i think about it, Dawn and May are very much alike. both started out as Rookies and inexperienced coordinators, then both became "experienced" coordinators and above average trainers. The only upside about dawn is that max isn't with her (thank god) lol

Yeah, you go with that.

I will. Simply because, at this point, it could go either way. Two females leaving at the end of their respective generations does not inherently make a pattern - it can still be a coincidence. Now, if Dawn leaves, then you can say there is a definite pattern, but that's only when there are three or more occurances of the same thing happening.

Nobody knows what the Togekiss is for.

Strange... It sounds like Scott, reads like Scott, but Scott was the guy who kept harping about how togekiss was Dawn's farewell pokemon like Blaziken was for May a couple of pages ago... Therefore, it can't be Scott ;)

The Togekiss isn't like Blaziken, because Torchic was May's starter and it was meant to show May growth from a girl who didn't know anything about pokemon to a very capable trainer and coordinator. It happened because May trained it from the very beginning... Actually, every series as shown a different side of Ash as a trainer...

Kanto : Ash was a rookie, a beginner who relied heavily on Misty and Brock's coaching and the generosity of the Gym leaders to get his badges.

Johto : Ash is still immature and a little inexperience, but starts to do things more independently and by the end was a serious competitor.

Hoenn : AG was the region where Ash really started maturing as a trainer and never relied on Brock or his old pokemon. May was introduced not only to appeal to young girls and advertise gen III, but also to showcase Ash's maturity as a trainer by making the mentor-student relationship with May and Max. But the nature of that relationship meant that those two took a back seat through most of the main events.

Sinnoh : Ash has already been established a mature trainer and as a threat, so instead of giving him another experienced mentor-inexperienced student relationship with Dawn, they gave him the best friend almost brother-sister relationship with a coordinator where they train against one another, influence and inspire one another. They've been treated as equals by the writers as Dawn's learning curve was much steeper than May and she could actually do well in events other than contests, including the main plots of the series (Galactic arc)

The writers have already done the Ash being mentored thing with Misty, they've already done the Ash being the mentor with May... With Dawn, they've found an equillibrium and have found a main character who can parallel Ash's journey... To me, that's another reason why Dawn could stay...

I'm not saying Dawn will necessarily stay, but to me, that's one more reason for Dawn's case.

Well I am sure there is some reason behind Dawn's Togekiss. But think of it this way, why would the writers give Dawn a fully evolved Pokemon to take with her to the next region?

When May when to BF, she dumped everything except for her starter (Combusken), and Munchlax. When Ash goes to a new region, he mostly gets rid of everything.

Togekiss on the other hand is a fully evolved Pokemon. Normally we never see trainers take fully evolved Pokemon with them to a new journey. Likewise again, why keep a 4th gen Togekiss in the 5th gen region? It really doesn't make much sense.

Dawn's Togekiss is really confusing. Captured too late to be of use in the Contest arc, but its fully evolved and not a Pokemon you'd expect to see on the roster for Gen V. So how do you take it?

Dawn's Togekiss is really confusing. Captured too late to be of use in the Contest arc, but its fully evolved and not a Pokemon you'd expect to see on the roster for Gen V. So how do you take it?

First of all, togekiss might already have been introduced without our knowing (Evil Togepi). That would fit with Dawn's personnality of being so emotional and caring that she makes Evil togepi turn a new leaf. Then again, it could be a freshly caught togetic-kiss.

Speculation : Togekiss is used in conjecture with Buneary in the third performance round and lands Dawn in the battle rounds... Might get one double battle there with like Cyndaquil, Buneary or Pachirisu. We see it a 1-2 times until the end of the series. (I think Dawn's last battle will be with either Piplup-Mamo or Piplup-Buneary) If Dawn stays, either she gives it to Cynthia as Dawn realizes that Togekiss likes battles more, either she leaves togekiss in Twinleaf or she brings it along Piplup to gen V region, does 1 contests with it and releases her à la Dustox.

I don't see the writers giving her a new pokemon just to give her a full team of 6 pokemon when they could bring Ambipom back just for the GF if they're not gonna developp a storyline (even a tiny one) around it... which the Cynthia or release in the next region would do

Last edited:
Well since Ash'll likely see Cynthia at the end of DP, I guess we'll see there. There's still no indication anime-Cynthia has a Togekiss yet though, so that might not happen either.

I don't really think that Togekiss implies anything either way though.

Dawn will be coming back in Generation V. She will have her own new outfit and cameo much like May.

One fundamental rule of Pokemon: Ash gets a new girlfriend every generation. The main reason: Males need better womanly appeal. I mean, just look at Dawn's shirt-skirt!

As the series has progressed, female protagonists have become less tomboyish. Dawn was the first to legitimately care about her visual appeal.

Ergo, there will be a new, more attractive heroine next generation.

Nobody knows what the Togekiss is for. It may not even be used in the GF.

It'll obviously be used in the GF since it's obvious the writers are trying to give full teams to all Coordinators this time...
Also, as I said before, Dawn's GF will probably be a little longer and a possible way to do it is to have 3 performance rounds instead of just 2
This way Dawn will be able to use all her Poké for the performance and she'll probably use the pairs from the OP
So we should see Togekiss in at least one performance and probably at least one battle too
It makes no sense to think she won't use it at all... it'll only make its capture even more ridiculous

When May when to BF, she dumped everything except for her starter (Combusken), and Munchlax. When Ash goes to a new region, he mostly gets rid of everything.

Wow... stop being so stuck in the past
Dawn isn't May
Dawn isn't Ash
And even Ash don't have to follow any "rules" or "patterns"
Dawn can easily come to gen 5 region with more than one Poké
Also, should I remind you the possibility of gen 5 region being Sinjoh and having a lot of connections to gens 2/4? in such case, a gen 4 Poké that evolved from one of gen 2's mascots, sounds like a good Poké to have in the cast
If that's not their intention and Dawn either leaves or stay but don't take it with her, then I have to say it makes no sense at all for her to catch it
If they just wanted her to have a full team for the GF they could simply have Ambipom return to help (or not make it leave at all)
Not to mention Togekiss is very similar to Ambi in that they're both gen 4 who evolved from gen 2
And I don't expect a totally fresh start for Ash either, I totally expect Gible to be taken to gen 5

Ash gets a new girlfriend every generation.

Yeah, like how no one on the cast is allowed to catch electric types, like how Ash will never leave a Poké again, like how Ash will never trade his Poké, like how Ash will never evolve his Poké with an item, like Hikari's dub name starting with M, like Dawn's story being an exact copy of May's story, like a death of humans would never happen or be implied in the show, like Ash will never get a dragon type, like how we never see all the Elite Four in one region......
If you want, I can continue

People are so stuck in the past and closed to new ideas that it's really annoying...
Even if something isn't likely, that doesn't mean it's impossible and that we shouldn't think of better ideas than repeat of the same thing again and again
Especially when there are reasons to believe there's a little chance for this better idea to happen

Poké with an item, like Hikari's dub name starting with M

*snigger* Some how, I can't seem to think that they could dub "Hikari" into something that starts with M. Lessee...We could call her Morning? Too weird? Yes. Mlight? Strange name to use in the Pokemon anime

--

Oh please do, i'll love to hear you carry on :3

It'll obviously be used in the GF since it's obvious the writers are trying to give full teams to all Coordinators this time...
Also, as I said before, Dawn's GF will probably be a little longer and a possible way to do it is to have 3 performance rounds instead of just 2
This way Dawn will be able to use all her Poké for the performance and she'll probably use the pairs from the OP
So we should see Togekiss in at least one performance and probably at least one battle too
It makes no sense to think she won't use it at all... it'll only make its capture even more ridiculous

It's not like May really used Blaziken all that much when it evolved.

Wow... stop being so stuck in the past
Dawn isn't May
Dawn isn't Ash
And even Ash don't have to follow any "rules" or "patterns"

Well, if that were absolutely true, I'm pretty sure he'd have an absolutely different type roster in this Generation or even as early as Johto (He's already gone through four main regions and two filler regions with the exact same type roster. Even you have to admit that it's a pattern.)

Dawn can easily come to gen 5 region with more than one Poké
Also, should I remind you the possibility of gen 5 region being Sinjoh and having a lot of connections to gens 2/4? in such case, a gen 4 Poké that evolved from one of gen 2's mascots, sounds like a good Poké to have in the cast
If that's not their intention and Dawn either leaves or stay but don't take it with her, then I have to say it makes no sense at all for her to catch it
If they just wanted her to have a full team for the GF they could simply have Ambipom return to help (or not make it leave at all)
Not to mention Togekiss is very similar to Ambi in that they're both gen 4 who evolved from gen 2
And I don't expect a totally fresh start for Ash either, I totally expect Gible to be taken to gen 5

Umm... how? I mean, at least with Aipom, it was directly involved with Gen 4 because it has an evolution for that region. As far as I know, Gible and Togekiss doesn't even HAVE an evolution for Gen V? Also, other than the fact that the Arceus event is located at a place named Sinjoh, care to explain why you are under the assumption that Sinjoh will be the new region, never mind it being connected to Gens 2/4? I mean, World Island took place far away from Hoenn (In fact, going by the name, it was presumably the farthest place in the series.), yet the 4th Gen region didn't even come anywhere close to that region. If anything, it was at the exact opposite side of where it was located.

Yeah, like how no one on the cast is allowed to catch electric types, like how Ash will never leave a Poké again, like how Ash will never trade his Poké, like how Ash will never evolve his Poké with an item, like Hikari's dub name starting with M, like Dawn's story being an exact copy of May's story, like a death of humans would never happen or be implied in the show, like Ash will never get a dragon type, like how we never see all the Elite Four in one region......

Technically, Ash never evolved Gligar with the item, Gligar evolved itself with the item.

Also, if they end up absolutely changing Ash's roster (meaning, the roster types are absolutely different, like instead of a Fire/Water/Grass/Bird/Wildcard/Pikachu, we'd have a Rock/Steel/Poison/Psychic/Dark/Pikachu roster or a Ground/Dragon/Ice/Poison/Psychic/Pikachu roster, with absolutely no characteristics of the previous roster, period.), and actually GIVE Dawn an absolutely different goal from May, then maybe you'd have a point. I mean, if it is absolutely different from the previous generation/series (meaning, there is nothing even remotely similar to the previous series, period [ie, Ash being gone for good, Brock being gone for good, absolutely nothing in the roster is the same, etc. etc. in other words, in terms of absolutes, nothing is the same.)

People are so stuck in the past and closed to new ideas that it's really annoying...
Even if something isn't likely, that doesn't mean it's impossible and that we shouldn't think of better ideas than repeat of the same thing again and again
Especially when there are reasons to believe there's a little chance for this better idea to happen

Hey, I'm very aware that there is the chance in regards to it happening, just as I'm aware of there being the chance of Misty returning (and yes, there definitely is a chance of her returning.), so don't you dare lump me with that group.

*snigger* Some how, I can't seem to think that they could dub "Hikari" into something that starts with M. Lessee...We could call her Morning? Too weird? Yes. Mlight? Strange name to use in the Pokemon anime

--

Mary means "Star of the Sea" and related to hikari's "holy light" meaning. Margaret, Maggie and Madge means "A Pearl".

It's not like they had to make it similar in meaning to the Japanese name... and even if they had, that didn't stop people from believing she'll start with M just because of Misty and May (which was extremely stupid since there wasn't even a "pattern" since May was the first player character who's name started with M, Misty was just a Gym Leaders in games)

I think I listed enough to prove my point...

It's not like May really used Blaziken all that much when it evolved.

I already explained that
Blaziken was still the same Torchic/Combusen we saw for about 200 eps
Blaziken evolved to showcase the development of its trainer
Also, Blaziken evolved at May's second to last ep
Dawn will get Togekiss in the upcoming eps and will have about half a year to do something with it... it'll probably do more than Blaziken did if you count Blaziken alone without its previous forms

Well, if that were absolutely true, I'm pretty sure he'd have an absolutely different type roster in this Generation

You didn't prove anything with this
I never said EVERYTHING is ALWAYS changing
I simply explained that it's wrong to assume the writers can NOT change things and that they'll forever continue to repeat exactly the same things
They can continue to repeat if they'd like - but it's also POSSIBLE for SOME thing to change even if it's unlikely
Also, the girl thing is something that should change and finally give us a permament girl star... while the team types you listed actually makes sense to me and I'd like Ash's team to continue being from these types - I like it this way

Umm... how? I mean, at least with Aipom, it was directly involved with Gen 4 because it has an evolution for that region.

I don't think it'll hurt so much if Ash will have ONE older Poké with him in addition to Pika
Especially if the Sinjoh and connections to gens 2/4 turns out right
If Ash won't take Gible to next then I have to wonder what's the point here... they'd better just keep Gliscor if that's the case
Unless Gible magically manages to get tons of screen time, development and good battles in the little time left... which I doubt
Same for Togekiss, gen 4 connected to gen 2 might be good if they want to still focus on these gens (of course they'll still primarily focus on the next gen but I mean like how they currently focus on gen 2)

care to explain why you are under the assumption that Sinjoh will be the new region, never mind it being connected to Gens 2/4?

You sure missed a lot of posts... I'm not the one who came up with this idea - other people did and I support this idea
It might be wrong but it might be right too... so who knows, it's all baseless speculation right now (just like this whole thread)

Technically, Ash never evolved Gligar with the item, Gligar evolved itself with the item.

Ash purposely throwed the item to Gligar to cause its evolution
If you'd suggest this a few years ago, people would probably think (even I'd think so) that Ash won't "force a Poké to evolve with an item" since this seemed to be the writers' stand on this thing (similar to how they made trades seem "bad" but eventually Ash did it too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom