• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What does your ideal Pokémon game look like?

BettyN

Reaction score
We're all different people, so we all have different ideas of what a "good" Pokémon game looks like. What are some of the things you look for in a Pokémon game? What is your "ideal" game?

Here's mine:

1. Is a direct sequel to the previous generation. One thing I always loved about Gen 2 was how it was direct follow-up to the events of Gen 1, showing us how Kanto and its characters changed in the span of three years and establishing a sense of continuity. As someone who's always cared about stories, that was a pretty big deal for me. I loathed Gen 3 for severing the ties and starting the trend of every new Generation being a hard reboot with no connections to the previous one. While it makes the stories of the newer games easier for newbies to jump into, it has completely wrecked the series' continuity. Although Gen 5 did make baby steps back in the right direction with B2W2, Gen 6 pressed the reset button yet again, and that was that. I'm more than ready to see an entire Generation be a sequel again, just like Gen 2.

2. Has a postgame that's based around exploration, not competitive battling or contests. A battle facility or contest hall is *not* what I would consider an "acceptable" postgame. Not everyone wants to spend time breeding up a "competitive" team or making PokéBlocks/Poffins/whatever. Just like many of us would rather go for a hike than play a sport, many of us would rather explore new areas and discover new things than compete against others. Gen 2 probably had the best idea in including an entire second region with eight more badges, but a badgeless mini region like FRLG's Sevii Islands also works. Just anything that gives people without any interest in competition something to do after the Elite Four.

3. Doesn't remove any gameplay mechanics from previous Gens. Let's face it, I don't think hardly anyone liked Day/Night being removed from RSE. Or, FRLG not having a clock at all. Or, FRLG/HGSS arbitrarily excluding certain cross-generational pre/evolutions. Or, BW not having following Pokémon. Or, XY not having seasons. Or, ORAS not having character customization. Ideally, a new Generation should have everything the previous one had, plus more. (Yet again, GSC is the gold standard.)

4. No characters get left behind. All major NPCs should get a minimum of backstory/characterization, which, yes, includes Elite Four members. Everyone should get, at least, one appearance outside of their debut games (and no person should be favored for cameos over others), and the ones who can't get one need a clear and direct explanation why. No existing game has really succeeded in this, although FRLG (Fame Checker), GSC/HGSS, and B2W2 came close.

5. Uses new Pokémon to add onto previous Gens instead of replacing old ones. Why do we need Roggenrola when Geodude already exists? And, what is the purpose of Plusle/Minun, Pachirisu, Emolga, and Dedenne when Pikachu still fills the cute electric rodent role more than well-enough? And, why were there three Fire/Fighting starters in a row? There are still many species of animals who have yet to be turned into a Pokémon, as well as many type combos that either don't exist at all or don't exist outside of Legendaries/Mega Evolutions, so why waste those precious Dex slots on blatant copies of old Pokémon? New Pokémon should feel truly new and fill voids that haven't already been filled.

6. Gameplay is fun, not frustrating. I should be able to navigate a region without constantly checking the Town Map, and dungeons should be navigable without having your party saddled with two HM Slaves. And, simple things like fishing or riding a bike should not be a chore. And, I shouldn't have to load up on Repels just to get through 50% of the region. And, I should be able to catch a Pokémon and use it right away without having to worry about it having a "bad" nature or anything like that. And, just in case you think I'm beating up on RSE, I shouldn't have to constantly make space in my Bag every few steps or save whenever I change PC boxes, either.

7. The plot is realistic and small-scale. Yes, believe it or not, a story doesn't need to be some huge, epic "save the world" deal to be good or interesting. One reason Team Rocket still resonates with many is because they're the kinds of villains who exist in real life--a greedy, vile corporation. The likes of Magma, Aqua, and Galactic are so over-the-top and unrealistic that they're impossible to even take seriously. Sometimes, it's better to embrace the mundane.

8. Legendaries get side stories, not main ones. The mystery surrounding Legendary Pokémon was cheapened a bit when the games started having them directly involved in the main plot. They always worked best as side stories, like Suicune and Ho-Oh in Crystal.​

My ideal Pokemon would be Black & White's story with Gen VI's graphics, mechanics, and features but with BW2's map and a revamped PWT. The PWT would include the Elite Four and evil team leaders along with the missing trainers (Koga and Iris). One other thing I'd like is difficult settings that are available from the beginning.

-Vast, explorable region. Pokemon games need to feel like an adventure. There should be plenty of different places for you to explore, optional areas, multiple ways to explore the region. It should also be fairly sizeable, with at least 12 cities and 25 routes (more if the routes are fairly small), and a post game consisting of at least 3 cities and 5 routes. The cities and gyms shouldn't feel crammed together either like Kanto's and Unova's.

-Balanced regional dex. We have 721 Pokemon now. There's no excuse to not have a large variety of Pokemon now. The dex should be reasonably large in size and each type should have plenty of options. There should also be a good mix of Pokemon from different generations, but the native generation should be the focus. A good rule of thumb to accomplish this would be:

• 200-300 Pokemon in size
  • At least 40-50% of the dex should be native Pokemon.
  • At least 5 families per type (not counting legendaries or gimmick Pokemon)

-Reasonable challenge. The games should have (or at the very least, have an option to have via a Challenge Mode option available from the start) a reasonable difficulty so that you don't just blow through the game. This is especially true for boss trainers like Gym Leaders, Elite 4, Rivals, and Evil Team Admins, which should be challenging enough that you can't just blow through them.

-Satisfying amount of extra content. A good game needs some extra content to keep you going after the main game is over. There should be a certain standard for what kinds of features get carried over, gameplay functions that are essential or very useful to the game (examples: the PSS, Super Training, trainer rematching, berry planting) should remain in every game, whereas each game should have some unique side features to give it some personality (such as Contests and Secret Bases). At least one of them should involving something outside of the core gameplay of catching and battling. Post game, there should be tons of Pokemon for you to catch, including several legendaries, at least one new feature, plus at least one battle facility (2 or 3 if it's a third version, sequel, or remake).

-Good storyline. Storyline isn't something I'm super obsessed about, but it should be something fairly substantial and enjoyable. Also, there should be some kind of plot twist in the storyline to keep things interesting.

Can't believe we don't have this thread already. Here's what I would like to see:

> Between 65~80 Pokemon

Now I know most people will think I'm crazy, but I liked the number of Pokemon Gen VI introduced. 1,234,567+ Pokemon in one generation does not make the game more enjoyable for me, as I prefer quality over quantity.

I'd also really like it if they would do it BW style where Pokemon from the previous gens don't show up until post-game. I thought that was a great way to focus on the native Pokemon instead of giving us Pokemon we've had several years to use.

> A huge free-to-explore region

Let's be honest, the selling point of Pokemon has never been its amazing story. Sure, I like I good story now and then, but what really gets me is the graphics and scenery. What I would really love to see in a Pokemon game is a region with lots of different unique spots that all tie together. I wouldn't be happier to see real-world inspiration go into some destinations. I'm sure most of you have heard of Niagara Falls, correct? I'd really love it if there was a beautiful spot like that I could go to in the game. Or how about the Grand Canyon? I could go on and on, but attractions like these would be beautiful in a Pokemon game, imo.

And to expand on the second part, yes, I think I speak for most fans when I say that I don't want to have to follow the same path as a bajillion other people. If I want to go to Town B instead of Town A first, then I'd like to so. I don't want to have to go to Town A, Town B, Town C, etc.

> Various side-quests and missions to do

Aside from doing the main story, I'd love to be able to do some other things unrelated to the main plot. Things like this can usually only be done in the post-game, but if I could go on missions and help NPCs for a possible reward, then I think that would be really cool.

> Mythology and folklore must be present

The most lore we really get in a Pokemon game is for the legendary Pokemon in that generation. But what I want is a region that's heavy on myths, has a grand back-story (a similar scale to Kalos, I suppose), and has lots of present day stories to go with it.

But this is just what I want in a nutshell. ^^

Speaking of new Pokemon, this is what I want to see for new Pokemon:

-90-120 Pokemon total
-At least 5 cross gen evos.
-At least 8-10 legendaries (2 or 3 mascots, 1 legendary trio, 2 or 3 event Pokemon, and a few others).

I'm tired and lazy so I won't go into depth (At least not right now :p)

-An engaging plot and storyline, that actually makes sense, that allows you to really understand different characters, or having twists that make you go 'wait WHAT?!'

-A good postgame, with new areas like the Sevii Islands, and several engaging storylines

-Myths and lore for legendary pokemon. Ideally each legendary would have a sidestory about them that leads to their capture, with the mascots playing a major role in the main storyline

-Difficulty settings. Ideally I'd like four difficulty settings, Youngster, Trainer, Gym Leader and Champion (Easy, Normal, Hard and Extreme). Rather then raising levels, they'd improve AI and add complex puzzles or other such things.

-Continuing the storylines from past games and linking it all up. I always value story and plot above anything else in a video game (I also don't like spending my time raising the perfect competitive team or doing random contests :p), and giving old stories even small references (You remind me of that kid with the Pikachu who beat me in Kanto!) would be awesome.

I haven't really given this much thought, so I'll just list off the first desires that come to mind.

*Ability to choose your profession (trainer, leader, evil team grunt, breeder, professor, etc.)
- A game tailored to whatever job you pick with no one choice taking precedence over another and stealing the limelight

*Able to pick whatever Pokemon you want as a starter (within reason) as you begin your journey to be whatever profile you choose
- Obviously no legendaries or Pokemon that evolve into a pseudo legendary, as well as certain niche types like Smeargle or Unown and anything else I've forgotten that could break the game
- For gym leaders, the starter chosen has to reflect the type you want to specialize in, as well as subsequent Pokemon caught. The starter's primary type has to represent the chosen element.

* No HMs needed. Ever. Cutting, surfing, flying etc. will instead be commands ingrained into certain Pokemon more closely associated with the HM type, e.g. no surfing Snorlaxes and Lickitungs. These moves also won't be able to be used in battle either. The geography of the region will have to be changed quite a bit for this.

* Ability to form a limited social circle with other characters that provides various benefits, such as discounts from the Poke mart by mingling with the owners, or corporate promotions for being a yes man to the evil team's boss (while playing as a grunt).

* Optional hard mode available at the start of the game. Pokemon is way too easy.

* A large variety in the Regional Pokedex

*Exploration-based post-game

*(At least somewhat) intelligent AI

*God-tier music

*Good battle graphics

*Interesting characters

*Several legends

*Takes place in Unova/a huge-as-heck region

*Creative designs for new 'mons

*Several callbacks to previous titles

*PWT in one form or another

*Actual PC interactions

*Choices that affect the plot (Ex. You can capture Yveltal, who ends up slaughtering Team Whatever, or you can defeat it, causing your failure in that particular mission)

*Darker elements

*Hilbert's garb as a choice of outfit for custom characters

*The death of Shauna, played for drama or laughs, I don't care which

Last edited:
-Fairly large region that should allow for some level of free roaming and exploration. Also, having a lot of unique environments would be nice.

-Diverse Pokedex, with all types given good representation and availability. Ideally, a large number of useful Pokemon of all types should be available early to mid game.

-Character customization. There should be a few more options for customization available a the start, and clothing shops should have more options, including the outfits of older protagonists later in the game.

-Difficulty options. Normal would be the current difficulty, Hard would give trainers teams with better moves, items, abilities, and better AI. Both difficulties are available from the start.

-Lack of monotype trainers. This would mostly apply to Gym Leaders and Elite Four members. Gym Leaders should use Pokemon that have something to do with the town they live in, for example, a Leader living in a town based around mining would have a team including things like Fighting types to represent workers and other Pokemon based on animals that can be found in caves, such as the Zubat line, rather than simply using only Rock or Ground types like we've seen in the past. As for the E4, they could be based on different play styles, such as an E4 who specializes in status conditions or an E4 who uses a team of sweepers.

-The story should be fairly simple. I don't want it to try too hard to be deep like the last couple of gens have, but there should still be room for character development and interaction. Also please hire the X/Y translation team again.

-Visually, 3D graphics are definitely a must, but I'd like them to be a bit more like Colosseum/XD. What I mean by that is a less grid based overworld with more natural looking landforms, and more expressive battle animations for all Pokemon rather than just having them stand there swaying back and forth and occasionally try to look like they're attacking something. Visible Trainers during battles would also be a nice touch.

-HMs should play a larger role in the game's progression, but with some limits. First of all, the only HMs that are necessary are Surf and Strength, with the others being used solely for optional items and paths, as well as a few other roles. Second of all, to make HM slaves less necessary, I came up with a new mechanic called "Utility Moves". Utility Moves are a set of four moves that a Pokemon cannot use in battle, but can use on the overworld. Some examples of Utility Moves would be Dig, Sweet Scent, and Fly. Also, the four moves that are used in battles are called "Battle Moves", and any Battle Moves that have overworld effects can be used in addition to the Pokemon's Utility Moves. Battle Moves can also be moved to the Utility Move slot if there's room.

-Finally, a large post game would be nice. I'd like something kind of like Kanto in Gen 2 or the Sevii Islands in Gen 3, where there's a bit more exploration and story involved, rather than just having a couple post game legendaries and a Battle Frontier.

More references to the real-life region of inspiration.
It doesn't necessarily have to be super-accurate, but I would like GF to continue what they've at least tried to do in researching for Kalos-France. Johto-Kansai was also good in that the legendaries were actually inspired from the Kansai-region/Japanese mythology. Hoenn-Kyushu, Unova-NYC, and Kanto by recent standards, are regions that are lacking in this department.

More overseas locations for the future generations.
I think we've seen enough of Japan at this stage. Furthermore, I do not want to see another region in Japan that is completely isolated like Hoenn and Shinnoh (though with better justification) became, simply because of the ever-true reason: No region in this modern age is completely isolated. This is definitely true in the domestic sense (or at least the areas that are well-served in transport/communication infrastructure), and becoming increasingly so internationally.

More NPC appearances outside of their home games.
In relation to my previous point above, I want more appearances of NPCs outside their home regions, to further elaborate the interconnectedness of the different regions.

More NPC appearances for non-Red protagonists and non-Green rivals.
Why this was not implemented in BW2's PWT, I am not sure. I'm sure we would like to battle Ethan after he became Champion. I'm sure we would like to see Wally with actual powerhouses that are not disadvantaged by level differences. I'm sure we would like to know what eventually happened to Hilda/Hilbert after their long absence. Besides, all of the protagonists/rivals except Red/Leaf now have speaking roles, so their characteristics and personalities can be based off their existing NPC speeches. As a special bonus, we could have had our versions of Hilda/Hilbert added through Unova Link - with their personalities and starter Pokémon based on the previous games' settings.

Someone's a gen 2 fan. :p I thought gen 2 had the weakest story, so I'm surprised with points 1, 7 and 8. I agree with all your points bar those three.

I think both sequels we've had (GSC and BW2) were very weak, story-wise. Their predecessors had already eaten the bulk of the meal and had the big stories. Then, the sequels were spent wallowing in the remnants. They could have gotten around this by creating more content, which BW2 sort of did, but I think they both didn't do enough and their stories never escaped the shadow of their prequels.

Points 7 and 8 are kind of linked (end-of-the-world plots tend to involve end-of-the-world pokemon). I don't trust Gamefreak to the alternative right. Pokemon has been quite awful at handling story in the past, mainly because not enough attention has been given to it.

The big story improvements occurred in gens 3 and 5, imo. Gen 3 was the first time they tried colouring in the villains and their plan. They didn't do a great job, but they devoted some time to it and the outcome was a big story improvement. I think they wanted to bring the box mascot into the plot, which meant they had to put more effort into the teams and all the other story aspects to support it. Making a big end-of-the-world story with legendary pokemon forced them to increase their scope and up their game in all areas of the story. We'll get a better (or at least different) story if they leave this formula, but I don't trust GF to not regress.

I find Team Rocket boring, personally. They were very poorly written in the early generations and exist purely to fill the role of generic cartoonish villains. They'd turn up in every location, be evil and lose, with absolutely no continuity between locations. I think ditching Team Rocket for Magma/Aqua was one of the best story decisions GF made.

My ideal Pokemon game: scrap the current formula completely. Get rid of the gyms and elite 4 and try writing some actual story. (Well, keep the gyms as a side-quest maybe.) I'm not talking Conquest or Ranger or anything: I want them to keep the mechanics and the universe the same, just get rid of the "8 gyms + elite 4 + evil team + version legendary + paper-thin post game" formula we've had for 6 generations.

1. More save games.
I like replaying the main story with other Pokemon teams and/or the other player character. I would like to be able to do that without losing everything I’ve achieved/all the items I got/etc. and to be able to go back to the other save game if I want to hunt shinies/EV-train Pokemon for online battles or competitions/other things that are only possible/easier postgame.

2. Difficulty options available from the start.
Especially if the games continue to be as easy as X/Y.

3. Character customization to return.
With the addition of:
  • more male clothing options.
  • more customization options at the start of the game, like eye-color and hairstyle and color.
  • the stores having a fixed clothing collection. I found it really annoying to have to visit all the stores every day just to see the different clothing.
4. Walking Pokemon to return.
I really liked that feature in HGSS. Though I would like to be able to choose which Pokemon walks with me (instead of it always being the Pokemon in front of the party) and it should be optional for those who don’t like the feature.

5. No HM’s.
They’re not always useful in battle and you can’t replace them with other moves before you visit a move deleter.

6. Less Pokémon that only evolve by trading.
Forever sad that there are 25 Pokemon I can't fully evolve simply because I don't have friends that play Pokemon.

Legendaries get side stories, not main ones. The mystery surrounding Legendary Pokémon was cheapened a bit when the games started having them directly involved in the main plot. They always worked best as side stories, like Suicune and Ho-Oh in Crystal.

Absolutely agreeing with this one. It’s getting really boring imo that the main storyline always revolves around a Legendary Pokémon.

My ideal Pokémon game would go like this:
  • More diverse Gym Leaders: Although this would probably never happen in future generations, wee need more than just mono-type Gym Leaders. Whiile I understand that the Gyms teach the target audience about type match-ups, there are other ways that the gyms could keep this purpose. Fro example, maybe they could add a Gym that specializes in types that are weak to a particular type, such as Pokémon weak to Ice.
  • Having the Evil Team not focus on a central Legendary Pokémon: This is also unlikely, but seriously, Team Rocklet didn't need to go after a Legendary to be considered a threat. The reason it's unlikely to happen is because it would ruin the Legendary version mascot thing that has been a staple since GSC (not counting FR/LG, considering those were remakes of RBGY). As a compromise, maybe Team Whatever is just after a powerful artifact, and then the version mascot steps in with little to no foreshadowing to keep them from obtaining such a deadly object that conflicts with its theme.
  • Non-Pokémon opponents: This idea came from the PokéStar Studios feature in B2W2. Maybe some sort of dangerous ancient-creatures have started appearing, and you need to use your Pokémon to fight them off. This would also help steer the plot away from Team Whatever trying to get the version mascot.
  • Have the E4 focus on strategy rather than mono-type teams: Even if the Gym Leaders stick with mono-type teams, I think that future Elite Fours should focus on something else. By the time the target audience gets to the Elite Four, they should be pretty familiar with the type-chart. There's no need to keep the mono-type teams at that point. After all, it's not like the majority of Champions has mono-type teams, so why should the Elite Four?
  • Dialog-trees: Also from PokéStar Studios, the player character should have dialogue trees instead of always having yes or no options. It doesn't have to happen often, but having more of this would be nice, and it might give us an outline on the PC's personality.
  • More side-features and side quests please!
  • DLC content: Things like battling special Trainers and customizing a certain facility like Gen. 3 did with the e-Reader (though this was mostly confined to Japan) isn't that hard to do with the 3DS, and it shouldn't be that hard to implement with future handheld systems either.
  • Show the player character's fathers from now on.
  • Have Gym Leaders contain more than 3 Pokémon and let the Elite Four members have more than 4 Pokémon.
  • Keep some form of customization available: I don't like Masuda's statement implying that character customization is going to be exclusive to Kalos. At the very least, Game Freak should have us choose from multiple character models at the beginning and give us the option of different preset outfits. Otherwise, have us manage an online avatar that has full customization like XY has.
  • Have converging evolutionary lines and/or don't give up on Cross-Gen. Evos: Just beacuse Mega Evolution exists doesn't mean GF should use it to cop-out of expanding previous evolutionary lines, especially when dealing single-staged Pokémon. I understand that certain Pokémon are not meant to evolve, and I'm fine with that. However, there are some incomplete evolutionary lines and single staged mons that could really benefit from an evolution. Doing something like making Mega Luvdisc just keeps it capped at having horrible stats forever. Unless that Pokémon is decent enough to stand on it own without a normal evolution, or is already a final-staged Pokémon, I'd prefer a standard Evolution over a Mega Evolution.

I think both sequels we've had (GSC and BW2) were very weak, story-wise. Their predecessors had already eaten the bulk of the meal and had the big stories. Then, the sequels were spent wallowing in the remnants. They could have gotten around this by creating more content, which BW2 sort of did, but I think they both didn't do enough and their stories never escaped the shadow of their prequels.

That's more a problem with execution than anything. GSC, as you point out later in the post, was written at that time when the storylines were practically nonexistent so of course there's not going to be much to it. BW2 meanwhile, suffers from a lot of the same problems that XY does (poor pacing, evil team seems to have no interesting motive until their full plan is revealed, etc.) so perhaps it's a problem with writing direction.

My ideal Pokemon game: scrap the current formula completely. Get rid of the gyms and elite 4 and try writing some actual story. (Well, keep the gyms as a side-quest maybe.) I'm not talking Conquest or Ranger or anything: I want them to keep the mechanics and the universe the same, just get rid of the "8 gyms + elite 4 + evil team + version legendary + paper-thin post game" formula we've had for 6 generations.

Or at least innovate on that formula. For instance, instead of having 8 gyms and you need to beat every one of them, maybe they could have 12 gyms and you only have to beat 8 of them to reach the Pokemon League.

1. More save games.
I like replaying the main story with other Pokemon teams and/or the other player character. I would like to be able to do that without losing everything I’ve achieved/all the items I got/etc. and to be able to go back to the other save game if I want to hunt shinies/EV-train Pokemon for online battles or competitions/other things that are only possible/easier postgame.

Not happening. Having multiple save files cheapens the rarity of one shot Pokemon and items like legendaries, Mega Stones, Master Balls, etc.

4. Walking Pokemon to return.
I really liked that feature in HGSS. Though I would like to be able to choose which Pokemon walks with me (instead of it always being the Pokemon in front of the party) and it should be optional for those who don’t like the feature.

Also probably not happening. Do you want to make nearly 1000 3D overworld models?

More diverse Gym Leaders: Although this would probably never happen in future generations, wee need more than just mono-type Gym Leaders. Whiile I understand that the Gyms teach the target audience about type match-ups, there are other ways that the gyms could keep this purpose. Fro example, maybe they could add a Gym that specializes in types that are weak to a particular type, such as Pokémon weak to Ice.

That would be fairly unintuitive, it'd be easier to teach players about certain types by having the gym trainers use the type instead of the player.

This is interesting..

Hmm..

Basically, I love Pokemon games just what it is. Just like what I said in the other thread, I will not stop playing game even the formula will remain in the future gens. However, we all have our dream type of Pokemon Game.

Story and Plot

IMO, there is nothing bad about the present storyline and plot formula of the game, after all, we are all used to it. However, it is very interesting if the story and the plot involves future or past storyline where you play an adventure without getting gym badges or beating the Champion.
This is what I'm thinking:
After collecting all the Gym badges and defeating the Champion, a certain old guy by the name of Oak has approached Might.
Oak asked Might if he wants another adventure. An adventure that involves saving the whole world. But before he do that,
Might should find a certain pieces of charm. Eight pieces of charm to be exact. Charm that only former Champion of eight
regions has received. A charm that once gathered, will bring control over a certain Legendary Pokemon that either destroy the
world, or save it. Might accepted the challenged and he go searching for the eight former champions of the eight regions.

With this plot, the player has to visit the eight regions(yeah, I've been dreaming that this will happen on Gen VIII) to search for the former champions that holds the charm. See, you have to visit different region to accomplish your mission and adventure.

Training Pokemon

I really wish we have control over stats of every Pokemon, just like other RPGs(Diablo series, Ragnarok, etc). But I think, stat distribution of Pokemon are unique in some other ways, especially the IVs and EVs, and I would like to retain that. But the thing I would like to enhance is the abilities and movepool. I would like to increase the abilities of every Pokemon from 1 to 3 abilities, 1 that can be activated upon entering the battle, and two that doesn't need to be activated but you can only choose one upon entering the battle. Also, moves should not be limited to four.

Side Quest

Not necessarily a post game quest, but a quest that are not connected with the story. We always see this kind of feature in different RPG game. And I guess, this is what Pokemon game lack.

Enhance online capabilities

I want an actual interaction with other player IN the game. That is what I really hate about the existing Pokemon game. Actual interaction with other players are limited through PSS and Safari but I am expecting an enhance online community that you can actually see and talk to the other players.

I guess, so far, that all I want. And I am always gving hope with this kind of dream. LOL

Ideally, this is what I'd like:

Starters made available in-game

Not necessarily for the main game, but at least before the post-game is complete. After choosing the Starter from the regional professor, I think that the game should allow you the option of obtaining the Starters from other regions, or even the regional ones you didn't choose. XY sort of did that with the Friend Safari, Yellow did it for the Kanto Starters, Emerald did it for the Johto Starters, and HGSS did it for the Hoenn and Kanto Starters. I want this feature to be made permanent. It sucks that I almost always have to transfer/trade my favorite Pokemon before I can use it in the game.

Better Story

I don't have a problem with the badge quest, but I'm a writer and I gobble up good storytelling. I love Pokemon in spite of its story, not because of it, and I think that there is a lot of room for improvement here (as well as a lot of potential.) Instead of dropping 15+ characters on us (Rivals, Leaders, Elites, Team Admins, whatever other NPC's) focus on a small core group of characters and freaking develop them. Give us interesting and clear character arcs, and make them actually grow. Silver was a pretty good example of this (as were N, Bianca, and Cheren, I guess) but he still felt bare bones. Come on, GF, I know you can do better.

For the love of God, keep the Legendary Pokemon out of the main story

It was cool when Gen III included the box legends in the plot; cute when DP did the same thing, but by the time BW did it (again,) it was tiresome. With XY, their inclusion was just straight up forced. Lemme let you in on a little secret GF, you don't need world-ending stakes to have an engaging story, and your legendary Pokemon don't need to be part of the main plot to be interesting.

On that note, legendary Pokemon should be few but with well-developed stories and used as sidequests.

Exactly what it says on the tin.

No more region locked Pokedexes

One of the things I hated about BW was that I was forced to use Unova Pokemon until the post-game. While I do think the new region's Pokemon should take the spotlight, if I want to play through the game with the Bulbasaur I've used twenty-thousand times, I should be able to do so.

If you bring in older characters, develop them

One of my main issues with characters like Jasmine appearing in DPPt, Steven in HGSS, and Cynthia in BW/2 is that they're mostly used as shoutouts and plot devices (Steven is just there to trigger the Lati event and hand over Hoenn Starters, Jasmine exists to give you waterfall and nothing else, Cynthia's only purpose is to battle you.) If you include them, take the time to develop them into stronger characters while you're at it.

A good post-game

While an exploration-centric post-game would be fantastic, I don't need it in order to be satisfied. The Looker story in XY continues to be by far one of my favorite things about Gen 6 and certainly a better storyline than the main plots of every game. The big flaw with it is that it was way too short. Give me something that is character driven with lots of on-screen character development and I'll be happy. Also a new region a la Gen II or FRLG.

200-300 Pokemon in the Regional Dex

With all types well-represented and all the Starters and Pseudo-Legendaries available.

Grass types get a buff

I know Ice technically needs a buff more than Grass, but Grass is my favorite type and this is my ideal Pokemon game wishlist, so there. Remove the Ice and Flying weaknesses and give them a much expanded movepool (with access to good Ground type moves, and possibly even some Fire type moves, depending on the Pokemon.) Basically, give Grass type Pokemon a reliable way to counter their weaknesses. It's not like Water and Fire don't get plenty of options. Why should Grass be left behind?

Remove Mega Charizard X

Yeah, now I'm getting petty, but again, this is my list, so there. It's not fair that Charizard gets two Mega Evolutions, and Megazard X is a spotlight-stealer anyway (with an ugly sprite in XY) so get rid of it. Zard Y is good enough.

Modify the IV system

Yeah, it makes Pokemon more unique, but it also makes some Pokemon actively suck. I don't care how easy it is to IV breed nowadays, I shouldn't have to bench the Pokemon I've raised from the start because they're not competitively viable, nor should I spend hours breeding a good offspring (and it does still take hours) just so I have a ghost of a chance against other players.

Make Starter and Eevee gender ration 1:1 instead of 7:1

I've heard all the reasons for keeping them mostly male species, and I don't care. I'm very anal about the genders of some of my Pokemon and I've spent hours breeding/soft resetting for a gender I want. I don't want the hassle anymore.

Last edited:
Simple: it would keep what does work, change what doesn't work(IVs only exist to make some pokemon better than others, Nidoqueen should be able to breed), and finally put in things that have been missing (such as a dark gym, special rock moves, etc.)

Also, it should be capable of having its own identity. That's something I felt X and Y sorely lacked.

You can join the villain teams.

Yes, that's it. It's all I've ever wanted ;-;

200-300 Pokemon in the Regional Dex

With all types well-represented and all the Starters and Pseudo-Legendaries available.
The existing starters and pseudo-legendaries alone would take up 75 slots, which is a good chunk out of 200-300. Just saying.

Life said:
> Between 65~80 Pokemon

Now I know most people will think I'm crazy, but I liked the number of Pokemon Gen VI introduced. 1,234,567+ Pokemon in one generation does not make the game more enjoyable for me, as I prefer quality over quantity.

I'd also really like it if they would do it BW style where Pokemon from the previous gens don't show up until post-game. I thought that was a great way to focus on the native Pokemon instead of giving us Pokemon we've had several years to use.
I don't see how the BW and XY extremes are compatible. Would you really enjoy a regional Pokédex with only 65-80 Pokémon?

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom