• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

what don't you like about hg/ss?

Everything in 3D can't be ripped easily. So the maps are scarce, let alone sheets. Also, the 3D trainer sprites from the overworld are like twice as big as FRLG, so my trademark style of mixing sprites from all games is... going down the toilet

What I don't like? There are no wild starters! I can understand no wild Kanto or Johto, but there aren't wild ones from Hoenn or Sinnoh? You can't even GET the Gen. IV starters in this game!

What I don't like? There are no wild starters! I can understand no wild Kanto or Johto, but there aren't wild ones from Hoenn or Sinnoh? You can't even GET the Gen. IV starters in this game!

Starters have never been wild. Ever. And you can get a Hoenn one in the game from Steven.

Last edited:
The only thing I didn't like about the original G/S, and still doesn't appear to have been changed in HG/SS, is that the levels of Pokemon in the Kanto gyms are so average. They should at least provide somewhat of a challenge. I remember it taking me however many hours to get through the Johto Pokemon League and then steam rolling through the Kanto gyms in an afternoon. Ideally, the Johto League should have Pokemon ranging from lvl 50-65 like the other games. Then over in Kanto, Brock could have his Onix at say, lvl 65. Misty could have her Starmie at lvl 68, Lt Surge could have his Raichu at lvl 71 and so on until you face Blue/Gary with lvl 80-85 pokemon. Then Red/Ash could have the same team but 5-10 levels higher. I've always found it hard to raise Pokemon to higher levels without a significant reason. Providing a decent challenge in Kanto post-Johto League would be rad.

Well I wasn't necessarily aiming for challenge. It's just that I think the pokethlon gives a much more entertaining hands-on experience than contests. I haven't played it though, so my opinion isn't really valid, it's just based on videos. The Pokethlon reminds me a whole lot of the Pokemon Stadium mini-games and I really enjoyed those.

I don't disagree that they're most likely all easy, but you could always just stick a magikarp in a power competition.

You'll enjoy it if you loved Stadium mini games.

The only thing I didn't like about the original G/S, and still doesn't appear to have been changed in HG/SS, is that the levels of Pokemon in the Kanto gyms are so average.

In case you didn't notice, the levels of the Kanto gym leaders exceed that of the elite four and Lance. Therefore, the issue was resolved, just not the way you expected it. Yes, levels were lower, but really, it can be justified in that you have 16 gyms to go through.

You can get them by trading with Diamond, Pearl or Platinum.
If you look around you'll probably find that several of the 493 Pokèmon aren't available in either HG or SS.
That's how Pokèmon have been from the very start, you can't get everyone in one game without trading.
I'd consider it lucky that we can even get Kanto and Hoenn-starters, neither of these were available in the original Gold and Silver (Well for Hoenn-starters this is obvious since they didn't exist yet, to get the Kanto ones you had to trade with Red, Blue and Yellow.)
If you have Wi-fi getting starters isn't really that hard. I made myself the goal of getting everyone, now I have all 12, and it didn't take that long:p And this was BEFORE they released a game with 3 generations worth of starters in it.

What the hell? Why would we have wild starters? That NEVER happens. And of course they're not going to include Sinnoh starters, that's what DPPt are for.

one of the points of Pokemon is to trade for pokemon what better way to make this happen than to make some pokemon unobtainable in the wild?

- Battle Frontier is a copy-paste.
- They spoiled the best track of GSC, the Game Corner music, completely! In GSC, it sounds cool. In HGSS... Soft xylophone-like instruments? WTF? I was waiting for a cool remix of that track.

You know, I was playing a bit of SS and reading this thread until a thought came up in my mind about Pidgey being in Johto.

The "common bird" of Johto, HootHoot, is only availible at night correct? In all the other regions, the "common birds" were obtainable at all times of the day. Perhaps Pidgey was used to compensate for HootHoot being availible only at night. Of course, this is just a wild theory I'm putting out here so I could be wrong.

I'm only bringing this up because a lot of people dislike that Pidgey and Rattata are in Johto. (Which is definitely a valid critisism, especially with Rattata. I'm not excusing this, just trying to see a reason for it.)

You know, I was playing a bit of SS and reading this thread until a thought came up in my mind about Pidgey being in Johto.

The "common bird" of Johto, HootHoot, is only availible at night correct? In all the other regions, the "common birds" were obtainable at all times of the day. Perhaps Pidgey was used to compensate for HootHoot being availible only at night. Of course, this is just a wild theory I'm putting out here so I could be wrong.

I'm only bringing this up because a lot of people dislike that Pidgey and Rattata are in Johto. (Which is definitely a valid critisism, especially with Rattata. I'm not excusing this, just trying to see a reason for it.)

There's no physical obstruction that prevents Pidgeys and Rattatas to migrate to Johto from Kanto...unlike Sinnoh and Hoenn.

I think that is a logical reason enough.

There's no physical obstruction that prevents Pidgeys and Rattatas to migrate to Johto from Kanto...unlike Sinnoh and Hoenn.

I think that is a logical reason enough.

I've often wondered about the criticism against Kanto Pokemon in Johto. What I don't get is the Johto pokemon not being in Johto. Though I suppose now, with the improvements HGSS made, that the Elite Four isn't really close to end of the game. It's more like a Mt. Coronet. It divides the game in half. Unlike the originals where Kanto was kinda just thrown in.

I've often wondered about the criticism against Kanto Pokemon in Johto. What I don't get is the Johto pokemon not being in Johto. Though I suppose now, with the improvements HGSS made, that the Elite Four isn't really close to end of the game. It's more like a Mt. Coronet. It divides the game in half. Unlike the originals where Kanto was kinda just thrown in.

Just because they're in the pokedex listed from 152 to 251 doesn't mean they should be region locked to Johto.

Migration, preference, etc. Maybe those pokemon liked Kanto better?

Just because they're in the pokedex listed from 152 to 251 doesn't mean they should be region locked to Johto.

Migration, preference, etc. Maybe those pokemon liked Kanto better?

I'm not saying they should be region locked, it'd just have been nice to have seen Sneasel in Johto again. It can be in Kanto all it wants, same as the others. But if it's going to be in Kanto and is a gen ii pokemon, it should be in Johto somewhere.

I'm not saying they should be region locked, it'd just have been nice to have seen Sneasel in Johto again. It can be in Kanto all it wants, same as the others. But if it's going to be in Kanto and is a gen ii pokemon, it should be in Johto somewhere.

Well, Mt. Silver is technically part of Johto. Or is Sneasel located elsewhere in HGSS? I don't know since I don't have the game yet

Mt. Silver is in Johto.

:|

Back
Top Bottom