• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What DON'T You Want To See In Gen IX?

The thing i also don't want to see, since it frustrates me a bit is have repeating dual typings in back-to-back generations or games, repeated types in the same gen or repeated typings that have a general same design concept or mons that have the same role.
Here are a few
Gourgeist and Trevenant in gen 6. They essentially serve the same role. Both are physical attackers and slow (Depending on the form for Gourgeist). So the only reason you would use the one of the other is either ability or which one you prefer over the other and to make matters worse, they also have the same evolution method by trading. And then to make matters worse, the generation after Decidueye gets introduced, another Grass/Ghost type that serves a similair role (Having higher Physical than Special attack) and having similair speed (60 for Decidueye over 56 for Trevenant and 54 for Gourgeist slowest Gourgeist mon). Even worse is Trevenant and Decidueye having the same physical defense, with Gourgeist having the same special as them).

Gardevoir and Hatterene are in the same boat, especially concept/design wise.
Both are Fairy/Psychic types with clothes. Both serve a similair role (Special attackers). Both have a gimmick and the worst part of it is, they have similair stats. Hatterene has higher Special Attack, Attack and Physical defense, whereas Gardevoir has higher Specials and Speed. Base stat total is also similair, with 518 for Gardevoir and 510 for Hatterene (So why would you even use Hatterene. Its slower compared to Gardevoir, has a lower BST).

However, on the other end of the spectrum is that i don't mind a Pokemon having a repeated typing (As long as it isn't in the same gen or a back-to-back gen), even if its the same concept/design wise

Here we take Carracosta and Drednaw as examples.
Both being Water/Rock types, they imo, serve a different purpose. Carracosta is more the utility mon (With it being able to learn Shell Smash and Curse, which Drednaw can't), especially if we also take into account the abilities. Carracosta has Solid Rock and Sturdy, so its build to last. Drednaw however, with it having 74 speed (Compared to Carracosta with 32), is build to dish out damage, with its ability Strong Jaw and Shell Amor. And while both Pokemon have Swift Swim as their HA, its pretty useless on Carracosta due to its limited speed (Which would still be lower than a Drednaw without Swift Swim). Carracosta also has a higher BST with 495 than Drednaw with 485.

So unlike with Gourgeist, Trevenant, Decidueye, Gardevoir and Hatterene, you can get use out of both Carracosta and Drednaw depending on your playstyle or team-build at that moment, while there would be no point using Gourgeist, Trevenant or Decidueye over the other, same with Gardevoir or Hatterene, since all will serve the same role on the team.
I agree with this. They're so bad about reusing types. I have no problem with refusing type combos or roles, but give us some time. The grass/ghost one is one of the worst imo, as we got the 2 in gen 6 and then immediately after we got both Decidueye AND Dhelmise.

Grass/poison was overdone I'm gen 1.
Water/ground was one they liked to reuse between 2-4.

Hisui especially made me mad with this. We got grass/fighting Decidueye and Lilligant in the same game. Also, Hisuian Sneasel copying Croagunk's type, and Qwilfish copying both Skuntank AND Drapion's type. All of which were in Sinnoh to begin with. I feel like those were missed opportunities to make new/unique typings. Instead, just a bunch of redundant repeats.

I like to add onto this by saying I don't want any starters with jobs. No gardener kitty, no chef duck, no conquistador alligator.
"What do you want to be when you grow up, kids?"

Sprigatito: I wanna be a gardener! :love:
Quaxly: I would like to be a chef! :sneaky:
Fuecoco: I desire to conquer other nations. :D

fairly confident theyve said this wont be the case

There's no confirmation on this yet. They've just said we can visit areas in any order, they haven't said anything about gyms period yet so there's no details on whether or not the gyms, we just know that we can visit areas in any order. It is looking likely that we will be able to complete gyms in any order given how much they're opening the game up already, and when they start talking about gyms (or their equivalent, if they're replacing them with something else in this game) that's probably the first thing they're going to say about them, but there's nothing about gyms being in any order yet, they've only talked about visiting overworld areas in any order.

I don't want raid battles back. I hate those i hate that the main series game is now dictated by whatever a mobile game does, regardless of its popularity
Raids, if they were like GO, wouldn't give you an easy way to play them single player and probably lock certain Pokémon behind your real geographical region.

I don't want raid battles back. I hate those i hate that the main series game is now dictated by whatever a mobile game does, regardless of its popularity
They should just make it better:
  • No more stupid AI partners.
  • More multiplayer freedom.
  • No excruciatingly long turn-times. For example: A heal, a status-effect or 2 for the whole team, a switch-out, 5 move-animations, a damaging weather condition... etc. It takes ages, kills any kind of agency and should be more streamlined.

While I like Max Raid Battles, it can use a big streamlining. The stat boosting or nerfing within the Max Raid Battles can take such a long time because they count the individual Pokemon separately. When they should only be counted separately when one or more have a different effect. Just a summarization of the affected Pokemon like "It's Super Effective on [Trainer's name]'s [Pokemon's name] and [Trainer's name]'s [Pokemon's name]!" would do a lot of the needed streamlining.

I was just reminded of this; as much as I liked many of Legends changes I'd prefer Exp given after an opponent faints rather than after a battle ends.
The PLA system led to the paradox that a really tough battle that had you on the brink gives minimal reward compared to curbstomping, so it's actual better to level up on opponents too weak to threaten you much.

It's true a lot of RPGs work that way, but most other RPGs have a much bigger focus on mid-battle healing and reviving (more notably it takes up one characters turn rather than everyone's) so it's more plausible for a fight to be very close but everyone is still standing at the end.

(I know this may feel contradictory to my complaint about gen 8 giving too much exp)

Alright... I feel like I've got a controversial opinion.
  • I know there's no way to stop this but I'm not a fan of most regional forms. I only like them when they have a genuine reason to not just be another Pokemon, like Galarian Corosla and Alolan Exeggutor, but for regional forms that could easily just be their own design I dislike them. Tell me, why did we need Alolan Persian, when almost every part of its design is done better in Liepard? Or the alolan golem line, when we could've gotten fresh designs that are entirely based on magnetite/lodestone? It's clear that a lot of these are only done because Pokemon doesn't know how to make their older Pokemon desirable to use. So I'd like less of them.
  • No more generic animal with an element mons, we need more interesting concepts. Pokemon recently has been doing fine with this but there's still some examples (boltund, pyroar, etc.) and I don't want them.
  • Please rework affection/friendship and make gaining it actually fun and not just robotically petting your Pokemon.
  • Improve online services. Please.
  • Better textures.
  • Have Pokemon not be so lifeless in battle all the time.

Some things I don't want to see in the next game:
  • Excessive exposition
  • Constant disruptions. (I don't mind a cutscene here and there, but don't make them show up every other step I take.)
  • Joke teams. Team Skull was good, but Team Yell??? They felt like bootleg Team Skull. (Though, I wouldn't mind a middle ground--something somewhat self-aware like Team Galactic's grunts could be fun.)
  • Whatever you call the abomination that is the festival plaza from SM/USUM
  • Trials like the ones in SM--I kinda just prefer gyms. Call me basic if you must.:lapras:
  • A new gimmick. I liked megas but neither of the two others. I've been playing Platinum lately and it's made me realize I kind of miss when things were more "vanilla". (Megas and primal reversions are always welcome back, though--those were fun.):ROFLMAO:
  • Dexit (I know it'll happen regardless, but I miss filling out a national dex and trying to, well, catch'em all!)Can I please just have my Unova 'mons in a game again? I miss them. :(
  • Excessive Kanto pandering. (I don't mind having Kanto stuff--just don't put in so much to the point it starts to overshadow other regions.)
  • Max Raid battles or any game mode that has you team-up with a stupid AI.
  • A jerk douche-bag rival or an overly friendly rival. (How about someone like Wally, Barry, or Hugh?)
  • For the love of all things holy, don't give us anyone like USUM!Lusamine or Chairman Rose.
  • Lifeless animations. (PLA did really great with the animations!! Please continue improving on that!)
  • Speaking of PLA, I'm not so sure I want battle styles to return for SV--even though I liked them, I'd prefer them stay in games like PLA.

Another roundabout way to trade with a specific player. Just make it straightforward, like letting us search for the player to trade with by name.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom