• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What DON'T You Want To See In Gen IX?

Let's get rid of the Link Code system and go back to the Friend Code System. Seriously, Y-Comm is probably the worst form of communication I have ever used, and the Link Code system is one of the reasons behind it. I cannot tell you how many times I got linked to the wrong person when it cames to trades and battles. Even the switch to eight digit link codes was not enough. I remember I was playing in a VGC tourney and me and my opponent almost missed the our round because I kept getting paired up with the wrong person.

More Kanto pandering - This stupid idea was annoying enough in Gen 7, while it fizzled out a little bit during Gen 8, they made the mistake of giving the Kanto starters as well as Pikachu, Eevee, and Meowth Gigantamax forms, Lapras was fine to get one since it didn't receive any attention before. Good thing PLA completely abandoned the Kanto pandering, just letting some Gen 1 Pokemon appear in the wild without stripping Hisui of its uniqueness.

Version exclusives - Simply put, I'm tired of this, especially when it comes to legendaries. Pokemon Gold and Silver as well as their remakes prove that you don't need the version mascots to be version exclusives for them to be great legendary mascots.

Burst mechanics - It's time to retire this concept because it's the only form-changing concept that actually forced a lot of Pokemon forms to be left behind.

Complicated ways to trade - Honestly, what's so hard about letting players trade easily? Evolutions that require items have only complicated trading over the years because apparently, Game Freak is against the idea of letting players request specific held-items on a Pokemon, you know, the category of items that are actually needed to evolve certain Pokemon through trade.

Simpleton evil team - While Team Skull and Team Yell were different enough since they weren't dangerous, just nuisances, I think it's time for a new serious evil team and not one that's obviously made to be funny.

Charizard

I don't mind if Charizard is available....

However it would be nice if the champions ace was a brand new gen 9 Pokemon though. (and yes I'm looking at you too Diantha/Gardevoir)

That said I think it would be nice to see Feraligatr and Meganium get some kind of love before we get more forms of the gen 1 starters.

i don't want to see an open world game, but i guess that's already confirmed

they should defs drop the whole evil team thing. they should have just retired that trope after subverting it with team Skull.

please no forced exp share

i also don't want to see the battle mechanics from Arceus return

i don't want to see an open world game, but i guess that's already confirmed

they should defs drop the whole evil team thing. they should have just retired that trope after subverting it with team Skull.

please no forced exp share

i also don't want to see the battle mechanics from Arceus return

Was there an evil team in SWSH?

• People harassing each other because of Dexit or another minor thing.
  • A bad prerelease campaign that makes mistakes like: minimal news on the last two months, hyping one singular new form as the biggest reveal in history, using silouettes with Pokemon half of the fandom already knows, etc...
  • A friendly rival with the starter weak to your own that treats you like Arceus' reincarnation. Hop squeezed the formula to the limit so it's not necessary to bring it back again, keep exposition characters to a supporting role like Akari/Rei.
  • Bad Pokedex distribution. Other posts have already talked about it so in summary: Kanto Favoritism (please don't give them half of the new exclusive gimmicks again) & common Pokemon being misused.
  • Rodent shilling. After one full year of Greedent & Bidoof shenanigans I'm scared about what could come next.
  • Rushed parts of the game being so evident. See: the Rose plot in SWSH or the unaccesible zones in SM.
  • No new zones in the postgame.
  • Raids being mostly untouched. If they keep the connection issues and the slooooow aaactions I don't think I'll bother with them again.

Barely. Team Yell was a joke, and Chairman Rose was......a poor excuse for a villain. Where's somebody like Ghetsis, huh? Now there was a villain. We need someone like that again.
Plus, we also need an evil team who is plain and simple hypocritical, that's the thing I liked about Team Plasma, the fact that they claim they care about a Pokemon's well-being, yet they abuse the very creatures they claim to be helping. Something that ignites the player's desire to want the evil organization to stop existing.

Plus, we also need an evil team who is plain and simple hypocritical, that's the thing I liked about Team Plasma, the fact that they claim they care about a Pokemon's well-being, yet they abuse the very creatures they claim to be helping.
Yup. Team Plasma was probably the best evil team in the entire series (except in the anime, hah! :ROFLMAO:)

A terrible "Evil" team. Team Yell was a friggin' joke and a bad one at that. Give me another Team Plasma.

Please stop pandering to freaking Charizard, Lucario, Gardevoir, etc. Really getting tired of seeing them getting new forms/upgrades/whatever. There are other Pokémon, Game Freak. They could use some love.

Chill out with the Kanto pandering. Enough is enough.

Another stupid gimmick. I'm over them. Also, they last one damn Gen and that's it. I actually liked Mega Evolution, there were plenty of Pokémon who could have used a Mega, but it will never happen now because we're not getting anymore Megas. So yeah, I don't want any more of that crud. I'm over it.

Regional forms that are Kanto Pokémon. There are other Regions. Share the love, please.

One thing I really want is to stop with the Kanto pandering. I'd just like to see a generation where Kanto Pokemon don't get as much focus. Seeing less of them get new forms. Not seeing something like the Champion's ace being a Charizard. Legends Arceus was fine though, without too many Kanto Pokemon getting new variants and most of the focus on Gen IV Pokemon.

Another things I'd really hope they don't do again is creating dungeons or towns that are literally just a corridor or something like 1 or 2 buildings. Towns like Turffield and Spikemuth were very lackluster. We need more towns like Circhester, Wyndon, or Motostoke. And make dungeons larger multilayered mazes again. Not just one long corridor.

The plot really needs to improve also. I mean there was hardly any major plot or buildup to Chariman Rose as the antagonist. We need more buildup. And please don't make segments where you storm the antagonists' base just an elevator ride again. That was boring.

Also, please, just PLEASE give us a better online system. The Y-Comm has been one of the worst online systems Pokemon has ever had.

Barely. Team Yell was a joke, and Chairman Rose was......a poor excuse for a villain. Where's somebody like Ghetsis, huh? Now there was a villain. We need someone like that again.

Team Yell wasn't even the evil team. It was only the supporters of Oleana and Chairman Rose, but that was just a portion of Macro Cosmos and they were more loyal than plain evil as well.

• Kanto pandering, but especially Charizard pandering. I honestly don't mind if it's obtainable in-game, but I just don't think it needs any new forms, especially if it gets more than the other two Kanto starters (like its two megas), or if it gets a form before the other two do (like how it had a Gigantamax in the main story/available in post-game and Blastoise and Squirtle weren't available till the DLC). I really don't think any of them need anything new. As for the Kanto pandering, I'm fine if we see some Pokemon from Kanto. It would actually be great to see Venonat and Venomoth in the main story seeing how they haven't been available in the main story in any other game besides Kanto ones. But I would hope that they focus more of the attention on some of the gens. I also would prefer we don't see any new regional variants of Kanto Pokemon (unless it's Dewgong but that's just because I love it)
  • Outdoor areas with fixed camera angles. Legends Arceus proved that they could give us a whole game with a free-moving camera, even having it indoors, so I would hope Gen 9 has a free-moving camera everywhere, but I at least want it everywhere outside. I don't want any more fixed camera angles, let me see the world.
  • Trade Evolutions. Pokemon Legends Arceus was a breath of fresh air for this, so I would really like to be able to have the link cord back for Gen 9, and any other future game. They don't even have to get rid of trade evolutions completely, just made the link cable an option.
  • Version Exclusives (at least with regular Pokemon). This one I don't care as much about, because usually, it isn't too hard to get version exclusives over wonder/surprise trade, but I would still like to see it handled better. Like trade evolutions, they don't even have to get rid of the concept completely, simply make the version exclusive Pokemon obtainable in the wild in one version, and in the other version have an NPC give it as a gift or trade Pokemon. I guess the only thing this wouldn't work with would be the box legendary, but there are other ways of handling that too, like letting you capture the other box legendary in the post-game.
  • Shiny-locked starters/legendaries (but especially starters), after seeing how Legends Arceus locked the starters, I'm really worried they will again, which is just so sad. I don't understand the reason for locking them. I don't think I'll ever complete a shiny starter hunt, but just having the opportunity to is nice.
  • Gyms going back to how they were prior to Gen 8 (or Gen 7 since they didn't have any gyms in Alola). If we continue to see gyms, I want to see them continue to do different things lore-wise with the gyms, rather than just go fight 8 strong trainers and get badges. Galar's lore with its gym challenge was incredible, so I want to see something like that.

Last edited:
  • Kanto pandering, but especially Charizard pandering. I honestly don't mind if it's obtainable in-game, but I just don't think it needs any new forms, especially if it gets more than the other two Kanto starters (like its two megas), or if it gets a form before the other two do (like how it had a Gigantamax in the main story/available in post-game and Blastoise and Squirtle weren't available till the DLC). I really don't think any of them need anything new. As for the Kanto pandering, I'm fine if we see some Pokemon from Kanto. It would actually be great to see Venonat and Venomoth in the main story seeing how they haven't been available in the main story in any other game besides Kanto ones. But I would hope that they focus more of the attention on some of the gens. I also would prefer we don't see any new regional variants of Kanto Pokemon (unless it's Dewgong but that's just because I love it)
  • Outdoor areas with fixed camera angles. Legends Arceus proved that they could give us a whole game with a free-moving camera, even having it indoors, so I would hope Gen 9 has a free-moving camera everywhere, but I at least want it everywhere inside. I don't want any more fixed camera angles, let me see the world.
  • Trade Evolutions. Pokemon Legends Arceus was a breath of fresh air for this, so I would really like to be able to have the link cord back for Gen 9, and any other future game. They don't even have to get rid of trade evolutions completely, just made the link cable an option.
  • Version Exclusives (at least with regular Pokemon). This one I don't care as much about, because usually, it isn't too hard to get version exclusives over wonder/surprise trade, but I would still like to see it handled better. Like trade evolutions, they don't even have to get rid of the concept completely, simply make the version exclusive Pokemon obtainable in the wild in one version, and in the other version have an NPC give it as a gift or trade Pokemon. I guess the only thing this wouldn't work with would be the box legendary, but there are other ways of handling that too, like letting you capture the other box legendary in the post-game.
  • Shiny-locked starters/legendaries (but especially starters), after seeing how Legends Arceus locked the starters, I'm really worried they will again, which is just so sad. I don't understand the reason for locking them. I don't think I'll ever complete a shiny starter hunt, but just having the opportunity to is nice.
  • Gyms going back to how they were prior to Gen 8 (or Gen 7 since they didn't have any gyms in Alola). If we continue to see gyms, I want to see them continue to do different things lore-wise with the gyms, rather than just go fight 8 strong trainers and get badges. Galar's lore with its gym challenge was incredible, so I want to see something like that.

About your letting to catch the other box legendary.

They should make that a post-game thing and then have it be some kind of quest to unlock the other box legendary.

Pls pls pls no friendly rivals. I actually liked Hop in Sw/Sh (I know a lot of people found him unbearable) but I'm ready for a return of a character similar to Silver. Someone it feels extra good to beat. I also agree with everyone saying they don't want a dud evil team.

Pls pls pls no friendly rivals. I actually liked Hop in Sw/Sh (I know a lot of people found him unbearable) but I'm ready for a return of a character similar to Silver. Someone it feels extra good to beat. I also agree with everyone saying they don't want a dud evil team.
Agreed. I'm so done with this "friendly rival" nonsense. I want a rival whose respect you have to earn, and who's an ass to you early on.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom