• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What DON'T You Want To See In Gen IX?

like Bede?

Bede was giving me what I want in a rival up until he got disqualified. I know he had to for the story arc but I kind of wish it was just a tad bit later - maybe after like the 7th badge.

I don't mind having a friendly rival, but it's always more fun beating the crap out of a jerk. If the games are really based on this school environment, might be cool to have some sort of rival that's like a school bully or something.

to be honest, i never cared much for Silver. Blue felt like a true rival who was always one step ahead of you in achieving your shared goal, but Silver was just some kid you bumped into from time to time. i fully understand why they stopped doing asshat rivals after that; Blue worked, but it only worked once.

I don't want a jerk rival. My complaint is kind of the opposite. I feel like the friendly rivals aren't friendly enough. They always get really sad when I beat them and complain about 'why aren't I as good as you?"

I think I like Hugh the best out of all the Rivals. He was friendly to you, but also super confident in himself with goals other than just trying to out do you.

I think I like Hugh the best out of all the Rivals. He was friendly to you, but also super confident in himself with goals other than just trying to out do you.
I think Hugh is a pretty good model for rivals to emulate, yeah. I think he took the best parts of Barry, while the other friendly rivals have mostly taken the worst parts. Cheren and Bianca are fine though.

A character like Melli from Pokemon Legends Arceus is kinda what we need in a rival. Melli was outright antagonistic and did everything he could to halt your progress, while acting completely full of himself and looking down on you.
So we need an obnoxiously flat and shallow character with no depth beyond pure antagonism toward the player? No thank you.

So we need an obnoxiously flat and shallow character with no depth beyond pure antagonism toward the player? No thank you.
i think this is a weird take when rather than arceus you would have a whole core game to develop that personality and give it depth
if mellie annoyed you, or was obnoxious, then the point of his character worked, however i disagree with the original post’s notion that he was outright antagonistic when in reality he’s like that for like, some of the game, and even ends up giving you stuff later

i think this is a weird take when rather than arceus you would have a whole core game to develop that personality and give it depth
The only issue is that they've never actually been able to do that with an antagonistic rival. Even Silver's character writing kind of sucks.

The only issue is that they've never actually been able to do that with an antagonistic rival. Even Silver's character writing kind of sucks.
i feel like it could have been better but it’s not, like, atrocious

Honestly it feels like the fandom lionizes jerk characters; I saw people hyping up Melli and then when I met him in-game he turned out to be an antagonistic speedbump with zero interesting traits; too cartoonish and inept to take seriously, but not funny enough to be charming or amusing.

Keeping in mind I never played gen 5 so maybe it's different there...
...I find that Pokémon struggles to make villains feel like real threats because either the villain get stuff done off-screen then flail around uselessly when you're around OR your character turns into a moron during cutscenes; how often do we beat known villain then just let them walk away or carry out their plan in front of them because your Pokémon don't exist during cutscenes.
I can't take these villains seriously because it feels less like they just got a win and more that the writer handed them something out of pity while telling me I'm not allowed to end everything now despite it clearly being in my power to have Machamp just grab Xerosic to stop him from activating his doomsday weapon.

- Excessive move type availability. It greatly reduces the strategic elements of the game if every Pokemon can learn a move of every type, especially given how common Super Effective OHKOs are. Make type matter! Make the playerbase bring the right Type to the party not just the right coverage move.

- Stupid levels of offense. When pokemon like Dracovish can reliably OHKO every Pokemon in the game which isn't Water, Grass, or a Dragon (and can even OHKO some of them), it's a problem.

- Gimmicks like Dynamax or Megas or something like that. I wouldn't inherently have a problem with it, but they've proven fully that they can't implement such gimmicks in a way that doesn't unbalance the Dex and drastically shrink the pool of viable Pokemon. Since they can't even include all Pokemon in the game, much less give them all GMax forms or Megas or whatever, just focus on having the most complete and best Base Game you can. I don't want the checklist for 'is it viable' to read: 'Does it have the new Gimmick? Is it a legendary or Pseudo Legendary? Does it have some crazy unique ability or item available? If not, it's not viable'.

- Non-skippable cutscenes every time you walk 5 steps. Seriously, Less is More! And I ESPECIALLY don't want cutscenes in which the characters sit around eating and summarize the cutscene I just watched (looking at you PLA...) It's so disrespectful of the time and intelligence of your audience.

- A return to wild encounters of old. PLA (and to a FAR lesser extent Sw / Sh) did the overworld right. It would be so tough to return to "traditional" wild encounters after seeing how much better it can and should be. I'd also prefer to stick with PLA's catch mechanics.

I've seen some people on youtube say they want this so I figured I would come by to say the opposite
I don't want Agile and Strong style returning for this game, it was great for a side series but not every single game.
It was fun and all but, at least from my experience, agile style rarely actually gave me an extra turn, the feature combined with the inability to switch mons when an opponent sends out something new means that there were alot of situations where they sent out a Pokémon and double attack ko'd my Pokémon that was already out which got annoying. Similarly my Pokémon just felt a lot weaker because 90% of the time after they KO'd a single Pokémon they would get destroyed by whoever was sent out next thanks to the sytles, which sure might be more balanced but made my Pokémon feel like they couldn't take down more than one Pokémon ever.

I've seen some people on youtube say they want this so I figured I would come by to say the opposite
I don't want Agile and Strong style returning for this game, it was great for a side series but not every single game.
It was fun and all but, at least from my experience, agile style rarely actually gave me an extra turn, the feature combined with the inability to switch mons when an opponent sends out something new means that there were alot of situations where they sent out a Pokémon and double attack ko'd my Pokémon that was already out which got annoying. Similarly my Pokémon just felt a lot weaker because 90% of the time after they KO'd a single Pokémon they would get destroyed by whoever was sent out next thanks to the sytles, which sure might be more balanced but made my Pokémon feel like they couldn't take down more than one Pokémon ever.
The styles were extremely half-baked and they should get rid of them. All they ultimately accomplished was to make Speed the best stat.

green shinies(unless they actually are good)
charizard forms
balanced league(hidden ability infernapes with a focus sash/milotics with flame orbs)
bipedal final grass evo

Was that not Blue's personality in the Gen 1 games and remakes?

- Yes, much like Bede in Pokémon Sword and Shield. I think the main difference is that they tried to justify their failure to halt your progress by saying that you weren't worthy of their attention.

- Well, I like Melli, because he seem funny to me, and Blue, probably because of the anime and his looks, but I don't like Bede so much. Hop, the friendly SHSW's rival, is, on the other hand, one of the best characters in the game franchise (my opinion), extremely cheerful and enthusiastic.

- So, thank you very much Hop for making me appreciate SHSW even more. I hope Pokémon Games have more characters like you.

Last edited:
-Past game champion cameo. Give me Volo. GIVE ME VOLO. He'd be a perfect superboss.
-Fake villain team to 'throw us off' of who's the actual villain and actual villain is obvious
-The villain having absolutely no hints of them being evil. This does not counter the previous statement. You can have a villain not be in your face obvious and still hint they're not all what they seem. Like give me overhearing a conversation that could be suspicious or benign, only for full later context to reveal the truth. Finding sus documents. Having the leader actual be a good person and instead have one of their underlings working behind their back. IDK I'm sleepy I cannot brain enough to express my thoughts on this correctly.
-Child character in a position of 'power' (champion/elite four/villain higher up)
-HMs in any form. I like ride pokemon like in Sun and Moon and Legends Arceus. Makes sense as to why I can't, say, have any old strong pokemon climb up a cliff with me when there's an official 'trained' pokemon that will carry me safely in some kind of proper safety setting. ...I like sneasler's box.
-Cut trees. I can't remember which game was the last to have cut trees but if I see a cut tree and my fire type can't burn it to ash so I can step around it to get the item ball, imma throw hands.
-creepy/cute child ghost trainer. We have two now, we're good.
-Difficult to obtain/one time only apricorn balls. Just give me my moon balls Gamefreak and nobody gets hurt.
-Like only 1 use for evolution stones. I don't wanna see just one pokemon that evolves via sun stone for example.
-Past starters handed out. If you wanna give us an option to pick from a trio to counter our starter's weakness, give us something like the monkey trio... but better. Doesn't even have to be a themed trio, maybe just someone giving out some beginner level trio pokemon to choose from.
-If the champion's ace is not a new pokemon I will rage. Bonus negative points if its a pokemon you can't naturally find in the region and have to be gifted.
-Charmander's line. I love charmander and its evolutions but stop please for hte love of arceus stop you're making everyone hate my bois
-No fun side activities. Pokeathlon, voltorb flip, secret bases, mining like the underground... give me something that will stop me in my tracks and stall me continuing the plot

I'm sure I can think up more but I shall stop now.

Speaking of which, I don't want the legendaries to be locked behind random chance to encounter, that was the most annoying part of the Dynamax Adventures, combined version exclusives really made me hate the feature.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom