• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What DON'T You Want To See In Gen IX?

- Most things that are the same in most of the previous games. With the exception with the evil team but even I would want that to be interesting.

- A small variety of creatures.

And personally I think new forms for gen1 creatures is fine if it’s a forgotten gen1 mon that we’re dealing with. As in one that never really got anything else and most of the fanbase probably don’t even remember or talk about.

Huh, they're some of the first I think of outside my favorites but maybe that's because I've used them against the 'they are running out of ideas that is just an [insert animal here]!' argument. Like how I use voltorb for the just an object argument!

Plus I think seel and dewgong are cute as heck.

ARE there any gen 1 mons most don't remember at all? O-o

I think every fan remembers some Gen 1 Pokemon to some degree, but there are some that are less popular/forgotten than others I would say those would be:

-Paras/Parasect
-Venonat/Venomoth
-Bellsprout/Weepinbell/Victreebel
-Mankey/Primeape
-Doduo/Dodrio
-Seel/Dewgong
-Drowzee/Hypno
-Krabby/Kingler

I think every fan remembers some Gen 1 Pokemon to some degree, but there are some that are less popular/forgotten than others I would say those would be:

-Paras/Parasect
-Venonat/Venomoth
-Mankey/Primeape
-Doduo/Dodrio
-Seel/Dewgong
-Drowzee/Hypno
-Krabby/Kingler
Kingler and Primeape at least have the distinction of being owned by Ash in the anime.

-Paras/Parasect
-Venonat/Venomoth
-Mankey/Primeape
-Doduo/Dodrio
-Seel/Dewgong
-Drowzee/Hypno
-Krabby/Kingler
I'd also add Spearow/Fearow to that list

But anyway, onto the actual topic of the thread at hand, here's the stuff I don't want in these new games. They're not very numerous since the games have only just been announced, but this is what I have so far:
  • Another Dragon-type pseudo-legendary. Look, I love Dragapult with all my heart and soul, but even I can't deny that Dragon pseudos are stale and way overdone. The last non-Dragon pseudo we had was Metagross, and that one was introduced alongside Salamence, meaning the only non-Dragon pseudo that was introduced all by itself was Tyranitar. I want another completely standalone pseudo-legendary that isn't Dragon-type.
  • Whatever the new gimmick is, just please don't make it as horrendously broken as Dynamax was. Look, Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves definitely had their flaws and issues, but at least it still was completely possible for your team to deal with them without having to resort to a Mega or Z-Move of your own. Not to mention that they came at the cost of a held item. Dynamax on the other hand is such a ridiculously cheap instawin condition without any drawbacks that 99% of the time the only way to counter it is with a Dynamax of your own, and that imo made battles brainless and boring. No more. Please make the next gimmick one that requires actual strategy, or at the very least one that doesn't turn darn near every single battle into a "who can get their overpowered Max Move setups and boosts out first"-fest...

Whatever the new gimmick is, just please don't make it as horrendously broken as Dynamax was. Look, Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves definitely had their flaws and issues, but at least it still was completely possible for your team to deal with them without having to resort to a Mega or Z-Move of your own. Not to mention that they came at the cost of a held item. Dynamax on the other hand is such a ridiculously cheap instawin condition without any drawbacks that 99% of the time the only way to counter it is with a Dynamax of your own, and that imo made battles brainless and boring. No more. Please make the next gimmick one that requires actual strategy, or at the very least one that doesn't turn darn near every single battle into a "who can get their overpowered Max Move setups and boosts out first"-fest...
Yes, totally agree. While Megas made some Pokemon broken (Charizard, Blaziken, I'm looking at you both...) it was only limited to certain Pokemon, it did require sacrificing held items, and I think it's more even-handed in doubles. The system definitely wasn't game-breaking in itself, unlike Dynamax which got blanket-banned to Anything Goes in Smogon. Not only is that an obvious sign of poor balancing, but that means weaker Dynamaxes can't be used in Smogon anyway as they'll get flattened by stronger ones. I personally kind of wish Megas return with some further improvements to the system.

Yes, totally agree. While Megas made some Pokemon broken (Charizard, Blaziken, I'm looking at you both...) it was only limited to certain Pokemon, it did require sacrificing held items, and I think it's more even-handed in doubles. The system definitely wasn't game-breaking in itself, unlike Dynamax which got blanket-banned to Anything Goes in Smogon. Not only is that an obvious sign of poor balancing, but that means weaker Dynamaxes can't be used in Smogon anyway as they'll get flattened by stronger ones. I personally kind of wish Megas return with some further improvements to the system.

In fact, Blaziken was already half broken before it received the mega-evolution, and mega-charizards are not broken, there are a handful of megas and Pokemons that are stronger than them, but quite strong.

The problem with Mega is that it was limited to a relatively handful of Pokemon that were reasonably popular or already reasonably strong. This made a large number of weaker Pokemon seem even more irrelevant. And well, in some cases they completely miss the hand, as in the case of Mega-Salamance or Mega-kangaskhan, which was later nerfed.

Neither of the Mega Charizards are broken, though. They give Charizard a huge boost in power and improve its usability by a ton for sure, but I wouldn't call either overpowered; most of what makes Megazard difficult is that it can be tricky to guess which of the two your opponent will use, since ZardX and ZardY have completely different counters, but even then you can still get a relatively good idea of which Charizard you're most likely to face by looking at its teammates in team preview. Blaziken meanwhile was already overpowered in its base form anyway. In fact, a lot of the time if a Mega Evolution is broken that's just because the base Pokemon that it's a Mega of was already broken itself.

In fact, Blaziken was already half broken before it received the mega-evolution, and mega-charizards are not broken, there are a handful of megas and Pokemons that are stronger than them, but quite strong.

The problem with Mega is that it was limited to a relatively handful of Pokemon that were reasonably popular or already reasonably strong. This made a large number of weaker Pokemon seem even more irrelevant. And well, in some cases they completely miss the hand, as in the case of Mega-Salamance or Mega-kangaskhan, which was later nerfed.
Yeah, basically this. Mega Evolution was a pretty cool idea in concept. The main issue with it is that a huge chunk of Mega Evolutions were given to Pokemon that were already extremely powerful. If Game Freak had shown restraint and disqualified legendaries and pseudo-legendaries from getting Mega Evolutions, the mechanic would have been much, much better (and in any case is still way more balanced than Dynamax). And yes, Mega Kangaskhan was overpowered, but I admittedly don't mind that one being broken due to base Kangaskhan being rather overlooked, so I find it nice that she became such a monster. Same goes for Mawile.

I agree that we need to stop this Kanto pandering, but Venonat and Venomoth are perhaps the most forgotten Pokemon as they have rarely featured in a regional Pokedex that doesn't include Kanto or Johto. And since there is a lot of fans of the games who are adults (such as Yours Truly), I think we need to end the dumbing down of games, and as some people have said in the thread, kids are more intelligent than Game Freak gives them credit for, so the games should be smarten up. And some are saying no more trade-based evolutions. It should be mentioned that they stopped this in Generation VI as there has been no new trade-based evolutions in Generations VII or Generation VIII (although they had pre-Generation VII Pokemon that still evolved by trade), and I think they would continue this and have no trade-based evolutions in Generation IX.

And I am not going to be popular here, but I think some of these gimmicks (such as Mega Evolutions and Dynamax) encourages people to work on a different strategy in the games as players have to change their strategies from the previous game, and if we use the same strategy for each generation, then it will be so predictable and become too easy. So for the metagame aspect of Pokemon, keep these gimmicks to challenge the player instead of keeping the same strategy from one generation to the next.

Neither of the Mega Charizards are broken, though. They give Charizard a huge boost in power and improve its usability by a ton for sure, but I wouldn't call either overpowered; most of what makes Megazard difficult is that it can be tricky to guess which of the two your opponent will use, since ZardX and ZardY have completely different counters, but even then you can still get a relatively good idea of which Charizard you're most likely to face by looking at its teammates in team preview. Blaziken meanwhile was already overpowered in its base form anyway. In fact, a lot of the time if a Mega Evolution is broken that's just because the base Pokemon that it's a Mega of was already broken itself.

Yeah, basically this. Mega Evolution was a pretty cool idea in concept. The main issue with it is that a huge chunk of Mega Evolutions were given to Pokemon that were already extremely powerful. If Game Freak had shown restraint and disqualified legendaries and pseudo-legendaries from getting Mega Evolutions, the mechanic would have been much, much better (and in any case is still way more balanced than Dynamax). And yes, Mega Kangaskhan was overpowered, but I admittedly don't mind that one being broken due to base Kangaskhan being rather overlooked, so I find it nice that she became such a monster. Same goes for Mawile.
Is it still pretty easy to shut down Charizard Y with double Stealth Rock weakness? And how dependent are the teammates and Charizard on each other?
I wouldn't mind seeing a Mega-Raichu, actually. Now that's been overlooked by the ever-famous Pikachu for the longest time.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom