• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What DON'T You Want To See In Gen IX?

So do you think they regressed to the “separate battle from the overworld” thing? Or did they simply not have the overworld battles in the build they showed?

I think the battles are going to take place in the overworld and there's going to be seamless transitions between the two gameplay phases (i.e. it doesn't fade to black and then have you reappear in another dimension or something, the camera might just zoom in/out to start the battle), but there's no throwing Poke Balls or Pokemon attacking you outside of battle. I'm not sure you can run around during the battle either, but I'm not as sure about that.

Another thing in light of the new trailer. Please don't have the other professor as the villain. I've seen the concept of "omg bad guy professor1!1!1!" handled badly enough by some Pokémon fangames in the past to have me dislike it, and my confidence in Game Freak's ability to make a good antagonist is still shaken from Rose.

Another thing in light of the new trailer. Please don't have the other professor as the villain. I've seen the concept of "omg bad guy professor1!1!1!" handled badly enough by some Pokémon fangames in the past to have me dislike it, and my confidence in Game Freak's ability to make a good antagonist is still shaken from Rose.
Game Freak made Rose, but remember that they also made N. unfortunately they felt the need to undercut the meaning of that final battle by making Ghetsis the true villain, but that doesn't take away from the fact that N was an amazing villain

Yeah I gotta say the evil professor thing, as plausible as it sounds, would really suck. I can’t imagine it not being corny as hell

I mean, Pokemon doesn't generally have villains in the sense that they're "evil" and have malicious intentions, Pokemon tends to err more towards what TV Tropes calls "Well-Intentioned Extremists" with their antagonists, characters that have sympathetic motives but resort to drastic measures that have disastrous consequences. There are only a handful of characters that I would consider to be proper "villains" in the Pokemon series, pretty much just Giovanni (and even with Giovanni, with the way he's portrayed in Masters, which gives him by far the most characterization in the series, he's more amoral than evil), Ghetsis, and Faba.

I can see the opposite version professor being the antagonist, but again it would likely be through a "Well-Intentioned Extremist" perspective like usual. Perhaps the past/future theme going on here is going to result in a full on conflict between the two factions (schools?) between wanting to innovate and look towards the future and stick to the past, with the resolution between the two at the end being that they look to build for the future while still sticking to the region's roots. I actually said way back when we were speculating about what 8th gen would be like that I wanted to see a plot like this and thought the 8th gen games would be called Past and Future. A plot like this would really be a case of art mirroring life, the transition to console on the Switch has resulted in similar conflicts among the fandom between wanting the series to change and adapt to a more console style of play vs. wanting the series to remain the same and sticks towards its roots. This could actually be a really good plot if it's done that way, as usual for the odd-numbered generations.

Pokemon tends to err more towards what TV Tropes calls "Well-Intentioned Extremists" with their antagonists, characters that have sympathetic motives but resort to drastic measures that have disastrous consequences.
I don't think there were was anything sympathetic and well meaning about Ghetsis. He just wanted to conquer Unova for reasons and used the whole "pokemon are slaves" as a cover up to make people release their pokemon so that he could conquer Unova with no opposition.

The rest do fit your description, but i call them more idiots than well meaning extremists.

I don't think there were was anything sympathetic and well meaning about Ghetsis. He just wanted to conquer Unova for reasons and used the whole "pokemon are slaves" as a cover up to make people release their pokemon so that he could conquer Unova with no opposition.

"Tends to", meaning it happens frequently but not all of the time. And if you look at my full post, I mention Ghetsis as one of the exceptions.

My problem is that not even if they reuse tropes in their villains. My issue is that Gamefreak just leaves everything undercooked and unfinished. Even N, the so called "best villain", was also underwritten and half baked. It's even more apparent when you play other RPG franchises with far better writing and it makes the villains (and honestly the entire writing) in pokemon look amateurish by comparison. Maybe i set my expectations too high by playing games like Xenoblade Chronicles 1 (but to be fair, this game has its share of dumb crap like Zanza. Which is ironically is the main villain, but thankfully its lackeys are far better written.), but i can't help but to feel underwhelmed and disappointed when they set up cool stuff, only to fail to make it interesting.

It means the evil pokemon professor can work (many games have done the evil mentor thing to great effect), but i don't trush Gamefreak to pull it off.

I might have said this plenty times over various starter discussions, but please, type combinations on the starters that don’t suck. I have decided I’m picking the Grass starter no matter what happens, and I genuinely believe that I’ll like the final form even if it ends up on two legs. But I’ve kind of decided that I’m pretty muvh going to be disappointed if it isn’t Grass/Fair, Grass/Steel, and because I do think an old theory on starter typing predictions seem legit, Grass/Water according to what I’ve heard. Whatever is the cost, DO NOT make this thing Grass/Dark. What an absolute garbage typing.

Also this second point might be kind of controversial or out of place, and I have a stinging feeling that it won’t happen anyway, but I really hope the cast of humans are not only white or japanese people. We need as much of a diverse cast in this generation. Which we have had diverse casts for a long time now so I’m sure that this won’t be any different, but if otherwise, I might be greatly peeved. Yeah, sorry that this was… kind of out of place here, but I feel I needed to put it out. I dunno, ignore this if you wish.

Diversity among NPCs tends to depend on the diversity in the places the regions are based on. Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Hisui were based on Japan, so it's natural that there'd be very few black people as there isn't really a sizeable minority of them there. Unova, Kalos, Alola and Galar are based on places with a white majority but a sizeable black minority, so that's what you'll see there. i suspect this new Spain region will fall in the latter category.

Yeah, I figured it would have to depend on the basis. On the flipside I could also imagine them going inaccurate just to get a diverse cast, but I digress.

I'm not really interested in bringing racial talk into my Pokémon discussions, however since real world demography got mentioned...

Unova, Kalos, Alola and Galar are based on places with a white majority but a sizeable black minority, so that's what you'll see there.
I will say that America (and by extension Hawaii) are a whole different ballpark than Europe. 5.5% and 3% of black citizens in France and Britain respectively is not what I'd call a "sizeable minority".

But otherwise, carry on as you were...

So, to change the subject, here's another thing I don't want: a huge lack of towns and cities.

Just because it's open-world doesn't mean there can't be a good number of settlements spread throughout. The reason why it worked for Legends Arceus is because Hisui was a new land that had yet to be fully explored.

I just don't think that a huge lack of settlements is justified in a modern-day Pokemon region.

I'm not really interested in bringing racial talk into my Pokémon discussions, however since real world demography got mentioned...

I will say that America (and by extension Hawaii) are a whole different ballpark than Europe. 5.5% and 3% of black citizens in France and Britain respectively is not what I'd call a "sizeable minority".

But otherwise, carry on as you were...
I live in europe. black people are nowhere near as common here as they are in the US, but still far more common than in Japan. During my 5-month stay in Japan, i saw maybe 4 or 5 black people at most, not counting the other foreigners in my dorm. in Europe, while they're far from the majority, they aren't that uncommon, especially in the cities, so it makes sense for the regions to reflect that.

First off, for this gen's pseudo legendary, no Dragon-type! The only time we had a no-Dragon pseudo was in Generation 2, as Generation 3 had two and one is a Dragon-type. Even the only pseudo regional form kept its Dragon-type. I am open to any other type combination no matter how unfortunate it could be, so like Grass/Bug or Ice/Normal are fine by me.

Also, the decision to leave some moves behind is a good decision, so I would like to see Pursuit never returning ever again, and if the effect were to return, preferably it should be something like a Grass-type attack. Also, given how the developers are not afraid to restrict Toxic and Knock Off's distribution this Generation, I hope that Ice Beam's availability among Water-types are further restricted in Generation 9 because this availability greatly favours the type in a way that made them even more of a dominant force (they can scare off types that are supposed to counter them, PLUS they have a deadly move that can freeze).

Thank you for reading.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom