• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What DON'T You Want To See In Gen IX?

I think a Grass version of Pursuit could work as the user growing large spiky grass that injures an opponent attempting to switch out.

Speaking of Grass and Dark, here is my usual reminder that I DON’T wish to see the Grass starter being Grass/Dark. It is literally the most unusable type combination in the entire game. Can’t hit anything super effectively? Weak to everything? Grass/Dark is SO useless words cannot express the sheer hatred I have for that loathesome typing. I cannot think of anything that makes that typing even remotely usable.

Speaking of Grass and Dark, here is my usual reminder that I DON’T wish to see the Grass starter being Grass/Dark. It is literally the most unusable type combination in the entire game.
While it is definitely not the best type combo out there, there are definitely loads of type combos that are far far worse, at least its numbers of weaknesses and resistances is equal unlike some other type combos.

While it is definitely not the best type combo out there, there are definitely loads of type combos that are far far worse, at least its numbers of weaknesses and resistances is equal unlike some other type combos.
And it's pretty good offensive STAB to have as well; Game Freak just needs to give it more offensive-oriented stats.

Just in case anyone questions why I’m so paranoid, it’s because Khu the Khrapass claims that not only are we going to see a Grass/Dark starter, but the gen9 starter final evos would be the same as the Legends starters but Grass and Water swapped. Water/Fighting is fine as I can see it happening, but any repeat typings in a row is unforgiveable.

The cat is probably my favourite of the 3 starters at the moment and I’m picking it in either game even if a shit typing happens, but there are so many options for an great typing, so why give us an atrocious typing like Grass/Dark that I can’t imagine working?

Of course, Khu has also claimed many incredibly unlikely stuff such as gen9 introducing 130+ original mons (after so long of less than a hundred?) and a so called notion of ‘fake’ regional variants (no, we need REAL regional variants. Piss off, Khu) so this all won’t happen, but it just worries me so much.

Feel free to state ways on how Grass/Dark isn’t a completely horrendous typing. Point is, I absolutely loathe that useless typing, and am very much afraid of what could happen if the cat really ends up being Grass/Dark and they end up screwing over it’s movepool.

Of course, Khu has also claimed many incredibly unlikely stuff such as gen9 introducing 130+ original mons (after so long of less than a hundred?)
Not supposed to talk about leaks out here but: Someone else says the 130+ original mons thing not Khu, that someone else being much less trustworthy.

The cat is probably my favourite of the 3 starters at the moment and I’m picking it in either game even if a shit typing happens, but there are so many options for an great typing, so why give us an atrocious typing like Grass/Dark that I can’t imagine working?
Gamefreak likely come up with the design before the typing so if it is grass/dark it would be because it matches the design thematically

Gamefreak likely come up with the design before the typing so if it is grass/dark it would be because it matches the design thematically
That probably was the case. And besides, looking at the descriptions we have available for the Grass starter, the probability of Grass/Dark seems greatly unlikely. Unless they are trying to pull off something like using tons of sweet scents is a ‘cheap tactic’, but that still seems like a great stretch.

you want a completely optional feature to be absent because you personally don't enjoy it? din't get me wrong, i don't like them either, but you can always just, y'know, ignore them.
I tend to ignore them, indeed. Nothing really against contest lovers, though. I kinda had fun with them back in Sapphire and Emerald, but it felt tiresome afterwards. Cosplay Pikachu and contest clothes are kinda cute, but overall, not my cup of tea anymore. Sure, that's just my opinion. Though I've seen some people truly annoyed with them, to the point it was hilarious, even.

Hmm... If I may add something else that I don't want to see, then... Mega Evolutions. Then again, just my opinion. Never really liked to use them, even though some pokemon look really cool, like Gardevoir, Absol and Gengar.

Another team like Team Skull/Yell.

I dislike Team Skull, and I absolutely despise Team Yell, so if we get another "lame team who pretends to be bad until the real villains reveal themselves" who ends up being even lamer than Yell, then my character is going to become the REAL villain of the game, with the sole motivation of assassinating every member in said team.

The thing i also don't want to see, since it frustrates me a bit is have repeating dual typings in back-to-back generations or games, repeated types in the same gen or repeated typings that have a general same design concept or mons that have the same role.
Here are a few
Gourgeist and Trevenant in gen 6. They essentially serve the same role. Both are physical attackers and slow (Depending on the form for Gourgeist). So the only reason you would use the one of the other is either ability or which one you prefer over the other and to make matters worse, they also have the same evolution method by trading. And then to make matters worse, the generation after Decidueye gets introduced, another Grass/Ghost type that serves a similair role (Having higher Physical than Special attack) and having similair speed (60 for Decidueye over 56 for Trevenant and 54 for Gourgeist slowest Gourgeist mon). Even worse is Trevenant and Decidueye having the same physical defense, with Gourgeist having the same special as them).

Gardevoir and Hatterene are in the same boat, especially concept/design wise.
Both are Fairy/Psychic types with clothes. Both serve a similair role (Special attackers). Both have a gimmick and the worst part of it is, they have similair stats. Hatterene has higher Special Attack, Attack and Physical defense, whereas Gardevoir has higher Specials and Speed. Base stat total is also similair, with 518 for Gardevoir and 510 for Hatterene (So why would you even use Hatterene. Its slower compared to Gardevoir, has a lower BST).

However, on the other end of the spectrum is that i don't mind a Pokemon having a repeated typing (As long as it isn't in the same gen or a back-to-back gen), even if its the same concept/design wise

Here we take Carracosta and Drednaw as examples.
Both being Water/Rock types, they imo, serve a different purpose. Carracosta is more the utility mon (With it being able to learn Shell Smash and Curse, which Drednaw can't), especially if we also take into account the abilities. Carracosta has Solid Rock and Sturdy, so its build to last. Drednaw however, with it having 74 speed (Compared to Carracosta with 32), is build to dish out damage, with its ability Strong Jaw and Shell Amor. And while both Pokemon have Swift Swim as their HA, its pretty useless on Carracosta due to its limited speed (Which would still be lower than a Drednaw without Swift Swim). Carracosta also has a higher BST with 495 than Drednaw with 485.

So unlike with Gourgeist, Trevenant, Decidueye, Gardevoir and Hatterene, you can get use out of both Carracosta and Drednaw depending on your playstyle or team-build at that moment, while there would be no point using Gourgeist, Trevenant or Decidueye over the other, same with Gardevoir or Hatterene, since all will serve the same role on the team.

Yeah, but still need to waste a turn to set it up and then switch out into Hatterene (Since its to slow itself to set it up), so you basically already waste 2 turns.
Trick Room already has the lowest priority in the game and Hatterene learns it by TM so it can set up the room by itself. In addition, Hatterene also has Magic Bounce as one of its abilities which is valuable and easily sets it apart from Gardevoir.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom