• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What DON'T you want to see in SM?

I think megas should stay, but introduce less per game from now on.

A massive regional pokedex. Lets have 160 pokemon for regional dex this time.

200-300 is appropriate for a regional dex IMO, it's big enough that they can avoid variety issues but not too big that the newer Pokemon get drowned out as they did in XY.

200-300 is appropriate for a regional dex IMO, it's big enough that they can avoid variety issues but not too big that the newer Pokemon get drowned out as they did in XY.
GSC was probably the sweet spot in terms of Dex size, though not quite in terms of old-Pokemon-to-new-Pokemon ratio.

Yeah, I'm somewhere in the middle. I like having variety and a lot of choices, but not to the point where it takes away focus from the new gen of Pokemon, or if the choices used to pad out the Dex are unnecessary niches whose roles are already covered.

I'm up for 200-300. I'm hoping the new gen make up half the Dex at minimum. BW2 had a good balance, imo.

GSC was probably the sweet spot in terms of Dex size, though not quite in terms of old-Pokemon-to-new-Pokemon ratio.

GSC also had some type variety problems, notably only having only 2 Ghost and Dragon types. I'd say Platinum and BW2 are better examples of what a good regional dex should look like.

I dunno, I figure we should be getting bigger and bigger dexes, since we have more and more Pokémon overall. It's a matter of proportions.

I dunno, I figure we should be getting bigger and bigger dexes, since we have more and more Pokémon overall. It's a matter of proportions.
After XY, I don't trust GF to be able to keep a huge regional Dex balanced. I need that confidence restored before I can feel comfortable with them experimenting with a Dex on such a scale again.

I really don't want them overdoing the Mega Evolutions. A few are fine but once you start adding more than three to five...that's when things get iffy.

And I doubt they're going to do this but I would not be happy if they reverted to the "Mandatory HMs" (I.E. need HMs to progress through the game) that was used prior to Generation V.

After XY, I don't trust GF to be able to keep a huge regional Dex balanced. I need that confidence restored before I can feel comfortable with them experimenting with a Dex on such a scale again.
It's either a large regional dex or a mass unlock of the majority of pokemon come the national dex. At this point there is no alternative.

It's either a large regional dex or a mass unlock of the majority of pokemon come the national dex. At this point there is no alternative.
True, but given those two choices I find the latter a lot more appealing, since it allows for a wider variety of Pokemon to be found in whatever postgame areas we get, and allows the Pokemon distribution of the main game region to feel a lot more focused and consistent. XY had a lot of Pokemon that could only be found on one or two routes, and a lot of evolutionary lines were restricted to a single member appearing in a single area, and I'd prefer that not happen again.

I don't care about the regional Dex, but more for the total amount of in- game catchable Pokemon. A good portion of Pokemon opening in the post game adds hours of gameplay.

The Dex Nav hidden Pokemon is a great example. Being DexNav exclusive, you had to sneak to them to see what they are, adding excitement to unlocking them.

Also in BW, where catching your all time favorite was restricted to the post game.

Last edited:
~ A stuttering frame-rate when anything greater than 2 Pokemon appears on-screen (or even during 1 v 1 splitscreen!). C'mon Game Freak...This is the system seller...And yet so far its arguably under-performed compared to other titles in the library. The models are beautiful, but there isn't even a-lot going on, visually! After 2 games and spending this long with the hardware, hopefully they step it up here.

~ More boss characters with un-finished move-sets and minimalist team builds :/ (Unless of course they're made with a lowered difficulty setting in mind...) Something along the lines of BW2 should become the standard for design in my opinion, settings included (but from the start).

~ Another poor man's Battle Zone.

Last edited:
Anything for Zygarde, no-post game preferably.
Preferably a villain that doesn't get the sympathetic treatment
pointless friends/rivals
pointless story/plot
barely there champion/gym leaders/elites
HMs
Dragon champion/Gym leader/Elite

Last edited:
Nothing for Zygarde
Plot with no legendary as the centre
no gym rematches
no post game or too short post game
No Dragon gym leader, elite four or champion.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom