• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What DON'T you want to see in SM?

Honestly, I can't really think of many. Zygarde is the only one that comes to mind, everything else seems to have been wrapped up pretty nicely.
The ghost girl of Lumiose city, xerneas and yveltal's location, the eternal flower floette, the whole team flare plotline of x and y ect

The ghost girl of Lumiose city
Irrelevant easter egg just there to be creepy

xerneas and yveltal's location
The game forces you to catch them, so, in your party or your Box

the eternal flower floette
Resolved. Belonged to AZ, left him, returned to him.

the whole team flare plotline of x and y ect
Resolved. Most of them died when their base collapsed after your battle with Lysandre.

Irrelevant easter egg just there to be creepy
Was the ghost girl on the marvelous bridge of BW also "irrelevant easter egg just there to be creepy"?

Jabberwocky said:
Where exactly did team flare get them though?

Jabberwocky said:
There's data in the game with her and different stats than a regular floette and a move caller "ruin power"

Jabberwocky said:
Resolved. Most of them died when their base collapsed after your battle with Lysandre.
But did Lysandre really died inside the team flare base? We'll never know

But where are they from originally? In XY, they're just sorta end up powering the Ultimate Weapon until you catch them, and the game doesn't really go into their lore at all.

Again, not so much a matter of where it is now as much as its origins. What created the new form? Was it the Ultimate Weapon? What is that flower it holds?

Beyond those, I can think of a few others:

-Southern Kalos. It's referenced several times in the game but not fully explorable.
-AZ's full name and identity.
-Project AZOTH. What do the last three letters stand for?
-The Anistar Sundial. It has something to do with Mega Stones but this is never fully explained. What is it exactly and where did it come from?
-The locked doors in the Power Plant.
-The train station to nowhere in Couriway Town.

Was the ghost girl on the marvelous bridge of BW also "irrelevant easter egg just there to be creepy"?
Yup.

That's a plot hole, not a plot thread - if even that. It's not particularly important either way.

There's data in the game with her and different stats than a regular floette and a move caller "ruin power"
Her story is resolved. Her being in the game - not something we were ever supposed to find out, remember - was probably intended for an event that never panned out, or was abandoned with her data left in the game.

Occam's Razor says yes.

Of course we won't. And Z wouldn't change that. You don't expect a Pokémon game to show us the body, do you?
But he either dies or is given eternal life like AZ. Probably the former. Either way, he ends up punished for what he tried to do.

I agree that XY left quite a few unsolved mysteries, but I do not agree that every mystery has to be given a solution. I enjoy Pokémon games giving me the freedom to come up with my own headcanons and explanations. Like, who was the Kanto Champion before our rival? Or how did the Original Dragon look like? Who exactly was Zinnia's Whismur named after and what happened to the original Aster? Those "loose threads" are fun and don't need to all be explained.

No, but not all spooky ghosts get storyline expansion. The ghosts at the Old Chateau were just there. The ghost in Phoebe's room is a blink-and-you-miss-it scare.

But where are they from originally? In XY, they're just sorta end up powering the Ultimate Weapon until you catch them, and the game doesn't really go into their lore at all.

The forest (Xerneas)/mountains (Yveltal). They explained this. When Xerneas/Yveltal reach the end of their lifespans, they hibernate in a forest/mountain range.

I've got to figure we're supposed to just assume; they're not going to show us his corpse or anything. They didn't for the old man in Anistar or Phoebe's grandmother, but the implication in both of those instances is especially clear.

Although, in X, it is a fair question as to whether or not he is now an immortal puddle of squashed organs.

Was it the Ultimate Weapon?

Well, we know that wasn't it, because the weapon was based off of the Floette. I suspect that there is something special about that flower it holds, which perhaps mutated it upon evolving from its Flabébé stage. But, that's just a theory.

-AZ's full name and identity.

Is never suggested to be anything other than AZ, ancient king of Kalos. They don't create a mystery around what "AZ" means. That *is* his real name, and in fact they explain what it means - it means the beginning and the end.

I agree that XY left quite a few unsolved mysteries, but I do not agree that every mystery has to be given a solution. I enjoy Pokémon games giving me the freedom to come up with my own headcanons and explanations. Like, who was the Kanto Champion before our rival? Or how did the Original Dragon look like? Who exactly was Zinnia's Whismur named after and what happened to the original Aster? Those "loose threads" are fun and don't need to all be explained.

I concur with this - there are of course some specific mysteries that I personally would like the answer to (ABYSSAL RUINS), and I am sure that everybody else has their own, but as a broad rule, I think leaving mysteries open and unsolved is a good thing. Like, is there really some kind of secret hidden within the Pattern Bush? I think an answer would be far more boring than the question.

(Although, there actually was no Kanto Champion before your rival - Lance implies that defeating him would have automatically made you the Champion, if Blue hadn't just claimed the title for himself. Now, you could still wonder why the spot was vacant...)

I don't want to see an Elite 4 anything like the Kalos Elite 4 ever again. It was bad enough to have Elite 4 members only with four Pokemon in your first battle to begin with, but to keep that in the post-storyline was absolutely awful. They should have five Pokemon when you first face them and a full team with increased levels afterwards. In a similar vein, Gym Leaders with only three Pokemon late into the game. Having only two or three Pokemon for the first few Gyms is perfectly fine, but by the fifth or sixth Gym, the Leaders should have four or five Pokemon at least.

Not having any Sky Battles would be nice. The feature really didn't add anything of value to X/Y and it did make the models of some of the other Pokemon look really weird like with Xatu.

Mega Pokemon for Pokemon who clearly don't need it. Did we really need to give Garchomp, the poster child for overpowered Dragon Pokemon, a Mega Evolution? I can understand giving it to popular Pokemon, but that decision always bugged me and I would rather see Mega Evolutions for Pokemon who either can't evolve any further or are strong enough already to where they don't need a traditional evolutions. I don't mind Mega Evolved Legendary Pokemon, but keeping that to a minimal at least would be good.

I never want to see another Fire/Fighting starter Pokemon again. I still don't mind if they use the combination for a regular Pokemon, but please continue to make the Fire starter evolve into any other type combination. Three Fire/Fighting starters in a row just turned me off from the combination so much.

Zygarde or Kalos in general taking up too much focus in the games. I can understand the issues people have with X/Y and wanting to see Zygarde forms resolved. I'm not really against that, but I don't want it to take up so much focus to where Sun/Moon don't have their own identities or spend so much time trying to wrap up a previous generation that it weakens their own storyline. Granted, I hope that the time they've spent working on Sun/Moon makes the chances of any of that happening pretty slim, but it is a concern of mine and I want them to focus on their own region, Pokemon, characters and storyline more than leftovers from X/Y. Besides all that, the more I think about it, the more I really don't care about the Zygarde forms compared to Sun/Moon having their own good storyline. Again, I'm not against it, but it's just really not a huge priority for me.

Last edited:
I dont want to see a lot of focus on older Pokemon. I really didnt like that about Kalos. The new Pokemon there seemed pushed to the side and there were fewer of them which I really didnt like. I feel like new generations should give spotlight to new Pokemon.

A fire/flying starter, it would be really annoying if gf saw all the people saying no fire/fighting and decided to try and panda to gen1 fans with a fire/flying charizard knockoff instead, especially if they then added a whole bunch of strong rock types with stealth rock.

I do not want another Champion like Diantha. She was just... there. She had very little characterization/fleshing out and I didn't like that at all. I'd like a Champion a bit more like Alder, who had an actual story.

I'd also not like to see another Fire/Fighting starter Pokemon. It's been done and done more than enough. So let's just give that a rest already.

"Popular" Pokemon that get two different Mega Evolutions. I don't want another Charizard X/Y or Mewtwo X/Y situation again.

The Battle Maison being the only battling facility. I don't mind it coming back as long as it's not the only thing. Give us a little variety, okay?

The busted freaking GTS still not being fixed. Can we please clean that place up and make it somewhat useful? (I know this one probably won't happen but I can hope.)

Sky Battles. Not a good idea in concept or execution. Even if they fix the issue of certain Pokemon not being able to participate when they should, and even if they fix the shadow issue, it doesn't really offer anything besides restrictions and letting you see a new battlefield background.

Zygarde or Kalos in general taking up too much focus in the games. I can understand the issues people have with X/Y and wanting to see Zygarde forms resolved. I'm not really against that, but I don't want it to take up so much focus to where Sun/Moon don't have their own identities or spend so much time trying to wrap up a previous generation that it weakens their own storyline. Granted, I hope that the time they've spent working on Sun/Moon makes the chances of any of that happening pretty slim, but it is a concern of mine and I want them to focus on their own region, Pokemon, characters and storyline more than leftovers from X/Y. Besides all that, the more I think about it, the more I really don't care about the Zygarde forms compared to Sun/Moon having their own good storyline. Again, I'm not against it, but it's just really not a huge priority for me.
Zygarde could be post game so it wouldn't take focus off the other stuff in the main story. I don't want to see the Battle Maison for the third time in a row.

I don't want more than 70 new Pokémon. Less is more and I will never understand people asking for 100~150 new species when we have >700 already.

But more importantly, I don't want dating simulator in Pokémon. Please... Don't ruin Pokémon >_>

I also don't want to see a ton of new Kanto Megas. Let some other regions get some love, please.

Thing is, a big number of Gen I Pokémon are in desperate need of a boost to be anything good competitively. Persian, Butterfree, Electrode, Primeape, Raticate, Fearow, Tauros, Wigglytuff, Arbok, Sandslash, Marowak, Parasect, Golduck, Farfetch'd, Dodrio, Dewgong, Muk, Hypno, Kingler, Seaking, Mr. Mime... All Gen I mons that see no action in online battles, because they just don't have the "specs". Sure, there are plenty of Pokémon like this in later gens as well (poor forgettable ones like Stantler, Chimecho or Mothim), but when designing the very first batch of Pokémon, Game Freak had no idea what the competitive side would be and didn't really think things through much - hence the majority are jacks-of-all-trades at best. Look at Golduck's stats for example. They are really well-balanced - and really worthless. Compared to that, Unova or Kalos introduced a lot more Pokémon capable from the start - like Mienshao, Excadrill, Chandelure, Aegislash or Talonflame. And even the average joes of these gens often have their gimmicks, something they can do. Like Malamar's Contrary Superpower or Galvantula's Compound Eyes Thunder.

Not that I'd be against Mega Maractus or Mega Gogoat. But I think - and hope - that we're not yet done with Gen I Megas. Nostalgia is not the only factor here.

I feel like mega evolution should remain a gen 6 thing. Don't think gen 7 should have new ones. We have plenty anyway.

So we're just going to let the blatant kanto and hoenn starter favoritism slide?

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom