• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What DON'T you want to see in SM?

Maybe not a Champion - I feel they need to sort out the issues with the type before making a major, major player focus on them. They could start by cooling it on making so many slow and defense-oriented Pokemon for a type considered to be the worst at defending. Plus I like varied Champions.

I'm a no on the Ice type villain, too. Unless it's a minor villain. We just had Neo Plasma try to freeze Unova with Kyurem fairly recently.

@Karamazov; True I suppose, Bug and Ice are two types that need a boost in order to really stand upon their own though. But if Dragon gets seated out then Ice should as well, would allow the other types more focus and attention.

Why exactly is that a bad thing though?
I can see why people wouldn't like it. You can't use the Pokemon you've grown to love, instead you're being forced to pick new and unfamiliar ones. You can't mix old and new, you have no choice but to stick with new stuff. Until you've beaten the game. Some people might like that situation, while others might be turned off by it.

I really loved it, though. It put focus on the new Pokemon and made it feel fresh, almost like I was playing Pokemon for the first time again. I was actually one of the people hesitant to expand the Dex in BW2 because I enjoyed the fresh and exciting feel. (Plus Gen V had the best designs, IMO. I was worried that we'd get bad choices that would clash with the Unova mons.)

Edit: I swear I don't mean to make all my posts about how much I love Gen V.

Last edited:
Yeah not gonna lie, I like doing my best to use only new-region pokemon when I first start the game. That was one of my favorite things going into Black and White.

That said, I swear if I see another non-evolving pikachu clone when pikachu are readily available in the wild... I'm gonna be adding another pokemon to the hate pile. (Dedenne is the only one so far that isn't totally loathed by me.. and that's just because it's cute and what few episodes of the anime I've seen with it haven't made me hate it.)

^I actually think they've been doing better and better with the Pikaclones recently. Not great, but Emolga and Dedenne are both dual-types, unlike Plusle, Minun and Pachirisu, and Dedenne is a new, unique combo even. All we need now is - like many of You are saying - an evolving one. A Raiclone that actually makes the cute Pikaclone into a useful mon.
That or just drop the Pikaclones tradition altogether, but that's even less likely than them making no more Eeveelutions (seriously, Poison and Normal, I say, but no more).

Pretty much what @Karamazov said. Only having new Pokemon forces you to use the new ones when you may not like them. They don't want to do something that divisive, it could end up turning off some people to the game and reduce sales.
I'll take an entirely new fresh pokedex like BW anyday over something like x and y with 300+ old mons crammed in the game and barely 69 new pokemon to complement them.

Last edited:
I'll take an entirely new fresh pokdex like BW anyday over something like x and y with 300+ old mons crammed and barely 69 new pokemon.

I loved what BW did, but it also seemed like kind of a novelty, and it didn't sit well with a lot of other players, so I don't think they would do that again.

However... I don't know that I've really ever been happy with any of the regional Pokédexes. Johto's was alright, but lacking too many of its own Pokémon. Misdreavus, Houndour, Sneasel? What gives? Hoenn is just a bad mix for me, personally, and Sinnoh was too shallow. B2W2 was really good... except, that wasn't an "introductory" game, and we had just had a set of games with a pure focus on all of the new ones. XY were extreme, but they at least got a good mix of Pokémon.

Hm, looking at it now, I guess I would say that the Hoenn Pokédex had the best overall structure... I just didn't care for the particular choices of Pokémon.

Am I the only who thinks Kalosdex is by far the best of all time? The new Pokémon were few, yes, but pretty much at any given point of your journey you could meet a new one, so they were well-distributed among the numerous areas. And the fact the dex has over 450 Pokémon to choose from gives you so much options! not only that, they made quite a few new choices - like Jigglypuff, Sudowoodo or Noctowl late into the game or surprisingly early Absol, Axew or Aerodactyl.

Please god no shitty Pokedex like DP or BW. 150 pokemon is just a such lame number of pokemon for a region. Diversity would be crap, the same pokemon over and over again and after some runs you run out of pokemon you can use if you want to have different pokemon. For a seventh gen and probably 800 existing pokemon, I want 400 at least.

No more power creep that made previous generation Pokemon redundant, but given that having the latest tech is a selling point in most games I would not be surprised if the average BST of Gen 7 Pokemon scaled upwards compared to their predecessors.

One thing I don't want to see in Sun/Moon is a pokedex that's 90% old Pokemon and barely any new Pokemon, or the opposite. There needs to be a balance between old and new Pokemon, which is one thing I didn't like about the X/Y Pokedex was that there was way too many old Pokemon and very few new Pokemon, mainly because they wanted to focus more on the Mega Evolutions over anything else, and even then, all the Megas that were introduced in X/Y combined with the original Pokemon that were introduced (including the event Pokemon) didn't even make up a total 100 new Pokemon while the regional dex had over 450 Pokemon. I mean, I don't mind having a large Pokedex, but I would like some balance between older and newer Pokemon and not just one over the other.

Another thing I do not want to see in Sun/Moon is an over-reliance on some kind of gimmick like Mega Evolutions were, because it makes it feel like that single gimmick is more important than anything else, even though the plot of X/Y made Megas out as if they were something huge... but after the third gym when you get the Mega Ring, the entire plotline is pretty much dropped.

Speaking of plotlines, I hope the plot of the games isn't disjointed and poorly paced with plotlines starting and stopping with no real conclusion at all.

Am I the only who thinks Kalosdex is by far the best of all time? The new Pokémon were few, yes, but pretty much at any given point of your journey you could meet a new one, so they were well-distributed among the numerous areas. And the fact the dex has over 450 Pokémon to choose from gives you so much options! not only that, they made quite a few new choices - like Jigglypuff, Sudowoodo or Noctowl late into the game or surprisingly early Absol, Axew or Aerodactyl.

Well, it is true that I do think it is best to make use of the many already-existing Pokémon before adding new ones, so in that regard, I like what XY did. I suppose if I think about it, my real problem with it is more that I wish they had diversified the areas a bit more, specifically as it pertains to the flowers. I remember them saying during the prerelease period, something along the lines of the different flowers letting you encounter a wide variety of Pokémon, but all they really did was have modified encounter rates for the Pokémon that could be found in the normal grass on that route. I was hoping that they would have a wider mix, with certain Pokémon in the regular grass, and then different Pokémon in the flowers.

^I actually think they've been doing better and better with the Pikaclones recently. Not great, but Emolga and Dedenne are both dual-types, unlike Plusle, Minun and Pachirisu, and Dedenne is a new, unique combo even. All we need now is - like many of You are saying - an evolving one. A Raiclone that actually makes the cute Pikaclone into a useful mon.
That or just drop the Pikaclones tradition altogether, but that's even less likely than them making no more Eeveelutions (seriously, Poison and Normal, I say, but no more).
I'm glad we got Emolga (and Dedenne is neat, I guess.) I'm counting their types as the minor gimmicks because, while they add more versatility and ideas to the mix, the Pikaclones are all geared to play the same way - fast, fragile special attackers with low HP. Aside from Pachirisu, who is a fast wall with low HP.

Me, I'd like to see a Pikaclone/Raiclone that was a Fairy type, but it's a bulky physical attacker. Or maybe a wall that works on supporting and healing its companions, ala Audino.

The Kalos Dex were good in theory, but I had two major problems with it.

1) I think the distribution wasn't that great. We had a ton of Pokemon that were only available in one or two areas, even when they'd have reason to be in other places.

2) While the wide variety of Pokemon were nice, we had a lot of bloated filler. Pokemon that already had others filling their role, and only really existed so Gen XY and ORAS could have all the Pokemon available: Delibird, Pidgeot, Dunsparce (I don't know why they keep bringing up this Pokemon lately), arguably Caterpie, Farfetch'd, the elemental monkeys, Luvdisc or Alomomola, Stunky, Makuhita, etc. It's fun to have options, I found these ones to be kind of shallow.

3) Precious perfect Pokemon Noibat was only available after you beat the 7th Gym. Pretty late into the game, and the only Gym you could use it in it the one Gym where it would be the least useful.

If they have a super big Dex again, I'd want them to cut down on stuff like that. A few similar mons would be cool, but I want the variety to come more from having vastly different Pokemon.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom