• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What features DIDN'T you get that you wanted?

Lack of rematches, except for E4, if I'm not mistaken? Gee, reminds of of my Yellow and Crystal version games...

Though really, if Isshu is the new Kanto, I'm not surprised at all. You all wanted those young whippersnappers to know how things were back in the old, old, OLD Red/Blue/Yellow days. Now they do! 8D Isn't it awesome?

Dear god, the fanbase gets more and more unpleaseable with each day. ._. It was okay when it was your day, but now, they're not allowed to do that again? Ohh my, how dare they!

Walking Pokemon was fun, indeed, but think for a moment. I know it's hard, but think. There are already moving sprites in battle. For 659 Pokemon. Them KBs will all add up, you know. Let's not even factor in gender differences and shinies for the moment. On the overworld, the camera angles change, right? That will be a lot of overworld work to do.

It's not lazy, it's preserving space. I don't know how big the ROM is, and how much a DS/DSi cart can hold, but really, that must be the only reason. Try to think like a game programmer/designer/whoever. They can't please everyone, you know.

You finally got your old school back, and you throw it into Game Freak's face. Go figure!

Instead of whining about what we didn't get, take a look at what we did get, one thing that everyone wanted ever since Platinum: Random Wi-Fi battles! For me, at least, that more than makes up for lack of rematches. You know as soon as I get Wi-Fi at home, I'll be battling nonstop over my White version.

I forgot what I was gonna say after this since I was browsing TV Tropes, but yeah, there we go. No point in telling the fandom not to complain, but hey, one can try. D:

Wait, when you say there's no VS Seeker device...

I mean, you ARE able to rebattle normal trainers, right? Regular field ones...? If not...WTF?

New Features:
* Death of HMS, all Pokemon capable of using Field moves can use them all at any time on the world map by selecting a "Field Move" option, regardless of what moves they know.

Oh. For a moment, I thought that was something we did get. I thought you were saying goodbye to HM's.

Yeah, sucks to be us.

Lack of rematches, except for E4, if I'm not mistaken? Gee, reminds of of my Yellow and Crystal version games...

Though really, if Isshu is the new Kanto, I'm not surprised at all. You all wanted those young whippersnappers to know how things were back in the old, old, OLD Red/Blue/Yellow days. Now they do! 8D Isn't it awesome?

Dear god, the fanbase gets more and more unpleaseable with each day. ._. It was okay when it was your day, but now, they're not allowed to do that again? Ohh my, how dare they!

Walking Pokemon was fun, indeed, but think for a moment. I know it's hard, but think. There are already moving sprites in battle. For 659 Pokemon. Them KBs will all add up, you know. Let's not even factor in gender differences and shinies for the moment. On the overworld, the camera angles change, right? That will be a lot of overworld work to do.

It's not lazy, it's preserving space. I don't know how big the ROM is, and how much a DS/DSi cart can hold, but really, that must be the only reason. Try to think like a game programmer/designer/whoever. They can't please everyone, you know.

You finally got your old school back, and you throw it into Game Freak's face. Go figure!

Instead of whining about what we didn't get, take a look at what we did get, one thing that everyone wanted ever since Platinum: Random Wi-Fi battles! For me, at least, that more than makes up for lack of rematches. You know as soon as I get Wi-Fi at home, I'll be battling nonstop over my White version.

I forgot what I was gonna say after this since I was browsing TV Tropes, but yeah, there we go. No point in telling the fandom not to complain, but hey, one can try. D:

Amen to that!

Ok, ARE you able to rebattle normal trainers in the field? ... I need to know.... -_-

Nostalgia is one thing, but should not be the main reason for a game's existence. Ultimately, it speaks even worse of GameFreak's laziness, who will resort to cheap stunts to cash in. They did it with HGSS.

Plus, if they're really going through with these things, they should go all the way, removing absolutely every new feature after 1st Gen, not just handpick what goes in and what doesn't. That would at the very least show that there's consistency behind their actions, not a chronic need to make 3rd games sell.

It's a 256 MB card, and I read somewhere it only uses up 75% of the data capacity. That would be 192 MB. They still had 64 MB left to use. Guess what? Diamond/Pearl fitted in a 64 MB card. Lack of space is not an excuse.

They can't please everyone, yes. That's no excuse to remove features that should be commonplace by now. In their defense, at least they didn't completely screw things up like with Diamond/Pearl. Of course, that would be just sad at this point...

EDIT: I just checked it out myself. Black/White are 202 MB in size. That leaves 54 MB of space. Still pretty big nonetheless.

I fail to see why we can't have both the new and the old.

Honestly? All I wanted is that they made Gym Leader rematches commonplace by now. If they can give us a Battle Tower spin-off (Which, oh yes, wasn't in the 1st Generation), why the hell can't we have Gym Leader rematches by now? Especially with how they managed the storyline, and made every Gym Leader have awfully small, pathetic Teams.

I don't mind as much, because the plot and characters seem to be fantastic, and I want to use all of these new Pokémon, but it boils down to this: Plot, character development, awesome graphics and old features coming back aren't mutually exclusive. It doesn't tells me GameFreak wants to keep things simple. It tells me that GameFreak are greedy money hoggers that withhold features that should be commonplace by now so their 3rd Version sells, instead of making it sell for its own merits, such as actually new features never seen before, or an even better storyline. The new plot and new gimmicks should be enough for the target audience (Even the periphery audience). The Move Tutors and new learnsets should be enough for the periphery audience. Why remove features from the paired installments for this reason?

I also wish that, if we couldn't get Gym Leader rematches, that they at least kept the mold every other Generation kept, with most, if not all Gym Leaders after the 4th having more than three Pokémon. This is just needless oversimplification. By the way, I never wanted a "return to the good old days", because I don't give a shit for nostalgia. I just wanted anything that would satisfy me the way HGSS failed to. I got it. Too bad it came with shortcomings that shouldn't even exist at this stage in the series. :/

- Apricorn Balls
- Permanent running shoes
- Pokémon following you
- VS Seeker
- Berry Plants
- Nice touch screen controls
- Secret bases
- Rematches
- Vs seeker/match call like app
- Poketch/Pokenav/PokeGear features
- Easier pc use
- Slot Machines
- Ball Capsules
- Time of day-exclusive pokémon

EDIT: I just checked it out myself. Black/White are 202 MB in size. That leaves 54 MB of space. Still pretty big nonetheless.
This is a minor point, but the total size of the compressed files is 195MB. I'm curious to know what made you arrive at the 202 number.

This is a minor point, but the total size of the compressed files is 195MB. I'm curious to know what made you arrive at the 202 number.
Don't think I'm allowed to talk about it here, ehehe. Let's just say I did some trimming.

Such process is never exact, though it gave me the expected number with Platinum and HGSS. I'd assume it's accurate with this too, but again, it's not a completely exact process. It's within range, but I'd assume the 195 MB is actually more exact.

The walking with Pokémon feature was a big bonus for me in HG/SS. I'm kinda disappointed they threw it away so soon.

I really wanted pokemon to walk behind you, and a pokeradar, along with the menu being touch screen again I wanted to be able to access the PC from the menu aswell, a girl can dream yeah? :p

i would of liked if they couldve made possible to store extra pokemon on sd cards so you could store thousands without the use on Pokemon Ranch

I like how people are saying that they wanted the walking Pokemon feature even though it was almost purely cosmetic and doesn't effect story or gameplay.

The VS. Seeker being missing is sort of a peeve since you can't grind for money, but with exceptions you don't need money that much.

I like how people are saying that they wanted the walking Pokemon feature even though it was almost purely cosmetic and doesn't effect story or gameplay.

That's not a justification for removing it. If you removed everything but story and gameplay, Pokemon would pretty much devolve into a bunch of random simulated battles punctuated by cutscenes.

I personally didn't care for the walking Pokemon bit, I'm just sad that they removed the automatic running option. I also liked the menu on the bottom screen and I'd like that a ton better than the C-Gear, which I don't even use.

That's not a justification for removing it. If you removed everything but story and gameplay, Pokemon would pretty much devolve into a bunch of random simulated battles punctuated by cutscenes.

And yet that reason doesn't explain why Game Freak should include it for every subsequent game. It was maybe nice for some and a cosmetic quirk but overall I don't see the charm or usefulness in the feature on the long run: it only added to the list of gimmicky features that the not-so-impressive remakes of GS were built upon, with the Pokéathlon, Pokéwalker (though I consider this a pretty good reason to own HGSS) and the intensive use of textures for the graphics being the others. The same goes for the Apricorn/Sport Balls, which I don't want to see again unless Game Freak decides to include custom opening animations for every one of them and not passing them of as mere Poké Balls in the code.

Touch screen controls were to be expected, though I don't really need them 'cause I'm more accustomed to Platinum's navigation system than HeartGold's, and at least the touch screen menu for the Pokémon storage system is miles ahead and more streamlined than that of HGSS.

The same goes for the Apricorn/Sport Balls, which I don't want to see again unless Game Freak decides to include custom opening animations for every one of them and not passing them of as mere Poké Balls in the code.

maybe nice for some and a cosmetic quirk but overall I don't see the charm or usefulness in the feature on the long run

I don't see why you'd want that when its purely cosmetic and doesn't affect story or game play. The Apricorn balls themselves were fairly good, though obviously some are redundant with the existence of the enwer balls and the over-specialization for some of them.

I didn't even realize there was this "big" flaw in the Apricorn balls.

Shiny Pokemon, cries, move animations, Pokemon animations, trainer animations, the close-up mug shot of N talking...all purely cosmetic and not needed for the full understanding of the story or the battling experience.

As for the walking feature, the "reworked" plot revolved around human-Pokemon relationship, and the protagonist being the pure hearted trainer Ho-Oh shows up for. The walking was justified in-plot, and can easily be justified in-plot for Black and White considering what the protagonist is fighting for.

Last edited:
I don't see why you'd want that when its purely cosmetic and doesn't affect story or game play. The Apricorn balls themselves were fairly good, though obviously some are redundant with the existence of the enwer balls and the over-specialization for some of them.

I didn't even realize there was this "big" flaw in the Apricorn balls.

Maybe I contradicted myself a little bit, but of course my point stands as any other balls were given custom animations since the Generation III games and I expected to see the same treatment for the Apricorn Balls, which didn't happen and instead Game Freak went for the easy way and make them Poké Ball rip-offs in the code, a little sad as they didn't have to exclude animations to make them compatible with DPt as the hidden hex data is the only one that matters in this case. Custom opening animations, even when they are just a cosmetic feature have been in every subsequent game after Ruby/Sapphire, including Colosseum, XD and Battle Revolution, so it's not something that's actually been given gimmicky treatment on Game Freak's part. And it's a flaw just for me because the Apricorn Balls are actually useful for people who don't care about the design or have a hard time catching Pokémon, considering they do affect directly the catch rate of the Pokémon and not the Ball rate being used in the Catch formula. This behavior makes a great difference between the usefulness of, for example, the Nest Ball and the Level Ball.

As for the walking feature, the "reworked" plot revolved around human-Pokemon relationship, and the protagonist being the pure hearted trainer Ho-Oh shows up for. The walking was justified in-plot, and can easily be justified in-plot for Black and White considering what the protagonist is fighting for.

A reason that I found to be added to the plot as a means to further explain the feature of walking Pokémon and give to the gimmick some flavor text and background info, not the other way around.

People like the Walking Pokemon because it further simulates a relationship between the player and a Pokemon that is heavily focused on the franchise but rarely expressed in the actual GameFreak game series. It allows players to feel like their Pokemon were more like companions as opposed to living weapons to be shot out of tiny storage compartments for the purpose of beating up gang members. The anime and manga and such emphasize interaction with Pokemon outside of battling, something that was not possible prior to the Walking Pokemon feature.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom