• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Foods Can't You Stand?

I absolutely cannot stand anything spicier than a jalapeno

I love popcorn but I can't handle too much of any that isn't microwave

Another thing I really disliked is tea with any kind of milk or cream in it. It's okay in coffee sometimes, but it just completely ruins tea for me :/

I hate all things that are sugary just for the sake of being sugary; like cake frosting and fudgy caramel sundaes. I do like sweets to some extent, but there's some line it crosses after a certain point - when there's no other flavor to it besides intense sugar - that just gets nauseating. I don't like sour candy or really syrupy sodas either.

It's a sensory thing, but I also cannot stand anything with a very distinct smell to it - ranch dressing, chicken, most cheeses (or anything cheese-flavored)... BLECH. It all just makes me want to run away and gag. I also don't particularly like when food has a lot of little bits in it, like something that's been diced up really small, or sprinkled into something else. Again, sensory thing.

As far as just not enjoying how it tastes/feels though, I'm not a fan of honey, limes, cilantro, pecans, green bell peppers, shredded coconut, butter on rice, lemon and floral tea, creamy soups, untoasted multigrain bread, artificial grape and strawberry flavors, licorice, açaí, walnuts, and zucchini.

I like way more foods than I dislike, so I hardly consider myself picky, but there's still a lot that gets on my nerves. :cry:

Courgettes/zucchinis. My family grows them every year and they use them in nearly everything they cook. I myself can't stand the texture of them as they just feel too slimy. Same with onions and I can't eat them unless they've been cooked until they're crispy, like in onion bhajis.

Lychees also gross me out as they look like a certain body part when the skin is removed. I'm also not a beef fan as it's too chewy.

Bitter foods.. .. I'm kind of a fiend for sugar, so when I get even a whiff of anything bitter I run for the hills! I can't even drink coffee without gagging unless it has a ton of sugar and creamer in it... I tried it once and I'm still so thankful i survived /shudders

I find a whole bunch of foods disgusting and they can't get past my gag reflex, but there are two foods that were forced on me in my early childhood that stick out the most:

Spinach and chicken pot pie.

Ewwwww.

Olives, lemons, mint, and eggnog.

Olives taste so atrocious, and apparently aren't even consumable in their natural form. So they have to be bathed in chemicals to be made edible, and I can really taste that disgusting flavor.

Even the slightest hint of lemon flavoring is gross to me. It's just so oppressively overpowering. My mind has been forever tainted by the powerful lemon scents of cleaning products, which make me associate it with chemicals rather than food. Honestly, it's the same thing with mint, which a few accidental swallowings of toothpaste have ruined for me.

Strong flavors in general tend to repel me. If there's too much of any flavor, even sweet [which I tend to like quite a bit, but eggnog grosses me out], it becomes gross. I overall prefer food emphasizing texture than excess taste.

Last edited:
Onions and tomatoes have always been my nemeses growing up. Also watermelons are vile imo. Yeah they taste like water but they have this other distinct taste and smell. Can’t bring myself to eat one lol.

American cheese. It triggers my gag reflex something awful and I get nauseous immediately. Really, any type of cheese that isn't mozzarella, provolone or Swiss, unless it's melted down into a fine sauce and perhaps blended with other cheeses. I discovered goat cheese to be pretty repulsive the other day, too.

Refried beans, lasagna, and minty chewing gum are other no-gos for me. And... try as I might, I just don't like chocolate chip cookies. :c

Cucumbers, they taste like grass (at least, that's the impression I get - I swear I've never sat down to munch on a blade of grass). Avocado is also revolting, though I can handle guacamole in small amounts when used as a dip for nachos or something similar.

Anything coconut-flavoured is a no-go, though I don't think I've actually tasted coconut proper... the same applies to watermelon. Mayonnaise is tricky; I can handle it sometimes, and other times it makes my stomach churn.

I also haven't eaten meat in almost a decade now, so it's safe to say that I don't like most meats or seafood, but I do get really bad cravings for tuna now and again. Beef, pork, lamb and the like, however? Bleugh. Never again. I also don't like veggie substitutes that try to accurately imitatate meat; I understand the appeal for meat lovers who are trying to eat less of it, but I chose to go veggie because I don't like meat... I don't want to eat something that tastes and feels just like it! When I did eat meat, I found bacon absolutely disgusting - I do not get the appeal at all.

On the other hand, spicy foods are my favourite, and mushrooms are one of my all-time favourite foods. :wynaut:

I'm not a fan of most kinds of fish, but tuna and cod are bearable. Apart from that, I can't stand pickles, olives, kiwi, pork, blueberries, and most kinds of curry. I'm not a big fan of spicy food at all, so you can rule off most Indian and Chinese take-away.
lol @ this being my response from 2013. Spicy food is absolutely my thing (the spicier the better), and I love pickles & kiwi - funny how your tastes change as you get older. I am still craving that tuna, though!

There are actually very few things on this Earth that I won’t eat, quite the contrary to how things were when I was younger, haha. With that said…

I cannot for the life of me understand the appeal of peanut butter, or why it’s so seemingly universally beloved as a staple of the food culture here in the States. The smell in particular never fails to make me recoil in disgust… ugh.

Meanwhile, cheese is another seemingly beloved thing here that I greatly dislike… or specifically the highly processed kind, and especially the kind that you find on your average American pizza. A quality pizza place can make such cheese at least tolerable, but on the whole, I actually prefer pizza without cheese (“sacrilege!” many of you are no doubt saying right now). It’s not even the best part of the pizza; the sauce, dough, meats, and spices are. Without those, it’s just a bunch of cheese on bread; hardly appealing even before you consider just how much cheese they can put on there sometimes (I’ve pulled enough out of some slices that could be entire meals on their own; disgusting!).

Also: overly sweet candies are something that I’ll never understand the appeal of either; just the thought of eating them makes me gag. I like sugary sweetness in moderation — Skittles were a childhood favorite of mine, for instance — but if given the choice, I’d prefer something like chocolate for those sugary indulgence times.

There are actually very few things on this Earth that I won’t eat, quite the contrary to how things were when I was younger, haha. With that said…

I cannot for the life of me understand the appeal of peanut butter, or why it’s so seemingly universally beloved as a staple of the food culture here in the States. The smell in particular never fails to make me recoil in disgust… ugh.

Meanwhile, cheese is another seemingly beloved thing here that I greatly dislike… or specifically the highly processed kind, and especially the kind that you find on your average American pizza. A quality pizza place can make such cheese at least tolerable, but on the whole, I actually prefer pizza without cheese (“sacrilege!” many of you are no doubt saying right now). It’s not even the best part of the pizza; the sauce, dough, meats, and spices are. Without those, it’s just a bunch of cheese on bread; hardly appealing even before you consider just how much cheese they can put on there sometimes (I’ve pulled enough out of some slices that could be entire meals on their own; disgusting!).

Also: overly sweet candies are something that I’ll never understand the appeal of either; just the thought of eating them makes me gag. I like sugary sweetness in moderation — Skittles were a childhood favorite of mine, for instance — but if given the choice, I’d prefer something like chocolate for those sugary indulgence times.
Come to France or Italy. We'll bake you the best pizzas you could taste !

As for me, vinegar is a big one, though it's not as bad as it used to be. A bit of story time for context : one morning, I grabbed my cereals from the drawer as I usually did as a child for breakfast, and after pouring them and adding milk, the first spoonful was H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E ! My mom thought the cereals had expired but after checking the drawer, she found out a bottle of vinegar had spilled right inside the bag of cereals, making that one morning a memorable one, and not in a good way. Nowadays, I try to avoid the stuff as much as I can, but when presented with salad with some vinegar on it, I brace myself just to avoid displeasing whoever made the dish.

Another one is salmon. I get that a lot of people like it, but I don't. And that's even after I helped a friend prepare a dish with such ingredients. But for this one, it's more about me not liking seafood in general rather than a particular distaste of salmon.

Just some kinds of vegetables; broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, artichokes, raw garlic come to mind. And boiled eggs a bit, unlike every other way of cooking eggs I know of.
Most of these still stand, but I would like to add tofu to this, the texture is just... weird.

I just thought of one - popcorn. I absolutely hate the texture plus how easily it gets stuck in your teeth. It doesn't really taste like anything either. It's what I'd imagine eating Styrofoam is like...

Back
Top Bottom