• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What games and what order to play from..

NeilStokes89

Reaction score
As stated in the title, what would your suggestions be, obviously it would be pointless to play EVERY version..
I'm a old guy reliving my Pokemon days lol.. i stopped player around FireRed/LeafGreen.
I'm currently playing Yellow (back to the start :) ) but id like to buy a game relevant from each generation ( or multiple from each generation if theres a valid reason to)

I have got yellow/heartgold/ultra sun. what would the suggestions be that i buy to play in order, Thanks in advance, any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!

Every Pokémon fan needs to play Emerald (Gen III), Platinum (Gen IV), HGSS (Gen IV) and BW2 (Gen V). Those are the best games by far.

If you want something more, I suggest you also play FRLG, BW1, XY and USUM. Crystal is also very good, but there are not many reasons to play it, if you have HGSS. LGPE (Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee) is a really heartwarming remake of RGB/Yellow/FRLG. I would suggest you to play it if a) you're not tired of Kanto despite playing both Yellow and FRLG, b) If you like the capturing mechanics of Pokémon Go more than the main game way of catching them, and c) if you already own a Nintendo Switch, or plan on buying it for SwSh.

I think the best order for playing them all is (I bolded the obligatory games):

1. FRLG
  2. Emerald
  3. HGSS
  4. Platnum
  5. BW1
  6. BW2
  7. XY
  8. USUM
  9. LGPE

Last edited:
If you're looking to play one game from each generation, then I'd recommend the following:
Yellow only because you're already playing it.
Crystal is the definitive version of the Gen II games
Emerald combines the stories of Ruby and Sapphire
Platinum combines the stories of Diamond and Pearl

Aside from those four, you can pretty much play any of the paired versions depending on your preference.
Fire Red or Leaf Green. They may be remakes of RB but they expand the story with the Sevii Islands arc
Heart Gold or Soul Silver. Remakes of GS with Crystal's additions plus an expanded story.
Black or White.
Black2 or White2. These are sequels to BW's story so pick your corresponding version (if you played White continue with White2 for example)
X or Y.
Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire. Remakes of RS but incorporate aspects of Emerald's story and greatly expand on the plot.

And then it gets tricky when you come to Gen VII. All four games are basically the same story. The USUM expands on SM but some of its changes require having played SM to understand and appreciate. It's a matter of preference really.

The Let's Go games are entirely skipable unless you're feeling nostalgic.

Every Pokémon fan needs to play Emerald (Gen III), Platinum (Gen IV), HGSS (Gen IV) and BW2 (Gen V). Those are the best games by far.

If you want something more, I suggest you also play FRLG, BW1, XY and USUM. Crystal is also very good, but there are not many reasons to play it, if you have HGSS. LGPE (Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee) is a really heartwarming remake of RGB/Yellow/FRLG. I would suggest you to play it if a) you're not tired of Kanto despite playing both Yellow and FRLG, b) If you like the capturing mechanics of Pokémon Go more than the main game way of catching them, and c) if you already own a Nintendo Switch, or plan on buying it for SwSh.

I think the best order for playing them all is (I bolded the obligatory games):

1. FRLG
  2. Emerald
  3. HGSS
  4. Platnum
  5. BW1
  6. BW2
  7. XY
  8. USUM
  9. LGPE
So if i were to play the titles in bold, there would be nothing I'm missing out on from any other games from my understanding?
I have no problem playing the same particular story line if i were to end up missing something if i didn't (besides game exclusive pokemon) i dont mind buying every game and playing every game if i had to i just know their counter parts are preference due to in game exclusives so im just trying to get around that :)
I have a old GBA and a 2DS XL so I'd like to play all playable games that are relevant before i buy a Switch to go on to newer games. I dont feel the need to rush to newer games but i feel a urge to go back to the start and make it all the way to the newest games.

But thanks for your reply its helped a lot :)

If you're looking to play one game from each generation, then I'd recommend the following:
Yellow only because you're already playing it.
Crystal is the definitive version of the Gen II games
Emerald combines the stories of Ruby and Sapphire
Platinum combines the stories of Diamond and Pearl

Aside from those four, you can pretty much play any of the paired versions depending on your preference.
Fire Red or Leaf Green. They may be remakes of RB but they expand the story with the Sevii Islands arc
Heart Gold or Soul Silver. Remakes of GS with Crystal's additions plus an expanded story.
Black or White.
Black2 or White2. These are sequels to BW's story so pick your corresponding version (if you played White continue with White2 for example)
X or Y.
Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire. Remakes of RS but incorporate aspects of Emerald's story and greatly expand on the plot.

And then it gets tricky when you come to Gen VII. All four games are basically the same story. The USUM expands on SM but some of its changes require having played SM to understand and appreciate. It's a matter of preference really.

The Let's Go games are entirely skipable unless you're feeling nostalgic.

Thanks for the advice, from both replies i'm getting the same 4 suggestions so ive discovered what to play, thanks!

So if i were to play the titles in bold, there would be nothing I'm missing out on from any other games from my understanding?
You would still be missing some content, of course. Here are some examples of content that you won't find in the bolded 4 games:

- FRLG has the Sevii Islands, which is a small island region that can only be found in FRLG. So I would suggest you play that game as well.

- BW1 has a unique story, that is considered the best one by many fans. BW2 is its sequel so playing BW1 first could give you more context.

- XY is the only game set in the Kalos region, which is a pretty cool region. It obviously has different characters, a different plot, different Pokémon, and different features.

In conclusion, the 4 games I bolded, don't offer all the content, obviously. They just offer the most content by far.

Edit: I may need to add the Hoenn remakes, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, since they have a few new Hoenn locations that are not found in Emerald. But it's nothing major.

Last edited:
You would still be missing some content, of course. Here are some examples of content that you won't find in the bolded 4 games:

- FRLG has the Sevii Islands, which is a small island region that cannot be found in FRLG. So I would suggest you play that game as well.

- BW1 has a unique story, that is considered the best one by many fans. BW2 is its sequel so playing BW1 first could give you more context.
So if i was to play your whole list I'd be caught up on everything needed? In the numbered order? :)
Its been so long as you can imagine (FR being my last game played) Im trying to get my head around what once wasn't such a huge pokemon universe lol.

So if i was to play your whole list I'd be caught up on everything needed? In the numbered order? :)
Its been so long as you can imagine (FR being my last game played) Im trying to get my head around what once wasn't such a huge pokemon universe lol.
Every Pokémon game has something unique that you can't find anywhere else. But in general, I think the games I listed cover almost everything you would need.

Last edited:

Also, play BW2's Plasma Frigate postgame before USUM could give you more context, since USUM has some references to BW2 as well.

I actually beat BW2's Plasma Frigate post game before I jumped to USUM.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom