• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What games did you grow up with (aside Pokemon)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTA fan

Sir RTA fan of Wikia
Reaction score
this is for games that you played through childhood, not counting Pokemon.
for example, i grew up playing with the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series, Crash Bandicoot and Sonic Heroes.

I grew up playing the Kirby series, Crash Bandicoot Warped, Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories, "lower quality" PS1 games, Super Godzilla, The Lion King (SNES), Jurassic Park (SNES), Timon and Pumbaa's Jungle Games, Pac-Man, Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite!, and SpongeBob SquarePants - Legend of the Lost Spatula.

I also played SMB, SMB 3, Kirby's Adventure, Gauntlet, Ice Hockey, World Class Track Meet, and Duck Hunt a lot with my cousins when I was younger. They had the Power Pad to play World Class Track Meet and I had so much fun playing with them.

This isn't exactly related to the thread, but thinking back makes me remember when I went to ToysRus with my family and they were having a clearance sale on all SNES games. I don't exactly remember what else there was, but I was so indecisive and I ended up getting frickin Super Black Bass. -_- To this day, I still regret it. I could have gotten EarthBound or Chrono Trigger if I knew what it was at the time!

Last edited:
Spyro - Ones on the GBA, DS and Wii as they're fabulous. I never had a Playstation until a year ago.
Sonic - any game I could get on the computer and DS.

Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, Monster Rancher, Hamtaro are the few games I remember growing up with. Sadly they don't make Monster Rancher or Hamtaro games anymore, but I still play Harvest Moon/Rune Factory to this day.

Manic Miner/Jet Set Willy - classic early platformers & incredibly difficult
Elite - still one of the greatest games ever made & well worth playing *cough* emulator *cough*
Sim City, Theme Park, Rollercoaster Tycoon
Arcade games like Bubble Bobble, Star Wars, Tempest & Battlezone

Sonic the Hedgehog and Kirby. Before I got a GBA, I mostly played movie-based point-and-click games on a computer. I also grew up watching my dad play first-person shooters, if that counts at all.

Crazy Taxi games, Sonic Adventure games, Ready 2 Rumble games, Super Mario Bros 3 (the GBA port tho), A Link To The Past.

There's probably more, but i'm forgetting them at the moment.

Well, appart from some ancient PC games, pretty much the only non-Pokémon games I had as a child were on the Playstation 1&2. As for specifics...

Most of my memories about the PS1 involved racing games or platformers. Some examples include the three Spyro games (the latter two I've played so much I can 117% complete in under 12 hours because bragging rights), the second two Crash games and... Actually, that's about as much as I can remember on the platformer side of things. Huh. Anyway, as for racing games, well... Crash Team Racing (pretty much my favourite racing game of all time), a couple Grand Turismo games, LEGO Racers, the obscure Hydro Thunder and... That's about as much as I can remember on the racing front. Oh, and Air Combat.

As for the PS2... The Ratchet games (particularly Gladiator), the Legend of Spyro games, Crash Nitro Kart/Tag Team Racing, Sonic Unleashed, Dragon Quest: Journey of the Cursed King and Dark Cloud are all games I'm particularly fond of.

Many SNES and N64 games, mainly platforming games. I wasn't a fan of RPGs until my mid-teens.

We could never afford much in the way of games or consoles when I was growing up. We had a SNES with Super Mario All Stars, and since I always had a Game Boy of some kind I had a fair few non-Pokémon games for that ... Mario Kart and Golden Sun, off the top of my head. Though I had my Advance when I was a teenager, so whether that's growing up with a game is up to you

This is probably one of the reasons that I'm a very casual gamer now

Pokemon Blue, Super Mario Bros, Parappa the Rapper, Harvest Moon: Back to Nature, Street Fighter to name a few off the top of my head.

Super Mario Bros. 3 (GBA port),Yoshi's Island (GBA port),Super Mario Sunshine,Sonic Advance series,Golden Sun and GS:TLA,Megaman Zero series and Fire Emblem 7 and 8.

Yes,I grew up in the GBA/GCN era.

Mega Man X series, Sonic the Hedgehog series, Super Mario Bros series... a lot of the classics really. I think I had a pretty good start on gaming tbh.
Mainly SNES and N64 titles of course, with a dash of Gameboy/GBA and Gamecube.

Pokémon pretty much dominated my childhood, but I do remember enjoying the early Super Mario Bros. games (1, 2, and 3), Tetris, the Super Smash Bros. series, the Mario Kart series, Sonic Adventure, and Luigi's Mansion. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon get honorable mentions.

EDIT: I forgot about Killer Instinct!!! Omg why did I own this game when I was younger, it was so violent! But so goood~ <3

Aside from Pokemon I didn't game a whole lot when I was little. The two games I did play on our N64 were War Gods and Banjo and Kazooy.

I lived through the Crash Bandicoot (PS1 era). Then, when I was a teenager, it was all about the surge of mmorpgs.

However, if you also count educational games, the Jumpstart Grade (1~6) series, amongst many others, are also games that I grow up with. In fact, some of those questions still stump me until today!

Super Mario Bros (NES)

Super Mario and Pokemon have been the two main games I always loved and grew up with - there was a time when Grand Theft Auto, Resident Evil, and Silent Hill where high favorites of mine (along the way those games started getting to repetitive and boring for me).

Grand Theft Auto Vice City and San Andreas
Final Fantasy Tactics
Megaman X4 and 5
Perfect Dark
Goldeneye
Soul Reaver
Jackie Chan Stuntmaster
Spider-man
Sonic Adventure 1 and 2
Power Stone 2

Pokemon (specifically Gold) was actually the only non-PC game I grew up with.

My first (and only for a long time) video games were Sierra adventure games- King's Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, etc, as well as Age of Empires 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom