• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What gaps do you think needs to be filled in?

Morningstar

Memeber
Reaction score
Alright over the franchise, there had been several aspects of the game that gives it its depth. Chief among them, Moves, abilities, items and type combos. Therefore I want to ask which gaps are there to fill in, and if so how.

I'll start with three simple things:

1. I noticed there was a divide between Special Moves and Physical moves. Specifically whereas Special attackers have a move they cna rely on on-type for most if not all cases, moves that comfortable sit on 90 BP and 100 accuracy, no strings attached. However Phsycial moves don't have this luxery, whereas Ground got lucky with the 100/100 spread move Earthquake, phys 90/100 moves are not that widespread among the types, and those that do have them have drawbacks comapred to their special counterparts, such as Wild Charge's recoil. This means that psyhcial attackers of those types have a larger hurdle compared to their specially-orinted counterparts
  2. With regards to Terrains and Weather, a few types remain underrepresented by the synergistic mechanic. Bug, Dark, Ghost and Poison don't have either despite acid rain being a thing in the latter case. Steel and Rock have a slight benefit in sandstrom, but lack a terrain that could synergize with it in a way Thunder+Rain or Grassy+Sun do. Flying techcially has one, but it serves as anti-weather.
  3. On the item side of things, there exist a set of miscellaneous items geared toward buffing the moves of a specific type. Fairy, the latest type, has yet to receive such an item. While the plates fill a similar function, I don't think they are guarenteed to appear in all games due to being heavily tied to Arceus, so having a serperate fairy boosting item would serve to ensure they aren't left out in the code in such scenarios (esp since those items are far from meta in most circumstances)
I again, make this thread to see which gaps in certain trends need filling, which moves or abilities do you think needs more counterparts for different types. Which items in a set do you think is absent so far.

• The biggest omission is physical Fairy attacks. There are only two of them obtained normally: Play Rough and Spirit Break (even Draining Kiss is a Special attack, despite sounding like a Physical attack). Of the two only the former is common while the latter is almost exclusive. It would be nice if there is an alternative Fairy physical attack that has something Play Rough doesn't, while at the same time common. So maybe it could be weaker than Play Rough but has a chance to attract.
  • I feel that terrain do not have a lot of support abilities. There are certainly moves that make use of them like Misty Explosion and Grassy Surge, but of the abilities, only Grass Pelt and Surge Surfer exist. More to the point, it would be good if these abilities are found on alternative types. So maybe Grass Pelt on a Normal- or Rock-type, or Surge Surfer on a Steel-type.
  • Of the weather, Rain and Sand have abilities found on more diverse types of Pokemon. For example, on Sand, Sand Rush is found for not only certain Rock- and Ground-types, but it's also on a Normal-type (Stoutland) and a Ghost-type (Houndstone). Rain's Swift Swim is mainly on Water-types, but at least they are on those who aren't weak to common Water weaknesses (e.g. Seismitoad is immune to Electric, Qwilfish is not weak to Grass). Meanwhile, Hail/Snow abilities are exclusive to Ice-types with the rare odd unnoticed exception (e.g. Seel with Ice Body, who evolves into an Ice-type anyway), and Sun has mismatched abilities where it's Grass-types that mainly get them even though Sun inherently benefits Fire-types more. It's good that there are Grass-types that benefit from Sun a lot, but it's not helped by how it doesn't have the same inherent synergy as Rain (where Water-types can boost their STAB even further)
  • Now this is probably a bias that I have, but I feel that dual-types are inherently superior to single-types. Not completely superior, but overall. What I mean is how they have dual STAB, added resistances and mitigated weaknesses, and movepool privileges for both types, something single types lack, and I feel it more than makes up for their drawbacks like double-weaknesses or neutralised resistances. I feel that, like Eviolite benefits non-fully evolved Pokemon, something should be done to give single-types a bit of an advantage. I am thinking for example, an item that confers a substantial power boost for that one type as long as the user is single-type (maybe like 33% stronger), and doesn't work through Tera (so no dual-types being Terastralised will be able to benefit from it).

Thank you for reading.

A rock type physical 80-90 BP move with 100% accuracy would be nice. Just a solid, generic rock move that is reliable. Doesn't even need to have a secondary effect.

A Steel physical biting move is something I've long wanted, entirely because it could be taught by a wide range of non-Steel types.

A +1 priority for every type would be nice, if unnecessary.

I'm in an evil mood today and will suggest recoil moves for every type. Now every shiny will get itself KO'd in the wake of False Swipe >:D

A pre-evolution for Skarmory, please. Mantine got one in the name of Mantyke, and even as early as Pokémon Silver, the Pokédex stated its chicks's wings grow hard from scratches by thorns.

A return to the Sevii Islands from way back in FRLG would be nice as well. I don't know how a new plot could tie in to these places, though.

Everyone may disagree but I think a game where you can play for different 'Teams' would be interesting. Basically, factions would make Pokemon world more alive. Not necessarily make them evil, just different though it would be fun if some were less moral than others (nothing extreme though). I think part of why I like Conquest so much is because you play for different clans, all of them imperfect but also great in their own way. Since Pokemon is all about variety already, this lends itself nicely to such continuation. Another innocent game with factions, all imperfect but all great is Advance Wars. I can easily imagine Advance Wars but with Pokemon. In fact, franchises even do have similarities. You could make 'Nations' based on Pokemon type or group of types and here we go...

I feel like it is hard to find Pokémon to attack Super Effective hits on fairy types. Steel is mostly defensive and poison is mostly just nothing. There should probably be a more abundant variety of steel and poison types out there with more powerful movrs

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom