• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh What Gen 8 Pokemon Won the Biggest Piece of your Heart?

My favourite Gen IIX Pokémon would have to be Duraludon. Although I'd wish we'd have a Dragon/Steel type Pokémon that looked a little more Draconic and a little less like a lighter, I'm still fine with the design overall, and I'm happy we finally have a non legendary Dragon/Steel type Pokémon. After the huge disappointment Turtanator was to me, Duraludon almost makes up for it.

I know that we're only two gen's into its introduction, but I have to say that the regional variants from gen 8 really solidified my love for it as a concept. It seems like they really went all out with their designs, and with the addition of regional evolutions, showed that they wee really willing to,push the concept to its fullest.

I can't really name an overall favorite, but I can say that Galarian Meowth, Purserker, Galarian Ponyta and Rapidash, amd the Galarian birds stole my heart. I was going to name off a few more that I loved, but I realized that I was going to name practicality all of them lol. I really loved all of them!

Boltund is probably one of SwSh's best designs, which is funny because it evolves from one of SwSh's worst designs.

Boltund is probably one of SwSh's best designs
Hard disagree here. It coloration makes it look as though it’s wearing a body suit rather than just patterned fur. Not to say that I dislike it, but its design definitely needs some work in my opinion.

Last edited:
Boltund is probably one of SwSh's best designs, which is funny because it evolves from one of SwSh's worst designs.
Yamper is adorable wdym!?

Hard disagree here. It coloration makes it look as though it’s wearing a body suit rather than just patterned fur. Not to say that I dislike it, but its design definitely needs some work in my opinion.
I think that's the point tho.

From what I understand Boltund's design is based off of Pulseman. A videogame Character who Gamefreak created years ago

I think that's the point tho.

From what I understand Boltund's design is based off of Pulseman. A videogame Character who Gamefreak created years ago
I’ll be honest, I don’t really see the resemblance, and, regardless, just because that’s their intention doesn’t change the fact that I would’ve preferred a more natural design.

Edit: That being said, I do still like electric-doggo—it’s somewhere in my top ten Galar Pokémon—even if it does appear to be wearing a body suit.

Last edited:
I’ll be honest, I don’t really see the resemblance, and, regardless, just because that’s their intention doesn’t change the fact that I would’ve preferred a more natural design.

Edit: That being said, I do still like electric-doggo—it’s somewhere in my top ten Galar Pokémon—even if it does appear to be wearing a body suit.

I thought Ledian and Rotom were the ones based on Pulseman?
Ah. Sorry I think I screwed up there. Boltund's Japanese NAME is based on Pulseman (Pulsewan)

So my mind immediately went to thinking it's design was taking inspo from Pulseman too. (It could still be tho)

Dragapult, Corviknight and Appletun are the Galar mons I ended up loving best. They all have great designs, and the latter two I ended up using in my team in Shield (Dreepy was unfortunately way too rare, and I'm not exactly a patient person, so I had to pass).

I like that Corviknight is a simple design that still manages to communicate "armored knight" extremely well. It's also extremely reliable in battle: I was lucky to have caught a Rookidee that came with Roost, and that move proved vital for way too many matches to count, especially with my self-imposed rule of never using healing items during a battle.

Appletun is just adorable. How could anyone not fall in love with such an endearingly dorky face?

Dragapult meanwhile is an incredibly creative concept: it's a diplocaulus, which is an extinct animal, so of course they made it a Ghost-type. I like that. Not every prehistoric animal has to be a fossil, and I'm actually surprised it took this long for them to take advantage of the Ghost-type to represent extinct animals (Decidueye might count as the true first example if one interprets it as being based on the stilt owl, though). Dragapult also manages to do a pretty good job of incorporating an inorganic design into an organic body by making the diplocaulus's already thin and boomeranglike head into a fighter jet... that uses baby Dreepy as its ammo. That should be horrifying by all means, but the fact that the Dreepy actually like being used as bullets makes it hilarious. 10/10, best pseudo-legendary we've had so far don't @ me.

Regarding the whole Boltund discussion, I personally do love that doggo even if it didn't quite grab me the same way the aforementioned three did, but that's admittedly more because I like dogs than anything to do with Boltund as a design... well, that, and because Boltund is another Pokemon I used on my Shield team, and she wound up being the MVP throughout, even defeating Leon's Gigantamax Charizard without needing to Dynamax herself, as I had already used Dynamax on my Inteleon to power up his Icy Wind because it was the only way I could reliably take out Leon's Haxorus, who would have swept me otherwise. And in case anyone's wondering why I didn't teach my Inteleon Ice Beam or just switch in Corviknight... well, in the former case I was simply unable to get that TR during the story and in the latter case Corvinknight had already been KO'd before Haxorus was sent out. And like I said, I don't like to use healing items because it just makes battles cheap, so no revives :p

Another thing that I think is worth mentioning in Boltund's favor is that it's one of the few non-Legendary purely physically-oriented Electric-type that is actually effective thanks to Strong Jaw giving Thunder Fang roughly the same power as Thunderbolt, meaning Boltund actually has access to a physical Electric attack that does decent damage without some ridiculous drawback like recoil. Yes, I'm very salty that Wild Charge still remains the only widely-available attack option for any Electric-type wishing to run a physical moveset. Boltund is just about the only one that can actually do that viably.

Last edited:
I haven't played Sword and Shield and didn't actively seek out information about them, so I had no idea that Indeedee existed until CandyEvie mentioned them in a video. They have so much personality (I can picture them as supporting characters in a PMD game), I'm glad that Game Freak hasn't completely abandoned gender differences, and the lore that they choose to be servants because positive emotions give them energy, therefore being mutually beneficial, helps avoid the dodgy ethics inherent in other modern depictions of house fey. I'm not the biggest fan of their designs, though; they're cute, but they don't really look like anything.

I've been using Galarian Slowbro a lot on Showdown. The concept of a living arm cannon is awesome, it's also full of personality (look at its expression!), and I love how Shell Side Arm complements its mixed-attacking stats.

I like Boltund. It's simple but it works. The colours look nice together, and it builds off of Yamper's already solid concept pretty well. I really like the detail in its animation where its tail tenses up into a lightning bolt shape before attacking - a nice implementation of the idea of electricity making hair stand on end.

1573654618598.png

Please note: The thread is from 7 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom