• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Gen VI features do you expect to be kept in Gen VII?

It's not a "feature," per se, but I liked how Kalos's routes had proper names. I always tend to use those names when speaking and I like how it gives them a little more identity. I hope that the next region retains this convention.

It's not a "feature," per se, but I liked how Kalos's routes had proper names. I always tend to use those names when speaking and I like how it gives them a little more identity. I hope that the next region retains this convention.
Yeah, I liked that too! It makes sense that routes and other locations would have local, colloquial names.

I also enjoyed that, some of them had their own music too, which was awesome, since the music in XY is possibly the best in the entire game franchise IMO.

I definitely hope they keep Amie and Super Training, since they actually had huge benefits in battle and weren't just optional features. Plus how else are we going to evolve our Eevee to Sylveon, they can't just make it a trade-only Eeveelution like they made Milotic into a trade-only evolution in Gen 5.

I really do wish they keep customization in, especially since it was my favorite feature in X/Y next to Amie, because it allowed the player to look like they're actually in the game rather than simply being stuck to a permanent default look the whole time and make it seem like you're not you but someone else. In a game that's in 3D in which it's now easier to customize the player character, customization in games like this is a lot more necessary because it shows that the games are updating with the times, especially since you could choose your character's skin tone at the start of X/Y.

I totally forgot about O-Powers! I want O-Powers back again, it's pretty cool how you can gift them to other people as well!

I dunno whether or not I "expect" it, but I certainly HOPE that the DexNav or an updated equivalent is featured. I would probably consider DexNav to be one of the best additions to the series in years, since it made catching Pokémon fun again. Instead of Pokémon only varying by level, gender, and hidden qualities like IVs, it made it so that you were actually REWARDED for continuing to search for Pokémon on routes even after you'd first seen/caught them. And by making things like IVs, abilities, and moves visible, it made catching Pokémon less luck-of-the-draw and more of a deliberate process.

I also think it'd be a shame to lose Pokémon Amie, though it could potentially be improved/updated. I think the biggest issue with that feature was how segregated it felt from the rest of the game—you had to actively select the feature, and there was little reward for it after having maxed out your Pokémon's affection. It'd be awesome if they could do something like combining it with the "walking Pokémon" feature from HGSS. Imagine turning around to see what your Pokémon's up to and instead of just getting a message, getting to see it for yourself in 3D!

Finally, I would like to see customization come back. It may not have been a perfect feature but it did significantly improve immersion. Again, it could even be significantly improved—imagine if various Trainers throughout the game would give you articles of clothing from their trainer class so that you could have a much greater selection of outfits and could even mix and match clothing from various trainer classes!

I dunno whether or not I "expect" it, but I certainly HOPE that the DexNav or an updated equivalent is featured. I would probably consider DexNav to be one of the best additions to the series in years, since it made catching Pokémon fun again. Instead of Pokémon only varying by level, gender, and hidden qualities like IVs, it made it so that you were actually REWARDED for continuing to search for Pokémon on routes even after you'd first seen/caught them. And by making things like IVs, abilities, and moves visible, it made catching Pokémon less luck-of-the-draw and more of a deliberate process.

I also think it'd be a shame to lose Pokémon Amie, though it could potentially be improved/updated. I think the biggest issue with that feature was how segregated it felt from the rest of the game—you had to actively select the feature, and there was little reward for it after having maxed out your Pokémon's affection. It'd be awesome if they could do something like combining it with the "walking Pokémon" feature from HGSS. Imagine turning around to see what your Pokémon's up to and instead of just getting a message, getting to see it for yourself in 3D!

Finally, I would like to see customization come back. It may not have been a perfect feature but it did significantly improve immersion. Again, it could even be significantly improved—imagine if various Trainers throughout the game would give you articles of clothing from their trainer class so that you could have a much greater selection of outfits and could even mix and match clothing from various trainer classes!

I agree with all of these, especially the last one because you could actually mix and match the trainer class outfits to create a custom costume, heck, you could maybe even dress as the villain team grunts, but that will likely never happen. I DEFINITELY want them to combine Amie with the walking Pokemon feature, as it would definitely expand on the concept, and this would especially be true if they make Gen 4 remakes and Amity Park returns in them, but that's far off.

I do love the concept of being able to to obtain items with certain moves via a tree in the background or a mound of sand, etc. Those environmental elements made battles with wild Pokemon much more fun and rewarding.

Out of everything I think Amie and Super training have the best chance of staying. I pray to God that CC stays and never goes away again

Will be removed:
  • Dex Nav (+Overworld Pokemon, Contests, Bases, Diving (+Underwater battles) are all specific to RSE/ORAS. They won't be coming back. I suspect the same goes for soaring.
  • Customisation has been mentioned as a Kalos thing. I suspect the same goes for PR videos and Pokemon Riding, which are tied to particular locations.
  • Likewise, the fact there wasn't a single sky battle in ORAS suggests it is also specific to Kalos. That could go either way though.
  • Rollerskates were a restricted form of the completely gridless movement of ORAS. I don't think they'll be around.
  • Super Training and Amie strike me as 'big features' that only last a generation. A bit like contests or following Pokemon or Dream World. That Amie is a French word would seem to corroborate this. They would need to find an alternative methods o train EVs and evolve Sylveon however.
Won't be removed:
  • Horde Battles were a nice addition to the battling system and made sense. Trainer Hordes were the natural extension of this. I can't see them removing either, since they're tied into the game mechanics rather than the region.
Could go either way:
  • Natural objects, variable surfing Pokemon, and flying directly to routes are all very minor features. They won't impact the game if they're removed, but they're so little effort, why not keep them? I could see this going either way.

I just remembered the Camera from XY. I don't know, maybe you guys liked it, but I never used it myself. I could do without it, but what do you guys think?

I could do without it, but what do you guys think?
I dunno, taking a selfie next to a doomsday weapon sounds pretty kickass to me.
(And I seriously regret never sending an image of that moment in my copy of X up onto Game Sync! I'll rectify that mistake when I get to that point in Y...)

I can definitely see some variant of the PokéNav Plus functionality returning in Sun/Moon, although it may not necessarily be called that and be an integrated feature of whatever the next accessory might be. The PSS-related features will no doubt return as well, but I just hope the menus are cleaned up a bit. They were a bit erm...messy in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire. I think Soaring definitely needs to return as well; perhaps replacing "Fly" outright (but offer fast-travel to locations in case people don't want to have to navigate themselves? In fact, could we expand that to Surf as well?).

Although Game Freak claimed that their intention was to make character customisation a Kalos-only thing, hopefully the complaints about its absence in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire has led them to re-incorporating it into the new games; preferably with far more options (such as more male clothes and legacy outfits of past PCs and other notable characters; perhaps the latter as special anniversary downloads or DLC?).

Will be removed:
  • Dex Nav (+Overworld Pokemon, Contests, Bases, Diving (+Underwater battles) are all specific to RSE/ORAS. They won't be coming back. I suspect the same goes for soaring.
  • Customisation has been mentioned as a Kalos thing. I suspect the same goes for PR videos and Pokemon Riding, which are tied to particular locations.
  • Likewise, the fact there wasn't a single sky battle in ORAS suggests it is also specific to Kalos. That could go either way though.
  • Rollerskates were a restricted form of the completely gridless movement of ORAS. I don't think they'll be around.
  • Super Training and Amie strike me as 'big features' that only last a generation. A bit like contests or following Pokemon or Dream World. That Amie is a French word would seem to corroborate this. They would need to find an alternative methods o train EVs and evolve Sylveon however.
Won't be removed:
  • Horde Battles were a nice addition to the battling system and made sense. Trainer Hordes were the natural extension of this. I can't see them removing either, since they're tied into the game mechanics rather than the region.
Could go either way:
  • Natural objects, variable surfing Pokemon, and flying directly to routes are all very minor features. They won't impact the game if they're removed, but they're so little effort, why not keep them? I could see this going either way.
Just because we won't see some of those Gen VI features in the exact same context doesn't mean they won't appear in any capacity. After all, several of the PokéGear functions (like the phone and map) were reworked and reimagined for later devices like the PokéNav, Pokétch, and C-Gear, so it's not implausible that the very useful features of the DexNav might be reintegrated into the next generation's device in some form.

Similarly, affection will probably have to return as a game mechanic in some form, since it's part of Sylveon's evolution, so even if Pokémon Amie doesn't return under that name there will presumably be some other way to build affection in the new games (which could similarly involve you interacting one-on-one with your Pokémon).

Diving isn't even specific to Hoenn, because it was brought back in a limited capacity for Unova—it's not implausible at all that it might return for the new games, especially if the new region is based on Hawaii as speculated. Secret bases and Contests were similarly in both Hoenn and Sinnoh, so there's no ruling out that they might appear in some form in another region.

In general, just because something was exclusive to one region or another at one point doesn't mean it couldn't return to future games in any capacity. Pokémon games are developed iteratively, and if a feature is considered a big enough improvement I doubt Game Freak would be reluctant to bring it back or build upon it in future generations just because it was once considered exclusive to one region or generation.

. Secret bases and Contests were similarly in both Hoenn and Sinnoh, so there's no ruling out that they might appear in some form in another region.
....Do you really think game freak is going to promote contests and secret bases in Sun&Moon again after all the promotion they had for oras?
Jabberwocky said:
Amie will probably return since Eevee needs it to evolve into Sylveon, although it might be renamed.
They can always give it another way to evolve like feebas in gen 5.

Last edited:
Experience Share - I love the gen 6 version because I don't have to train one pokemon at a time. Really useful and can be easily be turned off.

On the one hand, I also liked that I didn't have to switch train pokemon with Experience Share. On the other hand it also meant I was generally pretty overpowered compared to gym leaders and such, which made it a little too easy.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom