• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What gimmick do you want to see in Gen 8?

jonathan keller

Reaction score
Gen 6 had mega evolutions, Gen 7 had Alola forms. According to the italian rumors( which have been debunked unfortunately) Gen 8 was supposed to have some sort of "Turbo" gimmick. Not exactly sure what the leaker meant by that, but that's what he put. Doesn't really matter now.

So, what gimmick are you hoping to see in Pokémon Gen 8?

In my opinion, I’d like Game Freak to expand on Mega Evolution due to it being pretty marketable. However, since they’d rather introduce a new gimmick every generation, one marketable idea I’d like to see are what I call “Mini-mons.”

Basically, a previous Nintendo franchise called Nintendogs had these mini pets that your main pet could play with. I’d be cute to see some sort of similar concept be combined with the concept of the Yugioh TCG’s Union monsters (having monsters being equipped to other monsters for combat advantages) introduced in Pokémon. Plus, it would add a layer of depth in terms of world-building if these Minimon weren’t counted as Pokémon, but rather separate creatures that happen to have a sort of harmonious relationship with Pokémon instead.

I don't want another new gimmick, especially if it's one that gets dumped after its debut generation.
Unfortunately, I think this will be the case if a new gimmick is introduced. For some reason Game Freak and the Pokemon Company think we have short attention spans. They think if they stay on a certain gimmick for more than a year, we'll get bored of it quickly and complain for something else. But unfortunately, the complainers are a loud minority, and that's what Game Freak and the Pokemon Company hear.

Gen 8 was supposed to have some sort of "Turbo" gimmick. Not exactly sure what the leaker meant by that, but that's what he put. Doesn't really matter now.
This is from Piuk's leak, right? I'm pretty sure he's been proven fake now, since he claimed his games were called "Pokemon Switch". (Since LGPE are the first main series games on the Switch,

I'm hoping that Pokemon stops considering new mechanics and features as "gimmicks" altogether. Previous new features, like shinies, double battles, abilities, etc. were never one-offs and were built on as a part of the world as the games continued. So why does Game Freak toss new features away now? Maybe one generation with no new features could be used to build up on all of them instead.

Cross-generational evolutions and regional variants only, please. Maybe Mega Evolutions exclusively for starters if they aren't an eyesore.

Maybe one generation with no new features could be used to build up on all of them instead.
To be fair,the introduction of mega evolution was only one generation ago. They might have given it a break because the wanted to explore z-crystals and regional variants. I mean, Gen V had no cross-generational evolutions, and Gen VI only had one, then the concept sortof returned in the form of some of the regional variants.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised by a new gimmick, but I don't think it would be a form thing.I'd really prefer to see regional variants, and maybe megas return

Regional variants of non Kanto Pokemon, some cross-gen evolutions (WHY doesn’t Minior evolve? It’s one letter away from minor, too) and Mega Evolutions for the remaining starters and some other Pokémon would be the way to go imo.

We’ve had enough gimmicks for now.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom