• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Happen to the GS ball?

Holding back does seem like a good idea. The GS Ball is generally linked to Ho-oh, Lugia, and Celebi anyway.

Nomekop Oen said:
2.Ho-oh

The last time we saw the G/S Ball was in Johto.So for the time being,it's something that's connected to the Johto region.Ho-oh is also connected to the Johto region and was one of the new legendaries from the Gold and Silver series.Both are closely tied to Johto,but the difference is that we suspect Ho-oh's official appearance is being purposely put off since we believe it might have an important role in the future.So instead of being forgotten,it's possible that they're holding back on the G/S Ball too.Sort of a stretch,but meh.

Wasn't there an episode that dealt with Ho-oh after the GS ball had been given to... whoever it was supposed to be given to? "For Ho-oh the Bell Tolls". It was the story about how Ho-oh came to nest in the tower and was like a phoenix... I'm unsure as to if they actually showed the bird in the episode, though.

That's not an actual apperance, though. It just adds to Ho-oh's importance.

Hear-Hear!

Jo-Jo said:
Actually, Delia said in Pokemon Live that she had dated Gio for a while before meeting Ash's father.

And I maintain that a single, solitary mention right back at the beginning of the series does not equate to a dangling plot thread. They can pull a Star Wars revelation on us if they want to, but currently there is no set up for any such thing in the anime. It's unfair to criticise the writers for not tackling something that they never gave us any reason to believe they would tackle in the first place.

Hear-Hear! If Mr. Ketchum had been mentioned throughout the series, I would expect a late-entrance from him. However, he has only ever been mentioned im passim.

MistyIRC said:
The only thing that will bring the GS Ball back is a return to Johto a la the Battle Frontier.

Umm, battle frontier is in Hoenn, not Johto.

Last edited:
raekuul said:
Umm, battle frontier is in Hoenn, not Johto.

Um, the battle frontier is in Kanto, not Hoenn.

Not to mention there isn't even a Frontier in the show. The writers completely changed it by making seperate Battle facilities in various Kanto cities, as well as destroying the aspect of what the Frontier was suppossed to be about.

The Frontier Brains seem like GYM leaders, and sadly, that's what the writers turned them into. Ash even does the badge pose thing with the frontier symbols.

Well Ash would do the Badge Pose thing.

But Ash is currently back in Kanto in Japan, and he could return to Johto in the future. Or maybe another Pokéball expert will have it. If there is one in D/P. it may be something to watch out for.

A hypothetical plot:
Maybe Ash would be forced to go back to Johto so he can retrieve the GS ball back from Kurt. Kurt may feel his resources are 'insufficient' and need to have special high-end equipment. Ash may have to trek all the way back to Hoenn towards Rustboro city where the regional pokéball manufacturer is none other than Devon Corp. From there I don't know...

I'm glad they didn't do that to get Ash to Hoenn for AG!

But no trekking. At the point this would be at, Ash should be able to get there quicker. Preferably on Pidgeot, but other uses would work too.

Besides, there are also experts in Saffron City. (That's where the Master Ball was made.) But there would have to be something 'discovered' that explains whatever its secret is.

Well with the amount of time Ash sends rubbing that ball, there certainly isn't a genie in there!

Pokemopolis has an excellent theory about the GS Ball. They postulate that it stands for the Gratuitous Sex Ball, and that it was merely a ploy to get Ash away from Pallet Town so the professor could get some more lovin' from his mom. Pokemopolis rocks.

Until such a time as the anime proves otherwise, that could very well be right!

FIFTEEN YEARS LATER...

Ha ha, another Fossilized thread is resurrected! Well, as far as the anime is concerned, the GS Ball is still dead (feel free to insert your "always has been" jokes here...), but the games have acknowledged it's existence since the last reply on this thread. The VC editions of GSC allow you to pick up a Celebi in a GS Ball!

Also, I should explain a bit better why I feel inclined to resurrect these ancient threads: It's Pokemon's 25th anniversary next year, so I figured, why the heck not? It's fun to look into the past!

Something I always wondered was why they didn't just write the GS ball into the plot of the film?

Seems like it would be much easier to have the ball be destroyed or whatever by the film's end rather than have it carry on in the show like a dead paperweight and just hope the audience forget about it. :unsure:

Something I always wondered was why they didn't just write the GS ball into the plot of the film?

Seems like it would be much easier to have the ball be destroyed or whatever by the film's end rather than have it carry on in the show like a dead paperweight and just hope the audience forget about it. :unsure:
Since not everyone watches the movies, I feel it would be weird for them to see the GS Ball disappear with even less reason (from their point of view). Kinda like how I wondered when Sakura captured The Arrow card until I discovered this year that it was caught in a movie.

Since not everyone watches the movies, I feel it would be weird for them to see the GS Ball disappear with even less reason (from their point of view). Kinda like how I wondered when Sakura captured The Arrow card until I discovered this year that it was caught in a movie.
Fair point, in which case it would have probably make the most sense to have created an alternate plot thread involving the GS Ball if they had to have Celebi in the movie. Hell, you could even subvert expectations and have it finally opened up only to find that nothing's in it - but its strength in remaining closed makes it a pseudo-Master Ball and is given back to Ash in order to catch a really powerful Pokémon or something.

Really, anything interesting would have served better than what we got IMO.

But that should be a good thing because then all their schoolyard chums start raving about the GS Ball finally being revealed and that encourages more people to see the movie who might otherwise not have for whatever reason.

They may have been in a hard place with marketing executives saying, "you will not put Celebi in the anime," breathing down their necks, but of all the options available to them the one they picked was literally the worst possible thing they could have done. It would be nice if they could finally readdress it with Journeys, but they of course won't.

But that should be a good thing because then all their schoolyard chums start raving about the GS Ball finally being revealed and that encourages more people to see the movie who might otherwise not have for whatever reason.
It might work for Japan, but for the rest of the world? Most people here don't know that there's more than one or two Pokémon movies because only Mewtwo Strikes Back and Detective Pikachu got released in theaters here (an nobody cares about direct to DVD).

EDIT: To put an example of how this can go badly, remember Ryo from Digimon? He was used to promote the WonderSwan Digimon games, and he was involved in an infuriating flashback that didn't make sense at all unless you played those games. And considering the WonderSwan got stuck in Asia...

It's both funny and interesting to see that this thread was created before the interview that explained the reason GS Ball'd been dropped.

I remember I had hopes that it'd return eventually as well, and by the time this thread was created (September 2005), it hadn't been out of the show for that long yet.

It might work for Japan, but for the rest of the world?
I was thinking of the Japanese market since the movie's producers are Japanese. I wouldn't expect the idea that US kids might miss out if it was movie-exclusive would factor into their decision-making process, although I could be wrong.

I was thinking of the Japanese market since the movie's producers are Japanese. I wouldn't expect the idea that US kids might miss out if it was movie-exclusive would factor into their decision-making process, although I could be wrong.
I'm not from the US, which is why I'm saying it would be bad.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom