• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What happens when a Trainer dies?

Pokémon Spectrum

Friend to All Pokémon
Reaction score
A thought occurred to me sometime last year: When a Trainer dies, what happens to their Pokémon? Do the Pokémon get released? Are the Pokéballs buried with the body? Are the Pokémon passed on to the Trainer's relatives?

This was such an intriguing question that it ended up giving me an idea for what they could do for a new series of Pokémon movies.

When a trainer dies, they then come back to life. Repeat at least once a series or so. *cough*ASHKETCHUM*cough*

In all seriousness, though, I imagine the trainer determines what becomes of their Pokémon in their will. In the event that there is no will, I suppose Pokémon are treated the same way as pets that outlive their masters; if anyone knows what that entails, feel free to fill us in. :p

That's the conclusion I came to as well. I just wanted to see what other people might think. To be honest, it makes the most sense: It's been shown that Pokémon DO age and die the same way that humans and real-world animals do, so it would make sense for a trainer to make arrangements to ensure that their trusted partners are well-cared for before they eventually pass on as well. Although, I'm not entirely sure about Legendary Pokémon, which is kind of the focus of the movie idea I mentioned.

I'm not sure how much we want to bring the anime in this, but I remember there was one episode where the owner of a Ninetales passed away, and the Ninetales for whatever reason couldn't move too far away from its Poké Ball, so it instead stayed in the same area until its Poké Ball was broken. My guess is that whatever happens to the Pokémon really depends on what happens to its Poké Ball, regardless of what the owner wants.

As for Legendary Pokémon, I think it depends on the legendary. We've seen some trainers in the anime capture and use Legendary Pokémon in battles, so I would assume the same thing would happen to them as would any other Pokémon. But it may also be possible that Legendaries have so much power that they would be able to overcome such obstacles if necessary. (I can't see Arceus going through the same situation as that aforementioned Ninetales, for example, and I would imagine it would have the power to move around regardless of the status of its Poké Ball. But you never know... ?)

I'm not sure how much we want to bring the anime in this, but I remember there was one episode where the owner of a Ninetales passed away, and the Ninetales for whatever reason couldn't move too far away from its Poké Ball, so it instead stayed in the same area until its Poké Ball was broken. My guess is that whatever happens to the Pokémon really depends on what happens to its Poké Ball, regardless of what the owner wants.

As for Legendary Pokémon, I think it depends on the legendary. We've seen some trainers in the anime capture and use Legendary Pokémon in battles, so I would assume the same thing would happen to them as would any other Pokémon. But it may also be possible that Legendaries have so much power that they would be able to overcome such obstacles if necessary. (I can't see Arceus going through the same situation as that aforementioned Ninetales, for example, and I would imagine it would have the power to move around regardless of the status of its Poké Ball. But you never know... ?)

That Ninetales didn't leave the mansion because it was still loyal to its trainer. It only left after its Poké Ball was broken beacuse Brock had managed to convince it to move on, and broke the ball as a symbol that it was free to do whatever it wanted. At least, that's how I remember it. And considering the fact that Team Rocket's trapped Pokémon and hauled them so far away from their Poké Balls without the Pokémon suffering any adverse effects, there can't be THAT strong of a connection between a Pokémon and its Poké Ball.

And I'm assuming that most Legendary Pokémon are effectively immortal, since the vast majority of them have been around for centuries at the very least.

I doubt that pokeballs are buried along with their trainers, since you've essentially killed the pokemon in the process, and I'm not sure what kind of trainer wouldn't want their pokemon to continue enjoying life after they've gone. (In a region based on Ancient Egypt, maybe.)

In all seriousness, though, I imagine the trainer determines what becomes of their Pokémon in their will. In the event that there is no will, I suppose Pokémon are treated the same way as pets that outlive their masters; if anyone knows what that entails, feel free to fill us in. :p

Pets that outlive their owners usually end up either with relatives or in the shelter. Or, in the case of Greyfriars Bobby, they never leave their master's side. If we ever get a region based on Scotland, then I'd appreciate a reference to a Stoutland that guarded its master's grave.

Given that most pokemon start out as wild beings, however, maybe they can simply re-adapt to their former lifestyle once their trainer has gone.

Maybe their Pokemon are released into the wild, or are "adopted" by a friend or family member.

Pets that outlive their owners usually end up either with relatives or in the shelter. Or, in the case of Greyfriars Bobby, they never leave their master's side. If we ever get a region based on Scotland, then I'd appreciate a reference to a Stoutland that guarded its master's grave.

Given that most pokemon start out as wild beings, however, maybe they can simply re-adapt to their former lifestyle once their trainer has gone.

I see. I don't know about a "shelter", but the Pal Park might work just as well.

I assume their Pokemon are transported to the PC service and adopted out or given to family/friends?

I would imagine that if a Trainer is getting up in years, they probably would have prepared a will and might have made arrangements through that. I mean, a Trainer can't take any items to the afterlife, so they'll have to make arrangements for their worldly possessions. The same might be done for the Pokemon in their care. People in this world do the same thing for their pets so it would make sense if they did something similar in the Pokemon world.

I imagine it would be different case by case, say their kids get them, or they just chill till they also die. I wouldn't think they'd be released though, unless requested be the trainer themselves.

Yeah I'm running off the assumption that the trainer would put that in their will, giving out their Pokemon to family and friends. In the case of not having a will (as in an untimely death), I assume they would go to the family (like real world pets) and the family could do as they saw fit.

I actually addressed this twice in my Pokemon X and Y journey fic, both involving Fairy-type Pokemon. The first example is in Chapter 8 - Calem mentions how his great-grandmother, Domitille Hennequin, was an actress during the 1920s. She owned a whole troupe of Flabebe who performed with her in movies. Despite living to be over 100, Domitille died before her Flabebe did. She passed on her Flabebe to one of her grandchildren. (My fanfics gave Calem entertainment in his family background, going back a few centuries.)

The second example is in Chapter 18 - there are plenty of Florges tending the gardens of the Parfum Palace. (This idea is straight out of Florges' Pokedex entry in Pokemon Y.) My fanfic mentions that the Florges had been tending the palace gardens since the palace was built - basically, they have outlived the monarchy that they served. The new government allowed them to continue tending the palace gardens even though the royal family no longer lived there. (In real life, no one has lived in the Palace of Versailles since the French Revolution. The Bourbon monarchy was restored in 1815, and ruled until 1848, but they did not live at Versailles.) They have basically gone from domesticated to semi-domesticated, but not completely wild since they were so used to tending the flowers.

I would say that people would most likely pass Pokemon to their relatives. If they do not have any living relatives or do not trust their families with their Pokemon, they might give them to friends or simply release them.

Last edited:
They get buried in a Pokemon Tower/Cemetery. Is really rare to see someone die in the anime it just happens sometimes.

They get buried in a Pokemon Tower/Cemetery. Is really rare to see someone die in the anime it just happens sometimes.

That only applies if the Pokémon die along with the trainer. I'm talking about what happens when the trainer dies, leaving his/her Pokémon behind. I'm also talking in general, not just the anime.

I would say that people would most likely pass Pokemon to their relatives. If they do not have any living relatives or do not trust their families with their Pokemon, they might give them to friends or simply release them.

This raises another question: If the Pokémon get released after the trainer dies, do they stick together once they're back in the wild because of the bonds they formed during their travels with the trainer, or do they put it all behind them and go their separate ways?

This raises another question: If the Pokémon get released after the trainer dies, do they stick together once they're back in the wild because of the bonds they formed during their travels with the trainer, or do they put it all behind them and go their separate ways?
I addressed this once in my fic. A few of the pokemon stuck together - the ones that had been captured young and grew up with each other - but the others who had joined as battling partners just kind of wandered off alone to find their own species again. There was even one pokemon who traveled back to a previous town in order to seek out a new trainer, which I think is definitely another option that many pokemon would think about.

Good question, next question. hehe
But I think it can be one of many, the Pokemons just stay around the area the grave of the trainer is and guard it. If a trainer has relative they might prepare beforehand that their Pokemon are taken care of if they die like often have them with their children/grandchildren so they can entrust the Pokeballs when passing. Other Pokemons might end up in a Pokecenter where they can leave for the wild or stick to another trainer that seems nice to them. They may also just travel seeking a purpose or place to live (and end up evolving into a legendary over the course of time, just an idea). The might also just look for a group of their kind to live on. Many possibilities but I doubt we ever will get a clear statement about this. It doesn't work with Pokemons happiness theme. Although like just an ep of XY with Espurr showed they just stay around a familiar place though that mustn't mean it applies to all Pokes and it appears no one knew of it still being there. The old woman lived kind of isolated anyway.

I think if the pokemon want to leave they can, but if thye have been with the family that long and like them, i doubt they would want to leave. Or the Probate court may determine to who gets to be their keeper

If a trainer dies of old age, they'll probably arrange the fate of the pokemons in their will (released/passed down)

If a trainer dies suddenly and had no time to leave a will, the pokemons would either return to the wild or stay around whoever wants to keep them next

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom