• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What happens when Legendaries are caught?

Calcium

Former Slythe
Reaction score
For example, if Palkia was caught, why isn't space falling apart while he/she's in their pokeball? Or is it just happening veeeery slowly?

(I searched through plenty o' threads but couldn't find anything like this.)

Because they aren't necessary for the process to continue. Space already exists.

Only a few legendaries have been established to be absolutely uncapturable, and most of those are in the anime. Even then, things like the Shamouti Legendary Birds are only uncapturable because of their positions, and others of their species can be caught with no ill effects.

Because they aren't necessary for the process to continue. Space already exists.
Yeah, but in its pokedex entry in platinum it says "It is said that space becomes more stable with Palkia's every breath". So doesn't that mean it becomes less stable while palkia is in a pokeball (or holding its breath)? Or should i have just not messed with the best?

I always thought that they were still conscious in their Poke Ball, just very small and able to see out of the container. So Palkia would still be breathing and controlling space, he'd just be resting inside the ball.

Wait... if we catch Arceus, do we have supreme power over the rest of the universe? O.O

Essentialy, when a pokemon is put inside a pokeball, it is still there, just inside the pokeball, they do everything the same as before they were in the pokeball, except while being carried by a trainer

Maybe Arceus made them After seeing the Future? so that Their Powers work after being Caught?

If I were working for Nintendo I would call them "rare-pokemon" and not legendary. They just make us discuss stuff they don't give a shit about. XD

Maybe you just caught a (still powerful) fake?

I mean, that makes some sense. Either that or catching them still allows them to use their powers.

When they get caught, a clone is made of them to take their place.

i think of just two theories when this is brought up, either:

A) it is just one of many in its species, after all, i think we've established that there are multiple legendary pokemon with each species, ie. shaymin, lugia, celebi to name a few. and i know game=/=anime, but still, how else would there be one for every single player? (i guess you could count each game as a separate mulitverse but still)

or

B) i've read somewhere long ago that pokemon who are captured have their power cap'd. So essentially, once those pokemon are caught, they are still powerful, but are no longer as prestigious as they once were, and since proven not myths/legends, are stripped of such status and there fore only impact their previous role to a minor extent and only around the trainer, where ever he/she may roam.

Nothing happens. The anime is full of bullshit in that department. As far as the games are concerned (and as everyone should know, the games override everything else), Legendaries are just overpowered Pokémon. Accept that and move on.

i think of just two theories when this is brought up, either:

A) it is just one of many in its species, after all, i think we've established that there are multiple legendary pokemon with each species, ie. shaymin, lugia, celebi to name a few. and i know game=/=anime, but still, how else would there be one for every single player? (i guess you could count each game as a separate mulitverse but still)

Game =/= anime. In the game the pokedex heavily implies there's only one of every legendary with the exception of Lati@s. Especially with RSE it would be impossible for there to be more than one Groudon or Kyogre.
Honestly, the anime is so far from canon I don't understand how you can even say that something that happens in it happens in the game. That's bullshit; in the anime shadow ball affects normal pokemon and fire pokemon have an easier time defeating rock types than grass types. Does that happen in the games? No.

There isn't one legendary for every player, and any legendaries that you can get in several games are not critical to the plot. You can't get Groudon and Kyogre in HGSS until after defeating Red, so it might be that obtaining them isn't canon. Furthermore, capturing the three birds + mewtwo wasn't critical to the plot in FRLG so it's possible that they aren't part of canon.

Because honestly, the pokemon plot isn't so vital as to keep players from obtaining any pokemon. The only thing that's really canon in terms of plot is defeating Y rival and beating up X evil team, becoming champion and all without 329071243 filler episodes and characters, and thankfully the protagonist keeps his/her mouth shut.

Last edited:
B) i've read somewhere long ago that pokemon who are captured have their power cap'd. So essentially, once those pokemon are caught, they are still powerful, but are no longer as prestigious as they once were, and since proven not myths/legends, are stripped of such status and there fore only impact their previous role to a minor extent and only around the trainer, where ever he/she may roam.

That would be in Sinnoh. It's in Cyrus's notes, and the reason he had to make the Red Chain rather than using that Master Ball he kept around for...some reason.

Also, why would you think that it would suddenly make them not mythic or legendary?

Game =/= anime. In the game the pokedex heavily implies there's only one of every legendary with the exception of Lati@s. Especially with RSE it would be impossible for there to be more than one Groudon or Kyogre.

...No it wouldn't. And the pokedex implies no such thing. The only one we know for absolute certain that there's only one of is Mewtwo...and then Ranger 3 came along and had a completely different one.

Heck, the games seem to imply that there's more than one Lugia. The one we catch is pretty big, but it can't block out the sun.

Also, the games have established that even Mew has been captured. Hayley gives you hers.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom