• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What have you named your Pokemon?

domesticshorthair

Reaction score
Anyone wanna share?

I named a female Bellsprout BelleFleur. An Ekans Slytherin. As soon as I catch a rock Pokemon, espeically an Onix, it'll be Pietro, or Petra. A Sentreck, I can't make up my mind if it should be Bunny or Usagi. I named it Bunny, but I might catch another one to name it Usagi. A Pidgey named Birdbrain. I'll come up with even better names. :D

I dont usually do nicknames, but I named a Charmander Kip once.

I went through a Blue Dragon phase awhile back, so in Diamond I have Shu the Infernape, Jiro the Honchkrow, Kluke the Staraptor, Zola the Medicham, Hanmalon (This was before his name was dubbed), the Roserade, and a PBR Raichu I call Cynthia even though she doesn't actually have a nickname, obviously.

I also have Capn'Paul the Luxray. I think he'd be less then flattered, but that's after the guy on Whale Wars. Well, I was watching it when he hatched. XD

Last but not least I can't forget Susan the Vulpix, Edmond the Piplup, Lucy the Shinx and Peter the Monferno...

I always name my Pokemon after their Japanese counter parts. If I'm going to evolve them to their final evolved form, I'll name them after that. It's mostly my way of making sure I remember the Japanese names.

I get my names from anime characters, game characters, Disney characters, and foreign words.

Examples:

Serena the Persian (after Sailor Moon's English name)
Zelda the Gardevoir (after Princess Zelda)
Ariel the Vaporeon (after Disney's mermaid)
Estrella the Staraptor (estrella is Spanish for star)

Serena the Persian (after Sailor Moon's English name)

lolThat's a GREAT idea! And I'm naming my Sentrek by her by Serena's Japanese name, Usagi. And I think they called her Bunny in the manga, too. Rats! Now I'm sorry I named Bellsprout BelleFleur, I should have named her Makoto or Lita. Or maybe even just Kino. I should start a Sailor Moon team.

My main one, Blaziken is called Fouler
I called my charmander in Firered Charla, after Liza's. My male charizard in Pearl is named Scorch after Scorch from lost vikings.
Salamence is called Yevaud after the dragon from Earthsea.
Dragonite is called Tiamat.
My female Weavile is called Haru, I find weavile cat like so named after Haru from the cat returns.
Shiftry, called it Tengu, maybe could have been more creative.
I called my male Exeggcutor Tulip

Last edited:
I usually name all of my Pokemon the romanji names of the original counterparts XD
eg. Bulbasaur = Fushigidane

I nickname all my Poke`mon, even the one's I get in trades that don't have names.
I can't name them all, haha, but I like the names of my team on Silver (which I play a lot).

Baku- Typhlosion
Gary- Gyarados
Tori- Skarmory
Poppy- Jumpluff
Mary- Ampharos
Garz- Houndoom

Most all of my Pokémon get nicknames, though they're usually Transformer names. For example:
Bulbasaur- Bruticus
Typhlosion- FireConvoy (Name of the Cybertron leader in Transformers: Car Robots)
Blaziken- Hot Shot
Infernape- Convoy (Optimus Prime's name in Japan)

The strangest nickname I've ever given a Pokémon would be the one I've given my Giratina. I named it Clover, as a nod to the Cloverfield monster. It just seemed to fit for some odd reason.

I always name my Pokemon after their Japanese counter parts. If I'm going to evolve them to their final evolved form, I'll name them after that. It's mostly my way of making sure I remember the Japanese names.

I do that too sometimes

Torterra > Dodaitose
Luxray > Rentoraa > Shinichiro
Shinx > Miki
Togetic > Robert
Pikachu > Peter
Azurill > Falco
Dratini > Utsushinwa (Forgot what 2 words I used to come up with that)
Mime Jr > Pierii (Bebii + Piero)
Corphish > Heni (I couldn't quite remember what its Japanese name was, so I used that as a temporary name)

Charizard - Match
Snorlax - Narcol(Short for Narcolepsy)
Crobat - Echo
Alakazam - Wizard
Gyarados - Tyrant
Jolteon - Static
Butterfree - Butters(sometimes he insists on being called Prof. Chaos)

Well... I rarely name my pokemon...

Shedinja: Kon
Ninjask: Paku
Both mean "spirit" or "soul"... though one refers to the mind and the other to the corporeal ghost.
It's a reference to Youmu Konpaku, who is sort of a samurai and a "half-ghost" (she has a human form, and alongside her a ghost form).

I name mostly all of my Pokemon, so here are some great examples:
Basic-Eevee
Aqua-Vaporeon
Thunder-Jolteon
Flame-Flareon
Cute Power-Espeon
Shadow-Umbreon
Leafy-Leafeon
Icy-Glacieon
Dark Snow-Weavile
Kazzie-Female Kadabra
!!!!!!!!!!-Unown !
??????????-Unown ?
Water-Empoleon (I wasn't very original there...)
Bibarel-Nutty
Diamond-Piplup partner in PMD2

And one of the best I ever came up with:
Vendetta-Female Banette (came from Making Fiends)

I never used nicknames regularly until Silver, and most of them were abbreviations. Now most of my nicknames are references to favorite films/television programs. For instance:

Swampert - Tobias (Arrested Development)
Swellow - Lucille (Arrested Development)
Aipom - Mr. F (Arrested Development)
Bulbasaur - Jules (Pulp Fiction)
Charmander - Vincent (Pulp Fiction)
Treecko - Randal (Clerks)

Those are the names that immediately come to mind, but there are many, more obscure references, but I can't remember who I attached them to -.-

My most recent team I named after songs:

Mismagius- Purple Haze (Jimi Hendrix)
Medicham- 10000 Fists (Disturbed)
Metagross- Iron Man (Black Sabbath)
Tyranitar- Beast of Burden (Rolling Stones)
Gardevoir- Sweet Emotion (Aerosmith)
Houndoom- Black Dog (Led Zeppelin)

Next, I'm going to do a "Dream team." Haven't really finalized any pokemon for it, but some names that I thought of

Gardevoir- LilacDream
Houndoom- EbonyDream
Medicham- Zen Dream
Gallade- BladeDream
Umbreon- LunarDream
Mismagius- LucidDream

Such fun things. Typically, I just name them semi-random things.

Gardevoir- Reibai (Japanese for spirit)
Espeon- Koi (....zumi. Itsuki Koizumi, the Esper from Haruhi)
Umbreon- Luna
Misdreavus- Umbra
Gengar- The Joker
Absol- Sirius

^ Examples. >.<

I recommend checking out Disfunctional on youtube. He has the best Pokemon nicknames I've ever seen.

I never give my pokemon nicknames, I give them inmate #s. Like 02938619, etc...That way, they know who they belong to.

I tend to name mine ether things that relate too them in Japanese (such as naming a fire Pokémon "Hito"), or a random name like "Sammy" or something. I sometimes to totally random nicknames, such as calling my Buizel "Game Over".

Vaporeon-Mermista(after the character in She-Ra: Princess of Power.
Beautifly-Flutterina(same as above).
Blaziken-Phoenix.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom