• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What have you named your rivals and friends?

Mumzy

★ Pokémon Proffesor ☆
Reaction score
In the Pokemon games what have you named your rivals? I name mine 'Peepee' everytime. Sometimes I add that little constipated face and several explanation and question marks.

Last edited:
I wanted to name my rival in HeartGold "that jerk", but noooo, there has to be a seven-letter limit on names, cos no-one has a name with 8 or more letters in it! /sarcasm

I ended up naming him Manfred, after Manfred von Karma, since I had gotten into Ace Attorney around the same time.

Named the enemy dipshit on Silver once. A while later in game:
"Some dipshit guy stole my Pokemon!"

I usually name my rival after real life friends from school etc. But I named the Rival in GSC something different because he wasnt really your friend, so I named him Betty as it was funny to haven this tough guy runny around called Betty, in HGSS because I gave Ethan my own name, I decided to name the rival Ethel, which is close to Ethan.

I usually name them after characters of series that I'm watching at the time I play the games.

For example, I once named Barry "Tobias."

I give them a name proportional to their hair style. And only their hair style. No, I'm not a hair-stylist. Nor do I ever want to be. Nor do I care about hair all that much.

But it's always the hair style. Barry? Yeah, called him Charlie. All because of the hair. And Blue? Called him Iann. The hair demanded it. It speaks to me!

I don't really name rivals/friends anything other than their standard names (Silver, Barry, etc.). Before I knew Barry's name though, I called him Ralph because I thought he looked like a Ralph. xP Now I'm used to him being Barry lol.

I try to name them after what I think they "look" like (I thought Barry looked like a "Jun," so I named him that, for example).

When I was playing through Crystal version, though, my friend thought it would be a good idea to take my game and skip through the naming your rival part, so the GSCHGSS rival will always be Silver to me.

I usually name them after random anime/manga characters... Like I named Blue Tenchi from Tenchi Muyo way back.... And my person was Ayeka.

I normally name them their default names. Yeah, I know, I'm boring.

It's usually something random, though a few times I have gone for an entire theme with the names, even if it really doesn't fit. Such as my current playthrough of LeafGreen, where I chose the name "Harker" for the rival. That, and I went for the name "Mina" with a female character.

On Diamond I named Barry Link (I was in the mood for Twilight Princess). Soulsilver I named him Saizo after the asshat in Rosario + Vampire. Silver...I named him mud. Without knowing about the phrase "My name is Mud." I had to share the cartridge with my bro and boy was he pissed.

I name them randomly or use the default name. But I once thought Silver was actually a girl and named herhim "Lady Ann"

...lol

Once on a playthrough of SS I named myself Ralph and Silver I named Jack. Unfortunately, there was no third person to name Piggy...

Once on a playthrough of SS I named myself Ralph and Silver I named Jack. Unfortunately, there was no third person to name Piggy...

I'm guessing you like the book Lord of the Flies? xP

I hated it, honestly. It just wasn't my type of story. I can't believe I never thought of the idea of naming the rivals after other fictional characters though.

I hated it, honestly. It just wasn't my type of story. I can't believe I never thought of the idea of naming the rivals after other fictional characters though.

I didn't like it much either, but I figured the personalities matched... and after we finished the book in LA there was like a whole 2 months in my class where inside jokes about fake storylines and motives and such abounded. But that's a story for another day.

In Diamond I named the rival Tyson because I thought it was weird... and you know, he's 'chicken' now.

I didn't like it much either, but I figured the personalities matched... and after we finished the book in LA there was like a whole 2 months in my class where inside jokes about fake storylines and motives and such abounded. But that's a story for another day.

In Diamond I named the rival Tyson because I thought it was weird... and you know, he's 'chicken' now.

Ah, I see. And I named Barry Tyson once too. But that was even before I decided I liked the name Ralph better for him lol.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom