• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What if Ash, Goh, and Chloe all had different teams in Pokémon Journeys?

DigitalGen6

Amid the snow falling down in flakes from the sky
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
  2. They/Them
Note: I have no problem with their teams in the anime. I just made this in my free time.
So, two days ago I had an idea: What if Ash and his traveling companions in Journeys (I’m aware Chloe is a supporting character, I consider her a main) had different teams?
I also Googled up Ash’s team structure and also based it on that.
Basically:
  • Ash has a starter Pokémon in all his teams until Journeys, where he doesn’t (but Goh does)
  • Ash has all three starters in Kanto, Johto, and Unova, and only one evolves (except Johto, where two evolve)
    • Kanto: Charizard, Bulbasaur, Squirtle
    • Johto: Bayleef, Quilava, Totodile
    • Unova: Pignite, Oshawott, Snivy
  • One of Ash’s Pokémon is always his ace, unless he proves otherwise (not counting Pikachu)
    • Kanto: Charizard
    • Johto: Noctowl
    • Hoenn: Sceptile
    • Sinnoh: Infernape
    • Unova: I guess Krokodile?
    • Kalos: Greninja (obviously)
    • Alola: Lycanroc
    • Galar: Lucario
  • Ash always catches the regional bird. The only exception is Alola (however, Rowlet is a regional bird and a Grass type starter)
  • Ash has Water, Fire, and Grass Pokémon on his teams (except Johto unless you’re counting Charizard, and Alola)
    • Sinnoh: Infernape, Buizel, Toterra
    • Hoenn: Torkoal, Corphish, Sceptile
    • Kanto: Charizard, Bulbasaur, Squirtle
    • Kalos: Greninja, Talonflame
      • He didn’t catch a Grass type
    • Unova: Pignite, Snivy, Oshawott
This is my attempt at making different teams for the Galar gang:
Ash:
  • Pikachu (keeping on the team obviously)
  • Rillaboom (I really wanted Goh’s Grookey to evolve, plus I didn’t like how Goh got all the starters and not Ash, but I also wanted to do something like AG and XY where one gets one starter, another gets another, and a third gets a third starter)
  • Corviknight (needs a regional bird; also G-MAX)
  • Drednaw (type balance)
  • Centiskorch (type balance)
  • Sirfetch’d (keeping because I like it)
Goh:
  • Cinderace (If Goh needs to keep one, he can keep this)
  • Shiftry (caught before, type balance)
  • Kingler (caught before, type balance)
  • Gengar (G-Max, Ash and Goh trade and Goh gets this)
  • Noivern (needs a Flying type, and Goh has caught a Noibat/Noivern before, right?)
  • Hatterene (idk)
Chloe:
  • Boltund (the Yamper on her team evolves)
  • Inteleon (remaining starter)
  • Eevee (I wanted it to evolve but now I have fully realized it’s based on G-Max Eevee so it can’t)
  • Bellossom (type balance)
  • Galarian Rapidash (idk I just feel like it suits her)
  • Talonflame (needs a Flying type to travel, type balance)
If anyone else has an ideas for what the teams could be like, let me know! (You guys probably have better ideas than me lmao)

I like making team rewrites, so I'll give this one a go~

Ash
  • Pikachu
  • Lucario
  • Dracovish
  • Rillaboom
  • Tyranitar
  • Hisuian Braviary
Pikachu needs no explanation, but aside from him I'm keeping Lucario and Dracovish as part of Ash's Journeys team, as the former is a Pokemon that lots of people (myself included) have always wanted Ash to use and the latter I just thought was a fun and unique capture for Ash. Those aside, I'm giving Ash Rillaboom (who'd be the Gigantamax user of the team in this version) because I personally prefer when the Generation's starters are distributed between the cast over giving all of them to just one character, and imo the Grookey line fits Ash the best (I do realize that doing this would require leon's team being revamped too, but that's okay). Tyranitar is for the sake of giving Ash a pseudo-legendary that none of the other Masters 8 used, and would also be the very same Larvitar that he protected in the Johto saga. Hisuian Braviary is literally just me being self-indulgent, as I love its design and would've loved to see it have a proper anime appearancr; Ash would catch it during a Legends Arceus-centric arc where he gets sent back in time to Hisui. This way Ash's World Champion team is now much more region-diverse: Pikachu represents Kanto and Alola via his Z-Move, Lucario represents Sinnoh and Kalos via his Mega, Dracovish and Rillaboom both represent Galar (which imo deserves to have extra representation due to being the newest region at the time), and Hisuian Braviary represents Hisui and Unova.

Goh
  • Eevee
  • Cinderace
  • Raichu
  • Pinsir
  • Sirfetch'd
  • Arctozolt
Look, I get that Eevee is likely a mandatory part of the main cast now that it's a mascot, but imo Chloe shouldn't have been the one to get it, as not only was she the third female companion in a row to have an Eevee (though granted, I think Lana also shouldn't have gotten an Eevee and thus she wouldn't have had one either in my version of SM), but I also felt like she didn't have any real identity as a character besides just being "the designated Eevee girl", so if we had to have an Eevee in the main cast imo Goh is the one who should have gotten it, not just because it shakes up the formula at least a little bit by giving it to a boy, but also because Goh was billed as having equal character importance to Ash, and since Eevee is the co-mascot to Pikachu, Goh having a non-evolving Eevee to parallel Ash's non-evolving Pikachu would be a nice reference to how both pairs are supposed to be co-stars. The Eevee itself would still keep its arc of being unable to evolve, but it would have a real conclusion and actually showcase the Gigantamax form. Cinderace stays because I see it as Goh's flagship Pokemon, and the rest of Goh's team is made up of canon Pokemon of his that I liked (Raichu and Pinsir), a Pokemon that has a counterpart to one of Ash's team members (Arctozolt), and a Pokemon that originally belonged to Ash but I'd give to Goh in my version in order to try and preserve its screentime.

Chloe
  • Yamper
  • Sobble
To start with, Chloe would get a complete revamp as a character since I feel like she was a very watered down version of an arc that at least three other PokeGirls went through (namely May, Serena, and Lillie; all three of whom finished their "looking for a goal in life" arcs early and moved on to develop in numerous other ways), so instead of Chloe not knowing what she wants to do, I would've made it that she does know what she wants to do (challenge a Gym Circuit), but is simply too afraid to try because she lacks self-confidence and has a lot of fears about taking that first step in general. As for her team, Yamper should have joined Chloe officially and I'm still angry that he never did, so I'm righting that wrong. Sobble is because I feel like it's the Galar starter that fits her the most personality-wise (and character development-wise in my version). I'm on the fence on wether I should evolve Sobble or not, because on one hand in my version of Journeys Chloe wouldn't start her Gym challenge until the end or near the end of Journeys (she'd decide to travel the Galar region and challenge its League after travelling with Ash and Goh and watching the former's battles accross the PWC) and I think it'd be weird for her to have an evolved starter (let alone a fully evolved one) before she officially begins her journey as a trainer, but on the other hand I don't want Sobble and Inteleon to be neglected...

Wow. These are all great ideas!
Ash
  • Pikachu
  • Lucario
  • Dracovish
  • Rillaboom
  • Tyranitar
  • Hisuian Braviary
Pikachu needs no explanation, but aside from him I'm keeping Lucario and Dracovish as part of Ash's Journeys team, as the former is a Pokemon that lots of people (myself included) have always wanted Ash to use and the latter I just thought was a fun and unique capture for Ash.
Good idea. I like the idea of Ash using Lucario, don’t know why I took it out of his team-
I'm giving Ash Rillaboom (who'd be the Gigantamax user of the team in this version) because I personally prefer when the Generation's starters are distributed between the cast over giving all of them to just one character, and imo the Grookey line fits Ash the best (I do realize that doing this would require leon's team being revamped too, but that's okay).
Same, that’s one of my favorite ways to do it is have Character 1 have one starter, Character 2 have another starter, and Character 3 have the last starter. Not to mention the Grookey line fits Ash really well and I do feel sorry for Grookey in the anime not evolving-
Tyranitar is for the sake of giving Ash a pseudo-legendary that none of the other Masters 8 used, and would also be the very same Larvitar that he protected in the Johto saga.
Sounds good! That would be a great callback to the Johto saga!
Hisuian Braviary is literally just me being self-indulgent, as I love its design and would've loved to see it have a proper anime appearancr; Ash would catch it during a Legends Arceus-centric arc where he gets sent back in time to Hisui.
Yep. He should’ve caught it in Arceus Chronicles lol.
This way Ash's World Champion team is now much more region-diverse: Pikachu represents Kanto and Alola via his Z-Move, Lucario represents Sinnoh and Kalos via his Mega, Dracovish and Rillaboom both represent Galar (which imo deserves to have extra representation due to being the newest region at the time), and Hisuian Braviary represents Hisui and Unova.
Yay, diversity! :D
Goh
  • Eevee
  • Cinderace
  • Raichu
  • Pinsir
  • Sirfetch'd
  • Arctozolt
Look, I get that Eevee is likely a mandatory part of the main cast now that it's a mascot, but imo Chloe shouldn't have been the one to get it, as not only was she the third female companion in a row to have an Eevee (though granted, I think Lana also shouldn't have gotten an Eevee and thus she wouldn't have had one either in my version of SM), but I also felt like she didn't have any real identity as a character besides just being "the designated Eevee girl", so if we had to have an Eevee in the main cast imo Goh is the one who should have gotten it, not just because it shakes up the formula at least a little bit by giving it to a boy, but also because Goh was billed as having equal character importance to Ash, and since Eevee is the co-mascot to Pikachu, Goh having a non-evolving Eevee to parallel Ash's non-evolving Pikachu would be a nice reference to how both pairs are supposed to be co-stars.
True. I only decided to keep Eevee since I liked the Chloe and Eevee pair, but now that I think about it, I think Goh and Eevee makes lots more sense (I was gonna give him Eevee but decided not to since reason stated above).
The Eevee itself would still keep its arc of being unable to evolve, but it would have a real conclusion and actually showcase the Gigantamax form.
Yeah. I never saw it Gigantamax in the show and afaik it probably never happened-
Cinderace stays because I see it as Goh's flagship Pokemon, and the rest of Goh's team is made up of canon Pokemon of his that I liked (Raichu and Pinsir), a Pokemon that has a counterpart to one of Ash's team members (Arctozolt), and a Pokemon that originally belonged to Ash but I'd give to Goh in my version in order to try and preserve its screentime.
Dracovish and Arctozolt? Heck yeah. :)
Also, they both have Sirfetch’d? Double heck yeah!
Chloe
  • Yamper
  • Sobble
To start with, Chloe would get a complete revamp as a character since I feel like she was a very watered down version of an arc that at least three other PokeGirls went through (namely May, Serena, and Lillie; all three of whom finished their "looking for a goal in life" arcs early and moved on to develop in numerous other ways), so instead of Chloe not knowing what she wants to do, I would've made it that she does know what she wants to do (challenge a Gym Circuit), but is simply too afraid to try because she lacks self-confidence and has a lot of fears about taking that first step in general.
What’s a Gym Circuit? Oh, you mean the Gym Challenge? I agree with you. Especially since there needs to be MORE Galar Gym Leaders in Journeys than Opal, Allister, Bea, Piers and Marnie, and Raihan.
As for her team, Yamper should have joined Chloe officially and I'm still angry that he never did, so I'm righting that wrong.
Wait, he didn’t join her team? Crap. I thought he did but I guess not. He deserves a spot on her team!
Sobble is because I feel like it's the Galar starter that fits her the most personality-wise (and character development-wise in my version).
You got that right, especially since Sobble is shy and all that stuff (and now you know why I got a Sobble in Shield as my starter; it’s fully evolved now and I also have the rest of the starters I got via Trading online).
I'm on the fence on wether I should evolve Sobble or not, because on one hand in my version of Journeys Chloe wouldn't start her Gym challenge until the end or near the end of Journeys (she'd decide to travel the Galar region and challenge its League after travelling with Ash and Goh and watching the former's battles accross the PWC) and I think it'd be weird for her to have an evolved starter (let alone a fully evolved one) before she officially begins her journey as a trainer, but on the other hand I don't want Sobble and Inteleon to be neglected...
Maybe she could start it halfway into the series? That way, we could see her journey begin AND it would give more time for the Leaders to be seen and more character development.
I literally gave Chloe the Water starter due to me not wanting it to be neglected lol

I’m probably gonna post a “What if I rewrote the Pokémon Sun and Moon anime?” post (I had the idea months ago, gonna post it soon since idk I just feel like it)
Edit: Just made it! I’ve also created an Indigo League rewrite (able to be found in Postings) and I’ve already posted the first two (it’s more like one and a half) chapters!

Last edited:
Also, they both have Sirfetch’d? Double heck yeah!
No. I think I dodn't word myself correctly: the reason I gave Goh a Sirfetch'd is because Ash wouldn't have one in my version of Journeys, so me giving it to Goh is a way to avoid cutting it out of the cast entirely (because like you I liked Ash's Sirfetch'd and wanted to keep it in some form)

Maybe she could start it halfway into the series? That way, we could see her journey begin AND it would give more time for the Leaders to be seen and more character development.
I literally gave Chloe the Water starter due to me not wanting it to be neglected lol
Hmm, maybe this could work... it would also open the chance to add Galarian Ponyta to Chloe's team.

No. I think I dodn't word myself correctly: the reason I gave Goh a Sirfetch'd is because Ash wouldn't have one in my version of Journeys, so me giving it to Goh is a way to avoid cutting it out of the cast entirely (because like you I liked Ash's Sirfetch'd and wanted to keep it in some form)
Oh right. I have a tendency to misread stuff.
Hmm, maybe this could work... it would also open the chance to add Galarian Ponyta to Chloe's team.
Yeah!

Ash:
  • Pikachu
  • Cinderace-agile powerhouse
  • Urshifu Rapid Strike-replaces Bluey as the ace, strong powerhouse
  • Gengar-it would be the Haunter from OS who came back evolved, and it would promote Megas.
  • Florges-Finally gives him a Fairy-type.
  • Salamence-Hoennian Dragonite, but with a more interesting backstory of wanting and learning to fly and also serves as a backup Mega.
Goh:
  • Rillaboom-Starter
  • Golurk-Powerhouse
  • Scizor-More agile powerhouse, shows his affinity for Bug types.
  • Chimchar-Something cute to carry around, could evolve to Monferno near the end.
  • Smeargle-With moves fitted for catching like False Swipe, Block, etc.
  • Toxtricity-Could promote eggs as well as Gen 8.
Chloe:
  • Sobble-It fits her marine themes, and would get easily scared by Yamper as it's weak to it.
  • Cramorant-References Psyduck making everything come full circle, could have a gag with Pikachu, and it shows Chloe has learned to appreciate other Pokemon than the cute ones.
  • Duosion-shows her interest in science, evolution and research.

Ash:
  • Pikachu
  • Cinderace-agile powerhouse
  • Urshifu Rapid Strike-replaces Bluey as the ace, strong powerhouse
  • Gengar-it would be the Haunter from OS who came back evolved, and it would promote Megas.
  • Florges-Finally gives him a Fairy-type.
  • Salamence-Hoennian Dragonite, but with a more interesting backstory of wanting and learning to fly and also serves as a backup Mega.
I really like this. (Also, when you called Lucario Bluey… OMG XD That’s funny! And I don’t even watch Bluey, but that’s so funny!)
Urshifu would be a good choice (especially with some SwSh representation and the DLC)
Gengar: Yes. Megas promotion slay.
Florges would work well, especially because he doesn’t have a Fairy type.
Salamence would work well, too! (Also, that means he and Sawyer have TWO Pokémon in common!)
Goh:
  • Rillaboom-Starter
  • Golurk-Powerhouse
  • Scizor-More agile powerhouse, shows his affinity for Bug types.
  • Chimchar-Something cute to carry around, could evolve to Monferno near the end.
  • Smeargle-With moves fitted for catching like False Swipe, Block, etc.
  • Toxtricity-Could promote eggs as well as Gen 8.
That works. But Goh HAS to evolve Grookey.
Chloe:
  • Sobble-It fits her marine themes, and would get easily scared by Yamper as it's weak to it.
  • Cramorant-References Psyduck making everything come full circle, could have a gag with Pikachu, and it shows Chloe has learned to appreciate other Pokemon than the cute ones.
  • Duosion-shows her interest in science, evolution and research.
That sounds good. And instead of Eevee, Chloe can have Sobble to carry around.
I like Cramorant’s gag with Pikachu.
Duosion sounds like fun.

I really like this idea and I give it 10/10 or 11/10.

Please note: The thread is from 10 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom