• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What if Ash's starter was different?

spring T

Reaction score
what do you think ash would be like now if he had woken up early & got one of his starters(charmander,squirtle,bulbasure)

would he be worse, better? would he had still traveled with misty & brock? would he still have gotten a pikachu? would he have gotten farther in the kento & other league's? what pokemon would he still have? would every thing in johto AG & DP be the same

i have thought about this for no reason, came up with my own aswers & want to see yours(not: fill free to question other region plots than just kanto even though i'll be the most changed from this)

my answers
1. he would mostlikly not have travled with misty(but have almost no choose but to meet her)(afew other gym leaders could have taken her place)(they would have to have reasons for doing so though)

2.he would have travled with brock depending on his starter he has to loss to brock to travle with him

3.he would have 2 of the same starter since he gets them all later

4.he would may have kept togepi since it was ash's to begin with

5.he may depending on the starter & order of battle would have beeten richie & made it farther in the kanto league

do you agree (any other questions?)

Re: what if ash's starter was different

Here are some other things

6. Team Rocket would probably never stalk him
7. He wouldn't have a pokemon to destroy a girls bike

Other then that I agree with what you're saying, also he would have chosen his forst choice squirtle

6. Team Rocket would probably never stalk him
7. He wouldn't have a pokemon to destroy a girls bike

also he would have chosen his forst choice squirtle

7. is true
6. depends on how long team rocket stayed in viridian city(but your right ash was'nt going fast them prob. would have left by the time ash arrived)

(squirtle yes but)his starter depends on the time of him waking up he still could have gotten any starter

(if ash woke up after gary but befor the other pallet trainers he would have had to pick bulbasure or charmander because gary got squirtle)

also:was up with the other pallet trainers getting past viridian forest & city so fast they only got but what a few hours at the most head start of ash

Last edited:

My main question is, how Gary handled Pikachu, seeing he would be the last if Ash was in time.

My main question is, how Gary handled Pikachu, seeing he would be the last if Ash was in time.

1st.gary was always a good divers trainer so i think he would've handled pika. o.k if he had him

2nd.you dont know if gary was last he could have had prof.oak reserve his pokemon or waited to come out last so everone could see him & cheer him he was a show off airigant trainer so that sound's like something he would do

(in garys wynnie voice ash you losser)lol

Last edited:

Well, IMO if everything had gone acording to plan and Ash had gotten Squirtle, he wouldn't have captured his Squirtle, the starter Squirtle along with Charizard (he would have caught him all the same) would be his strongest Pokemon... all in all his team would have depend on what type starter he had recieved.

But about his traveling companions things would have been quite different- first no Misty, he met her solely because Pikachu messed with the Spearow and crispped her bike... for Brock I say things could have gone either way...

And there's the possibility that Ash would have travelled with someone from the other Pallet trainers- namely Leaf (yeah, she is not confirmed to be in the animeverse but is the biggest possibility)...

About the League- would it have been different if Ash had another fully evolved starter when he faced Richie? Yeah, a lot probably...

But there's no sense dwelling in the past... we take what is given :D

I nothing then it's interesting idea for fanfic :-D

if everything had gone acording to plan and Ash had gotten Squirtle, he wouldn't have captured his Squirtle, all in all his team would have depend on what type starter he had recieved.

And there's the possibility that Ash would have travelled with someone from the other Pallet trainers- namely Leaf (yeah, she is not confirmed to be in the animeverse but is the biggest possibility)

But there's no sense dwelling in the past... we take what is given :D

1.if the storie stayed on path becuase squirtle followed ash he would have had 2 if he started with squritle

2.yea theres a chance of leaf travling(agreed) but shes a trainer 2 trainers travling together wouldent make seens ill just take longer to collect badges

3.im not dwelling on the past just wandering what people think about my question also him changing his starter would change his future in a small or big way

Interesting topic. :)

Assuming he got Squirtle (and, by extension, assuming Gary got Pikachu).

1: He probably doesn't end up with Misty.
2: With a Water Type, he has much better odds of beating Brock on the first try. In this case, it's hard to tell if he gets Brock.
3: He probably arrives in Viridian City AFTER Team Rocket.
4: I have no idea how to judge how good he'd end up. I think he'd still accomplish alot of his wins.

I imagine Pikachu wouldn't like Gary any more then Ash. Gary was also a jerk early on, but he DID take good care of his Pokemon. On the other hand I don't know if we have any indication he'd do what Ash had to to win Pikachu over--he wouldn't get in that exact situation, anyways, so it probably takes longer at least, resulting in Gary possibly dragging behind due to an unresponsive starter.
Also, earlier on Pikachu was often abit cowardly and unwilling to battle scary looking opponents until fighting Raichu. Gary's more likely to simply use something else, possibly resulting in Pikachu struggling with this longer and potentially making it much less effective then under Ash.

All IMHO, of course.

I nothing then it's interesting idea for fanfic
Agreed. Have for awhile, actually...

Last edited:

Ash would have wanted to get Squirtle, so if he had it...
1- Ash would have evolved it to Wartortle or Blastoise.
2- Ash would have had a deeper interaction with the Squirtle Squad, possibly make his join.
3- Pikachu wouldn't have been as famous as a mascot internationally. That is the reason why Clefairy isn't famous or wellknown despite being the purpoted "mascot character."

I would have liked it if Ash got Bulbasaur and had a team similar to Red's (from the Pokemon Special manga) Then Brock (or Gary) could have Charmander and Misty could have had Squritle.

And, assuming the league match-ups would have been the same- well, Harrison would have been owned...

3: He probably arrives in Viridian City AFTER Team Rocket.

Wouldn't he arrive BEFORE Team Rocket? I mean, the entire detour he took with Pikachu really slowed him down, I think that it took a day or more at least. He probably would have passed through Viridian without a second glance, with TR on the horizon.

And I don't think that Ash would have gotten the other starters without Pikachu. If I remember correctly, he had to battle Bulbasaur and Squirtle using Pikachu, which wouldn't have happened with a Squirtle as his starter. Though he would still have Squirtle. And I'm not sure on Charizard, he probably would have still found the Charmander.

But he would have used another Pokemon- he would still have gotten Bulbasaur.

And I don't think that Ash would have gotten the other starters without Pikachu. If I remember correctly, he had to battle Bulbasaur and Squirtle using Pikachu, which wouldn't have happened with a Squirtle as his starter. Though he would still have Squirtle. And I'm not sure on Charizard, he probably would have still found the Charmander.
well i believe starter squirtle could have beeten squirtle squad squirtle(not sure but didnt ash choose the path he went on and only got to veridian city faster becouse he ran from sparow)

well regardles of his starters if ash had cought that pidgey in ep 1 (or the one he owned) assuming it got stronger could have beeten bulbasuare then
charmander would have been found then he could use
bulbasure to beat squirtle (ash meet them in that order)
(also becouse squirtle & bulbasure liked him it's unkown if he had lost would they had followed him)

next Q...(8.do you think there is any chance sabrina the gym leader would have travled with ash for human experience even though she did'nt(in replace of misty is that a good gym leader reason)

Last edited:
Sabrina...no, not a chance...unless she would have been the Brock of the group...

I think it would have all been very similar. Except, he wouldn't have caught another Squirtle. He'd have captured another Pokemon. He wouldn't have Misty with him, as her bike would never be destroyed, but he could still get Brock with him after he beats Brock. So Kanto and Johto would be different as it would have been just him and Brock. Orange Islands would then just be Ash and Tracey, but then after Johto nothing would change, as it would be Ash, May, Max and Brock just like with Pikachu, then Sinnoh would be the same as well, but with Dawn.

His team line up would be the only thing majorly effected, I doubt he'd want 2 water types, so Squirtle, Totodile, Corphish and Buizel would probably all be gone. As Buizel was gone, maybe he'd have kept Aipom for a while and not traded to Dawn. The others would just be replaced with other pokemon he likes, so Muk would be on his Kanto team, and then I'm not sure about his Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh teams, but he'd catch something to fill the whole, maybe other electric types.

I was thinking about how the writers of the show choose Pikachu, because it's cute, lovable, a middle evolution, and decent, but not extremely strong.

Personally, I think they should have taken a different approach and given him a completely different Pokemon. Like Dragonite!

Everything would be so much better!
In Viridian Forest: "Nifty! A Caterpi! I'm going to catch it! I know! Dragonite! Use Slam!"
"...Uh oh Dragonite... I think we killed it..."

When Team Rocket first tries to steal Pikachu in the first Pokemon Center:
*Dragonite is lying in the gurny after being attack by Spearow (He's hurt from that??)*
*50 Dragonites pile on top of each other*
*Collective Thunder attack*
*Team Rocket dies right there and never bothers them again*

At Pewter City: "Oh no! My Dragonite's Electric attacks don't affect his Ground-type Pokemon! I'll come back after I've trained!"
*Does all of the training things, with the generator and the stuff*
Back at Pewter Gym: "All right! Dragonite... Thunder Wave! Now that Brock's Onix is paralyzed... Hyper Beam!"
*Brock never joins Ash because it's so bullshit to Dragonite as a starter and use it against the first Gym*

Wouldn't he arrive BEFORE Team Rocket? I mean, the entire detour he took with Pikachu really slowed him down, I think that it took a day or more at least. He probably would have passed through Viridian without a second glance, with TR on the horizon.
My theory was that, without a critically hurt Pikachu and being chased by Spearow, he would taken his time getting there.
Doesn't matter, though. Either way he is no longer constantly pestered by them.
...Unless they run into him somewhere else. They DO have schemes unrelated to him.

I'm pretty sure he didn't have to battle Squirtle--it just showed up and wanted to join him. Of course I doubt he'd get two of them.
Bulbasaur would be tricky, but Pikachu had a disadvantage, too--just only offensively and not defensively as well. If Ash still has Pidgeotto or such, they might stand a chance.
I'd give good odds he still gets Charmander--unless Pikachu's absence messes up the timing and he doesn't get there at the right time.

but he'd catch something to fill the whole, maybe other electric types.
Yeah, a new electric per region sounds fairly likely to me.

Personally, I think they should have taken a different approach and given him a completely different Pokemon. Like Dragonite!
:lol: Awesome. Someone should write a short parody fic about that.
Y'know, back in the old days of limited evolutions, I always thought that if Ash got a semi-legendary (Gio is flattered when he hears about Meowth's fantasies about him and Pikachu evolves...into a Luxray), Dragonite would be the most likely since it's still cute.

And you'd be surprised how many fanfics having starting trainers get Mew, or other Legendaries. A Dragonite is comparatively sane.

When Team Rocket first tries to steal Pikachu in the first Pokemon Center:
*Dragonite is lying in the gurny after being attack by Spearow (He's hurt from that??)*
Well, if there's still ANY sanity left, it'd be a very weak Dragonite (comparatively, atleast). I mean, Lance can have three illegally underpowered ones in the game, why can't the animeverse have one?

*50 Dragonites pile on top of each other*
*Collective Thunder attack*
*Team Rocket dies right there and never bothers them again*
Team Rocket appears to be completely immune to death by direct physical attack. They're just even less dangerous since a Dragonite is probably strong enough to physically tear their mecha apart, and they can't just use shock-proofing.

cool ash starting with dratini but i think it would still be 50pika's in center dratinis to rare to be that many out side there living area
no sabrina, saffron o.k(my next question if care to think about)

Q.9)do you think gary would be more popular ash wouldnt be as behin meaning more rival battles or does his car stop that stament

Q.10)do you think in kanto or johto duplica could have joined brock & ash she seems to know alot about attacks for coaching
(but the reason for her joining i cant think of one dont remember her 2 ep much)what u think

Q.11)would'nt ash and brock get constantly split up without someone to pull brock away from women

does this look like ashes kanto team
1.wartortle -starter
2.pidgeotto -of coures
3.pikachu -in "pikachu's goodbye" they stumble across many pikachu's
4.charizard/muk -depends if the starter change dont mess up the timeline to get charmander
5.bulbasure -pidgeotto could beat it
6.tauros/dratini/kangaskhan & any other pokemon in the zone-team rocket caused ash to catch many tauros if he didnt meet them he could have caught other pokemon in the safari zone

do you think it would have been like this

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom