• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh What if Gigantamax forms are Megas but supersized?

Defiant

Pokemon Gotta Catch ... Some Of Em ???
Reaction score
So I had this idea when discussing Gen 4 remakes and hadn't seen it discussed anywhere else.
What if the new forms Pokemon take when Gigantamaxed look the same as if they were Mega evolved.
So for Lucario, a Dynamaxed Lucario is just a larger version of Lucario, but a Gigantamaxed Lucario is a larger version of Mega Lucario.
Retrospectively, if something called Alcreminite existed, it would turn Alcremie into Mega Alcremie, which would be the wedding cake version, but a more manageable size.

In B2W2 Colress says he wants to find out more about the inner powers of Pokemon, he did this first with his devices, then in XY we saw Megas, then in SM we saw Z moves, now we know Max moves are similar to Z moves, so what if the forms/changes etc are similar to Megas? Gigantamaxing is like taking a different road, to end up at the same destination, albeit maybe Gigantamaxing is the more natural way.

So in potential Gen 4 remakes, when Cynthia's Garchomp Gigantamaxes, its appearance changes to what we recognise as Mega Garchomp, but it becomes massive and has Max moves?

This could also explain why specificially Megas and Z moves are removed, because Gigantamaxed Beedril is the same as Mega Beedril just larger, etc?

No... because that would put two labels on the same design, which would be confusing from a marketing perspective. Not to mention Charizard and Mewtwo's X and Y forms.

And considering you need technology to dynamax and the ominous clouds swirling above the giant pokemon's heads, I doubt it's more natural compared to your pokemon just reacting to stones and drawing energy from the bond between you and your pokemon.

There's a difference between the real life practical reason and the in-game lore reason.
Oh coming up with an in-game reason for why it's not available in Galar is easy- they just don't mention it. At all. Problem solved. XP

Heck, it needs about as much of an in-game lore reason as why you can't transfer some of your pokemon into the region. I doubt they're going to have something in the game going "Oh no, it's way too cold here for that pokemon!" It's just not going to be able to transfer. Bam, done.

I am wondering about something similar: how the maxing phenomenon essentially allows them to have a blank slate for what phenomena beyond evolution will be present in the Gen 4 remakes!

Perhaps they would like to include Megas but not Z-moves, or, maybe it even sets the stage for an unexpected new phenomenon.

I would be surprised to see maxing appear in the Gen 4 remakes but it is also very possible!
(However I do expect some version of it to be in Home unless there is no battling center/system within it.)

What if the new forms Pokemon take when Gigantamaxed look the same as if they were Mega evolved.
So for Lucario, a Dynamaxed Lucario is just a larger version of Lucario, but a Gigantamaxed Lucario is a larger version of Mega Lucario.
Retrospectively, if something called Alcreminite existed, it would turn Alcremie into Mega Alcremie, which would be the wedding cake version, but a more manageable size.

I can see some Mega forms being reused as a Pokémon’s Gigantamax form due to Megas’ iconicness and popularity, but I doubt Pokémon with only Gigantamax forms will later be given Megas since GameFreak would then have to add 100 base points to their stats and such.

The only in-lore reason I could think up is that SwSh takes place in a dimension where neither Megas nor Z-Moves exist... Which would mean that we'll have a third dimension which all of the main-line games could exist?
  1. The "Original Dimension" - Which encompasses Gens 1 through 5. Fairy never existed, and the meteor that brought the Mega Stones to the world never hit the planet.
  2. The "Mega Dimension" - Is just Gens 6 and 7 as Mega Evolution is present in both. Fairy-type was discovered as a separate type.
  3. The new "Dynamax Dimension" - The Mega Stone meteor never struck the planet, however, there does seem to be odd fissures appearing in the world that cause Pokemon to grow in size and sometimes change form along with the growth. Fairy-type was discovered as a separate type.
Z-Moves could exist in any of the dimensions, as Z-Crystals seems to be something only found in Alola.

No different universe, I easily believe everything since Gen 6 is still what we've come to know as the "Megaverse". But that doesn't necessarily imply that EVERY region has Mega Evolution, just that it exists in this universe vs. the other universe of Gens 1-5. Not having Mega Evolution in Galar is as simple as saying that there is no source of Key Stones or Mega Stones in this region. However, one of the rumors states there is a Battle Facility where a bunch of past trainers, much like the Battle Tree or PWT, can be battled. If this is the case, my reasoning wouldn't justify why THEY don't have Megas, since they do in Gen 7 games. I hope Dynamaxing can be a Galar-exclusive thing, and we'll see Megas come back in Sinnoh remakes, I mean we've seen Cynthia use Megas in Gen 7 so to just take Megas out before Sinnoh Pokemon truly had a chance to shine with them would be a disservice to fans who enjoyed Mega Evolution. I'm fine with Z-moves staying an Alola-exclusive thing because Z-crystals are tied to the Island Guardians and Trials, so in much the same way, the technology behind Dynamaxing and Gigantamaxing can stay A Galar-exclusive function. I would much prefer Megas stayed a staple in many games to come than to see Z-moves or Dynamaxing replace it, and we know for sure Z-moves aren't. It seems those will remain an Alola-only feature so I hope that decision is replicated with Dynamax.

I don't think that'd be the case. Mega Evolutions are what the name implies, an evolution. The pokemon changes to a new evolved stater. Gigantamaxing is but a shape change. They only transform rather than evolve. So in that case, no I don't think a pokemon would Gigantamax into their mega form

Oh coming up with an in-game reason for why it's not available in Galar is easy- they just don't mention it. At all. Problem solved. XP

Or even if they do mention it, they still don't have to actually make it available in the gameplay. Eggs are mentioned a couple of times in LGPE, but you still can't breed anything to produce them.

The timeline/universe discussions are pretty useless imo anyway since each game is its own timeline. That can pretty much handwave anything.
Yes. Each savefile is a timeline, and each generation is a multiverse of timelines. Some Pokémon got retconned in, and others got retconned out.
Also, it seems like only Gen VIII Pokémon and Galarian Formes will be able to Gigantamax. And only the ones catchable in Max Raid Battles, maybe also your starters.
While Mega Evolutions were given to old Pokémon. Many of which are not in Galar.

Yes. Each savefile is a timeline, and each generation is a multiverse of timelines. Some Pokémon got retconned in, and others got retconned out.
Also, it seems like only Gen VIII Pokémon and Galarian Formes will be able to Gigantamax. And only the ones catchable in Max Raid Battles, maybe also your starters.
While Mega Evolutions were given to old Pokémon. Many of which are not in Galar.
Nah, we will definitely be getting some non-Gen 8 Pokemon capable of gigantamaxing.

Nah, we will definitely be getting some non-Gen 8 Pokemon capable of gigantamaxing.
Yeah but it most likely won't be the ones who got Megas. But it likely will still only be for last stage Pokémon.
Beside Gen 8, I think that there will be Gigantamax Raichu and Persian.
Maybe also Gigantamax Reuniclus because of Bede.

We got Charizard, Mawile, Abomasnow, Gengar, Gardevoir and Gallade, Gyrados, Tyranitar, Manectric, Lucario, Steelix, and Glalie. That already is a huge chunk of pokemon that had megas

We got Charizard, Mawile, Abomasnow, Gengar, Gardevoir and Gallade, Gyrados, Tyranitar, Manectric, Lucario, Steelix, and Glalie. That already is a huge chunk of pokemon that had megas
Charizard won't be catchable, as it's a starter. If its in the dex it would only be in the dex for Leon and a few other trainer battles, unless there's a point in the story where someone gives you a Gen I starter that can Gigantamax when fully evolved, a la Kalos.

I think if any of them get a Gigantamax the design will be similiar to the Mega but with the red glow and red clouds. As it if was an artificial version of the Mega.
For example:

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom