• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh What if Gigantamax forms are Megas but supersized?

Starters have been catcheable through stuff like island scan, and Gigantamax abilities are seemingly exclusive to Max Raid battles, so it could just be a special raid.
It seems like that only the Pokémon in the Galar Dex are actually coded in the game. So maybe some of those Pokémon will still be in the dex but only avaliable through QR scan battles, some of which might be Max Raids.

Yeah but it most likely won't be the ones who got Megas.

Eh, considering several Pokémon that can Mega evolve are popular fan favorites I don’t think it’s a stretch to say at least some of them will get Gigantamax forms considering GameFreak’s track record. I doubt GameFreak could hold off on giving Charizard a shiny new form, for example, especially if it means Charizard won’t be able to become Fire/Dragon.

But it likely will still only be for last stage Pokémon.

According to the credible Affleck leak, Pikachu will receive a Gigantamax form. That might just be because Pikachu is special, though.

So maybe some of those Pokémon will still be in the dex but only avaliable through QR scan battles

I don’t think the Switch is capable of scanning QR codes though.

Eh, considering several Pokémon that can Mega evolve are popular fan favorites I don’t think it’s a stretch to say at least some of them will get Gigantamax forms considering GameFreak’s track record. I doubt GameFreak could hold off on giving Charizard a shiny new form, for example, especially if it means Charizard won’t be able to become Fire/Dragon.

According to the credible Affleck leak, Pikachu will receive a Gigantamax form. That might just be because Pikachu is special, though.

I don’t think the Switch is capable of scanning QR codes though.

Likely they're Gigantamax Pikachu and Gigantamax Persian instead.

It seems like that only the Pokémon in the Galar Dex are actually coded in the game. So maybe some of those Pokémon will still be in the dex but only avaliable through QR scan battles, some of which might be Max Raids.
I think they could just be rare wild pokemon. I mean even Leon has a Charizard, so this might be the first game that has starters out in the wild without any special means

I dont think so. I hope to see Gigantamax vs regular Megas

I think there is not only difference in moves. most D-max moves are what BP 100? G-max probaably 150?
I think status wise they will be stronger then megas around 650-750 stats or bigger.

Last edited:
But it likely will still only be for last stage Pokémon.

I know this post is rather old, but with the reveal of new GMax forms last Wednesday, I thought I'd return to the subject.

While we did get GMax forms for non-last stage Pokémon, I'd like to note that all three GMax forms are exclusive to gift Pokémon, and said gift Pokémon cannot evolve. So I think that, outside of this specific occasion, we will see GMax forms for only last stage Pokémon.

Oh wow even the gift meowth can't evolve? That's fascinating.

Not gonna lie though. I'd be 100% okay with not fully evolved pokemon getting a special form, but it goes away once you evolve it. If only because that means it could open the doors in a few generations for pokemon with mega evolutions to be allowed to get actual evolutions some day.

now I hope Gigantamax pokemon get type and ability changes like Megas but for 3 turns. Also should be possible.

now I hope Gigantamax pokemon get type and ability changes like Megas but for 3 turns. Also should be possible.

I don't know why yet they mentioned type in the gigantamax cards at the official site (even though all types stay the same).
If the type is not going to change, why to mention it?

How else would we know that the type didn’t change?

They could just say: "Gigantamaxing makes your pokemon stronger without changing its type", not with a card "Gigantamax Charizard - type: fire/flying". Why make a card in which type is an option if types are not going to change afterall?

They could just say: "Gigantamaxing makes your pokemon stronger without changing its type", not with a card "Gigantamax Charizard - type: fire/flying". Why make a card in which type is an option if types are not going to change afterall?
Because they want to keep us guessing. They don’t want to outright confirm it either way. Plus it leaves the door open for the type to be changed in the future.

They probably want to make the difference between all these forms clear cut. Even if Mega Evolution is gone, regional variants serve the purpose of changing typings and abilities.

We know that Megas and Z-moves are still in the same dimension thanks to the profesor of this region who compared the research of others with hers...

Cool would be if they change Gigantamax and add them other secondary types and other abilities when they form change too like they did it with Megas, then Blastoise and Venusaur should get something realy cool.

Could see Venuaur grass/dark europen forest motiv that the flover is off, then with cool ability.
Blastoise would be cool if the canons would go into steel or electric typing, electric would be cool.

New mechanics arent bad, but they could actually focus more on new pokes, abilities and add some of the old mechanics per 3 or 5 of ach kind next generations... without overcomplicating things too much again.

We would need a game focusing more on game play then new mechanic itself.

Do we have Professor Magnolia actually saying Dynamax are like Megas and Z-moves? They could have explained this away with yet another piece to the multiverse but NO!!!!

A lot of the Megas I could actually see transferring over to Gigantamax pretty easy - Beedrill, Pidgeot, and Gengar come to mind. There are a few, though, that wouldn't work that way and for me those are Lucario, Mewtwo and maybe Venusaur and Tyranitar.

Do we have Professor Magnolia actually saying Dynamax are like Megas and Z-moves? They could have explained this away with yet another piece to the multiverse but NO!!!!

A lot of the Megas I could actually see transferring over to Gigantamax pretty easy - Beedrill, Pidgeot, and Gengar come to mind. There are a few, though, that wouldn't work that way and for me those are Lucario, Mewtwo and maybe Venusaur and Tyranitar.

with Charizard we already know they are totaly new form changes not associated directly with Megas.

The Dynamax being Z-moves and Megas together is more of a developer explanation then in-game one.

I think GF wanted to have one singular ability that somehow is a mix of the other two, but less powerful, expecially in regards of Z-moves. many competitive players complained about the latter, and based on what they stated (even talking about internal test to balance the number of turns of it), they planned the Dynamax/Gigantamax thinking about competitive first.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom