• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh What if Gigantamax forms are Megas but supersized?

The Dynamax being Z-moves and Megas together is more of a developer explanation then in-game one.

I think GF wanted to have one singular ability that somehow is a mix of the other two, but less powerful, expecially in regards of Z-moves. many competitive players complained about the latter, and based on what they stated (even talking about internal test to balance the number of turns of it), they planned the Dynamax/Gigantamax thinking about competitive first.

That might be their intention, but I find it hard to believe that Dynamaxing is going to be remotely balanced given their past track record.

That's something we'll see after the release and when the competitive scene starts to switch to SwSh. I don't think in any case they could be as bad as Z-moves.

Which z moves were used that caused people to think they are more broken than max moves? 1 z move without items sounds worse than 3 weaker z moves boosted by items such as the choice items or being used by a Pokemon wearing assault vest/evolite for maximum bulk

Last edited:
Which z moves were used that caused people to think they are more broken than max moves? 1 z move without items sounds worse than 3 weaker z moves boosted by items such as the choice items or assault vest/evolite for maximum bulk
There are pros and cons involved with Dynamax compared to Z-moves, and the fact that the former don't require items is a distinct advantage. But not having stat boosts like Megas make Dyna Pokèmon still vulnerable. Giga Charizard, even with Assault Vest, isn't going to resist much against Rock moves.

Also, there's the fact that if you use the Dynamax Pokèmon first, and your opponent predicts you and manage to resist for one turn without taking too many damages, he can use his Dyna Pokèmon later and having it last longer then yours. It's a strategic move and you have to use it carefully.

Z-moves are far safer in comparison, as they only need one turn to be used. True, they can be protected (As Dynamax moves can), but even in that case, you don't lose a lot of advantage. They're high-risk, low-reward moves. Using the Dynamax at the right time is key to winning.

But it could very well end up in another balance mess, so as I said early, we'll just have to wait and see.

I think all 3 mechanics will get to battle each other in future.
They will probably add relations between Max moves , Max Guard and Z-moves and Megas will play a interesting role in all of it.
G-max , mega, z-moves? would be interesting to see colisions and crossovers between them.

We still don't know whats the diffrence between Dyna and Giganta , currently only the G-move.

There are pros and cons involved with Dynamax compared to Z-moves, and the fact that the former don't require items is a distinct advantage. But not having stat boosts like Megas make Dyna Pokèmon still vulnerable. Giga Charizard, even with Assault Vest, isn't going to resist much against Rock moves.

Also, there's the fact that if you use the Dynamax Pokèmon first, and your opponent predicts you and manage to resist for one turn without taking too many damages, he can use his Dyna Pokèmon later and having it last longer then yours. It's a strategic move and you have to use it carefully.

Z-moves are far safer in comparison, as they only need one turn to be used. True, they can be protected (As Dynamax moves can), but even in that case, you don't lose a lot of advantage. They're high-risk, low-reward moves. Using the Dynamax at the right time is key to winning.

But it could very well end up in another balance mess, so as I said early, we'll just have to wait and see.

But Dynamaxed Pokemon do have their HP boosted by 50% and we have no idea what "Dynamax levels" entail. That is why I talked about bulk.

Secondly, needing to Dynamax to counter a dynamax is in itself a balancing problem. I am not a fan of battle gimmicks in general, but dynamax is my least favorite in terms of aesthetics. I shouldn't feel like I'm forced to use a mechanic/Pokemon I dislike just because it is really good.

But Dynamaxed Pokemon do have their HP boosted by 50% and we have no idea what "Dynamax levels" entail. That is why I talked about bulk.

Secondly, needing to Dynamax to counter a dynamax is in itself a balancing problem. I am not a fan of battle gimmicks in general, but dynamax is my least favorite in terms of aesthetics. I shouldn't feel like I'm forced to use a mechanic/Pokemon I dislike just because it is really good.
I don’t know if I mentioned it or not, but I was talking purely from the standpoint on how the mechanics works, not the aesthetics.

I don’t mind that much, but I can definitely see how there’ll be a part of the community that won’t like the mechanics due to aesthetics. I was just analyzing how
it works compared to the rest. For me a lot would depend on the lore of Dynamax/Gigantamax. I like Megas in terms of appearance but loathe the lore on uso the use of it makes Pokémon suffer in the way the entries say.

About the Dynamax level, yes it’s also something to consider, but it’s also something unknown at this point, so I can’t judge it for now.

I am definitely aware they're not directly associated, but having Gigantamax Beedrill be Giant Mega Beedrill is just the sort of troll move I can see Game Freak making lol.

hope they stop trolling, would be better if unused bug types get attention now.
Especially that Infestation as Gmax effect could be actually cool.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom