• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What if "Human" was in the Pokedex?

Jimlaad43

Razer-Rotom
Reaction score
Here's an interesting question.

If Humans were Pokemon, what...
  1. Type combination would they have?
  2. What abilities could they have?
  3. What would the base stats be?
  4. What moves could they use?
  5. And then just other things like Base Friendship, Leveling Rate, EV Yield, Pokedex colour etc...

I think Normal type could be a sensible pick, though Dark and Fighting are also good contenders. I picked Dark because humans are inherently operate off of self interest. Many of us can and would do some "dark" things if the situation was right, and then some of us are just plain wicked. Although, that could apply to pretty much any animal, so it might not be fair to throw us under the bus like that. However, I think Fighting is more or less a no-brainer. If we were to engage in combat, our fists are our only line of defense (or whichever body part you choose to employ). We can't shoot water or fire like some pokemon species. I don't think it's fair to count weapons here, since it's not a natural ability, and a non-human species could also potentially use the same weapon.

As far as abilities, the ones that make the most sense to me are Anger Point, Defeatist, Cute Charm, Gluttony, Intimidate, and Iron Fist. My reasonings:
Anger Point: Most animals will flee if you hit them, but I think most people would just get pissed (unless they were injured to the point of regressing to instinctual behavior).
Defeatist: We tend to be discouraged when we're losing. This one has similar psychological implications as it does physical, so I figured it fits us better than your average animal.
Cute Charm: I think we can be susceptible to attraction/arousal on many forms of contact. Our social habits make this action more implicative than simpler animals.
Gluttony: Not only are we very gluttonous beings indeed, but I think we have the intelligence to preemptively use the tools available to us.
Intimidate: Most animals are very afraid of humans.
Iron Fist: Our primary weapons are our fists, so it makes sense than we'd be most proficient with them.

Looking at the full list of pokemon abilities, you could make a case for a lot of them, but some of them are reaching, and others are just very general-case for most animals.

I think base stats would vary wildly. I'm thinking a mechanic like Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist, but applied to the whole spectrum. A human's physical abilities can just have such a huge range depending on how they spend their time. This isn't even considering diseases and genetics, either.

I think most physical contact moves without an elemental aspect could be feasible for a human to use. You could go potentially for things like Leer, Growl, Tail Whip...but I can't imagine any of those being anything but hilarious. :p

Base friendship would probably be low, as most humans would lament being put into a master-servant position as a pokemon. Habitat is anything and everything; we've surpassed being bound by the ecosystem. And no matter which single "pokedex color" you choose to name, someone is going to be pissed off, lol.

I think Dark/Fighting is the best type. Most Humans are very willing to use underhanded techniques when shit hits the fan.

Special attack would be by default 0.

But definitely, the stats vary wildly.

Someone like Dennis Rogers (strongman capable of snapping a wrench in two with his bare hands) will have much higher strength than say, Usain Bolt. On the flipside, Usain Bolt's speed is probably much higher.

On that note, Fling and Rock Throw would be almost tailor-made for the Human moveset. Think about it, what is the world's most common weapon? That's right. The thrown rock.

No, human will always be normal-type in general. Dark and fighting is only for the specially-trained people like criminals and soldiers.
No....... On the second thought, criminals and soldiers are also normal-type. Just with better stats than average civilians.

But, even it is normal-type, it doesn't limit some people to learn dark or fighting type moves, just like how many of the normal-type Pokemon can learn non-normal-type moves.

Regarding on the abilities, .......well, depending on your personality and characteristics. I just don't think there will be an "universal ability" that every single human will share. Therefore, I don't agree with any of the abilities that @Serpentsounds had mentioned.
But, just one thing for sure that it will always be abilities about the mental states, human just will never contains any of the abilities related to the physical body.

Edit: Ah, BTW, IMO the most common weapon for human is not throwing rocks, but pick up any sort of stick/club/wand/cudgel/bludgeon-like item on the ground and hit the opponent directly with it (I won't even have time to go look for rocks to throw in case of emergency). So Bone Rush (ah, Club Rush?) should be the common shared move for all human species.

Last edited:
I'm on about Humans on Average.

1) Yeah, Normal, Dark or Fighting are really the only types Human can have. I thought maybe Psychic, but they're all Special moves, which Humans can't do.

2) Serpentsounds kinda answered this right.

3) Humans are Endurance animals, so the Human Pokemon would need massive HP, that is the strongest stat. Attack would be average, but defense would be quite high. Humans are good at recovering and surviving injuries. Special Attack - Low, as there are some moves Humans can use, Special defense would be rather high, but again, not brilliant. Speed would be quite decent too.

4) Right, this may take a while (I'm not going to list any status moves) (Physical | Special)

• Normal: Barrage, Body Slam, Chip Away, Comet Punch, Covet, Double Slap, Double Edge, (Egg Bomb), Feint, Flail, Frustration, Giga Impact, Headbutt, Mega Kick, Mega Punch, Pound, Rage, Return, Rock Climb, Scratch, Smelling Salts, Stomp, Strength, Struggle, Tackle, Take Down. | Echoed Voice, Round, Snore,
  • Fighting: Arm Thrust, Brick Break, Close Combat, Cross Chop, Double Kick, Dynamic Punch, Focus Punch, Hammer Arm, High Jump Kick, Jump Kick, Karate Chop, Low Kick, Low Sweep, Mach Punch, Rock Smash, Rolling Kick, Seismic Toss, Sky Uppercut, Submission, Triple Kick, Vital Throw, Wake-Up Slap. |
  • Dark: Beat Up, Feint Attack, Fling, Foul Play, Knock Off, Night Slash, Pursuit, Sucker Punch, Thief. | Snarl
  • Water: Dive
  • Flying: | Chatter
  • Poison: | Belch
  • Ground: | Mud Bomb, Mud Shot, Mud-Slap
  • Rock: Head Smash, Rock Blast, Rock Slide, Rock Thow, Rock Tomb, Smack Down |
  • Ghost: Astonish |
  • Steel: Heavy Slam |
  • Fairy: Play Rough | Disarming Voice

Some people may disagree, but that's what I thought.

5) Base Friendship would be low, as stated before. Leveling Rate would be one of the slowest, Humans take ages to grow up. Humans would probably give an HP EV, as that is their strong point. Pokedex colour is an interesting problem. Maybe Pink or Brown, but I'm not too sure.

Just normal type in general, I think. The human race is so vast and diverse, it could be one of those Pokémon species with different forms- Normal by default, but it changes depending on what form you choose.

Just normal type in general, I think. The human race is so vast and diverse, it could be one of those Pokémon species with different forms- Normal by default, but it changes depending on what form you choose.

That sounds good. Maybe you could have it work like Meloetta's move where a human would gain a secondary typing of Dark, Fighting, or Psychic but still keep it's normal typing.

Also, I have to disagree with everyone about humans having crummy psychic abilities. The games and anime have clearly shown that there are people that can use psychic abilities (Sabrina, psychic trainers, hexmaniacs). So at the very least humans should have bad through average special attack.

Its primary type would be Normal but has different secondary depending on its "form".
A really intelligent human could be Normal/Psychic while a mean spirited human would be Normal/Dark.
Vegans may be Normal/Grass and good-natured humans could be Normal/Fighting. And the list goes on and on.

I imagine the type of an human would depend on its personality and stuff. Because humans would not just be one Pokèmon as the actual pokes were created by Arceus but the humans are apparently born from natural evolution and most other natural evolution-ish animals are slowly going extinct, but since humans befriended pokèmon and sometimes married them, i guess that some modern humans in that world have pokèmon ancestry or something, so they could get ancestral types from whatever pokes married their ancestors. So it would be kinda genetic in that way.

Let's say Ash is Electric\Ground and Misty is Rock\Fighting. Theyr kid is Jyuuri\Julie who is seen at the start of the trailer of the first movie. (even tho that could easily be a random schoolkid\the blue-haired teacher's pupil as Pokèmon is also a show about friendship) Jyuuri has pink hair, not because she's adopted, but b\c she got Psychic\Grass types due to her personality.

Sunset Valley (TS3) has zodiac signs based on personality, so the Pokèmon World could easily have types based on personality!

And twins can get separated at birth due to, say, one of them gets kidnapped by a member of Team insertnamehere, and the other is sent to live with family friends at the age of, say, 3, due to her parents' fiery death. So when both of the twins are living separately, due to their diff. upbringings one of them grows up as a Water\Flying and the other as a Fighting\Rock but both of them were originally pure Grass.

This is also why some people have weird hair-color, it is not actually genetic redhead\blonde and other, it's due to abundance of strain of certain types due to several traits of parents and also traits someone grows up with. A complete change in personality or even bipolarity can cause you to have two-colored hair. Same for eye color. Yeah this means Barry and Bianca would not actually be biologically related, they just happens to have the same type, like both of them are Flying\Psychic for example, causing them to develop similiarly.

Me trying to figure out base stats for humans:
I'm going to try to narrow down what humans' base stats should be.

Speed is wildly inconsistent in between pokemon, as you all know (Grumpig base 80 while Nidorino is base 65, Emboar and Remoraid tied for speed, Miltank at base 100, the list goes on...). But we'll have to ignore some of the outliers.

Humans are definitely below base 100, because that is Dodrio, Linoone, Staraptor, Blaziken, Zapdos, and Flygon's speed tier, and those are all definitely faster than humans. Base 95 is a little closer, which is where Pachirisu, Sawsbuck, Houndoom, Arcanine, and Primeape sit. The real world equivalent of those pokemon are still faster than humans, but not in an entirely different class. So let's go a little bit lower. Base 90 is Lucario, Zangoose, Roserade, Kangaskhan, Vigoroth, and Meowth. This seems reasonable for an athletic person. But as we all know, 2/3 of Americans are overweight, and some people egregiously so, and so for the speed range I'm going to give 5-90

Attack can come next. Let's start off optimistic and work our way down. 105 contains pokemon such as Victreebel, Feraligatr, Hitmonchan, Primeape, and Aerodactyl. This is probably a little much, seeing as great apes can beat things to death on a completely different level than humans can. 100 contains Machoke, Dusknoir, Carnivine, Sandslash, Seviper, and Shiftry. I would even say that humans are not at this level, but it is getting closer. Machoke is basically a super-human, after all, and people aren't about to fight a badger-type thing like Sandslash. Base 95 is Parasect (presumably for its strong grip), Graveler, Poliwrath, Solrock, Greninja, and Magmortar. This may be a little optimistic, but I feel like a trained human at full capacity could compete on this level. The range for human attack can therefore be 5-95.

The only way to really determine a HP stat is to assume that it reflects endurance. This should be one of the humans' strong points, so let's see where to start. This is sort of hard, but if we look at the pokemon with high HP stats that are roughly comparable to real animals, we see that Rhyperior is 115; Mamoswine, Emboar, Walrein, and Mandibuzz are 110; Kangaskhan, Skuntank, and Honchkrow are between 100 and 105. Humans can definitely run down the 100 to 105 group, and seem
to be more on equal footing with the 100 group, at least in my opinion, especially considering Mamoswine is there. It may be a slightly pessimistic estimate, but I hesitate at going any higher than 110 because of the pokemon that are up there like Throh, another "super-human". So I'm giving the range for HP/endurance to be 5-110

Defense should be fairly easy to measure, and I don't expect it to be too high. Remember, this is a naked/cloth wearing human, not someone wearing plate armor and with a shield. Ursaring, Granbull, Heracross, and Sawk are all base 75, and I assume people will agree with me in that these animals can take a hit better than humans, even though offense is still their primary method of defending themselves. If we drop down to base 70 we see Golbat, Jumpluff, Camerupt, Mightyena, Mantine, Pachirisu, Dodrio, Cherrim, Kecleon, and Rapidash. This category is honestly too diverse and nonsensical, so it might be where we could leave humans, but let's drop down one more just to make sure. At base 65 we have Snorlax (!), Ambipom, Grumpig, Girafarig, Delcatty, Gardevoir, Poliwhirl, and tons of other humanoid and mammal creatures. I feel more comfortable putting humans in with the mammal tier of defense, so I'll go with 5-65 for a defense stat.

Special attack I'm not sure how to handle. This reflects humans' ability to use moves that do not make contact with the foe, and yet we do not have access to many of these abilities. Echoed Voice, Chatter, Snarl, Snore, Round, Belch, Uproar, and Disarming Voice are all shouting to inflict damage, so the stat should reflect the effectiveness of these moves. We need to look at pokemon whose special attack is PRIMARILY a reflection of their ability to cause damage by yelling/screaming, of which there are very few. This may seem very harsh, but humans are not able to actually inflict damage with sound waves, only intimidate (except under very specific circumstances). So any pokemon that learns Hyper Voice must have a higher special attack stat, meaning that humans are below Sentret at base 35. Some humans can probably scream really loudly in certain situations and sort of hurt people's ears, but it would not be able to be a sustained attack. Let's take pity on ourselves and give us a 5-30 range for special attack here.

Special defense is actually really difficult. This is the ability to defend against ranged moves but is decidedly not related to the ability to dodge said move. Meaning, humans would not get points for moving away from a Flamethrower, but from being able to stand directly in it. If anyone wants to tackle Sp. Def, go ahead, because I don't think I can do it.

Last edited:
Humans: Methane.

No but really, I would say they'd probably be Normal type, with a decent Attack and Defense, and maybe Speed. Don't know how Special Attack and Special Defense would work.

Don't know how Special Attack and Special Defense would work.

In my post, I estimated Special Attack like this: Our only special moves are the sound-based ones like Uproar, so I guessed out Sp Att based on our ability to do damage with these abilities (which is low...)

I think a Human line would work like the Eevee-line. Our surroundings play a major part on what we become, and we all have our own '' paths '' in life, that we follow. Thus, having different kind of evolutions depending on one thing or another. But instead of a monotype evolution, primary type would always be Normal.

Normal and Fighting type would be most likely for a human. It wouldn't be dark type because they can be affected by psychic attacks while dark types are immune to them.

Name:Human
Species ID:000
Type:Normal most of the time
Height:Varies
Weight:Varies
Classification:Intelligent Primate Pokemon

"This pokemon is an anomaly because most of the species have no way to use their powers like other pokemon and rely on their developed brains to get around in life.Overtime they took over the entire planet with their technology and even usurped and conquered their stronger superpowered pokemon brethren creating the world you see today.Some rare specimen can control supernatural force like chi or psi meaning they are either Normal/Fightning or Normal Psychic typing,however these specimens are very rare in the world."

Name:Human
Species ID:000
Type:Normal most of the time
Height:Varies
Weight:Varies
Classification:Intelligent Primate Pokemon

"This pokemon is an anomaly because most of the species have no way to use their powers like other pokemon and rely on their developed brains to get around in life.Overtime they took over the entire planet with their technology and even usurped and conquered their stronger superpowered pokemon brethren creating the world you see today.Some rare specimen can control supernatural force like chi or psi meaning they are either Normal/Fightning or Normal Psychic typing,however these specimens are very rare in the world."
Your little description of humans does make me laugh a little, because it shows that we are in no way better than pokemon. Our only advantage over most of the pokemon is our brain, and many pokemon like Alakazam, Metagross, and Xatu are smarter than us. Metagross is better than humans in literally every single way, and yet somehow humans took over the planet instead.

Sort of makes you wonder if these pokemon were wise enough to leave nature to its own course.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom