• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What if next generation will be again with Ash, Brock and the new coordinator girl?

Re: What if next generation will be again with Ash, Brock and the new coordinator gir

Overall Contests freshness is long gone, and they don't seem to be as popular overall as they were when they were originally introduced.

And you are basing this in...?C´mon Scott!Numbers!Statistics!I want numbers to make a statement based on popularity!

Well,in my opinion Contest are more popular than they were before.How would you counter that?

Re: What if next generation will be again with Ash, Brock and the new coordinator gir

Well,in my opinion Contest are more popular than they were before.How would you counter that?

How so? All throughout DP I saw people constantly talking about how they liked the Paul rivalry, how great Ash's Sinnoh team was, and when the next Gym battle was.

With Contest, I didn't see anywhere near that level of excitement.

Case in point, Ash Vs. Paul in the league is a far more anticipated match than Dawn Vs. Zoey is. How can anyone deny that?

From what I've seen so far of the Contests in AG (currently watching ep 352, and seen all of D&P), I prefer the Sinnoh Contests by far. No idea if they were more popular back then or today, but the ones today are definitely more interesting.

Contest Rivals... well, I dunno... none of them seem very interesting, to me. The only Hoenn one I've seen so far is Drew, and he comes off more as kinda silly than anything else. And Dawn's rivals, while a bit better, still don't measure up to Dawn herself. Maybe that's just he nature of contests, though... it's not as easy to take a contest rivalry as seriously as it is for one of Ash's rivals.

Contest Rivals... well, I dunno... none of them seem very interesting, to me. The only Hoenn one I've seen so far is Drew, and he comes off more as kinda silly than anything else. And Dawn's rivals, while a bit better, still don't measure up to Dawn herself. Maybe that's just he nature of contests, though... it's not as easy to take a contest rivalry as seriously as it is for one of Ash's rivals.

Watch more of them, they get more interesting as it progresses.

How so? All throughout DP I saw people constantly talking about how they liked the Paul rivalry, how great Ash's Sinnoh team was, and when the next Gym battle was.

With Contest, I didn't see anywhere near that level of excitement.

Case in point, Ash Vs. Paul in the league is a far more anticipated match than Dawn Vs. Zoey is. How can anyone deny that?
And all throughtout DP I saw people contantly talking about appealshipping,how cute piplub was,how funny bunneary crush for pikachu was,how nice(albeit it seemed similar to charizard) Mamoswine story was...

The hoenn leage and the gyms were more expected than any of the grand festivals and contest.That has not changed.So I cant see how an increase in the interest for Ash´s rivalities(they didnt exist in Hoenn,in fact)and Gym battles(I havent seen this at all,they seem as ecxpected as they were three gens ago...)means a decrease in interest for contest.

And all throughtout DP I saw people contantly talking about appealshipping,how cute piplub was,how funny bunneary crush for pikachu was,how nice(albeit it seemed similar to charizard) Mamoswine story was...

Sure. But Ash's story this gen definitely overshadowed Dawn's by far. As far as I can tell, no rivalry was as closely followed as Ash/Paul in the fandom. I mean we're comparing Paul to Zoey here, what do you expect?

means a decrease in the interest for contest.

The freshness of contests is long gone. The only reason it wouldn't be for some is if they watched the DP saga first and didn't see the original contests till later on.

They probably gave Jessie a subplot this saga because they felt the contest cast couldn't carry itself this time.

Sure. But Ash's story this gen definitely overshadowed Dawn's by far. As far as I can tell, no rivalry was as closely followed as Ash/Paul in the fandom. I mean we're comparing Paul to Zoey here, what do you expect?

Ash story will ALWAYS overshaw the other stories.It happened in Hoenn too.Just look at the "most epic battles"thread,its common to see no-contest battles mentioned at all,and let all the battles are about Ash.Just becouse A is more popular than A was before,does not mean that B is less popular than it was before,even less when B has always been less popular than A.You cant prove that B is more popular than B was before with such a relation.

The freshness of contests is long gone. The only reason it wouldn't be for some is if they watched the DP saga first and didn't see the original contests till later on.

They probably gave Jessie a subplot this saga because they felt the contest cast couldn't carry itself this time.

I watched the Kanto Saga first.All the way throught DP,with some breaks between Jotho,Hoenn,the BF and the beggining of Sinnoh.And contest still seem fresh to me,becouse at the end of the day,a a fun short battle where unevoled pokemon dont need to prove anything and the way to win is throught coordination and perfection with your pokemon....such a thing feels fresh after watching so many battles about "look this is so similar to EV IVS!!11"and "Oh man so many ubers and *insert another competitive-related term*".

Or they continnued her subplot since she had to keep growing as a character(Someone from the roketshipping thread could explain it further than I ,I assure you xD)

Oh well! I'll still watch no matter what, but I'd rather there be a boy coordinator, and a female battler.

Misty is the only constant battler out of Ash's friends, no one can deny that!

Or they continnued her subplot since she had to keep growing as a character(Someone from the roketshipping thread could explain it further than I ,I assure you xD)

Yeah, and the only reason they probably did is how poorly received the DP coordinator cast was at the start.

I remember Zoey/Kenny being flat-out hated when DP first started, simply because AG was still fresh in everyones mind and we had just come off the Kanto Grand Festival. It wasn't until half-way through DP that people began to warm up to them.

Kenny...never really became popular, (probably why the writers axed him the way they did at the GF), and opinion on Zoey always seemed mixed. Some people like her, others find her boring. I think she's OK overall.

The only reason Contests even became a staple of the series is because how popular they were back in Hoenn. Its possible Contests could have been done away with after a single region, but May's story was popular enough to get a second arc. They continued contests in DP hoping to achieve the same results.

Contests are definitely nowhere near as popular as they used to be. I even like Dawn's contest arc but I know the sense of excitement in the fandom was mixed since everyone liked Ash/Paul more.

To all teenagers and adults complaining about the direction the show has taken:

If you are looking for a high-quality cartoon to enjoy, you're looking in the wrong place. Taking a step back, it's a pretty cheap show with a simple premise that creates massive ratings (at least in Japan) simply by existing, with minimal effort. That's not to say you can't enjoy it. I do. But if you expect the writers to make artistically sound choices, you're delusional. This show isn't even written for people who are going to see more than one full generation, so they don't care if it gets stale.

Continue to enjoy the nostalgia and/or Pokémon-ness of it, or find another show to watch.

I also find it hilarious that people are acting like Dawn being replaced is a big deal. So in other words replacing the, "replacement," is something major?

Dawn's not the original coordinator, nor is she the one that made Contests popular to begin with. Dawn was the start of bringing in a token new character every saga, (unlike May, who was a fresh new idea at the time with a NEW goal), so no, axing Dawn with yet another main girl isn't a big deal.

I guess these Dawn fans were completely oblivious to the fact that most of us watched this happen two times before?

I don't really think they oppose it on principle, they just oppose it because they like Dawn. Which is perfectly fine, as long as they don't try to claim otherwise.

I also find it hilarious that people are acting like Dawn being replaced is a big deal. So in other words replacing the, "replacement," is something major?

Dawn's not the original coordinator, nor is she the one that made Contests popular to begin with. Dawn was the start of bringing in a token new character every saga, (unlike May, who was a fresh new idea at the time with a NEW goal), so no, axing Dawn with yet another main girl isn't a big deal.

I thought it went Misty was "replaced" by May, then Dawn "replaced" the replacement, and now the replacement will replace the replacement of the first replacement.

I mean there's the semantics of contests, but people really just look at Token Girl, as Token Girl, regardless of what's she's doing. I mean she's just so expendable, it doesn't even matter.

I thought it went Misty was "replaced" by May, then Dawn "replaced" the replacement, and now the replacement will replace the replacement of the first replacement.

I mean there's the semantics of contests, but people really just look at Token Girl, as Token Girl, regardless of what's she's doing. I mean she's just so expendable, it doesn't even matter.

When May was introduced, the concept of, "token female" wasn't established yet. There was no indication how long May would last or if they were going to go back to Misty.

However once May was replaced by Dawn, then the formula was set in motion.

Yeah, and the only reason they probably did is how poorly received the DP coordinator cast was at the start.

Since when was the DP cast poorly recieved? Wait, are you talking about about the main cast or the rivals? I can understand the rivals being poorly recieved, but the DP trio? Nah.

The only reason Contests even became a staple of the series is because how popular they were back in Hoenn. Its possible Contests could have been done away with after a single region, but May's story was popular enough to get a second arc. They continued contests in DP hoping to achieve the same results.

They didn't do it because of the popularity, they did it because they needed a filler arc. The writer's don't care about the fans, unfortunately.

I guess these Dawn fans were completely oblivious to the fact that most of us watched this happen two times before?

So what? I've been through May and Misty's replacement. Us Dawn fans can't be mad that our favorite girl might be getting replaced within a few months? That's just not right, dude...

Also, I don't remember contests being anywhere near as popular as it is now.

So what? I've been through May and Misty's replacement. Us Dawn fans can't be mad that our favorite girl might be getting replaced within a few months? That's just not right, dude...

You can be disappointed that a character you like is leaving, but I don't understand why this is a "shock" or "big deal" anymore.

Both Misty and May leaving was a surprise at the time, given the lack of foreshadowing and us not knowing the female replacement formula at the time.

Dawn fans had seen this happen twice before. Thinking Dawn was "immune" to this simply 'cause of her co-star status is unlikely.

You can be disappointed that a character you like is leaving, but I don't understand why this is a "shock" or "big deal" anymore.

Both Misty and May leaving was a surprise at the time, given the lack of foreshadowing and us not knowing the female replacement formula at the time.

Dawn fans had seen this happen twice before. Thinking Dawn was "immune" to this simply 'cause of her co-star status is unlikely.

I could guarrantee you that you'd be shocked/dissappointed that Dawn is leaving if you were a fan of hers.

But you gotta admit, Dawn's co-star status does give her a slightly higher chance of staying then Misty or May had.

I could guarrantee you that you'd be shocked/dissappointed that Dawn is leaving if you were a fan of hers.

But you gotta admit, Dawn's co-star status does give her a slightly higher chance of staying then Misty or May had.

Yeah, I have to admit I've come to like Dawn's character in my watching of D&P. I'll be sad to see her go... and especially Buneary and Pachirisu (they're so damn cute :kawaii:)

I like Dawn (although I'm not a huge fan like others are), but I have no problems seeing her depart. I was more shocked when Misty and then May left.

With Dawn its like, "Eh, I've seen this happen twice before, its no big deal."

Dawn isn't being shoved down our throats,

Yeah, ever since she stopped taking up front spot on the eyecatches, her theme stopped being played as the ED song.... =P

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom