• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What if next generation will be again with Ash, Brock and the new coordinator girl?

Re: What if next generation will be again with Ash, Brock and the new coordinator gir

I like Dawn (although I'm not a huge fan like others are), but I have no problems seeing her depart. I was more shocked when Misty and then May left.

With Dawn its like, "Eh, I've seen this happen twice before, its no big deal."

It gets lesser and lesser with each departure.

With Misty, I didn't have the internet (well it was slow and I didn't know about forums yet), and I was really shocked and surprised.

With May, I knew, but it was sort of "Her too? Man..."

Now with Dawn I'm basically used to it and I welcome the change now. 4 years is a lot for any characters (which is why I wish Brock would go, but eh).

Re: What if next generation will be again with Ash, Brock and the new coordinator gir

True. I can't possibly feel any emotion towards Dawn's departure, because I expected it when she was introduced right from the beginning.

Contests aren't "new" or "fresh" anymore, so I don't see why they're using that excuse either. They sure as hell won't keep characters like Zoey/Kenny in the anime after DP either.

Here's hoping the next girl doesn't come off as an Ash clone with a skirt.

(which is why I wish Brock would go, but eh).

Nah, if Brock leaves then there'll be nobody to harass Nurse Joys and Officer Jennies.

Although I know I'm hoping where there's absolutely no hope, I'd kind of like to see an anime counterpart of Leaf from Fr/Lg as the next companion. Personally I think it should've been done during the Battle Frontier arc through Kanto, but hey, whatever.

Although I know I'm hoping where there's absolutely no hope, I'd kind of like to see an anime counterpart of Leaf from Fr/Lg as the next companion. Personally I think it should've been done during the Battle Frontier arc through Kanto, but hey, whatever.

Leaf should have appeared like Lyra did in DP.

I doubt she would have replaced May though, as Leaf would only be around for a short time before getting replaced by Dawn, and May's character/Contests were too popular at the time to be dropped after only Hoenn anyway.

It gets lesser and lesser with each departure.

With Misty, I didn't have the internet (well it was slow and I didn't know about forums yet), and I was really shocked and surprised.

With May, I knew, but it was sort of "Her too? Man..."

Now with Dawn I'm basically used to it and I welcome the change now. 4 years is a lot for any characters (which is why I wish Brock would go, but eh).
you see im quite different, i grow an attachment to each of the cast members. i felt sad when misty left, and i felt sad when may left. and ill especially feel sad when dawn leaves, seeing as she, IMO had the most character development then either of the other two girls. as for the comment on Brock, really? he and ash are practically like brothers, and plus he has one of the best running gags for the show.
True. I can't possibly feel any emotion towards Dawn's departure, because I expected it when she was introduced right from the beginning.

Contests aren't "new" or "fresh" anymore, so I don't see why they're using that excuse either. They sure as hell won't keep characters like Zoey/Kenny in the anime after DP either.

like stated in the other comment, im indifferent, and will miss dawn equally (more so actually) because of the character development they had given her.

contests, eh, well i don't hate them, but i not to particularity fond of them either, that is until this season rolled along. now i love them. but i wont care if they get rid of them, but will feel just a tiny bit sad.

I'm indifferent about Contest staying because it would mean a third character doing the same thing yet again. They've clearly run out of ideas for the appeals and character interaction.

Dawn is doing almost the same Icebeam appeals with her Buneary that May did with her Skitty and Squirtle back in AG.

How many times can they show appeals with sparkles and rainbows before it gets old?

I'm indifferent about Contest staying because it would mean a third character doing the same thing yet again. They've clearly run out of ideas for the appeals and character interaction.

Dawn is doing almost the same Icebeam appeals with her Buneary that May did with her Skitty and Squirtle back in AG.

How many times can they show appeals with sparkles and rainbows before it gets old?

rhetorical question?

Well, Buneary makes Skitty look like a Muk, so that probably helps.

On top of that, the character interaction in the DP contests was dull at best.

Zoey comes off as Dawn's mentor more than her rival. Kenny's personality is pretty much the same as any filler kids on the show, and the writers didn't handle him well at all. Nando has a grand total of 3 appearances before the GF.

The only rivalry I really liked was Ursula's, and Jessie if she counts. And on top of that, it feels like its watered down from what it used to be.

I agree fully. As you've touched on, I do think Jessie has become much more interesting thanks to the Sinnoh contests.

I agree fully. As you've touched on, I do think Jessie has become much more interesting thanks to the Sinnoh contests.

I strongly believe Jessie was made into a more competent coordinator this time around because the regular contest rivals couldn't carry the arc itself.

Granted it made sense why Jessie failed all those Hoenn and Battle Frontier contests, she pretty much cheated or had no clue what she was doing in most of them.

May had the typical rivals who were antagonistic toward her like most rivals on the show, yet with Dawn they give her friendly and supportive rivals like Zoey/Kenny and Nando. The only mean one was Ursula, and she wasn't introduced until Sinnoh was nearing its end.

It's true, and I think it's great that a TR member has finally been given an actual legitimate goal, as opposed to just catching Pikachu all the time; but what about her teammates? James and Meowth usually just cower in the audience, commiserating with eachother over the awful things Jesse will do to them if she loses. While I do find that quite amusing, it's dissapointing that their characters are being otherwise ignored.

I hope that James and Meowth are given goals of their own, when the new Gen V series starts.

James is doomed like Brock is. To be in the background with no goal.

On top of that, the character interaction in the DP contests was dull at best.

Zoey comes off as Dawn's mentor more than her rival. Kenny's personality is pretty much the same as any filler kids on the show, and the writers didn't handle him well at all. Nando has a grand total of 3 appearances before the GF.

Now you see I liked that; it made a nice change of pace from snarling rivalries to have Dawn get treated by all the other characters like their little sister (Ash, Zoey, Conway(ish), even Kenny to an extent, though not Brock who is the only character to actually have little sisters). Frankly, I can't see why everybody is praising Ursula to the skies; she's basically Kanto Gary with her hair in curls.

I might aswell reconsider in that case to take break from pokemon series.
Having third coordinator girl in a row acting as a newbie along with Ash and Brock,is overkill if you ask me and im not the only one who feels this way.Many people are tyred of constant formula of girls being treated like garbage,with replacewmnts coming on their way just to ditch older ones with their stories being left unfinished never receiving closure being doomed to fall in obscurity.

Some change is needed and i wouldnt mind having new male for a change,with currnt girl or some older being broght back.In that case to avoid repetitivity with another coordinator better have Misty back,who is water trainer with purpose pof advaning her goal, aswell developing her more.She is likeable and popular alot worldwide so her return would boost things up,acting aswell like new character to kids who never saw he before.
She could do water competitions,pokethlon or even tag battles to improve her.It depends in which way writers would advance her goal,with events like Whirl Cup showing how there exists contests whic are serving as tasks for those who are striving to become water masters.

Or they could bring new girl,but at same time instead of Brock bringing some older girl back having presedan(something which never happened before),shaking up dynamic,including something fresh and new.

Im fine with Ash,he is good as character and this show was always about him.Some could argue how its about Dawn too,but in reality thats not entirely true seeing how unlike girls he always stays,aswell even in these days getting little more screentime which shows how writers still consider him more important than others.
But regarding girl department,i sincerely hope we wont get another newboie coordinsator,especially if Dawn wins GF(which has good chance of happening).

Bringing some older girl to fcus more on her,aswell tying up unfinished things regarding her would be better than new one doing contests,aswell being better received by peopl who want something different.

Dawn and Brock don't have any close friendship or meaningful moments together,

He often support her together with Ash (see beach school ep)
It's thanks to him that Mamo now listen to Dawn

it feels forced.

You're random ridiculous complaining? yeah...

All the previous groups had a sense of close-knit family-type bonding together. This is the first group I didn't feel that.

I can't see how that makes any sense at all... people randomly say it jsut because they personally preferred the other groups
As if Brock had any special relationship with Misty or May

I appreciate your opinions but I personally can't see much of a difference In Dawn's contests. They're more flashy but that's about it. Not to mention that the rivals this time suck worse than toothache.

Dawn is different from May - has her own personality, rivals, Pokémon, development, story... it's all different
Her Contests also added new elements who weren't there in May's Contest (Coordinators dress up, Ball Capsule and Seals, double performance, Contest battles in a water field...)

So no, there's more differences than "it's more flashy"
The rivals are different than the usual, fit Dawn's story perfectly and mostly great too
Zoey, Ursula and Jessie - all great rivals
Kenny - at least decent if not nice too
Nando is more the COTD of the League/GF with some backstory added, so I wouln't count him (he's more of a rival for Zoey than Dawn anyway...)

Dawn's story was different than May
People complain about it being "boring", but if they gave her story/rivals similar to May's, they'd call her a May clone...
There's no way to escape it, people just love to randomly complain about everything and it's simply ridiculous

The point is the Ash/Brock and new coordinator formula has gotten stale, to which I agree.

I think next gen will be Ash (Gyms), BW girl (Contests) and BW boy (whatever) so at least the Brock part might get changed

If next gen really is the same thing yet again, its going to be a chore to sit through such similar set-up.

And who exactly force you to watch the show? Feel free to stop watching when you feel like it... I, Piplup, the best Pokémon ever, gives you, Scott, the craziest member ever, my permission for you to stop watching this show

Overall Contests freshness is long gone, and they don't seem to be as popular overall as they were when they were originally introduced.

Overall Gyms freshness is long gone, and they don't seem to be as popular overall as they were when they were originally introduced

It honestly felt like the only reason they kept them in DP is because they

Because they wanted to have a boy star with a plot aimed at boys and a girl star with a plot aimed at girls

How so? All throughout DP I saw people constantly talking about how they liked the Paul rivalry, how great Ash's Sinnoh team was, and when the next Gym battle was.

I and some others always talked about Dawn, her rivals, her Contests, her Pokémon too
Actually, I and others too, like Dawn and her story equally or even more than Ash's
Stop trying to force your own personal biased opinion on everyone and stop trying to pretend there's an opinion that "the most agree with"
Everyone has his own personal opinion and that's it
You prefer Ash's story, I prefer Dawn's story (though I like Ash's too)

With Contest, I didn't see anywhere near that level of excitement.

I'm much more excited for the GF with the League
I doubt the League will show anything as awesome as Leafeon with light wings

Case in point, Ash Vs. Paul in the league is a far more anticipated match than Dawn Vs. Zoey is. How can anyone deny that?

I'm excited for both equally... and yes, I'm totally serious
Ash/Paul and Dawn/Zoey were opposite kinds of rivalries, which is what made DP so good - we got both the serious rivalry and the friendly rivalry and both were handled great in my opinion

Sure. But Ash's story this gen definitely overshadowed Dawn's by far.

They got more or less equal screen time

no rivalry was as closely followed as Ash/Paul in the fandom

Stop with this stupid word... who cares about "the fandom"?

I mean we're comparing Paul to Zoey here, what do you expect?

I expect the Zoey battle to be just as good as the Paul battle, that's what I expect

The freshness of contests is long gone.

Same could be said for Gyms
At least with Contests we have more variation and also freedom for the writers
We got many awesome combinations that just won't happen in a regular battle
They keep coming up with new ideas like double performance and make awesome different stories with the main character and their rivals
I totally expect BW girl to be different enough from both May and Dawn and get her own unique and just as good if not better story

They probably gave Jessie a subplot this saga because they felt the contest cast couldn't carry itself this time.

No, it was obviously for character development
In Hoenn, Jessie used a different identity every time and always cheated
In BF, Jessie used a permament identity and (other than one time when Harley made her do it) NEVER cheated, other than using James' Poké
They simply continued this development and now in DP, Jessie is a more serious Coordinator who keeps a permament identity, never cheat (other than the James Contest) and actually got to the GF and it seems like she decided to only use her own Poké

Jessie will probably get even better in BW - use only her own Poké and win all her ribbons the right way

If you are looking for a high-quality cartoon to enjoy, you're looking in the wrong place.

I actually think that as long as you REALLY like the idea of Pokémon and the Pokémon world, the show is almost perfect (other than a few annoying things here and there that any sane person will quickly get over it)
We get some nice battles, good character development and see the Pokémon world... I don't need anything else

Dawn's not the original coordinator, nor is she the one that made Contests popular to begin with.

She's the first true equal star
Anyway, people can be sad about her leaving as much as they want... you was allowed to do so with May, why can't we do the same?
No one says it's shocking, some of us simply believed (and some still believe) that there was a chance for Dawn to stay - there's nothing wrong with it and I'll say the same for BW girl too until proved otherwise
Everything can happen and we should always be open to ideas
Also, don't know about others, but while I used to say Dawn might stay, I always said that I realize it's more likely that she'll leave

Even if you expected it, you'll feel a little sad when she leaves if you like her... also, if they'd make it an emotional ep like I hope they'll do, you would feel a little sad even if you don't especially like her, unless you're cruel and emotional-less

They've clearly run out of ideas for the appeals and character interaction.

Flareon's huge awesome scary head
Leafeon with light wings

I think you're talking about the Gyms arc, not the Contest arc...

Flame Ice
Electric and water
Eating Ice Shard for power up
The spin move
Ice Aqua Jet

It'll never get old, it's getting better and better with the time

I blame Scott for this wall of text!

...It is boring to watch these episodes. They're not funny or interesting like back in the Kanto/Orange Islands/Johto days. Pokemon much lower quality than it was back then. I stopped watching as often. It's not really worth it anymore. The contests are especially lame with Dawn in them. May was a better coordinator.

Well, I'd be unhappy at first, then mutter some curses, then mutter "To hell with this!" and then I'll just wtach it and have fun.

As much as I want changes in the show, it's not "siriuz business" as some think.

...It is boring to watch these episodes. They're not funny or interesting like back in the Kanto/Orange Islands/Johto days. Pokemon much lower quality than it was back then. I stopped watching as often. It's not really worth it anymore. The contests are especially lame with Dawn in them. May was a better coordinator.

So...
You prefer Ash to have a rarely appearing rival with no interesting personality and no serious meaning to their rivalry over a real rival that appears a lot, has interesting personality and story and have a serious meaning to his rivalry with Ash
You prefer Ash to randomly get badges for free rather than give us good battles and earn them the right way
You prefer the girl character to be sidekick rather than star as equal to Ash
You prefer the beginner girl easily getting her ribbons rather than work hard for it and accept she's going to lose sometimes too

I'll never get these people... but anyway, unlike others, I will say that everything I say is only my own personal opinion and people can feel free to disagree
Hopefully some people (Scott) will learn not to post their opinions as facts

Since it will have contests, it will be great for me. While I want changes like everyone else, I long accepted this animé is repetitive.

But either way, it would be amusing the see reactions from fandom.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom