• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What if Pokemon was real?

I never said I’d collect them all at once, the second I stepped outside my door -_- It’s just that once I would have a team that I like, I wouldn’t bother trying to capture any others (unless they’re other ones I like that I could swap in and out once in awhile)

Besides, yeah, while you wouldn’t have strategy guides and fansites; you’d instead have trainer’s manuals which would probably list popular breeding locations for certain Pokémon, normal sites and forums that you could discuss training on, breeders you could buy or trade from, a black market, other trainers that could trade with you, and so on.

At least I’m not one of those people who goes around saying they’d want a full team of legendaries...

You know, chances are those trainer manuals would send you to Austrailia. So, you know, most pokemon will not be as common as you think.

Think of how many animals you see on a day to day basis. Dogs, cats, etc. Pets, in stores. So, you could get pokemon as pets. As for catching wild pokemon, try throwing something at a squrriel or a pidgeon and see how quickly they run away.

Also, training would take hours and hours of everyday just to learn basic commands. Involving it performing a task and you giving out a reward.

And to travel around the world with pokemon, is basically being homeless for a couple of years.

Another Fan said:
As for catching wild pokemon, try throwing something at a squrriel or a pidgeon and see how quickly they run away.
That's... probably why one needs to beat them to near unconsciousness....What I never understood is why fainted Pokémon were considered uncatchable, though that was probably just a thing for the games.

Another Fan said:
And to travel around the world with pokemon, is basically being homeless for a couple of years.
At least there are things like trainer cabins and Pokémon centers. Anyway, I bet being a trainer by profession wouldn't be nearly as common as we like to think anyway, so perhaps taking care of these people and their Pokémon could be afforded (especially if it's for entertainment...).

What I wonder about is animal cruelty laws. What would they be like? "Making animals fight each other is illegal... except for Pokémon, and here are the rule regarding Pokémon 'battle'..."?

I reckon i would become a breeder and give pokemon away to caring owners. Kinda like a pokemon pet-shop!

Kthleen said:
That's... probably why one needs to beat them to near unconsciousness....What I never understood is why fainted Pokémon were considered uncatchable, though that was probably just a thing for the games.

At least there are things like trainer cabins and Pokémon centers. Anyway, I bet being a trainer by profession wouldn't be nearly as common as we like to think anyway, so perhaps taking care of these people and their Pokémon could be afforded (especially if it's for entertainment...).

What I wonder about is animal cruelty laws. What would they be like? "Making animals fight each other is illegal... except for Pokémon, and here are the rule regarding Pokémon 'battle'..."?

Well, I don't consider that to be fairly easy.

And as for pokemon cabins and pokemon centers, I still don't find it very practical.

Well, it depends is animals still exist. And if pokemon battles are allowed.

Another Fan said:
Well, I don't consider that to be fairly easy.
Never said that that would be easy, just that it would be easier to hit a creature (regular animal or Pokémon) with a ball when it's half-conscious and thus lying fairly still, and that fainted Pokémon being uncatchable is weird.

Another Fan said:
And as for pokemon cabins and pokemon centers, I still don't find it very practical.
Probably aren't, though I wouldn't know all of the economic aspects of it....

Another Fan said:
Well, it depends is animals still exist.
Say they didn't. My questions are, in this case now, would Pokémon battles be allowed, and if so, what would have averted the ideas we have now of animal cruelty and laws thereof?

What do you mean "what if Pokemon was real?". What you are saying is actually discrimination! They are real and if there is something that is not real, it's you.

Um... there is no spoon?

...That should be "What if Pokemon were real", anyway. Yay for the subjunctive.

Yep, I understand that Kthleen. And actually when you think about it, it would be logical for pokemon battles to not be allowed either way.

So, if pokemon existed, basically, it would be very similiar to what we have now but a bit more um.. how do you say it? Weird. Yeah, ghosts and golems and stuff. Hard to work with in real world. So, I guess it would just be a strange but barely changed version of the current universe.

The way I see it, Pokemon exist primarily on the change of islands or whatever in which Pokemon takes place (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Orange Islands, etc), which I'm going to assume is somewhere in the Pacific Ocean. Living on the East Coast of the United States, my life would continue normally.

But I like to think of myself as a Pokemon trainer that was raised in Kanto, in terms of the "Pokemon reality", y'know?

If Pokemon were real, I would get a few of my friends together and travel around to become Pokemon master.

Another Fan said:
Yep, I understand that Kthleen. And actually when you think about it, it would be logical for pokemon battles to not be allowed either way.

So, if pokemon existed, basically, it would be very similiar to what we have now but a bit more um.. how do you say it? Weird. Yeah, ghosts and golems and stuff. Hard to work with in real world. So, I guess it would just be a strange but barely changed version of the current universe.
That just makes me curious about what exactly happened in their world. Perhaps it was the Pokémon's seeming desire to fight along with their toughness and odd people-friendliness?

It's interesting how willing to be with and to fight for their captors Pokémon seem to be. I suppose that would certainly help in terms of the humans deciding that they want to capture and have fights between these creatures and deciding that it's not cruel, or at least cruel enough to ban in the places we know of. If it is banned in places, I wonder how Ash-tachi would react to meeting them, and vice-versa. (Aw shoot, they'd probably have Ash-tachi have a talk with them, the people's Pokémon growing restless and ichy for battle soon after Ash-tachi's arrival because they saw the other human-owned Pokémon fighting, then have the people realize that suppressing their Pokémon's battling nature was what was actually cruel, and Pokémon battle would be legalized there, Ash-tachi leaving the place with a promise of a new local Pokémon center and maybe a new gym!)

I doubt they would have been so willing here, but if they had been, would "battle" have been allowed as long as people didn't keep them in small dirty cages and did show loving encouragement and concern for mental as well as physical well-being (...why would they be battling in the first place, then...)? Or would battle be seen as akin to boxing/wrestling, and "fainting" wouldn't necessarily be where they are knocked unconscious, but could also refer to just being unable to get up for a certain amount of time? And what kinds of attack would be unallowed? That one would probably depend on how tough Pokémon would be. (Steel-like bones, burn/freeze/stratch-resistant skin, and a very hardy brain and nervous system?)

If Pokemon started existing today, I'd imagine that Pokemon Battles wouldn't be allowed at least at first because of the general strength of Pokemon compared to our animals of our world, though they seem to be able to be tamed much easier.

Why do Pokemon like humans? I imagine that it's instinct more then anything. Outside of that, humans and pokemon mutaly benifit from a relationship. Humans gain protection, power, glory, money, a friend, and ect, while the Pokemon also gains protection, saftey, and food. In the wild, if a pokemon drops unconcious it's pretty vurnable, but if there's a human backing it up, dropping unconcious means that the human will protect it in a pokeball.

If pokemons were real :

there would be no school as many children in the world would prefer to battle an win pokemon matches than to study.

There would be thousands of pokemons centers for the pokemon tamers who would want to heal there pokemon.

Other sports would have been forgetten due to the popularity of pokemon battles and contests.

I'd probably breed Eevees. Eevees are so fun to breed, becuase when they grow up they can do so many different things....or I would be a trainer, but sleeping in a sleeping bag in the wilderness doesn't sound that fun. o_o;

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom