• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What if real life rules applied to pokemon

Shinx3000

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been asked before, but if so, lock this.

I was thinking, what if real life rules applied to pokemon, how would that change pokemon?

First, Brock's Happiny would never be able to lift those really heavy things and you couldn't lift a munchlax.

Can't really think of much now, but if anyone has anything feel free.

Legendary Pokemon wouldn't be gods and legends would be mostly false.

Legendary Pokemon wouldn't be gods and legends would be mostly false.

You mean people wouldn't worship a super powerful being and pass down stories about it. No you're right that never happens in today's world.

Most likely everyone would be dead from being roasted, electrocuted, frozen, etc. The age to be a pokemon trainer would also be raised since no parent in RL would let their child leave home at the age of 10 to go train wild animals

Ahem, it doesn't take god-like powers to be worshipped by humans. People worship animals, tools, objects, not just gods.

Humans wouldn't be the dominant species in a world where there are hundreds of species that are smarter (Alakazam), stronger (Machamp) and both smarter and stronger (Metagross) than them. Like Ryuu said, a lot of Pokemon wouldn't exist and the world probably would have been torn apart in a legendary scuffle by now Oo;

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone would be dead, as a single Magcargo has a temperature of 18,000 degrees farenheit, hotter than the surface of the sun. O.O

If real life rules applied, most Pokemon would get a serious debuff and most Pokedex entries (around 80%) would be false.

A new encyclopedia would be used to catalogue all Pokemon.

If real life rules applied, most Pokemon would get a serious debuff and most Pokedex entries (around 80%) would be false.

A new encyclopedia would be used to catalogue all Pokemon.

But if that's really how pokemon are, then they just plain wouldn't exist.

If Pokedex entries were actually true, then you would be right. But that's discussion for another topic.

Anyway, Pokemon are the animals of the Pokemon world so they would exist no matter what.

Pokemon would have to eat, drink and sleep or they would die. Plus they could bleed probably and break bones (they would need to have bones). Don't know how you'd explain the pokeballs but I doubt something like that could happen.

Pokemon would have to eat, drink and sleep or they would die. Plus they could bleed probably and break bones (they would need to have bones). Don't know how you'd explain the pokeballs but I doubt something like that could happen.
Well, Pokemon already can die (Pokemon Tower) and certain Pokemon are said to eat other Pokemon (Pigeotto -> Caterpie) so I think they already do have to eat or else they will die. You just don't have to feed your Pokemon in-game to simplify things for the kid players.

Also E=MC^2 (or Energy = Mass x Speed of Light squared) could easily explain Pokeballs at the given level of technology the Pokemon world seems to have.

If real life rules applied, but pokémon DIDN'T get a debuff (that is, they still can do the same things with the same power), they'd get much more scarier and relatively powerful.

It isn't much to lift a massive rock, but in real life that means a punch of that would be mortal. Furthemore standing such attacks means the creatures would dimish most we could do to them as mere scratches, so bullets and whatnot are for the most part useless.

The current society isn't adaptable to something like that, and it'd go wrong. Humans would attempt to destroy pokemon in futile efforts, and eventually they would naturally fight back. Plus, some pokemon already kill humans just out of their nature.

Shortly they'd take over the world, if it isn't physically gone by then.

If real life rules applied, but pokémon DIDN'T get a debuff (that is, they still can do the same things with the same power), they'd get much more scarier and relatively powerful.

It isn't much to lift a massive rock, but in real life that means a punch of that would be mortal. Furthemore standing such attacks means the creatures would dimish most we could do to them as mere scratches, so bullets and whatnot are for the most part useless.

The current society isn't adaptable to something like that, and it'd go wrong. Humans would attempt to destroy pokemon in futile efforts, and eventually they would naturally fight back. Plus, some pokemon already kill humans just out of their nature.

Shortly they'd take over the world, if it isn't physically gone by then.
Which is exactly why, if applying real life rules, Pokedex entries would be false and Pokemon would be much weaker than what Pokedex's claim.

Pokédex entries notwithstanding, if the actual rules of the real world applied, several ones just could not exist (and I'm being very generous here).

Things like rocks, eggs, trash bags, piles of sludge, balls of gas, lava, plants, hunks of ice, slabs of iron, chandeliers, sarcophagi (and any mixture of these things), cannot really be sentient.

That, and the rules of real life would make several Fire-types out of the question, as flaming animals tend to... well, die.

Actually, all those are explainable by evolution.

Cells absorbing minerals, cells immune to toxin, lightweight cells made of gas, minerals and exothermic internal reactions, endothemic water-absorbing cells, minerals, etc.

I actually developed a theory about how Pokemon could work in real life. I'll post it later.

Which is exactly why, if applying real life rules, Pokedex entries would be false and Pokemon would be much weaker than what Pokedex's claim.
I am not talking about pokedex entries, whatever the pokedex says has nothing to do with anything. I am talking about unknown alien biology that segregate inflamable substances and are adapt to living in intense heat, that uses much more efficiently resources to grow strange hybrids of tentacles and vines, and whatever else works for handwaving it.

Kind of "life unlike we know it" to explain their physiology. My point of view isn't subjecting the pokemon themselves, but instead accepting their abilities and subjecting those to the rules.

For instance, Pikachu. The red patches work in a manner probably similar to an electric eel or something, but the power is high enough for the electricity to escape and travel through air if there's an object nearby enough. This also means Pikachu can come entirely unscratched from several thunders and the heat and explosions those produce at the point they are generated.
If you've ever had a thunder fall nearby, you'll probably be able to imagine how'd be a creature firing that at will with no ill effects.

I don't care about how does it produce so much electricity. I care that it does it with enough strength to actually hit targets in a range on ground and everything that implies.

Last edited:
Pokemon would go extinct as humans destroy their natural habitats, leaving only such things as Grimer and Voltorb.
And the climax of a Pokemon battle would be much more tragic.

I went thar! (9 9)

Ahem, it doesn't take god-like powers to be worshipped by humans. People worship animals, tools, objects, not just gods.
The fact that they would be worshiped as gods make them gods. It doesn't take real god-like powers, just a belief that they have it.

If real world rules applied? A lot of those Pokemon would not exist.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom